Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    F@cking cheeky cnuts.
    Ed f@cking f.
    Took over my green network energy account end of jan 21.
    Sent email june 21 for the closing account saying we dont have to do nothing at the moment including paying the £95 they think the bill is.
    Just got in from work and the wife said your not going to be happy theres a letter from edf.
    If we dont pay in the next 14 days will send debt recovery firm round.
    Cheeky f@ckers.
    Will enjoy ringing them up saying theyve got the bill wrong and it's about, £25 I owe them.
  • Options
    So now we see E.On, one of the largest energy suppliers calling on the government to do more. It says that up to 40% of its customers will be in fuel poverty by October. It’s really quite remarkable that people aren’t making more fuss about this lack of any help. 

E.On UK boss warns 40% of customers face fuel poverty https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61541294
  • Options
    Price cap on energy to increase in October from £1,971 to £2,800. Next winter is going to be very interesting.
  • Options
    I'm sure these energy companies that are reporting record breaking revenues and profits could also do something to help those struggling.

They won't, though.
    Needs a windfall tax.
  • Options
    I'm sure these energy companies that are reporting record breaking revenues and profits could also do something to help those struggling.

They won't, though.
    they'll be allowed to "invest" these profits, aka spaffing them up the wall on R&D projects (that also happen to be a tax write off in themselves).
  • Options
    Price cap on energy to increase in October from £1,971 to £2,800. Next winter is going to be very interesting.
    We'll also likely be in recession by then. There are some people who are going to die because of this. 
  • Options
    Could be another winter of discontent 
  • Options
    Be a winter of being disconnected as no one will be able to pay there energy bills. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fuck the windfall tax, they need to be nationalised. 4% in France, 50% here and rising.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    Fuck the windfall tax, they need to be nationalised. 4% in France, 50% here and rising.
    Yes you're right, but it won't happen with the rabble that govern this country.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I have a weekly meeting with E.on as my company has a contract with them to install renewable products. Last week they were say that at this time just over 500k of their 8 5m customer base is behind with their Bill's. They are estimating that by March 2023 over 3m will be in that position. A windfall tax that equates to a few hundred quid per household isnt going to touch the sides unfortunately.

If any of you have some spare cash I strongly advise you to get Solar Pv, battery storage and get yourselves on a smart tariff to charge the batteries overnight. This isnt a sales pitch as we do not install down south its honest genuine advice. 

I think in September this year the major energy companies will be offering to pay for renewables to be installed on everyone's houses and put the cost onto the household bill interest free over 10 years if the householder wants it so sit tight if you havent got the spare cash

What's the outlay likely to be and how much will it save? 
  • Options
    I must admit i am confused about this price cap.Prior to april,I was paying £160.00 per month to British Gas as a combined gas -electricity payment that is £1920.pa,I am now paying £260.00 per month£3120.00 pa,is this too much there are only two of us in a 3 bed house.
  • Options
    I must admit i am confused about this price cap.Prior to april,I was paying £160.00 per month to British Gas as a combined gas -electricity payment that is £1920.pa,I am now paying £260.00 per month£3120.00 pa,is this too much there are only two of us in a 3 bed house.
    What the energy companies are trying to do is increase everyone's DD in an attempt to build up a credit balance to try and mitigate a massive increase in October. Average price increase expected to be approx 42% with the new cap in Oct mate
  • Options
    @AndyG thanks for the note above, which is really interesting. Must admit I’m shocked at the amount of electricity you’re using though. 

Coincidentally, Royal Borough of Greewnwich are part of the latest London Mayor drive for “Solar Together”.  It’s offered to all London residents and, depending on the uptake, it then goes out to tender.  The winning installer this time is a firm called GET UK.

I had to make a judgement on the number of panels needed and they quoted for the panels and, if wanted, a battery.  There will still be a formal consultation, but the initial suggestion is:

Number of panels : 15
    Panel brand : Jinko Solar
    Inverter Brand : Fox ESS
    Battery brand : Fox ESS
    Battery Capacity : 4.6kWh

Cost : £10,572 (inc VAT) (£7,625 for the panels & £2,947 for the battery)

I just put this here now for reference for anyone thinking about doing this.  The current drive ended a couple of weeks ago but I would suspect that, given where this is all going, another drive will be made soon. 
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    Agree. Nationalisation in this context is effectively a no brainer. Current ideology runs against it though, so it won't happen.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    @AndyG thanks for the note above, which is really interesting. Must admit I’m shocked at the amount of electricity you’re using though. 

