Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    Just wondered if anyone on here have had solar roof tiles (not solar panels)  fitted , and who they used, and was it worth it?
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply @AndyG. My situation is that i'm looking at an extra few grand to repair/replace my roof before I put up solar panels. Once I do that the cost is comparable to a heat pump system. I was wondering which is the better bet if I can only afford one of them?
    It depends what your existing heating system is mate. If its oil, lpg then an ASHP will save you atleast 50% of your heating bill. Solar PV is imo a complete no brainer if anyone has savings and they are not planning on moving. Any solar Pv will give a much bigger ROI than even the best investment via interest rates without even trying to use them the best way by monitoring your production and using what your generating. I honestly dont get the negativity towards them yet if a financial advisor was offering anything like the % ROI people would be hammering their door down.
    The simple answer mate is solar is a dead easy investment choice, heat pumps need a bit of analysis regarding your household
  • Options
    Not one post on this thread since yesterday.
    I take it the money put forward was sufficient then?
  • Options
    Just wondered if anyone on here have had solar roof tiles (not solar panels)  fitted , and who they used, and was it worth it?
    Great question. Considering this in an extention we're planning in a year or so. Be good to hear pros and cons of them.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    There's a few posts in HoC, de politicised I posted;

Pensioners is always a difficult one as just because you are 65+ doesn't mean you are poor, but as we know the poorest pensioners when means tested many tend not to apply, so overall it makes sense.

Still think they should also have temporarily dropped VAT on fuel as well though.

I'll receive the £400 only, which I'm lucky enough not to need, so if you are like me maybe consider donating some or all of it to one of the charities such as NEA.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I also think it’s worthwhile for those of us that can afford it to start putting an item or two in the food bank donation box when we visit the supermarket. It really doesn’t have to be much but might make a huge difference to some struggling family.

Cant believe I’ve felt the need to write that in the U.K. in 2022. Absolutely shocking.
    I know a couple of supermarkets were looking at it but dropped the idea, but having the ability to round up your shopping bill to the nearest pound with the difference going to a food bank would also really add up and allow the food banks to buy exactly what they need (they always have a surplus of some items and not enough of others).

A good friend of mine is CEO of The Hygiene Bank, they are also a very worthy cause as people tend to drop those type of products before food/fuel.
  • Options
    perhaps solar panels and non gas heating equipment could be built into every new house and block of flats/apartments .. that would be costly but some form of government subsidy could be on the agenda
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    clb74 said:
    There's a few posts in HoC, de politicised I posted;

Pensioners is always a difficult one as just because you are 65+ doesn't mean you are poor, but as we know the poorest pensioners when means tested many tend not to apply, so overall it makes sense.

Still think they should also have temporarily dropped VAT on fuel as well though.

I'll receive the £400 only, which I'm lucky enough not to need, so if you are like me maybe consider donating some or all of it to one of the charities such as NEA.

In an ideal world it would be means tested.

Likewise, and mine will be going to The Christie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I also think it’s worthwhile for those of us that can afford it to start putting an item or two in the food bank donation box when we visit the supermarket. It really doesn’t have to be much but might make a huge difference to some struggling family.

Cant believe I’ve felt the need to write that in the U.K. in 2022. Absolutely shocking.
    I always buy a couple of tins of soup or beans and a pack of pasta for the donation trolley/container 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

I know a couple of supermarkets were looking at it but dropped the idea, but having the ability to round up your shopping bill to the nearest pound with the difference going to a food bank would also really add up and allow the food banks to buy exactly what they need (they always have a surplus of some items and not enough of others).

A good friend of mine is CEO of The Hygiene Bank, they are also a very worthy cause as people tend to drop those type of products before food/fuel.
    my local Tesco has a round up donation facility, in this case for the Red Cross .. also when booking at Travelodge there is a facility to donate 50p or so to MacMillan cancer care
  • Options
    perhaps solar panels and non gas heating equipment could be built into every new house and block of flats/apartments .. that would be costly but some form of government subsidy could be on the agenda

We are now 100% electric - took out the oil fired system (we do not have mains gas). Pricey now but should turn out well in the long run.

I'm now looking at solar and batteries.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

We are now 100% electric - took out the oil fired system (we do not have mains gas). Pricey now but should turn out well in the long run.

thing is, most can't afford to do that for older houses .. if the panels and heaters were built in, that makes it easier, though that of course does not fix up old properties .. around my village and on the roads into town, there are literally hundreds of new houses being built (I exaggerate not) .. I'll wager not one has neither panels nor non gas heaters included .. come to that, I will ask around to find out
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

thing is, most can't afford to do that for older houses .. if the panels and heaters were built in, that makes it easier, though that of course does not fix up old properties .. around my village and on the roads into town, there are literally hundreds of new houses being built (I exaggerate not) .. I'll wager not one has neither panels nor non gas heaters included .. come to that, I will ask around to find out
    This could be easily resolved by making it a condition of planning permission and not just a token amount.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    bobmunro said:

Agreed - much cheaper if part of the original build. 

I'll wager you are right on the new houses near you, Lincs - our two sons both bought new build houses 18 months or so ago and standard wet radiator/gas boiler set-up. Developer was David Wilson but I'm sure it would be a similar story with all the main developers.
  • Options
    Hardly progressive, is it?

I suppose the problem is the associated admin processes to restrict it as well as means testing is a) costly and b) there isn't time to put it in place.

Still it would have been a surprise if the Tories did anything else. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    bobmunro said:

I suppose the problem is the associated admin processes to restrict it as well as means testing is a) costly and b) there isn't time to put it in place.

It does seem unfair, but how to restrict it per household simply other than per meter? 

