Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

World Cup 2026 - USA/Canada/Mexico

Comments

• Options
    Potential venues...

Canada:
    - Edmonton (56,000)
    - Vancouver (54,500)
    - Toronto (30,000 expanded to 45,500)

Mexico:
    - Mexico City (87,500)
    - Monterrey (53,500)
    - Guadalajara (50,000)

USA:
    - LA 1 Rose Bowl (92,500)
    - LA 2 Inglewood Stadium (70,000)
    - New Jersey (82,500)
    - Dallas (80,000)
    - Kansas City (76,500)
    - Denver (76,000)
    - Houston (72,000)
    - Baltimore (71,000)
    - Atlanta (71,000)
    - Philadelphia (70,000)
    - Nashville (69,000)
    - Seattle (69,000)
    - San Francisco (68,500)
    - Boston (65,500)
    - Cincinnati (65,500)
    - Miami (65,000)
    - Orlando (60,000)

Minneapolis, Chicago, Phoenix, Montreal, Washington DC, Charlotte, Detroit, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Tampa, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Regina and San Antonio were either cut or have dropped out. Calgary, Green Bay and San Diego were invited to bid but decided not to.
    I know it hosted the final in '94 but Rose Bowl shouldn't be in contention with the grounds built this century. Dallas to host the final.
    The stadium in Dallas, ain’t even in Dallas. It’s an hours schlep in Arlington.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Same for LA and Boston, an hour away in traffic. 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    colthe3rd said:
    I've only been to the Vancouver stadium on that list but it's a great venue and right in the downtown area.

I think it's relatively close to the alarming homeless drugged up crowd.

Lol BC Place is not that close to East Hastings (the awful street in question) and there's loads of bars around the stadium.

There really is very little excitement about football here so it will be nice for the little Vancouverites to experience a proper atmosphere for once.

• Options
    Same for LA and Boston, an hour away in traffic. 
    Its quite common for big American sports events held at Metlife Stadium to brand it as a host city of "New York/New Jersey", I suspect purely just to make it sound a bit grander.

Its in New Jersey. 
  • Options
    The US is well set up for the World Cup. Some of the NFL stadiums are absolutely huge. the 14 biggest stadiums have a 70,000+ capacity.

God knows how Wisconsin has a 81,000 stadium.

• Options
    The US is well set up for the World Cup. Some of the NFL stadiums are absolutely huge. the 14 biggest stadiums have a 70,000+ capacity.

Lambeau Field- Green Bay Packers
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    MrOneLung said:

Lambeau Field- Green Bay Packers
    The University of Wisconsin stadium holds over 80,000 too. Spent a few Saturday’s there.
  • Options
    Gutted Edmonton got ditched. Likely because of another master stroke by the fuckwits we currently have to put up with for a provincial government. 

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    colthe3rd said:
    I've only been to the Vancouver stadium on that list but it's a great venue and right in the downtown area.

'Alarming homeless drugged up crowd'? Relatively close? 
    I'd have to say you are full of shit, Dave.
    Be better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    colthe3rd said:

Lol BC Place is not that close to East Hastings (the awful street in question) and there's loads of bars around the stadium.

There really is very little excitement about football here so it will be nice for the little Vancouverites to experience a proper atmosphere for once.

Yet another poster spouting from their rear end. Great interest in football at all levels. And as for 'little vancouverites' - what a condescending prick.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    colthe3rd said:

Thanks for clarifying, I didn't think it was that close to the rough parts. As you said great bars nearby, I drank in a few with a load of Whitecaps fans. Was great fun.
  • Options
    When you look at how the 48-team World Cup will consist, there are going to be some poor teams at that Tournament.

I mean AFC (8-teams) | CAF (9-teams) - Since 1998, you get one, maybe two teams from each of those Confederations making it past the Group Stages, if the likes of Japan | South Korea | Senegal already struggle... What sort of hope is there for others.

COMMEBOL will get 6-entries, maybe 7... thats three countries who wont make the Tournament from that region!!

