Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

More computer help

edited February 2009 in Not Sports Related
Our computer has just started having an issue about opening links and sub pages from sites that we are in - ie when on a travel agents website looking at hotels and you go to click on 'more' for further details of holiday it either wont open at all, or we have to right click and open the page as new tab/window. Am sure the Charlton Life community can give me an easy cure for this !!!

Comments

• Literally hundreds of things could be causing this - spyware, a pop-up blocker, security settings in IE etc etc

Try this first and see if it helps:
    Quit all Internet Explorer instances
    Go to Start - Run - then type the following: regsvr32 urlmon.dll and hit 'OK'
    You should get a message pop up telling you that you've succeeding in registering a .dll

Try opening up Internet Explorer and seeing if that has worked.
  • My computer is asking me to install "Adobe Reader 8".
    Is it okay to do so ?
  • MOG dnt do it. If you do couple of days time two guys in black suits rock up and ask you if you have "turned it off and turned it back on". if you say no they cart you of to the IT interment camp .
  • Shhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiittttttttt !
    Thanks mate.
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]My computer is asking me to install "Adobe Reader 8".
    Is it okay to do so ?

Seriously, asking me still to "install".
    Is this a good idea ?
  • i wouldn't have any problem doing it, acrobat reader is a pretty standard piece of software. you can turn off the annoying nag screen for upgrades i think but can't remember how.
  • MOG - ignore what GH says - he has the technical nous of a gerbil.

Adobe Reader is perfectly safe - it is used to view '.pdf' documents (Portable Document Format) - which is a format designed to make documents appear universally similar to all users, independent of what version of Office software they're running (amongst other things). It is possible that something nasty is trying to install a 'fake' piece of software disguised as Adobe Reader, but highly unlikely
  • Yup should be fine with adobe reader 8, infact I think the old version has a security flaw in it. Regarding the browser issue , try downloading firefox
  • edited June 2009
    MOG careful fella Leroy is one of the men in black !! and PDF actually mean Pretty Dam Fu*ked.

PS Abode is ok to install fella, really ----no really it is.
  • Looks like GH is in on the plot to get poor old MOG carted off!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]Looks like GH is in on the plot to get poor old MOG carted off!

Still here.......just.

*****Boring Alert *****

Got a scanner printer today: a "HPDeskjet F4200 All-in-one" (it says on the box.
    Now need help to use it.
    Remember I'm pretty Stupid, so in laymans terms how do I :
    Scan or Copy something and then put it onto this (or a.n.other) site.
    I can print stuff (even I can do that....push "Print"..)but no idea how to "paste & Copy" ?
    Any help appreciated.
    Oh, and I also can't put an "account picture" on here, the "Feed is Broken".
  • Mog. Just hit the side of the monitor
    a few times like you do with the tv
    .... Computers they are the devils tools and
    IT guys his henchmen speaking in riddles and
    strange tounges
  • DG:
    Tried that 1st off....I'm not that stupid !!
    No joy tho'................anyone ?
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]Looks like GH is in on the plot to get poor old MOG carted off!

Still here.......just.

I can print stuff (even I can do that....push "Print"..)but no idea how to "paste & Copy" ?
    Any help appreciated.

Have you got yourself a mouse yet ? Thehn you can copy & paste with your eyes shut.
    It's simple enough really, even for an old git like me:

1) Drag your mouse over what you want to copy .....by continuously holding down left mouse button until the passage you want to copy is highlighted in blue.

2) Copying: Then press the 'control' and 'c' keys at the same time.

3) Set your cursor to where you want to paste the article (for example, in the Charlton Life 'comments box', as you would when making a normal post).

4) Paste: Then press the 'control' and 'v' keys at the same time.

And .....La Voila! send in the normal way when you've finished your post.
  • I just printed what you said !!
    I'm Good !!!

(Thanks again)
  • You're welcome, MoG.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll do it without even thinking about it.
  • [cite]Posted By: dartfordgent[/cite]Mog. Just hit the side of the monitor
    a few times like you do with the tv
    .... Computers they are the devils tools and
    IT guys his henchmen speaking in riddles and
    strange tounges
    No they're not - they're simple. If they weren't, the morons I've worked with over the years wouldn't have been able to use them. You just need a bit of patience and common sense. At the level of 'user' there are, literally, hundreds of books telling you how to use a PC. Why people think they should be able to just operate a piece of equipment like a computer without learning how to use it first is beyond me - you wouldn't expect to learn to drive a car without lessons and reading up on your theory test would you?

