Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Just got an email through from EDF estimating my total usage (people often focus on their direct debits) will be around £1.4k more over the next year. And this is just the April price rises, imagine what it will be like later in the year (October is it?)

Turned the flow temperature of my boiler down from 75c to 60c (actually preferring the radiators like that), apparently makes a pretty big difference (6-8%), just means your heating will be on for longer (whilst using less energy) and take a bit more time to heat up, but more useful than telling you to just turn the thermostat down and wear 4 jumpers. 

There really is going to be a huge cost of living crisis, which will become so much deeper when the next tier of increases comes in. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Just got an email through from EDF estimating my total usage (people often focus on their direct debits) will be around £1.4k more over the next year. And this is just the April price rises, imagine what it will be like later in the year (October is it?)

Turned the flow temperature of my boiler down from 75c to 60c (actually preferring the radiators like that), apparently makes a pretty big difference (6-8%), just means your heating will be on for longer (whilst using less energy) and take a bit more time to heat up, but more useful than telling you to just turn the thermostat down and wear 4 jumpers. 

There really is going to be a huge cost of living crisis, which will become so much deeper when the next tier of increases comes in. 
    If you've turned the flow down just watch the hot water, if your stat is above 60 on the tank it'll be burning gas like there's no tomorrow. Most advise to have the flow at 65 to keep the hot water at the right temp.
  • Options
    Just had our DD amendment through, going from 45 a month to 88 a month, no word on the actual standing charge and rate amount though 
  • Options
    Don't forget to take a meter reading just before/after the prices go up on 1 April.

I'm sure the energy companies will have some sooper dooper algorithms in place developed by some sooper dooper techy nerds to work out how much energy we used before and after the price hikes so they can split their bills accordingly - but personally I wouldn't trust them with a barge pole!
  • Options
    Only problem is, these pesky meters are so tricky to read sometimes, particularly in the dark, that I think I may have inadvertently given them a higher reading than it actually is .......

Oh well, it will all catch up eventually. 
    ;-)
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Bump.
    If you're on a variable deal, take a meter reading this evening and enter it online.
    The price cap goes up 54% tomorrow and so will your bill.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Bump.
    If you're on a variable deal, take a meter reading this evening and enter it online.
    So what benefit is doing the reading today?

I can't get on the EDF website "essential maintenance work" allegedly!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Bump.

I was on it this morning, no mention of essential maintenance work, then.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Bump.

I was on it this morning, no mention of essential maintenance work, then.
    I just tried to get on the Shell Energy website - it's down. What a surprise.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Bump.

Because otherwise the energy company will estimate what it is. Could be up or down of course. 
    Take a dated picture of the readings anyway. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I tried to put my gas meter reading yesterday and their site was down. Managed it late last night.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Bump.

a meter reading today will mean that usage from the previous reading up to 31/3 will be charged at the 'old rate' .. it seems that if you don't let the company have a 31/3 reading, the usage from the previous reading, i.e. the last one before 31/3 up to the next reading whenever that may be, all that usage will be charged at the new rate .. advice is to take a photo of the readings as 'proof' and most suppliers will take readings taken on 31/3 for about the next five days .. 'about' is the operative word though

also, a tip .. boiling a kettle on gas works out cheaper than using an electric kettle .. so says the bloke from BBCs 'Money Box' radio prog .. I have just bought a gas stove kettle
  • Options
    Boiling an average electric kettle costs about 50p an hour. Better advice would be to only boil the water you need and no more. Not entirely sure what boiling a gas top kettle would cost per hour but I’m guessing it might take a while to recover your investment 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Boiling an average electric kettle costs about 50p an hour. Better advice would be to only boil the water you need and no more. Not entirely sure what boiling a gas top kettle would cost per hour but I’m guessing it might take a while to recover your investment 🤷🏻‍♂️
    100%, I don't drink tea however our kettle is never more than 1/3 full and boils in less than a minute with that amount of water in it when the wife wants a cuppa. Gas would take a lot longer and I would have thought be more expensive.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Only problem is, these pesky meters are so tricky to read sometimes, particularly in the dark, that I think I may have inadvertently given them a higher reading than it actually is .......

;-)
    My meter reading will also be taken in the dark tonight, hopefully I don't make the same mistake.  o:)
  • Options
    Off_it said:

;-)
    My meter reading will also be taken in the dark tonight, hopefully I don't make the same mistake.  o:)
    don't you have a torch, or a candle/box of matches ?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

;-)
    Naked flames are very dangerous in an understairs cupboard and i didn't want to run down the battery on my torch.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

;-)
    Naked flames are very dangerous in an understairs cupboard and i didn't want to run down the battery on my torch.
    I wonder if Braille smart meters are available ?
  • Options
    Quooker tap is the answer. Should save money on electric for a cup of tea but not sure I’ll still be alive when it pays for itself!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    sam3110 said:
    Just had our DD amendment through, going from 45 a month to 88 a month, no word on the actual standing charge and rate amount though 
    £45 to £88 what do you live in a Dolls House……. 
  • Options
    Eon Next website down and they have a notice saying they will take readings for today up until 9 April.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Quooker tap is the answer. Should save money on electric for a cup of tea but not sure I’ll still be alive when it pays for itself!
    I've got one of them. I'm in a hard water area and about every 9 months I have to have all the filters replaced, which is not a DIY job. It's a £350 callout charge plus parts - I ain't never getting my money back... unless I fit a water softener - another £1,500 down the drain (literally). 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I tried to get on the Octopus energy website to give a meter reading, it’s been down all day, sent them an email with my meter readings, and got a nice email back saying they had received my meter reassigns , when there I’m going to be charged new or old prices, we’ll have to wait and see, I asked for the old prices…
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    bobmunro said:
    I've got one of them. I'm in a hard water area and about every 9 months I have to have all the filters replaced, which is not a DIY job. It's a £350 callout charge plus parts - I ain't never getting my money back... unless I fit a water softener - another £1,500 down the drain (literally). 
    Fit an aquabion, we've got one. About £500 but fit and forget (for ten years).
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Bump.

I’ve had that all day - ended up emailing them the details. 
  • Options
    Just to make everyone's day, VAT on entertainment returns to 20% tomorrow, so the cost of your pint will go up by 7.5, oh joy !
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    bobmunro said:
    We are in a soft to moderate water area. We are having one fitted with a new kitchen going in over the next few weeks and I was advised that it should be fine.
  • Options
    Presumably the standing charges are increasing to help enable the remaining companies from going bust.