Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager??

Comments

• Options
    If we drop off over the next 8 games then there’s a serious problem with the players not the manager. We’ve best Sunderland away and should of beat the best team in the division in Rotherham. If we start dropping points to Shrewsbury then there’s a deeper problem. Who would solve that? I think a contract now for JJ gives the whole place a boost on top of a buzz. 
    I get your point but injuries and suspensions could also affect results.

Next week we're playing the league leaders without Stockley, Inniss, Lavelle and Famewo as well as possibly Matthews and Leko. That's at least 4-5 of the first XI and possibly 6 if we were playing 3 centre backs.
  • Options
    Let him caretake until the New Year and then consider contracts. And not a day earlier. It is always the stuff of football management that the caretaker, buoyed by momentum and little pressure,  is then given a 36 month contract and momentum goes and pressure mounts. 

• Options
    We now play table-topping Plymouth twice in a month. Interesting times. 
    Very, 6-0 last time…
  • Options
    The defence has definitely tightened up under Jackson, all promising stuff so far. 

• Options
    The defence has definitely tightened up under Jackson, all promising stuff so far. 

Good piece, enjoyed reading
  • Options

Excellent 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    If we drop off over the next 8 games then there’s a serious problem with the players not the manager. We’ve best Sunderland away and should of beat the best team in the division in Rotherham. If we start dropping points to Shrewsbury then there’s a deeper problem. Who would solve that? I think a contract now for JJ gives the whole place a boost on top of a buzz. 
    The best team in the division is Plymouth. Let's hope we can do well against them.
  • Options
    https://www.football365.com/news/league-one-two-winners-losers-twine-plymouth

Jackson gets a (very positive) mention here, so it looks like the job he's doing is at least getting a bit of attention in some quarters. The writer definitely sits in the "Give it to JJ" camp. 
  • Options
    I would hope that Thomas has spoken to JJ re his performance and made it clear he'll get the job if things keep improving.

JJ really gets the culture of the club and if he can stabilise our season surely deserves to be appointed. We need some stability and a forward thinking manager.
  • Options
    We all knows it's a results business but it's also having a plan and a template for success with clear concise messages that motivate and galvanize your squad to perform. Unfortunately Nigel Adkins was out of kilter with the players this season, and despite the "committee" selecting who to target in the window, Nads couldn't find a formation to perform and we were abysmal as a team with the first half against Cheltenham at the valley as my own personal nadir because the opposition were mediocre but we made them look like Barcelona in their pomp. Craig MacGillivray stopped the score being embarrassing.

When after one training session, the players are all on the same page with 3-5-2 before the game at Sunderland with Leko playing the RWB.  Won 1-0 as every player put his body on the line. The players understand JJ's straight talking.

"The worst Charlton team in History" suddenly look like decent League 1 players,  who may also save Gallen's and Roddy's reputation after the criticism of the last window. (Kirk will improve even if he does look lightweight ) Dobson and Clare are looking better and Lavelle can battle back after his injury lay off.

Even if we lose Saturday and this must be a possibility with Plymouth's amazing transition since we last played them, we will compete. 

Johnnie Jackson is the best option. It sounds so perjorative to call it the cheap option when it's patently clear that this is JJ time to lead the journey. A 39 year old that has been at Cafc as a winning Captain and Coach, and has the highest coaching qualification and with 445 career apps plus 15 England apps at the various age groups he is the man to lead us on this road trip.

There will be set backs on the way and we will need a Striker in the window if a financial deal can be sorted as Aneke is still missed as super sub. 

Judge Jackson on his performance on where we were when he took over, 22nd and imploding and now 17th and vibrant and the fans with season tickets were deserting in their droves now want to embrace the Charlton Experience.

I agree that Thomas Sandgaard being a showman and extrovert should give the Job to JJ before the Plymouth match to finally get the Cafc show on the road.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We all knows it's a results business but it's also having a plan and a template for success with clear concise messages that motivate and galvanize your squad to perform. Unfortunately Nigel Adkins was out of kilter with the players this season, and despite the "committee" selecting who to target in the window, Nads couldn't find a formation to perform and we were abysmal as a team with the first half against Cheltenham at the valley as my own personal nadir because the opposition were mediocre but we made them look like Barcelona in their pomp. Craig MacGillivray stopped the score being embarrassing.

When after one training session, the players are all on the same page with 3-5-2 before the game at Sunderland with Leko playing the RWB.  Won 1-0 as every player put his body on the line. The players understand JJ's straight talking.

"The worst Charlton team in History" suddenly look like decent League 1 players,  who may also save Gallen's and Roddy's reputation after the criticism of the last window. (Kirk will improve even if he does look lightweight ) Dobson and Clare are looking better and Lavelle can battle back after his injury lay off.

Even if we lose Saturday and this must be a possibility with Plymouth's amazing transition since we last played them, we will compete. 

Johnnie Jackson is the best option. It sounds so perjorative to call it the cheap option when it's patently clear that this is JJ time to lead the journey. A 39 year old that has been at Cafc as a winning Captain and Coach, and has the highest coaching qualification and with 445 career apps plus 15 England apps at the various age groups he is the man to lead us on this road trip.

