Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup 2026 - USA/Canada/Mexico

Comments

• Options
    There will be too many matches. I've always watched every match - if recording some and fast forwarding through some bits counts as watching every match .

With over 100 matches, I will be giving many matches a miss completely to the extent that I will probably watch less than usual overall.

I think that FIFA are shooting The World Cup in the foot.
    There's also the time difference to consider as depending on the venues, they will be anywhere from 4-7 hours behind, so some games won't be starting until past midnight in England.
    It will depend on how many games per day need to be squeezed in but 2014 in Brazil had games kicking off at 5pm, 8pm and 11pm UK time so I’d expect very similar - with probably another game kicking off at 2am as well, so 11 hours of non-stop football from 5pm to 4am.

The 1994 World Cup in the USA had kick off times that generally catered for European viewers, with the latest games starting at 4.30pm Pacific Time (12.30 in the UK).

But the problem is that now they have to fit in A LOT more matches.  

I read somewhere that they were discussing possibly having up to 6 matches on some days, with games starting at 1pm Eastern Time (6pm UK time) and continuing every two hours throughout the day. If that's the case there will be some long nights ahead for European viewers as it would mean games going on until 6-7am UK time.

US TV audiences are far more important now also, so good timings for US audiences will be a priority
  • Options
    Ultimately, there’s probably an expectation that the European viewers will just stay up an extra couple of hours and watch as a result of their dedication to watching football.

I’ll be planning to be out there for it, but if I was home then no doubt I’d be awake for every kick. 
  • Options
    The stadiums in the US are amazing. No other country comes close. 
    Helps having a series of sports leagues that act as profit-sharing cartels that bully Cities into building stadiums for them!
  • Options
    You'd have thought the terms would've been agreed before they officially announced the venues.
  • Options
    It would have been, now he wants to renegotiate. Not sure how much leverage he has as the USA isn't short of stadiums.
  • Options
    It would have been, now he wants to renegotiate. Not sure how much leverage he has as the USA isn't short of stadiums.
    That's what i was thinking. Tell him to do one and use another LA stadium instead like the Rose Bowl.
  • Options
    Depends on what the issue is, the article is clickbait.
  • Options
    edited February 5
    Match schedule / stadiums have been announced.

Opening game will involve Mexico on 11th June 2026 at the Azteca. Canada and USA will both play on 12th June in Toronto and Los Angeles respectively.

The final will be held on 19th July in New Jersey (MetLife Stadium).

Semi finals will be held in Dallas and Atlanta. Quarter finals in Massachusetts, Miami, Los Angeles and Kansas City. Round of 16: Philadelphia, Houston, New Jersey, Mexico City, Dallas, Seattle, Atlanta and Vancouver.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 5
    Slightly surprised as was expecting it to be Dallas, as that’s the biggest stadium and can make the most revenue.

Though seems like they’ve compromised by given them 9 games in total - more than any other city.

Also New Jersey has a slightly more favourable time difference with the core TV audience.  

Would love to see a game at the Azteca. Has to be the most iconic World Cup stadium based on 1970 and 1986 (Pele and Maradona)
  • Options
    edited February 5
    USA’s group games will be played in Los Angeles, Seattle and back in Los Angeles. 12th, 19th and 25th.

Mexico’s group games will be at the Azteca, in Guadalajara and then the Azteca. 11th, 18th and 24th.

Canada’s group games will be in Toronto, followed by two games in Vancouver. 12th, 18th and 24th.
  • Options

Opening game will involve Mexico on 11th June 2026 at the Azteca. Canada and USA will both play on 12th June in Toronto and Los Angeles respectively.

Semi finals will be held in Dallas and Atlanta. Quarter finals in Massachusetts, Miami, Los Angeles and Kansas City. Round of 16: Philadelphia, Houston, New Jersey, Mexico City, Dallas, Seattle, Atlanta and Vancouver.
    Surprised at this, as from what i've read the stadiums in Dallas and LA both have the potential to expand their capacity to just over 100k.
  • Options
    The new 61k stadium in Las Vegas doesn't make the cut due to the high level of grounds in USA. Seems strange they aren't hosting it on their own.

That said I agree with cafcTom regarding the Azteca.
  • Options
    The new 61k stadium in Las Vegas doesn't make the cut due to the high level of grounds in USA. Seems strange they aren't hosting it on their own.

