Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Crewe Alexandra v Charlton Athletic | Wednesday 12 January | Match Preview, Prediction, News & Views

edited January 2022 in General Charlton
Crewe Alexandra v Charlton Athletic
Wednesday 12 January 2022 | Kick-Off: 19:45
Live on Charlton TV (UK included) 
To purchase your live stream: https://charltonafcpayments.streamamg.com/account/register/step1

Referee: Robert Lewis (previously officiated a Charlton league game away at Gillingham last season where he gave them a penalty in what must be one of the worst decisions I can remember. The game ended all square, like this season, 1-1)

Introduction
The last preview I wrote was against Ipswich where we had beaten Gateshead in the Second Round of The FA Cup just days before. This time, I am writing one after a sterling performance in the Third Round against the Canaries. After Sunday, the Charlton faithful can surely be nothing but proud of the players; a neutral would have struggled to know who the Premier League outfit was such the way the Addicks performed. However, a disappointing defeat means our attention must quickly turn back to a league campaign that has had very little to shout about thus far. Next up is away at another CAFC that have had an even worse season, Crewe Alexandra.

Opposition
Manager: David Artell (38.3% win rate) | Stadium: The Mornflake Stadium (Gresty Road to everyone else)
League Position: 23rd | Nickname(s): The Railway Men, The Alex
League Form: LLWLWL

Crewe Alexandra travelled to Burton Albion in their last league fixture, losing 4-1. Their line up was:

Richards
Ramsay | Offord | Sass-Davies | Williams | Ainley
Lowery | Murphy | Finney
Porter | Mandron

The Railwaymen have really struggled this season after an extremely impressive first season back at this level since 2016. Only Doncaster, who are bottom, and two newly promoted sides in Cheltenham and Morecambe have conceded more so far whilst only Gillingham and again Doncaster have scored fewer. Crewe are second bottom for a reason. However, the side they have now in comparison to the successful one of promotion and last season is almost unrecognisable. Both full-backs have moved on to The Championship and they were vital in how Crewe played, whilst we signed Charlie Kirk. Although it hasn't worked out so far for the wide man down in SE7, his career at Charlton is still new and after personal events and a move to the capital, sometimes things can take a bit of time before a person returns to their best form in any walk of life. Let's hope for our sake, and for his, that it works out that way.

Like any team though, Crewe aren't without talent. Tom Lowery and Luke Murphy are two key players who really stick out in my eyes for players to watch out for. The two midfielders are technically very good which you would expect from Crewe who regularly produce good players. Tom Lowery started this season not playing after a contract impasse saw Artell and the Club take a stand. Lowery would return to the first team picture in late October and has since scored 3 goals from midfield including in the last outing against Burton Albion. Whereas Luke Murphy is one of the older players amongst the squad at Crewe. Coming through their academy, Murphy would play for them for 5 years before moving to Leeds for another 5 years, a spell on loan at Burton and a brief move to Bolton would follow before returning home to Crewe in 2020. Some may look at Mandron up front as someone to watch out for, the tall French striker scored 14 in all competitions last season and this could come back to bite me but I really don't rate him so I am comfortable we will have any of the threats nullified that he could cause us.

And lastly, I have always thought that David Artell remained me of someone and now I know who it is. The comedian, Daniel Renton Skinner. Can you spot the difference?

Crewe39s David Artell 39I did a helluva lot on crime-scene analysis39  Crewe  Alexandra  The Guardian
MDX actor famous for being Angelos Epithemiou on Shooting Stars appears in  ITV39s White House Farm  Middlesex University London

Charlton Team News
With every passing week the injury situation changes. If it's not the defenders on the treatment table, it's the strikers. As Ryan Inniss and Adam Matthews return to the squad in recent games after lengthy spells out, and Lavelle playing his 45 minutes in the 3-2 win for the U23s at Millwall today, Jayden Stockley and Conor Washington have a hip and hamstring problem respectively. The latter remains a doubt for Wednesday night but could be involved depending on how the injury settled down over the weekend.

Inniss was immense on Sunday against Norwich, really living up to the song I made up not long after he signed, "What's that coming over the hill, Inniss a monster, Inniss a monster" and will be looking to play his first league game since he picked up his injury in August against you know who, Crewe Alexandra. However, Akin Famewo missed out on the encounter on Sunday due to being ineligible to play against his parent club. The strong left footed defender will slot back in on Wednesday night meaning Jackson must leave out a defender who does not deserve to be left out.

