Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager??

Comments

• Options
    The high press is an interesting quote... Is that from recent discussions from Jackson?

After all, it was one of the bigger issues under Adkins that we didnt press the opposition high enough up the pitch
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Not had an acknowledgment to my application yet. Still. Christmas should be good this year. 

PS. What’s “high press” asking for a friend
  • Options
    Chris Coleman is available😁😁
  • Options
    Belv said:
    I cringe a little bit whenever Sandgaard talks about football.

It's like he's just learnt the term "high press" himself. I can't believe there is a manager alive at any level who doesn't know what a high press means.
    Christ I have just read the full article. 
  • Options
    Belv said:
    I cringe a little bit whenever Sandgaard talks about football.

It's like he's just learnt the term "high press" himself. I can't believe there is a manager alive at any level who doesn't know what a high press means.
    Not every manager would want to play it though, otherwise it would be the norm. It isn’t. To be honest I don’t think league one players are in the main good enough to play it. Age, fitness and ability all are important to that style. At present this Charlton team isn’t either fit enough or disciplined enough in my opinion. We do though have the ability to play a modern passing game and not lump it forward. 
  • Options
    Sandgaurd has played this well imo.

It will make JJ feel like he has more to prove and he will chase it 

Nothing gets given for free
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We didn't play high press under Adkins, was a complete mess of one player pressing by themselves, and not co ordinated. 
  • Options
    Would love to get a view of that list of applications.
    If you discount my application and ShootersHillGuru that’s 98 applicants 
  • Options
    Sounds like it's Jackos to lose. But like Shooters I'd be very very curious to see the type of managers that have applied. Would imagine there will be a few names on that list that are off the usual merry-go-round. 
  • Options
    Would love to get a view of that list of applications.
    I'm hearing... Jan Jackson... Juan Jackson... Johannes Jackson have all applied...
  • Options
    I really wish TS would stick to funding us and let football people talk about football matters. And 100 applicants......really!
  • Options
    Think TS is doing the perfect thing by waiting until Christmas, its Jacko's to lose
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    MarcusH26 said:
    Sounds like it's Jackos to lose. But like Shooters I'd be very very curious to see the type of managers that have applied. Would imagine there will be a few names on that list that are off the usual merry-go-round. 
    Agreed. I’d imagine the bulk would be current assistants and maybe a few player names coming onto retirement. No doubt a few out of work journeymen. I would be fascinated to know if Jorge Costa, Claus Jensen and Jonatan Johannsson are in the mix. Wilder too. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Agreed. I’d imagine the bulk would be current assistants and maybe a few player names coming onto retirement. No doubt a few out of work journeymen. I would be fascinated to know if Jorge Costa, Claus Jensen and Jonatan Johannsson are in the mix. Wilder too. 

I'd assume the likes of Monk,Hughton etc will be on there along with some that are currently at U23 level like an Andy Reid. 

The likes of Costa, Johansson and Jensen I wouldn't be surprised if they'd thrown their names into the ring despite their varying levels of experience.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whilst I think the idea of having a period of reflection rather than rushing into a decision is good, I am not sure why he would start talking about tactics to be used ! 
  • Options
    The more interesting part of that interview in the Sun.

Sandgaard revealed he has been inundated with applications and explained exactly the sort of person he is looking for.

He said: “It’s over 100 applicants now. We’ve had some good ones and hopefuls that wish the spotlight to fall upon them.

“We’ve had high-quality managers in touch who have been successful at different levels.

“The person who gets the job must be someone who knows how to play modern-day football and what a high press means.

“You can play a high press but if you don’t do it in a co-ordinated manner, you’re going to get into trouble.

“It has to be someone who understands League One and the level above.

“A manager must understand what may seem really good in games, like mixing it up, isn’t necessarily a good thing because we should be consistent in what we’re trying to do.

“It has to be someone who is a good people’s man too. We have a lot of players who need development so it must be someone who is good at managing that side of things too.”

Like someone on the pitch before a match strumming an air guitar 🎸 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    We didn't play high press under Adkins, was a complete mess of one player pressing by themselves, and not co ordinated. 
    You might call it a high mess!
  • Options
    could anyone actually name 100 out of work managers??
  • Options
    Kips said:

Sandgaard revealed he has been inundated with applications and explained exactly the sort of person he is looking for.

He said: “It’s over 100 applicants now. We’ve had some good ones and hopefuls that wish the spotlight to fall upon them.

“We’ve had high-quality managers in touch who have been successful at different levels.

“The person who gets the job must be someone who knows how to play modern-day football and what a high press means.

“You can play a high press but if you don’t do it in a co-ordinated manner, you’re going to get into trouble.

“A manager must understand what may seem really good in games, like mixing it up, isn’t necessarily a good thing because we should be consistent in what we’re trying to do.

“It has to be someone who is a good people’s man too. We have a lot of players who need development so it must be someone who is good at managing that side of things too.”

Like someone on the pitch before a match strumming an air guitar 🎸 
    Has Gareth Ainsworth applied then?

• Options
    edited November 2021

The person who gets the job must be someone who knows how to play modern-day football and what a high press means.

Hmmm hasn't this been half the problem though?

Under Adkins the players looked lost when it went long, according to Adkins at their own will, which I guess would explain why no fucker was ever close to Stockley/ knock-downs etc.

The bottom half of league one ain't really the time or place for basing your gameplan on peak Barcelona. Getting the ball up to the big man quickly either centrally or wide is, frankly, a necessity in this league, doesn't have to be your sole game plan, but you need it and mixing it up in games is 100% a good thing, otherwise you become predictable and easy to work out...
  • Options
    edited November 2021

The person who gets the job must be someone who knows how to play modern-day football and what a high press means.

Hmmm hasn't this been half the problem though?

Under Adkins the players looked lost when it went long, according to Adkins at their own will, which I guess would explain why no fucker was ever close to Stockley/ knock-downs etc.

The bottom half of league one ain't really the time or place for basing your gameplan on peak Barcelona. Getting the ball up to the big man quickly either centrally or wide is, frankly, a necessity in this league, doesn't have to be your sole game plan, but you need it and mixing it up in games is 100% a good thing, otherwise you become predictable and easy to work out...
    Yes, but not to the extent that Adkins seems to have gone to where by most accounts the players didn't even know what they were meant to be doing.

Contrast that to JJ's new shape where the defence changes shape if we're attacking or defending but every player knows their responsibility.

Flexibility is needed... In the right circumstances. Changes for change's sake is not. 
  • Options
    No, stupid statement from TS, sometimes its better to say nothing at all.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    No, stupid statement from TS, sometimes its better to say nothing at all.
    Not really... Probably got a good number of coaches who are trying to get into Management themselves.

After all he said "100 applicants", not 100 out of work Managers

Take Eddie Newton who was a coach @ Chelsea for example

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/12040129/eddie-newton-lack-of-opportunity-forced-me-abroad

Wouldnt surprise me if there are various amounts of coaches / ex-Managers who are applying for anything any everything that comes up in the hope that they'll finally be taken seriously and given the opportunity.