Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    MrWalker said:
    Boiling a kettle now costs 87p per hour, up from 49p yesterday.
    That's OK, mine boils water much quicker than that.
    Think BBW is watching his, still that’s better than watching the spanners.
    6 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss in our last 9 games  :p
    Maybe, but it's still Millwall.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    I was at the Stoke game and they did not look good, and that was against a piss poor Stoke team. 

Strange game for me (in a box full of spanners!) - one where you want both teams to lose!!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I've got LED/Hue/smart lights throughout, also with a number of sensors.

I have a little button by the front door that also turns everything off for the last person out, or if they forget then I can do so from my phone/internet. With the cost of all the lights though it'll probably be a 15 year pay back  :D

I'm pleased to say that since getting a new boiler/heating system my cost has gone down over 2/3rd's - so after the latest price increase it should still half from what it was.
    Sounds like win.
    What did you junk and what did you replace it with? 
  • Options
    The government can half the vat on gas and electric now and still get the same amount of money with the rise in prices.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    MrWalker said:
    I was at the Stoke game and they did not look good, and that was against a piss poor Stoke team. 

Strange game for me (in a box full of spanners!) - one where you want both teams to lose!!
    Yeah, we were awful. I was also there. It was a day full of hopium.
  • Options
    The government can half the vat on gas and electric now and still get the same amount of money with the rise in prices.
    Not really. The extra money that people are now using to buy gas and electricity would have been spent on something else and they would have paid VAT. So the government needs to keep taking VAT on that money if it wants to restore the NHS.
  • Options
    Not really. The extra money that people are now using to buy gas and electricity would have been spent on something else and they would have paid VAT. So the government needs to keep taking VAT on that money if it wants to restore the NHS.
    Do you mean to it’s pre Covid Tory glory ?
  • Options
    Well done to everyone who made sure the shit in opposition in 2019 did not win.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    MrWalker said:

Yeah, we were awful. I was also there. It was a day full of hopium.
    I think you meant opium! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes should of voted ukip 
  • Options
    What’s going completely under the radar it seems to me is the fact that standing charges are going up across the country by an average of around 81%. Why ? The inability to supply gas and electricity cheaply is understandable but what’s changed in standing charges which pay for the cables and pipes etc that warrants such a massive increase and at a time when the uncontrollable aspects of energy are causing people to not heat their homes. What the fuck are Offgem or whatever the regulator is called these days doing ? Eff all is the answer. 
    Puzzled me too, it's something to do with all the energy companies going bust with the remaining picking up the pieces, supplier of last resort was one phrase used. However, once they have absorbed any extra costs, will the charge go down, will it feck !

• Options
    We have typically paid around £1200 pa for electricity via Bulb and £1500 for heating oil from whoever is the cheapest at the time.

Our last fill of oil, only one company was prepared to take the order from our syndicate and only then if we agreed to take it without a quote as normal. The delivery of 748 litres was about 3 weeks ago and we still don't know how much we will be charged.

I've heard from others that the cost, if correct is likely to increase our annual heating bill around £1500 to £2000pa if the cost was the same for the whole year. 

There is no price regulation for us 1.7m oil users.

There are plenty of people local to us on very low incomes, this type of increase in outgoings could be devastating. 

Three weeks ago I was quoted £1.26 a litre, earlier this week it had dropped to 96p
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I've got LED/Hue/smart lights throughout, also with a number of sensors.

I have a little button by the front door that also turns everything off for the last person out, or if they forget then I can do so from my phone/internet. With the cost of all the lights though it'll probably be a 15 year pay back  :D