Kirk will be looking to be included in the squad against his former side and will be keen to impress should he get on the pitch. Up top Burstow must surely continue after yet again another excellent display leading the line by the young man. The striker who was only playing for the U18s last season has a bright future in the game and an even brighter one if he can get a real ruthless streak about him.

Subs: Henderson, Matthews, Inniss, Watson, Kirk, Blackett-Taylor, Davison

Prediction
The performance on Sunday must be taken forward and give the players confidence that they can hit high levels and play a standard and brand of football against weaker opponents in League One. So, for only the second time all season, we score more than 2 goals in a game after going without scoring in 3 of our last 4 and without our two main strikers. Call me what you like, but it's happening!

Crewe Alexandra 1-3 Charlton Athletic
Leko
Lee
Purrington

Comments

• edited January 2022
    Nice preview @sage!

Worth noting that both Crewe and Charlton's form over the last 5 league games is the same. 2 wins and 3 losses.

We struggle against opposition below us and really can't afford to waste numerous chances. I think this might be a frustrating game unless somebody laces their boots properly.
  • Jac_52 said:
    Burstow hatty
    Mason needs to have more confidence in his own ability - throughout the first half against Norwich he was constantly looking for guidance from other players as to his positioning and as a result was often stationary rather than moving the rather slow Hanley all over the place. 
  • Good as the FA Cup performance was, i think we are shot in the league and expect a laboured, clueless and turged slog.  Either 1-1 or a strangled win.  If we lose to a struggling Crewe, then stop the season, time to get off the bus.
  • Would be nice to have a convincing and comfortable win for once. Crewe have conceded 8 in their last two games. We’ll definitely need to score at least 2 to beat them.
  • Great Preview mate... You tend to know more than me, so feels a risky move from me here - But going by Jackson's comments on Saturday I'd expect to see Washington back in the line up instead of Burstow.

Sounded like Washington felt his hamstring and they just decided not to risk him with tonight on the cards.
  • Great Preview mate... You tend to know more than me, so feels a risky move from me here - But going by Jackson's comments on Saturday I'd expect to see Washington back in the line up instead of Burstow.

Sounded like Washington felt his hamstring and they just decided not to risk him with tonight on the cards.
    You’re probably right (other than that the game is tomorrow!)

With a hamstring injury, you just don’t want to put any risks in especially someone who runs as much as Washington. Although, he looks after himself very well.

If he’s available, that’s great and 100% expect him to start. If there is any doubt whatsoever, he has to be rested with the view of playing Saturday.
  • I expect we should be able to win this, maybe 2-0.

Clean sheet would be good.  Still think we’ll struggle for goals though 

• Superb preview. 

Very surprised the wheels have fallen off the Jackson bandwagon.  I had us down to make the play offs when he took over.

The problem is there are only 14 players in the squad he trusts and five of those are usually injured. 

Gilbey is knackered.  Lee will be after his excellent performance on Sunday. 

If we have a surplus of defenders I would stick Clare in midfield instead of Gilbey but he wont  score either.

Burstow looks great but I agree he needs to be arrogant and believe in himself.  He has no reputation to protect. Just have some fun. 

Best hope is big Ryan to score from a set piece.

O.1 Innis 
  • edited January 2022
    OK save this comment, but "we are going to score 3 goals" ha ha ha. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We have a decent, competitive first 11 when they are all fit.
    We are also capable of playing some good football.
    The fly in the ointment is our incompetence in the final third.
    It's not just the strikers. We get in good positions but pick the wrong option; or hang on to the ball too long; or the pass is inaccurate or poorly weighted; or the cross is piss poor or doesn't arrive; or the shot is woefully lacking in technique or direction.
    We lack the belief and guile to make it count when we are on top.
    We need a game-changer or two. Somebody with the self-belief and personality to make things happen.
    I expect us to outplay Crewe tomorrow, but if they pack the defence and sit back we may still struggle to score
  • edited January 2022
    Thanks for a great preview. 
    I think Washington will be back, and I hope I’m right because we can’t score. 
    Somehow tomorrow, we will scrape a 1-0 win. 