Coincidentally, Royal Borough of Greewnwich are part of the latest London Mayor drive for “Solar Together”.  It’s offered to all London residents and, depending on the uptake, it then goes out to tender.  The winning installer this time is a firm called GET UK.

I had to make a judgement on the number of panels needed and they quoted for the panels and, if wanted, a battery.  There will still be a formal consultation, but the initial suggestion is:

I just put this here now for reference for anyone thinking about doing this.  The current drive ended a couple of weeks ago but I would suspect that, given where this is all going, another drive will be made soon. 
    Out of interest, how much of your electricity are you expected to get from that outlay? Just looking at even if that provided me with 100% of my electricity it's broadly a ten year pay back (granted prices will be increasing!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    TelMc32 said:

Out of interest, how much of your electricity are you expected to get from that outlay? Just looking at even if that provided me with 100% of my electricity it's broadly a ten year pay back (granted prices will be increasing!)
    That’s something I want to cover in the consultation @Rob7Lee   The initial proposal, included with those pricings above, suggested I would be 75% independent of the grid. But it also suggests the panels will generate 5,169kWh per year, of which I am only using 2,171.  

They calculate their numbers on 28p per kWh used - my tariff is already 29.63p. Selling excess electricity back to the grid is based on 7.5p per kWh, which is apparently the best price currently paid at the time of the review. 
  • Options
    Ive had solar panels on my roof for about two months now. Similar to TelMc32's quote above. Averaging almost 80% saving on electricity bills so far. that is at least £120 per month probably between April and October. Will be less over winter but must be somewhere near £1200 saving in a year will hopefully mean breaking even in just over 8 years. If prices go up again might get closer to 7 years. I havent included what BGas will pay me for the exported electricity, thats not much though, doubt it will get to £100 per year unless I change suppliers. Its also probably best to not purely look at it as a break even competition though, its also something that is good to do!
  • Options
    arthur said:
    Ive had solar panels on my roof for about two months now. Similar to TelMc32's quote above. Averaging almost 80% saving on electricity bills so far. that is at least £120 per month probably between April and October. Will be less over winter but must be somewhere near £1200 saving in a year will hopefully mean breaking even in just over 8 years. If prices go up again might get closer to 7 years. I havent included what BGas will pay me for the exported electricity, thats not much though, doubt it will get to £100 per year unless I change suppliers. Its also probably best to not purely look at it as a break even competition though, its also something that is good to do!
    That was one of my main thoughts @arthur

Also, in the short-term I can only see electricity prices increasing, but even if they start to fall again in the future there is likely to be more need for electricity as gas is phased out & electric cars become more common. 

• Options
    The cost of solar panels and batteries rules out 99.9% of U.K. homes. It might well be the ecological thing to do and over the long game be cost effective but for most people it’s a fantasy. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Thanks for the reply @AndyG. My situation is that i'm looking at an extra few grand to repair/replace my roof before I put up solar panels. Once I do that the cost is comparable to a heat pump system. I was wondering which is the better bet if I can only afford one of them?
  • Options
    The cost of solar panels and batteries rules out 99.9% of U.K. homes. It might well be the ecological thing to do and over the long game be cost effective but for most people it’s a fantasy. 
    It is probably out of reach for a lot of homes, but nowhere near 99.9%!
  • Options
    Somebody mentioned the French and how much better they are doing. That's partly due to to the fact that they invested heavily in nuclear power many years ago, something we should have done but the environmentalists didn't like it (what do they fucking approve of?). What is even crazier is that we are sitting on millions of cubic metres of natural gas and refuse to extract it.
    I am not opposed to any renewable energy, but lets be realistic here, wind and solar power are never going to be enough for a country in Northern Europe with a population fast approaching seventy million.
    Mind you, up until now solar panels were probably a waste of money due to the payback time, but given the new cost of electricity they may now be much more viable. Anyone have any idea?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    arthur said:
    It is probably out of reach for a lot of homes, but nowhere near 99.9%!
    90% then. The actual figure is really irrelevant. It’s a pipe dream for most households 
  • Options
    Landlords aren't going to be bothered with making expensive improvements, when they are not going to benefit from lower bills. When people are struggling to pay their bills, the last thing they will be able to spend money on is the installation of batteries etc.