Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

More computer help

13»

Comments

• Options
    My computer's been getting slow recently.

I've read all the above suggestions.

Someone told me however that it's possible to just wipe everything clean off your PC and then start again. Is this possible and how?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I've got a macbook and have got quite a few films on it that i'd prefer to watch on my tv.
    Does anyone know which lead i'd need to connect the laptop to the tv. If it makes any difference the Macbook is about 9 months old and the tv is a Samsung PS50B430P2WXXU.

I cannot for the life of me work out which of the cables on this link i need. Can anyone help please?

Which one?

You need an HDMI cable

So will i need an additional cable as well then as on a macbook the sound doesn't go through the hdmi port?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]My computer's been getting slow recently.

Someone told me however that it's possible to just wipe everything clean off your PC and then start again. Is this possible and how?
    Yep - format and reinstall. You'll need either Windoze installation media, or (more likely) a reinstallation CD or a recovery partition on the machine.
  • Options

That is a drastic step. Have you tried running the 'Defrag' process?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I've got a macbook and have got quite a few films on it that i'd prefer to watch on my tv.
    Does anyone know which lead i'd need to connect the laptop to the tv. If it makes any difference the Macbook is about 9 months old and the tv is a Samsung PS50B430P2WXXU.

I cannot for the life of me work out which of the cables on this link i need. Can anyone help please?

Which one?

You need an HDMI cable

So will i need an additional cable as well then as on a macbook the sound doesn't go through the hdmi port?

There's an additional audio cable you need to get. It should be a 3.5mm stereo cable that you need. Like this:

Audio cable
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]

That is a drastic step. Have you tried running the 'Defrag' process?

Doing this again now but I think I tried this about a month ago when the computer started to get slow. I must admit that the other idea is a bit drastic and not only that but I haven't a clue what Leroy is on about. It's probably easier to take it to a shop and let a pro (like Leroy) sort it out.
  • Options
    Try downloading a program called Glarey utilies for free and run it this may sort out your pc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bigmac[/cite]Try downloading a program called Glarey utilies for free and run it this may sort out your pc.

This is excellent. Thanks Bigmac. Things seem to be quicker already and I haven't even rebooted yet.
  • Options
    Jimmy - DON'T take it to a shop. They will charge you a lot of money for something that is piss-simple (and probably f*** it up into the bargain). If you really get desperate, and decide you want to go the format & reinstall route, hit me up on here and I'll walk you through it (though obviously you'll need to borrow another laptop or PC while you do it!)
  • Options
    Dunno what is wrong with my Acer laptop, it starts up and when i try to enter my windows user account the windows log on music plays, and then immediately after, the shutting down music plays!!...it then goes back to the windows user accounts screen. Anyone have the faintest whats up with it???? (i have had the 'blue screen of death(?)' before on this laptop but then it magically started working again)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There are some major software updates due to be released by Microsoft this week. When I start my computer on days there is a Microsoft update, after it has started I get a message saying 'The computer will restart in 10 mins in order to install the important updates'. If I don't click the 'Retart' button it restarts itself after 10 mins. Maybe your computer is restarting itself immediately after it has received the updates.
  • Options
    OK in answer to the macbook pro question (sorry if someone has already answer this) I have done this in the past.

It depends on the inputs available on your TV which range from hdmi to vga, and from your Mac which I believe has DVI out (and no vga or hdmi)

connect DVI from the macbook to one of the following on the TV:

*dvi
    *vga
    *hdmi (via a dvi-hdmi converter)

then an audio cable (stereo small headphone jack) assuming your set has one, although you can sometimes get and hdmi converter that will also take the audio cable (dvi doesn't carry audio, but hdmi does)
  • Options
    computer running slow:

*use add remove programs in control to remove things you know to be spyware - take care not to remove anything you need
    *run a good spyware removal tool, then run something like PC doctor to tell if you've been sucessful in removing everything, you shouldn't need to buy it to do this
    *use a good anti virus tool to remove any viruses
    *defragment the hard drive two or three times to ensure its done properly (without interruptions)
    *look at what security software you are using, some of them slow things down

final and drastic measure before reinstalling:

From the run box, type msconfig

This will run a small application that allows you to remove things from the startup of the machine - take great care, you can select and deselect to see what is causing the problem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Dunno what is wrong with my Acer laptop, it starts up and when i try to enter my windows user account the windows log on music plays, and then immediately after, the shutting down music plays!!...it then goes back to the windows user accounts screen. Anyone have the faintest whats up with it???? (i have had the 'blue screen of death(?)' before on this laptop but then it magically started working again)

during boot up before the windows splash screen on black background appears, press f8 a few times and get up the safe mode menu, ideally you should be able to select last known good, or even just booting into plain safe mode might do it, if not you might need to get old of an ERD disc - these are great and allow you to boot into an xp shell off a cd then do a restore to a system recovery point from the machine itself - and hay presto it works!
  • Options
    No probs jimmymelrose glad it helped,dont forget to update Glary once a month and run it this should keep things running well.....