Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Crewe Alexandra v Charlton Athletic | Wednesday 12 January | Match Preview, Prediction, News & Views

13»

Comments

• AndyG said:
    It slightly worries me that Jacko has only one formation we can play with, and only certain players he trusts, especially as it's not as if recent results have been that great anyway -
    - first 5 games, 4 wins and a draw
    - last 5 games, 2 wins and 3 defeats

Morgan for example seems to have been written off by Jacko and many fans here, but at some point should surely be given some game time instead of flogging Gilbey and Lee to death. Watson looked pretty sharp against MKD in the Pizza Cup game and could also do a job. Not both, but one of them instead of either Gilbey or Lee for example.

Indeed if we lose the next 2 games, there's a strong case for playing our 1st eleven in the Pizza Cup, rather than the backup players.

Morgan Watson did do ok when he came on and did what was needed but age is against him and he cant play at any kind of tempo required for a pressing game. You say Morgan seems to have been written off and I think you are right, imo he must be a really frustrating player as I would think he looks a class act in training spraying balls around, the trouble is in a match he needs too much time on the ball and just cant replicate it, if we have to rely on either of them for anything other than a sub appearance late in a game we are bang in trouble
    The problem with such a pressing game, is that it's very tiring. I remember Liverpool physically fading a few months after Klopp took over, as they couldn't sustain it for a whole season.

Lee especially isn't a pressing midfielder, he's an attacking player more used to playing as a No 10 or even centre forward.

We have games this week Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday. I think Jacko has to rotate his midfield a bit to cope with that.
  • AndyG said:
    It slightly worries me that Jacko has only one formation we can play with, and only certain players he trusts, especially as it's not as if recent results have been that great anyway -
    - first 5 games, 4 wins and a draw
    - last 5 games, 2 wins and 3 defeats

Morgan for example seems to have been written off by Jacko and many fans here, but at some point should surely be given some game time instead of flogging Gilbey and Lee to death. Watson looked pretty sharp against MKD in the Pizza Cup game and could also do a job. Not both, but one of them instead of either Gilbey or Lee for example.

Indeed if we lose the next 2 games, there's a strong case for playing our 1st eleven in the Pizza Cup, rather than the backup players.

Morgan Watson did do ok when he came on and did what was needed but age is against him and he cant play at any kind of tempo required for a pressing game. You say Morgan seems to have been written off and I think you are right, imo he must be a really frustrating player as I would think he looks a class act in training spraying balls around, the trouble is in a match he needs too much time on the ball and just cant replicate it, if we have to rely on either of them for anything other than a sub appearance late in a game we are bang in trouble

We have games this week Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday. I think Jacko has to rotate his midfield a bit to cope with that.
    Judging by Jacko's comments this week,  he's considering doing just that.

• edited January 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Lose this and our season really is looking like mid-table mediocrity. 
    We could win our next 5 and the season is still mid-table mediocrity. Expectation was to be promoted this season, there’s no pride in finishing 7th or 8th. 
    Not really. After 5 straight wins we'll be in a much better position. It won't happen though so moot point. 

Finishing 7th or 8th from where we are now would represent a decent if imperfect reign from Jackson. 

Finishing say 9th to 15th is mediocre

Finishing  anywhere beneath that is absolutely farcical. 
  • We need 9 points from our next 3 league games against bottom half teams Crewe, Cheltenham & Fleetwood to resurrect any hopes of the playoffs.
    We need a carriage made from a pumpkin pulled by mice that turns into a golden coach with four white horses to resurrect any hopes of the playoffs.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Fixed for you.

• Need a volunteer tonight to put up the Match Thread by 6.30.

And update with the team lineup when announced at 6.45.

Sorry folks, I've got a commitment and won't be able to do it in time.

• edited January 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    We could win our next 5 and the season is still mid-table mediocrity. Expectation was to be promoted this season, there’s no pride in finishing 7th or 8th. 
    Not really. After 5 straight wins we'll be in a much better position. It won't happen though so moot point. 

Finishing 7th or 8th from where we are now would represent a decent if imperfect reign from Jackson. 

After Jackson’s incredible run we barely made up any points on the play-off pack. This season is done and dusted, Jackson will be here next season and it won’t be too long before all attention turns to then (if it hasn’t already). 

I do know what you mean, there is a difference between finishing 7th and finishing 15th, but it’s trivial. My point is mid-table mediocrity is already firmly set in stone. 

When Chris Powell took over he guided us to 13th in League One, we all know what happened the season after. At this point, this is a practice for next year.

• Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

After Jackson’s incredible run we barely made up any points on the play-off pack. This season is done and dusted, Jackson will be here next season and it won’t be too long before all attention turns to then (if it hasn’t already). 

I do know what you mean, there is a difference between finishing 7th and finishing 15th, but it’s trivial. My point is mid-table mediocrity is already firmly set in stone. 

When Chris Powell took over he guided us to 13th in League One, we all know what happened the season after. At this point, this is a practice for next year.

Which is why I want us to be going balls-to-the-wall for some signings so we can end the season collectively and start next season with a bang
  • Oggy Red said:

Need a volunteer tonight to put up the Match Thread by 6.30.

OK Oggy I'll do it
  • Swisdom said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Which is why I want us to be going balls-to-the-wall for some signings so we can end the season collectively and start next season with a bang
    Agreed - sort of. January’s always an inflated market so I’d hope most of our business is done before pre-season. 

This month should be about trimming the fat (Watson, Gunter, Davison, Morgan, etc) and adding some real quality in key areas. That way, we don’t need many signings in the summer and the squad will be settled for the first time in about 100 years. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

Need a volunteer tonight to put up the Match Thread by 6.30.

OK Oggy I'll do it
    Thanks, Lancs. Nice one.

COYR!

• Think tonight is quite important after a few defeats. Feels like it's been a while since we won
  • As I see it our chances of reaching the playoffs is zero. 
    But it's very important to finish this season strong otherwise Tommy might not renew JJ as  manager 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!