The only good thing is OFC get an automatic spot...

Given its a WORLD Cup, I've always found it ridiculous that the Oceania teams dont get a guarantee representation - I know I've just bitched about the Asian and African teams qualifying and being shit, but in that regard, might as well scrap Continental Qualification, and just have it like the FA Cup where its a free for all.

Imagine a world cup every summer! Or once every 2 years. 50+ nations

All qualifier games stop and it's just warm up friendlies.

The winner of every world cup hosts the following tournament.

Keeping it simple
  • Options
    Potential venues...

Canada:
    - Edmonton (56,000)
    - Vancouver (54,500)

Mexico:
    - Mexico City (87,500)
    - Monterrey (53,500)
    - Guadalajara (50,000)

USA:
    - New Jersey (82,500)
    - Dallas (80,000)
    - Kansas City (76,500)
    - Denver (76,000)
    - Houston (72,000)
    - Baltimore (71,000)
    - Atlanta (71,000)
    - Philadelphia (70,000)
    - Nashville (69,000)
    - Seattle (69,000)
    - San Francisco (68,500)
    - Boston (65,500)
    - Cincinnati (65,500)
    - Miami (65,000)
    - Orlando (60,000)

Minneapolis, Chicago, Phoenix, Montreal, Washington DC, Charlotte, Detroit, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Tampa, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Regina and San Antonio were either cut or have dropped out. Calgary, Green Bay and San Diego were invited to bid but decided not to.
    I know it hosted the final in '94 but Rose Bowl shouldn't be in contention with the grounds built this century. Dallas to host the final.
    Rose Bowl didn't make the cut.

I think they'll go with the LA Rams stadium for the final, think i read somewhere that the capacity can be expanded to 100k. It hosted the last Superbowl and will also be the stadium for the 2028 Olympics.
  • Options
    To be honest there's 5 or 6 stadiums that could host the final.

Given the 48 teams and the size of the stadiums, I think this will set the record for most attended World Cup, and then hold that record for a very long time
  • Options
    Potential venues...

Canada:
    - Edmonton (56,000)
    - Vancouver (54,500)

Mexico:
    - Mexico City (87,500)
    - Monterrey (53,500)
    - Guadalajara (50,000)

USA:
    - New Jersey (82,500)
    - Dallas (80,000)
    - Kansas City (76,500)
    - Denver (76,000)
    - Houston (72,000)
    - Baltimore (71,000)
    - Atlanta (71,000)
    - Philadelphia (70,000)
    - Nashville (69,000)
    - Seattle (69,000)
    - San Francisco (68,500)
    - Boston (65,500)
    - Cincinnati (65,500)
    - Miami (65,000)
    - Orlando (60,000)

I think they'll go with the LA Rams stadium for the final, think i read somewhere that the capacity can be expanded to 100k. It hosted the last Superbowl and will also be the stadium for the 2028 Olympics.
    I read Dallas stadium was going to be the final stadium. I’ve been there and it’s a very impressive venue. Selfishly, hoping it will NY as much easier (cheaper to fly there).
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    USA 94 is my favourite World Cup as it was the first tournament I ever saw. I was only 7 at the time, but everything about it looked absolutely stunning. Every stadium soaked in sunshine and all the luminous kits!

Would love to go out there for 2026.
    I was just thinking while reading the Guardian article: they'll never be a better time for a family holiday to the US.
    But then again, I'd be doing too much other stuff and missing too many matches.🙂
  • Options
    Potential venues...