Would the heat also be a factor? I’ve been to vegas a few times for July 4th and the heat at that time of year, even in the evening, is nuts.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Would the heat also be a factor? I’ve been to vegas a few times for July 4th and the heat at that time of year, even in the evening, is nuts.
    The stadium is climate controlled but you're probably right, Vegas in July isn't a great experience! 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

The stadium is climate controlled but you're probably right, Vegas in July isn't a great experience! 
    There’s been a ton of issues with the pitch as well 
  • Options

Surprised at this, as from what i've read the stadiums in Dallas and LA both have the potential to expand their capacity to just over 100k.
    MetLife is like 82k, SoFi is 70k. I don't know about the capability to expand though. 

I haven't been to SoFi, but grew up pretty close, and I have to imagine that traffic getting there is miserable. Probably the same for Jersey too (already seen one headline that "New York" will host the final), but while LA has more public transit than it did maybe 10 years ago, let alone when I was growing up, it's still a car centric city. 

I'm kind of sad that the USMNT will be playing their games on the west coast. Seattle is the closest stadium to me currently here in Oregon, and LA is I think a 15 minute drive from my parents'. But the US playing their games there will probably make it harder to get tickets in general. I was really looking forward to dragging my girlfriend to something like Sierra Leon v. Iceland and regaling her of stories about when JBG and Daniel Kanu were knee high to a grasshopper. She's a very lucky lady. 
  • Options
    gonna be some interesting KO times (UK wise) by the looks of it
  • Options
    USA’s group games will be played in Los Angeles, Seattle and back in Los Angeles. 12th, 19th and 25th.

Mexico’s group games will be at the Azteca, in Guadalajara and then the Azteca. 11th, 18th and 24th.

Canada’s group games will be in Toronto, followed by two games in Vancouver. 12th, 18th and 24th.
    Are they guaranteed qualification? How's that working this time round with hosts
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    follett said:

Are they guaranteed qualification? How's that working this time round with hosts
    They've been given 3 of their continent's slots, making it much harder for other north american countries to qualify. Although its really only Canada that wouldn't have expected to qualify with or without hosting it, given how many slots there now are.
  • Options
    gonna be some interesting KO times (UK wise) by the looks of it
    Earliest games will probably be 5pm BST and latest 1am. So, some decent evening watching but the last game of every day might be a challenge. 
  • Options
    follett said:

They've been given 3 of their continent's slots, making it much harder for other north american countries to qualify. Although its really only Canada that wouldn't have expected to qualify with or without hosting it, given how many slots there now are.
    It's expanded now though. As well as the 3 hosts, they have 3 other automatic qualification spots plus 2 who will go in the play offs. In Qatar they only had 4 places.
  • Options
    follett said:

Thanks. Sets an interesting precedent going forward
  • Options

Isn't the expansion (flat) standing areas that won't be in use for the world cup?

You stand in this area and watch a giant telly. 🤠

• Options
    Apparently SoFi and JerryWorld were too demanding in revenue, control over timings and things and basically put people off them having the finals. 
  • Options
    follett said:

To be fair, Canada topped qualifying for 2022 I believe. I mean we're looking 2-3 years into the future (for qualifying) but Mexico looked old and generally poor in qualifying and at the World Cup. And the US didn't qualify in 2018.

I by no means have my finger on the pulse aof CONCACAAF, but with the expanded field and lacking a kind of up and coming nation like Costa Rice was for a few years or Honduras before that, I think all three would qualify. 
  • Options
    edited February 5
    The top 6 in the current FIFA rankings for north america are currently 
    12 USA
    15 Mexico
    41 Panama
    48 Canada
    52 Costa Rica
    55 Jamaica

Then 76 Honduras, 78 El Salvador. With 6 slots available for automatic qualification it would have been a surprise if any of the 3 had missed out, and a huge shock if USA or Mexico had. So it was fair enough to let all 3 in automatically, I think.

I assume if there are future multi-country bids from Europe they'll either need UEFA to agree to give up qualification slots or accept that some of the hosts won't necessarily qualify.
  • Options
    The top 6 in the current FIFA rankings for north america are currently 
    12 USA
    15 Mexico
    41 Panama
    48 Canada
    52 Costa Rica
    55 Jamaica

Then 76 Honduras, 78 El Salvador. With 6 slots available for automatic qualification it would have been a surprise if any of the 3 had missed out, and a huge shock if USA or Mexico had. So it was fair enough to let all 3 in automatically, I think.

I assume if there are future multi-country bids from Europe they'll either need UEFA to agree to give up qualification slots or accept that some of the hosts won't necessarily qualify.
    All depends on who's in the group of countries yeah. 

The Spain, Portugal, Morocco co-host helps as you expect the former 2 to qualify usually, and Morocco takes an African slot and not a 3rd European slot
  • Options
     The Met Life in 2014, a rare picture in that the Giants won!