If you have a second home, in theory you are only in one at any one time so only using minimal power at the other. Unless of course some of the family are at one and the others at the other.

Until lockdown, Shrek and I lived at my flat in Greenwich during the week and his house most weekends. We didn't use more power than if we lived in just the one place, but not nearly twice as much (standing charge, heating on low in the coldest months, lights on for security as well as fridge/freezer etc) living at one place, as we do now (as I have rented out my flat). Quite rightly, now we will only qualify for 1 payment. I think if we had received 2, we would donate the second payment - although not sure who to as would want it to go to the most needy e.g. really can't heat and eat
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Means testing always introduces so many problems.

People that don't really need something get it while people that really do need it don't get it for some reason.!

Not to mention stigmas and divisions in society.

I think that underneath this is "reasonably"  progressive because the wealthy pay more taxes.

Rich people pay but everybody gets it. That works much better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

It does seem unfair, but how to restrict it per household simply other than per meter? 

If you have a second home, in theory you are only in one at any one time so only using minimal power at the other. Unless of course some of the family are at one and the others at the other.

Until lockdown, Shrek and I lived at my flat in Greenwich during the week and his house most weekends. We didn't use more power than if we lived in just the one place, but not nearly twice as much (standing charge, heating on low in the coldest months, lights on for security as well as fridge/freezer etc) living at one place, as we do now (as I have rented out my flat). Quite rightly, now we will only qualify for 1 payment. I think if we had received 2, we would donate the second payment - although not sure who to as would want it to go to the most needy e.g. really can't heat and eat
    Salvation Army, THE best charitable organisation i m o
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Salvation Army, THE best charitable organisation i m o
    Thanks for the suggestion. I really do want to donate to those who really are the most needy (not to those who are spending their income on non-essentials). 
  • Options
    The poorest households are each getting £650 as well, meaning a total of £1,050. 

It is costly to means test things, although I'm sure many would prefer to see £405 spent on admin to stop a wealthy person getting £400, one of the cornerstones of the welfare state is that it has to be there for everyone, which helps to prevent resentment amongst the groups that actually pay for it. 
  • Options
    The Council Tax rebate is very unfair as the value of a property bears no relation to the household income, and property values vary so much from the south to the north.

We live in a rented 2 bedroom bungalow in a nice area, but in a Band E, so we don't qualify for the Council Tax rebate. Someone in the north of England could have a much higher income and disposable income, than we do and may have a bigger house, but because of the difference in property prices, may live in a Band D property and qualify for the Council Tax rebate. 

The only saving grace for us is that we fixed our energy price for 2 years last June, so have not yet felt the impact of the recent price increases. We currently pay £159 per month for Gas& Electricity and dread the increase from June 2023.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    The Council Tax rebate is very unfair as the value of a property bears no relation to the household income, and property values vary so much from the south to the north.

We live in a rented 2 bedroom bungalow in a nice area, but in a Band E, so we don't qualify for the Council Tax rebate. Someone in the north of England could have a much higher income and disposable income, than we do and may have a bigger house, but because of the difference in property prices, may live in a Band D property and qualify for the Council Tax rebate. 

The only saving grace for us is that we fixed our energy price for 2 years last June, so have not yet felt the impact of the recent price increases. We currently pay £159 per month for Gas& Electricity and dread the increase from June 2023.
    How do you think the £150 Council Tax rebate should be assessed? Property value is at least a measure (however crude) of relative wealth and it is easier to target because all of the information is already available. Is it fair that a pensioner who sold a big detached house at band 'I', traded down and banked a fortune, and now lives in a band D still gets the £150 rebate?

Some would argue that you receiving the £400 credit to your fuel bill this winter is unfair - as it doesn't take into account the fact that you haven't seen any price increases. It's equally unfair that I am receiving the £400 also even though I have seen significant price increases.

Come up with a fair, workable and progressive system and I would support it. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

How do you think the £150 Council Tax rebate should be assessed? Property value is at least a measure (however crude) of relative wealth and it is easier to target because all of the information is already available. Is it fair that a pensioner who sold a big detached house at band 'I', traded down and banked a fortune, and now lives in a band D still gets the £150 rebate?

Some would argue that you receiving the £400 credit to your fuel bill this winter is unfair - as it doesn't take into account the fact that you haven't seen any price increases. It's equally unfair that I am receiving the £400 also even though I have seen significant price increases.

The tax system could have been used so that those on lower incomes pay less tax. 

Our fuel bill may not have gone up yet, but everything else has gone up, including our rent. My husband's pensions and my salary haven't kept pace with inflation, so we are still worse off than we were last year.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

The tax system could have been used so that those on lower incomes pay less tax. 

Our fuel bill may not have gone up yet, but everything else has gone up, including our rent. My husband's pensions and my salary haven't kept pace with inflation, so we are still worse off than we were last year.

I should think there are a few more people out there who are worse off than last year.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    bobmunro said:

I should think there are a few more people out there who are worse off than last year.
    I think you may be right on that.
  • Options

If it’s any consolation I live in a band E property in the North of England and it gets a good bit colder up here at times. The banding was done in 1991 and all though there was still the North South divide it wasn’t nearly as much then in terms of house prices as it is now.
  • Options

If it’s any consolation I live in a band E property in the North of England and it gets a good bit colder up here at times. The banding was done in 1991 and all though there was still the North South divide it wasn’t nearly as much then in terms of house prices as it is now.
    A local income tax would be a fairer way of funding Councils.  It is crazy that Council Tax bandings are still working on the equivalent value from 1991. 

When we get the £400 later in the year, I will leave it in the fuel account and continue to pay the same as we do now, so that there will be a credit balance when we do finish the fixed price period in June 2023.