Canada:
    - Edmonton (56,000)
    - Vancouver (54,500)

Mexico:
    - Mexico City (87,500)
    - Monterrey (53,500)
    - Guadalajara (50,000)

USA:
    - New Jersey (82,500)
    - Dallas (80,000)
    - Kansas City (76,500)
    - Denver (76,000)
    - Houston (72,000)
    - Baltimore (71,000)
    - Atlanta (71,000)
    - Philadelphia (70,000)
    - Nashville (69,000)
    - Seattle (69,000)
    - San Francisco (68,500)
    - Boston (65,500)
    - Cincinnati (65,500)
    - Miami (65,000)
    - Orlando (60,000)

No surprises, it's a relic and the So-Fi stadium is one of the best in the world and a worthy final host. With all the cities listed over 3 countries, one of which is an actual football/soccer country having two in LA would be a piss take. Not sure about the 100k capacity as they didn't have that for the Super Bowl? Could include standing which won't be allowed at the world cup?

48 teams seems too much IMO. 16 for the Euros and 32 for the worlds was perfect IMO, I know a lot preferred the 8 team Euros. Regarding Oceania, although if you can't beat the 5th best South American team or 4th best North American team you shouldn't be there IMO, it's hard to justify when it's 48 teams. Guess it's political due to moving Australian in to the Asian qualifying? 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    colthe3rd said:

I know East Hastings crowd all collectively overdose on morphine/medical drugs.

A Canadian dealer may casually stroll about and exchange a $20 for them to head towards an early grave. The road of 500 ambulances may gain a lot of tourists
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's worth noting that despite more teams and more games overall (64 increasing to 80), teams won't actually play more games. The finalists will still play 7 games.

The new format group stage could become a bit of a farce though. 3 team groups obviously means teams won't play their last games at the same time, so some sides will have an advantage.
  • Options
    It basically dismantles the group stage as we’ve known it for multiple editions in a row. Part of the charm of the World Cup for me and it will be sad to see it go.

Once we get into the knockout rounds though it won’t be any different.
    Similar to the current format of the champions leagues. I reckon if after the group stage they did a poll on here to name the 16 teams who qualifies to the knockouts, 14+ would probably be guessed by 99% of us.
  • Options
    It snowed this week in Mexico City I think

rhat would be novel wouldn’t it!  World Cup final with an orange ball played in a snowstorm
  • Options
    America and Mexico  AGAIN . Since England had it last these two countries have had 3 shots . This will be 3 . 
    Mexico stepped in to host 1986 World Cup after Columbia pulled out for economic reasons. Ironically they beat US and Canada to step into the breach but that decision also had quite some controversy about it. 
  • Options
    Gutted Edmonton got ditched. Likely because of another master stroke by the fuckwits we currently have to put up with for a provincial government. 

Seriously - I hadn't seen this bit!

I despise Kenney & the UCP with every fibre of my body....
  • Options
    I kinda get why USA has got a second one. 

1994 was for fifa to try and crack America and part of the award was on basis of them setting up a professional league. 

This is reward for getting the MLS running quite successfully. Interest is higher than ever - average over 20k a match and lots of cities interested in being expansion teams. 
    Over 20 teams now have “soccer specific” stadia 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    MrOneLung said:
    I kinda get why USA has got a second one. 

1994 was for fifa to try and crack America and part of the award was on basis of them setting up a professional league. 

This is reward for getting the MLS running quite successfully. Interest is higher than ever - average over 20k a match and lots of cities interested in being expansion teams. 
    Over 20 teams now have “soccer specific” stadia 
    Its just a repeat of when South Africa got the 2010 World Cup.

FIFA knew they should have given 2022 to the United States, but got paid off by Qatar, which in turn opened the investigations into Sepp Blatter etc... They've basically given the 2026 tournament as a way to sweeten them back up - I mean this bid got 134 votes, the runner up (Morocco) got just 65
  • Options
    good choice .. nice stadia, good transport systems, reasonably priced hotels (hope the prices are not raised TOO much), nice people and a lot to see and do when not at the games .. problem could be that say England start the games in Boston and then are drawn in Mexico or West Canada for the next round, that is a lot of travelling .. also, let's hope that the £ does not drop too much against the $ over the next few years
  • Options
    Hopefully they’ll set up the groups so that they are regionalised in some way to reduce the travel each team and their fanbase.