Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crewe Alexandra v Charlton Athletic | Wednesday 12 January | Match Preview, Prediction, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    I really wanted to go to this one , i was going to say i can't , because i'm washing my hair, but i'm having a carpet fitted .... honestly!
    Poor excuse, give the carpet fitter the keys and tell him to lock up and put them through the letter box when he’s done 😉
    He needs to be there, the "carpet" is actually a merkin
    That must be Scottish, now if you’d said syrup, I
    wouldn’t have had to Google ask the wife 😉.
  • Options
    Safe trip to all those travelling up.
    Make yourselves heard as you always do.
    COYR 
  • Options
    The cafc derby and we must not lose, I'll make a little wishy Washy nicks a goal 0-1.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    @altrinchamaddick I guess you’re familiar with Crewe’s ground but if not the Away ticket booth is behind the Whitby Morrison Ice Cream Van Stand…….. seriously! where we will be located. You’ll find this facing you as you approach the ground walking up Gresty Road from the station and next to the ‘corner bar’.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Thanks for a great preview. 
    I think Washington will be back, and I hope I’m right because we can’t score. 
    Somehow tomorrow, we will scrape a 1-0 win. 

P.S. copyright alert !
    terrace chant credit has to go to Spurs I’m afraid. 
    “What’s that coming over the hill
    is it Chimbonda, is it Chimbonda”(remember him). 
    @AFKABartram I am sure will remember as it went onto Charlton Life Twitter. I wrote it a couple of years ago and never heard of Spurs singing that version.

I also like Inniss’ version far better. 
    The original was Michael Chopra at Cardiff.

But the Innis one is great, let's get it going.
  • Options
    Going up more in hope than expectation of Stockley and Washington are still out. Would have thought we'd be too good for Crewe even without them, but just don't know who scores.
  • Options

Superb preview. 

Very surprised the wheels have fallen off the Jackson bandwagon.  I had us down to make the play offs when he took over.

The problem is there are only 14 players in the squad he trusts and five of those are usually injured. 

Gilbey is knackered.  Lee will be after his excellent performance on Sunday. 

If we have a surplus of defenders I would stick Clare in midfield instead of Gilbey but he wont  score either.

Burstow looks great but I agree he needs to be arrogant and believe in himself.  He has no reputation to protect. Just have some fun. 

Best hope is big Ryan to score from a set piece.

O.1 Innis 
    Clare has found his niche.  I don’t think he is good enough to play in midfield, although I agree that resting Gilbey or Lee would be a useful luxury 
  • Options
    This one has gripped the imagination, third tier thriller at its finest I’m sure 
  • Options
    meh - we'll nick a win to continue our path to safety

it's all about the pizza cup now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2022
    They have the same form we have: 3 losses and 2 wins from the last 5 league games.  Could go either way.
  • Options
    They have the same form we have: 3 losses and 2 wins from the last 5 league games.  Could go either way.
    I mentioned this earlier in this thread - an overlooked stat. We are Charlton so it's going to 'click' I suppose :) 
  • Options
    Loving the optimism but I can’t see past a score draw
  • Options
    Normally positive but I have a worry about this one, 2-1 defeat 
  • Options
    same as most others from me - just can't see us winning without the front 2 back 
  • Options
    All I know is that CAFC will take at least a point. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    All I know is that CAFC will take at least a point. 
    Minimum of 2 maximum of 3
  • Options
    This is a game we should win but the problem is that we don't have any goals in us at the moment and you can't win matches if you don't score. The Norwich game was a fine example, plenty of possession but apart from a couple of long range efforts we hardly troubled the keeper. Nonetheless I will go for 1-0 win for us 
  • Options
    If Washington plays, 2-0 Charlton. If he doesn't, 0-0.
  • Options
    Think we might sneak this one, Crewe looked very poor earlier this season. 1-0 Charlton, probably a set piece goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-1 or 1-2 to CAFC  :D
  • Options
    FYI…

If I could, I’d change my squad graphic and have Washington up top with Leko, Burstow on the bench instead of Davison.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    FYI…

If I could, I’d change my squad graphic and have Washington up top with Leko, Burstow on the bench instead of Davison.
    Oh you tease ;)
  • Options
    We need 9 points from our next 3 league games against bottom half teams Crewe, Cheltenham & Fleetwood to resurrect any hopes of the playoffs.
  • Options
    It slightly worries me that Jacko has only one formation we can play with, and only certain players he trusts, especially as it's not as if recent results have been that great anyway -
    - first 5 games, 4 wins and a draw
    - last 5 games, 2 wins and 3 defeats

Morgan for example seems to have been written off by Jacko and many fans here, but at some point should surely be given some game time instead of flogging Gilbey and Lee to death. Watson looked pretty sharp against MKD in the Pizza Cup game and could also do a job. Not both, but one of them instead of either Gilbey or Lee for example.

Indeed if we lose the next 2 games, there's a strong case for playing our 1st eleven in the Pizza Cup, rather than the backup players.

• Options
    It slightly worries me that Jacko has only one formation we can play with, and only certain players he trusts, especially as it's not as if recent results have been that great anyway -

Morgan for example seems to have been written off by Jacko and many fans here, but at some point should surely be given some game time instead of flogging Gilbey and Lee to death. Watson looked pretty sharp against MKD in the Pizza Cup game and could also do a job. Not both, but one of them instead of either Gilbey or Lee for example.

Indeed if we lose the next 2 games, there's a strong case for playing our 1st eleven in the Pizza Cup, rather than the backup players.

Morgan did do ok when he came on and did what was needed but age is against him and he cant play at any kind of tempo required for a pressing game. You say Morgan seems to have been written off and I think you are right, imo he must be a really frustrating player as I would think he looks a class act in training spraying balls around, the trouble is in a match he needs too much time on the ball and just cant replicate it, if we have to rely on either of them for anything other than a sub appearance late in a game we are bang in trouble
  • Options
    Lose this and our season really is looking like mid-table mediocrity. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:

Morgan did do ok when he came on and did what was needed but age is against him and he cant play at any kind of tempo required for a pressing game. You say Morgan seems to have been written off and I think you are right, imo he must be a really frustrating player as I would think he looks a class act in training spraying balls around, the trouble is in a match he needs too much time on the ball and just cant replicate it, if we have to rely on either of them for anything other than a sub appearance late in a game we are bang in trouble
    Meant Watson looked ok sorry
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Lose this and our season really is looking like mid-table mediocrity. 

We could win our next 5 and the season is still mid-table mediocrity. Expectation was to be promoted this season, there’s no pride in finishing 7th or 8th. 
  • Options
    1-0 win. Got to win tonight or on Saturday. Away form has been poor recently and we need to win to take the pressure off our home form

Defensively we look excellent it’s just creating and taking chances.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!