Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

World Cup 2026 - USA/Canada/Mexico

Venues to be announced by FIFA in a ceremony later today.

23 stadiums will be reduced to around 14-16 across the three countries.

I would expect four or five stadiums from Canada and Mexico and nine, ten, eleven or twelve from the States.

Some local governments are scrambling over each other to offer FIFA the biggest tax breaks so their stadium is chosen.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jun/16/fifa-2026-world-cup-sites-cities-funding?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1655390479

Comments

• Thanks for the heads up. Disappointed that Vegas got cut at an early stage of the bidding, but could probably have 150 different cities in the US that could probably host these games
  • edited June 2022
    Potential venues...

Canada:
    - Edmonton (56,000)
    - Vancouver (54,500)
    - Toronto (30,000 expanded to 45,500)

Mexico:
    - Mexico City (87,500)
    - Monterrey (53,500)
    - Guadalajara (50,000)

USA:
    - LA 1 Rose Bowl (92,500)
    - LA 2 Inglewood Stadium (70,000)
    - New Jersey (82,500)
    - Dallas (80,000)
    - Kansas City (76,500)
    - Denver (76,000)
    - Houston (72,000)
    - Baltimore (71,000)
    - Atlanta (71,000)
    - Philadelphia (70,000)
    - Nashville (69,000)
    - Seattle (69,000)
    - San Francisco (68,500)
    - Boston (65,500)
    - Cincinnati (65,500)
    - Miami (65,000)
    - Orlando (60,000)

Minneapolis, Chicago, Phoenix, Montreal, Washington DC, Charlotte, Detroit, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Tampa, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Regina and San Antonio were either cut or have dropped out. Calgary, Green Bay and San Diego were invited to bid but decided not to.
  • So Mexico hosted it in 1986
    And USA in 1994.

And England.......?
    And USA in 1994.

And England.......?
    Feel for Morocco then...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_hosts#Total_bids_by_country
  • Quite the contrast with Qatar in terms of distance and travel between each stadium.

Every stadium is more or less next door to each other in Qatar 
    And USA in 1994.

And England.......?
    Someone call the whaambulance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Potential venues...

Canada:
    - Edmonton (56,000)
    - Vancouver (54,500)
    - Toronto (30,000 expanded to 45,500)

Mexico:
    - Mexico City (87,500)
    - Monterrey (53,500)
    - Guadalajara (50,000)

USA:
    - LA 1 Rose Bowl (92,500)
    - LA 2 Inglewood Stadium (70,000)
    - New Jersey (82,500)
    - Dallas (80,000)
    - Kansas City (76,500)
    - Denver (76,000)
    - Houston (72,000)
    - Baltimore (71,000)
    - Atlanta (71,000)
    - Philadelphia (70,000)
    - Nashville (69,000)
    - Seattle (69,000)
    - San Francisco (68,500)
    - Boston (65,500)
    - Cincinnati (65,500)
    - Miami (65,000)
    - Orlando (60,000)

Minneapolis, Chicago, Phoenix, Montreal, Washington DC, Charlotte, Detroit, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Tampa, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Regina and San Antonio were either cut or have dropped out. Calgary, Green Bay and San Diego were invited to bid but decided not to.
    I know it hosted the final in '94 but Rose Bowl shouldn't be in contention with the grounds built this century. Dallas to host the final.
  • How many of the stadiums are “soccer specific”? My guess;

Toronto
    All Mexican stadiums 
  • se9addick said:
    How many of the stadiums are “soccer specific”? My guess;

Toronto
    All Mexican stadiums 
    Like Wembley? 
  • MrOneLung said:
    So Mexico hosted it in 1986
    And USA in 1994.

And England.......?
    It was 1966 Golfie. 
    Google is your friend. 
    Easy LOLs, well played
  • USA 94 is my favourite World Cup as it was the first tournament I ever saw. I was only 7 at the time, but everything about it looked absolutely stunning. Every stadium soaked in sunshine and all the luminous kits!

Would love to go out there for 2026.
  • Mexico city should hold the final. Probably a lot safer than anywhere in the states!
    And USA in 1994.

And England.......?
    Feel for Morocco then...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_hosts#Total_bids_by_country
    Was thinking 'surely our turn' for the next European one but Benelux have never hosted it 
  • I've only been to the Vancouver stadium on that list but it's a great venue and right in the downtown area.
  • colthe3rd said:
    I've only been to the Vancouver stadium on that list but it's a great venue and right in the downtown area.

I think it's relatively close to the alarming homeless drugged up crowd.

• Sponsored links:

• 13 minutes in and still no announcements. I should've known better than to expect them to actually mean 5pm eastern time.
  • WSS said:
    cafctom said:
    USA 94 is my favourite World Cup as it was the first tournament I ever saw. I was only 7 at the time, but everything about it looked absolutely stunning. Every stadium soaked in sunshine and all the luminous kits!

Would love to go out there for 2026.
    Of course it was. It’s one of only 3 world cups you could not be disappointed by England’s performance.
    And don't forget the plucky Irish  
  • edited June 2022
    Western Region hosts:

- Vancouver,
    - Seattle,
    - San Francisco,
    - Los Angeles (Inglewood),
    - Guadalajara
  • Central Region hosts:

- Kansas City
    - Dallas
    - Atlanta
    - Houston
    - Monterrey
    - Mexico City
  • edited June 2022
    Only the East left to announce so it won't be Edmonton or Denver. Nashville and Cincinnati hanging by a thread as Atlanta in the central grouping is east of both.
  • Eastern Region hosts:

- Toronto
    - Boston
    - Philadelphia
    - Miami
    - New York / New Jersey
  • edited June 2022
    Bad luck for Edmonton, Denver, Nashville, Cincinnati, Orlando and Baltimore. No Rose Bowl this time around either.
  • What a list of cities - should be an excellent tournament.
  • Shame that Canada only got two Venues, seems a little unfair in that respect.
  • When you look at how the 48-team World Cup will consist, there are going to be some poor teams at that Tournament.

I mean AFC (8-teams) | CAF (9-teams) - Since 1998, you get one, maybe two teams from each of those Confederations making it past the Group Stages, if the likes of Japan | South Korea | Senegal already struggle... What sort of hope is there for others.

COMMEBOL will get 6-entries, maybe 7... thats three countries who wont make the Tournament from that region!!

The only good thing is OFC get an automatic spot...

Given its a WORLD Cup, I've always found it ridiculous that the Oceania teams dont get a guarantee representation - I know I've just bitched about the Asian and African teams qualifying and being shit, but in that regard, might as well scrap Continental Qualification, and just have it like the FA Cup where its a free for all.