Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

More computer help

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]I've always used the finger in the ear and shout ding a ling a ling three times method (c)- not quite text book but works for me ;o)

Yep, screaming & swearing at it is a much under-rated way of solving PC problems.
    And, after last night's festivities at one of my data centres, a much under-rated way of solving SAN switch problems :)
  • Options
    The "idiots guides" are very good. Im half way through the "idiots guide to idiot books" 250 blank pages so far.
  • Options
    Sounds to me like your cache needs emptying....
  • Options
    Am halfway through 'Developing Client/Server Applications with Microsoft Access': what a read, can't put it down! But still not as good as my all time favourite,'A Guide to Client Server and Intranet Development'. To think I wasted all those years reading Ed McBain thrillers and Eagle comics!
  • Options
    BHA, are you using Comodo Firewall? If so press ctrl, alt, delete simultaneously & click on the Processes tab in the opened window. Look for something called cmdagent. If it is using a large percentage of memory then that may be the problem.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-tame-comodo-defense-without-disabling-it.htm
  • Options
    Thanks Darren. The only thing that is draining the memory is itunes and firefox that both use in excess of 100,000. I've checked through the rest but they seem to all be legitimate processes. I'll look into the cache thing.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    An overloaded cache is usually the most common reason for a normally fast computer to slow down, emptying it is quite easy, I've put a simple link for you to follow...

Follow this link to see how to empty your cache....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]An overloaded cache is usually the most common reason for a normally fast computer to slow down, emptying it is quite easy, I've put a simple link for you to follow...

Follow this link to see how to empty your cache....
    That's like saying the reason your car is slow is because your tires don't have enough air in them. Blackheath states that his problem manifests when he uses iTunes. A full browser cache is about as likely to affect that as Deon Burton is to score 30 goals this season.

Blackheath - having read your post again, you say that there are 25,000 files in your iTunes library. That leads me to believe the PC is pretty old - not necessarily ancient, but certainly old enough to have accumulated a lot of crap over time. Its more likely just a case of too many programs running at once (check in task manager and see what you're running - you'll be amazed how much shite loads itself at startup), resulting a registry heaving with crap from past and current installations.

100Mb of RAM isn't uncommon for Firefox & Itunes - FF especially is an absolute pig for RAM.

One thing you could try is running Process Explorer. This is a free download which will enable you to take a good real-time look at exactly which processes are consuming all your CPU cycles and chomping through your RAM. Run that and see what it comes up with - if you want, post a screenshot and I'll take a look.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I'd say the PC is probably about 4 years old. I dont have it at the moment as my brother is installing an additional 1TB hard drive for me but once I get it back I might just bite the bullet and start again from scratch. Just keep the music which obviously I dont want to lose. All the other software I can reacquire. I'll prob have to get someone to do this for me though because I'll probably sod it up. Incidentally I have done a registry scan, and I did go through all the processes running and I was led to believe they were all OK. I'm removed lots from my startup programs to speed it up in that respect but really the problems only really start once I've started itunes or mediamonkey (which I tried to use instead of itunes) and Im wondering if it's purely because I have too much music on there and the PC is too old to cope with it.
  • Options
    Incidentally Leroy where are you based? Do you do call out work?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What anti virus software do you run? some are better than others, even some of the free ones, and can find stuff that others dont ( I use AVG & sometimes Hijack This)
  • Options
    ESET NOD32 Antivirus!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]Incidentally Leroy where are you based? Do you do call out work?
    Croydon (arsehole of the universe). PM me for rates - haven't done too much call-out work in the last few years because I don't get the time - but let me know if you're interested and I might be able to work something out
  • Options
    Croydon? Prob a bit too far for me. Im out in Rochester! Shame! I really need someone who knows what they are doing to come and have a look at it without paying the earth for the privelage !
  • Options
    try downloading AVG free, run that, and then delete all history and temporary internet files, including all caches, that normally helps me when I start running slow, as Leroy said, it could be a number of things though, so its a process of elimination, and it cant hurt by doing it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]Croydon? Prob a bit too far for me. Im out in Rochester! Shame! I really need someone who knows what they are doing to come and have a look at it without paying the earth for the privelage !
    Rochester eh? I know someone who lives in Herne Bay who might be willing to do it. How much are you looking to pay - realistically?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]That's like saying the reason your car is slow is because your tires don't have enough air in them. Blackheath states that his problem manifests when he uses iTunes. A full browser cache is about as likely to affect that as Deon Burton is to score 30 goals this season.
    Doesn't ITunes create its own cache though...?

Not only that, ITUnes has always been notorius for high CPU usage, I deleted mine within days of installing it...
  • Options
    Foolishly let a youngerfmily member on me laptop....
    Now when I go to my e-mail/Googlemail "Mozella- Firefox Mozella" comes up in stead of my Google Mail 8 Page.
    How do I delete and get the old page back:

In VERY simple terms please.
    Thank You.
  • Options
    Anyone ?
  • Options
    Mac or pc mate?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Er.....
    Acer....5230E.......Intel Celeron.......Wimdow Vista.

Thats what it says on it !
  • Options
    Pc then.

When you turn it on and its all loaded, right click your broadband provider icon, then click on settings or prefrernces, you should be taken to your internet setup page, where you will see a box saying my home page, either enter in the address you want or scroll down to find your one, click on it, click on set as defult and you should be fine..
  • Options
    Sorry I really amthat/this thick.....
    Where is my "broadband provider icon" ?
    Sorry.
  • Options
    Who are you with? If not there will either be a big blue e or a globe, sky is multicolured sky logo, bt says bt internet.
  • Options
    Sky, but no "Sky" logo anywhere.
    Give up on me Ad, thanks anyway.
    Wll buy you apint in the Lib.

(Have to take this into the shop next week as its running slow anyway)
  • Options
    Last try mate, click on the start button, and click on 'my computer' then look for internet settings then as said above look for 'homepage' then change to yours, my folks have an acer, there's a tiny liitle globe with an e on it sown the botom by the sound control if you try the right click should be ok, see you sat hopefully mate.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    For a computer based Email programme...

Left click the windows logo in the bottom left corner...

Mouseover settings...

Click Control Panel...

Click Default Progammes...

Click Set Your Default Progammes...

Select the Email Programme you want...

Click Set this programme as default...

Hey Presto...

If are talking about your 'Home Page' there is a different method needed..

Let me know..
  • Options
    Thanks guys....
    Not sure how, but followed your advice,then hit it with a hammer and all is back to normal.
    Thank You again.
  • Options
    I've got a macbook and have got quite a few films on it that i'd prefer to watch on my tv.
    Does anyone know which lead i'd need to connect the laptop to the tv. If it makes any difference the Macbook is about 9 months old and the tv is a Samsung PS50B430P2WXXU.

I cannot for the life of me work out which of the cables on this link i need. Can anyone help please?

Which one?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I've got a macbook and have got quite a few films on it that i'd prefer to watch on my tv.
    Does anyone know which lead i'd need to connect the laptop to the tv. If it makes any difference the Macbook is about 9 months old and the tv is a Samsung PS50B430P2WXXU.

I cannot for the life of me work out which of the cables on this link i need. Can anyone help please?

Which one?

You need an HDMI cable