Go out and buy a book - much better than trying to get ad-hoc help from internet forums or web searches.
  • Thanks Leroy, but, as you say there are many books, can you recomend a decent one please ?
    Thanks again.
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Thanks Leroy, but, as you say there are many books, can you recomend a decent one please ?
    Thanks again.

and, just noticed on my laptop theres labels saying............

"Productivity Keys"
    "Video Conference" &
    "SignalUP".

Good things ?
  • I've got a question in case there are any genius' to save me from calling someone out to have a look.

My PC seems to be running slower than a 3 legged dog..

I have a virus checker which has done a full scan and found nothing. I have done malwarecheck, used spybotcleaner, and used adaware and still nothing.

Its like the memory had given up the ghost. Its mainly when I use itunes (I have approx 25000 songs on there) not showing pictures, and it just hangs and hangs.

The PC has 2 gig of memory which should be more than adequate to run firefox and itunes at the same time. The memory for those show as about 150,000 for itunes and about 120,000 for firefox.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as it's virtually unusable now!
  • Sponsored links:

• Any suggestions would be appreciated as it's virtually unusable now!

Have you tried switching it on and off?

Perhaps also try clearing out your cookies.

Go to "Tools" then select "Internet Options" and then "Settings" and then "View files" - this is where you'll find all the cookies/temporary internet files etc. You can can on most PCs just delete the entire lot which will free up some memory.

Also run the Defrag program:
    Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Defragmenter
  • I've done a defrag already and the cookies thing. ( I had someone run me through that over the phone) I've got quite a lot of space on the hard drive still as well. Is it just possible that the memory is corrupt?
  • Blackheath - how much free hard disk space do you have?
  • edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Any suggestions would be appreciated as it's virtually unusable now!

Have you tried switching it on and off?

Perhaps also try clearing out your cookies.

Go to "Tools" then select "Internet Options" and then "Settings" and then "View files" - this is where you'll find all the cookies/temporary internet files etc. You can can on most PCs just delete the entire lot which will free up some memory.

Also run the Defrag program:
    Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Defragmenter
    Much as that might sound like a pisstake, if you're one of those people that leaves their PC on for weeks at a time then a restart will clear all sorts of crap out. Of course, I never reboot my workstation - mine's been on for nearly three months solid now - and I never have a problem, but I work in IT and know what I'm doing. If you don't, then i recommend you reboot every time you've finished using it or every night before you go to bed.

It doesn't sound like a memory issue - 2Gb is more than adequate for what you want to do. Similarly, clearing out your cookies and temporary internet files won't make your PC any more responsive - it might speed up your browsing, but that's not the problem you're having.

Try seeing how much free disk space you have - if its less than about 5% you will encounter serious performance problems like the ones you've described.

If you have plenty of space available, then I suspect your disk itself may be on the way out - have a look through your event logs (Start - Run - type in 'eventvwr' and hit return) and look in 'System' for anything that looks like its related to 'disk' - if you've got errors or warnings, its time to replace your hard drive (before you lose all the data off it). A disk defrag won't help (the days when this made a difference are long past) and, in your case (if it is your disk that's failing), may actually exacerbate your problems (defragging is pretty disk intensive and can hasten mechanical failure on an already failing disk).

If you can't find anything related to your disk, then it may be overheating - usually this results in a PC rebooting itself rather than slowing down, but I've seen it happen before so its possible.

Other than that, it could literally be hundreds of things, so pretty pointless trying to diagnose it on an internet forum.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]I've done a defrag already and the cookies thing. ( I had someone run me through that over the phone) I've got quite a lot of space on the hard drive still as well. Is it just possible that the memory is corrupt?[/quote]

I doubt the memory is corrupt. But go here and run this program: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Have you installed any software recently, maybe that is holding something up? In any case have a look at what software you have and delete anything no longer in use, especially if it's file sharing software.
  • I cant remember exactly (im not at pc) but I'd say on the C drive approx 15 gig and on the F Drive about 80 gig. I wonder if keeping songs that are playing on itunes in 2 seperate locations (some are on c drive and some are on f drive) when itunes is on C makes any difference?
  • One thing you could do is to search your C:\ drive for 'dump' files (files created when Windoze shits the bed) and analyse them with the windows debug tools. That might be beyond you - but if you read up on it online, there are articles that will walk you through it - you might just find a moody device driver is the cause of all your problems.
  • I've always used the finger in the ear and shout ding a ling a ling three times method (c)- not quite text book but works for me ;o)
  • Thanks Leroy I'll check that out then and see if I get anywhere with that! Its a good job I've got a laptop at home otherwise I'd never get anything done!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]I've always used the finger in the ear and shout ding a ling a ling three times method (c)- not quite text book but works for me ;o)[/quote]

Yep, screaming & swearing at it is a much under-rated way of solving PC problems.