P.S. copyright alert !
    terrace chant credit has to go to Spurs I’m afraid. 
    “What’s that coming over the hill
    is it Chimbonda, is it Chimbonda”(remember him). 
  • Thanks for a great preview. 
    Somehow tonight, we will scrape a 1-0 win. 

P.S. copyright alert !
    It's tomorrow mate. 
  • We gave referee Lewis a mark of 3.08 last season, which was the 3rd lowest mark of the season.
  • I am confident we can win this one, but we'll have to do it early, as the team will all be fairly tired after Sunday's exertions.  Burstow cannot last much more than an hour so far and if we have any injury doubts (Pearce, Purrington, DJ?) that may hurt us as we are back to just three subs. Hopefully we will be comfortably ahead and can coast the last 30 minutes...
  • The injury devil has struck down our top strikers and the back ups are just not good enough.
    Crewe have a major job on their hands to get out of the relegation zone and a lot will depend if they have given up or are still up for the fight.
    Given our lack of goal scoring potential, but also given our decent defence and midfield, I'll settle for a bore draw

Crewe Alexandra 0 v CAFC 0
  • I really wanted to go to this one , i was going to say i can't , because i'm washing my hair, but i'm having a carpet fitted .... honestly!
  • Safe trip to those braving it.
  • edited January 2022
    For Mason Burstow to progress he needs to play alongside Stockley or Washington in a two. With both Conor and Jayden injured he will struggle with Leko behind or alongside him as Leko must be a nightmare to try to get a partnership going with. 

Disappointed with comments from Cafc fans/critics who can't see that a young striker needs a good partnership to progress in the men's game. Mason Burstow is a good prospect who needs time in the Gym to help his conditioning and strength.

We are two strikers light at the moment.
    Injuries to important players continue season after season and until we can change that situation how can we end up higher than mid table if main 2 goal scorers are out for any length of time ?

Need to win to push towards mid table. 2-1 win to give a boost to getting clear of Crewe, Donny, Gills etc.

• Sponsored links:

• Stockley won't play so I would start Davison alongside Washington (if fit) or Burstow and introduce the pace of Leko once Burstow is knackered after 45-60.
  • OK save this comment, but we are going to score 3 goals ha ha ha. 
    I'm looking forward to Golfie's response to this, assuming he hasn't exploded with rage first ...
  • Love the preview as always but I genuinely think there’s no chance of us scoring 3.  If we’re to win it’s gonna come from an early scrappy goal or a worldie from range.  Then we see it out professionally.  
    I think we should have enough against them so I’ll go with that, 0-1 Leko.  

The game aside I can’t help but wonder if we’d benefit from a Liverpool style 433 without Stockley, we’ve got attacking enough wingers, and I think Lee would be good in the Jota;

MacG
    Gunter, Innis, Famewo, Purrington 
    Clare, Dobson, Gilbey 
    DJ, Lee, Leko
  • Very much view this a game we must win. If for no other reason than just to kick on and gather a bit of form. No disrespect to Crewe but there 23rd for a reason. After the weekends performance, we are clearly better than what we have shown at times. 

Would certainly start Burstow over Davison as he just seems to be playing well. Him and Wash up top could cause do some damage. 

Innis starting again would be good but imagine Famewo will come back in.

2-0 Charlton - Gilbey & Lee.

• I was impressed at the weekend, if we can build on from that confident we can win this one 0-1/0-2. 
  • Thanks for a great preview. 
    Somehow tomorrow, we will scrape a 1-0 win. 

P.S. copyright alert !
    @AFKABartram I am sure will remember as it went onto Charlton Life Twitter. I wrote it a couple of years ago and never heard of Spurs singing that version.

I also like Inniss’ version far better. 
  • I can see us keeping a clean sheet, but without both Stockley and Washington we are going to struggle to score, so it will be tight. I think we have enough about us to just nick it. Ben Purrington is due another goal!
  • You only have to look at recent games to see where our issue is. It is in mainly one area which is a positive in terms of it being fixable, but if you are too easy to stop you will lose a lot of games 1-0.
  • I really wanted to go to this one , i was going to say i can't , because i'm washing my hair, but i'm having a carpet fitted .... honestly!
    Poor excuse, give the carpet fitter the keys and tell him to lock up and put them through the letter box when he’s done 😉
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!