I'm pleased to say that since getting a new boiler/heating system my cost has gone down over 2/3rd's - so after the latest price increase it should still half from what it was.
    Sounds like win.
    What did you junk and what did you replace it with? 
    Boiler wise I replaced a very old (maybe 40 years old) Potterton floor mounted the size of a washing machine for a Valliant Ecotec 37kw boiler. I also had the tanks removed from the loft and run a pressurised system with a 350l megaflo (so all hot and cold are mains pressure fed) all in one of the garages. The tanks insulation is incredible, it'll keep the water piping hot for over 24 hours.
  • Options
    Well done to everyone who voted for this shower of shit in 2019, hope you are happy with your choice!
    So Corbyn and Diane Abbott would have handled,Brexit,The Pandemic,Energy crisis,and the Russian war better.She couldnt even work out how much we paid police officer without cocking it up.
    All political parties in this country are as shit as each other. All bullshit what they promise to do and then shaft us all down the road in the long run. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Well done to everyone who voted for this shower of shit in 2019, hope you are happy with your choice!
    So Corbyn and Diane Abbott would have handled,Brexit,The Pandemic,Energy crisis,and the Russian war better.She couldnt even work out how much we paid police officer without cocking it up.
    All political parties in this country are as shit as each other. All bullshit what they promise to do and then shaft us all down the road in the long run. 
    Never been any different no matter what country you live in,thats why blaming voters for todays  problems on the elected government is crap.Just be thankful we live in a democratic country and have the power to change things.
  • Options
    What about that bloke Derek Hatton. Imagine if he was prime minister.
  • Options
    Add Angela Rayner to that list as well.
  • Options
    I think we can all acknowledge that in that scenario we would still be in lockdown and supplying Putin with arms to support his defence against those militant Ukrainians 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks like this thread has just about run it’s course…..

We invested in solar panels a few years back. A great investment as it turns out. Just wondering about buying a battery to store the surplus electricity we generate but they are still a bit pricey.
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:

We invested in solar panels a few years back. A great investment as it turns out. Just wondering about buying a battery to store the surplus electricity we generate but they are still a bit pricey.
    They are mate yes and if you are looking at using them just with Solar it doesnt stack up as you will never charge them enough but if u have a smart meter and you energy co has a smart tariff then they do.
    I charge mine overnight at 7.5p a kw and then use the batteries to run things during the other times when my tariff is 32p so I save 25p a kw used
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Chaz Hill said:

They are mate yes and if you are looking at using them just with Solar it doesnt stack up as you will never charge them enough but if u have a smart meter and you energy co has a smart tariff then they do.
    I charge mine overnight at 7.5p a kw and then use the batteries to run things during the other times when my tariff is 32p so I save 25p a kw used
    The smart meter has been invaluable in maximising usages of the energy generated from the solar panels and we are with Octopus who have an agile tariff. Which batteries did you opt for?
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    AndyG said:
    Chaz Hill said:

The smart meter has been invaluable in maximising usages of the energy generated from the solar panels and we are with Octopus who have an agile tariff. Which batteries did you opt for?
    I went for Givenergy batteries as the are set up for Octopus who I'm with as well mate. The agile tariff isnt available at the moment because of the wholesale prices but I'm on their Octopus Go tariff
  • Options
    As soon as energy prices settle down I want to change supplier,at presant with EDF.Not by choice it was because my previous supplier went bust.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Chaz Hill said:
    AndyG said:
    Chaz Hill said:

I went for Givenergy batteries as the are set up for Octopus who I'm with as well mate. The agile tariff isnt available at the moment because of the wholesale prices but I'm on their Octopus Go tariff
    How far away are solid state batteries? I'm not up on the tech but everything I hear is that as soon as these hit the market they will blow everything else out the water in terms of efficiencies, cost, practicalities, storage etc. 

Wouldn't want to invest a hell of a lot in a battery right now only for it to be obsolete in not very long 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Chaz Hill said:
    AndyG said:
    Chaz Hill said:

Thanks for the info re the Givenergy batteries. Not too badly priced compared to some. We’re on an Octopus fixed rate until August so planning ahead at this stage. Our feed in tariff from the panels pays us between £600-700 a year so can’t complain. 
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    AndyG said:
    Chaz Hill said:
    AndyG said:
    Chaz Hill said:

Thanks for the info re the Givenergy batteries. Not too badly priced compared to some. We’re on an Octopus fixed rate until August so planning ahead at this stage. Our feed in tariff from the panels pays us between £600-700 a year so can’t complain. 
    Well played Charlie 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Chaz Hill said:
    AndyG said:
    Chaz Hill said:
    AndyG said:
    Chaz Hill said:

Well played Charlie 
    All down to the wife. She’s the organised one.  :)
  • Options
    remember that a chunk of your bill is going to bail out the customers let down by these near criminals .. how did the government let them get away with it ?

Boss of failed energy firm Bulb defends £250,000 salary - BBC News