There will be set backs on the way and we will need a Striker in the window if a financial deal can be sorted as Aneke is still missed as super sub. 

Judge Jackson on his performance on where we were when he took over, 22nd and imploding and now 17th and vibrant and the fans with season tickets were deserting in their droves now want to embrace the Charlton Experience.

I agree that Thomas Sandgaard being a showman and extrovert should give the Job to JJ before the Plymouth match to finally get the Cafc show on the road.

I think we saw it with Powell and Bowyer when he first took over, It being the huge respect the players have for the manager. That counts for a lot. 
  • Options
    Not unreasonable for TS to want to see evidence that JJ is capable of stepping up to the Manager role before a permanent appointment and ten games seems reasonable to this end.
    A few weeks ago a number of CL posters were happy to lose JJ along with Nigel; JJ being seen as part of the problem. So it was by no means certain that JJ was suitable for the job. 
    I would assume other potential candidates (whoever they may be!) would have previous management experience, so there is potentially a big risk (on paper at least) in taking JJ on in the permanent position.
    It's a very important appointment. If it doesn’t work out, I assume JJ would leave the club. I for one would prefer TS's cash to be spent on players, rather than compensation. Plus the last train to a top six place would definitely have left.
    JJ has exceeded the expectations of many and given the club and fans a big lift. It's looking very positive and long may it continue. But he has a few difficult matches coming up, with some key players missing due to injury or suspension. Replacements will need to hit the ground running, if the current momentum is to be maintained. The cup matches indicated a lack of strength in depth in the squad, with some players failing to step up and show JJ why they should be in the first team, possibly due to a lack of ability more than effort. It will be interesting to see how JJ deals with this.
    With the ten matches concluding by mid-December, hopefully JJ can be appointed. 
    If TS brings in someone else, there will be a few weeks for him / her to assess the team before the January window. 
    Whatever happens, it is important that the new permanent manager is happy with the comings and goings of the window, as they will be the one paying the ultimate price if changes to the squad don't work. 
    I wasn't convinced Nigel was entirely happy with the summer window and this probably contributed to his demise. History must not be repeated!
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Didn't Chris Powell win his first 3 and then lose 4 when in charge of a mediocre set of League 1 players ?
    Including last season's caretaker match JJ is 4 wins, 1 draw in 5.

Powell found his success with the mass cull and the rebuild  the following summer when the new players just gelled despite many on CL being underwelmed ! Chris, Alex Dyer and *Phil Chapple should all get the credit for that.

Lee Bowyer did well but in the end, the pressures built because of a myriad of injuries on field, the nonsence off the field, selling of players and Quality loans one season being replaced in the main with poorer replacements. He then publicly slagged off players and the tensions in the dressing room became factious and parts of the dressing room were lost. Ronnie Schwartz not fitting in and Marcus Maddison and his issues just exacerbated the problems and Lee hit the wall and started to tinker to find a solution.

JJ is different to both Chris and Lee.
    Not so friendly as Chris at times with the players,( The players do love Johnnie and respect him) and not so abrasive as Lee.
    A shame that Stockley took fight for the shirt to a new level ! Giving 100% is now mandatory as we all heard from JJ and this is just the beginning.

I'm Hearing how the academy players love the positive feedback from JJ and advice after Hamaz Serrar or Anthony Hayes have spoken.

*Believe he was chief scout when the team was rebuilt.
  • Options

To be fair, I think you are Doing Cheltenham a disservice, I think maybe I’m putting words in your mouth,Cheltenham as a club are mediocre, but they absolutely played us off the park, particularly 1st half, there was nothing mediocre about them. Admittedly we were shockingly bad also.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Cheltenham were excellent that 1st half and passed and moved and created chances but they are mediocre in League 1 in context of the 3rd tier.
    We weren't at the races that first half and as soon as we stepped it up 2nd half we scored with Leko coming on and then the time wasting began with the stop start 2nd period.
    Many times it is the abilities of the opposition but in this case we emulated stationary objects as we refused to break the social distancing rules in that first shocking 45 minutes.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    No chance of an appointment this weekend.

“The club is in a good position because we’ll be able to make the best decision, maybe in the next 30 days from now.”

Michael Beale has been spoken to though we’ve also aimed higher than that.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-thomas-sandgaard-gives-update-on-charlton-athletic-managerial-situation/

And a quote to set some of you into a panic.

“If there is a better candidate for the club in the near and medium term out there, we’ll simply just go back to the set-up like it was before. Johnnie is a great assistant manager, we already know that, and Jason Euell is a great coach.

But he does say it’s going well.

Asked what more Jackson needed to do to prove he was the right man to lead in the longer term, Sandgaard said: “He’s done everything you could possibly expect of him.

“It’s been more than just the initial boost you expect to get from a new manager.

“He was also instrumental in identifying some things that we could do better – an obvious one was when you look at how many miles the average player was running during a game, that needed to improve significantly.

“We wanted to play with a high press before and also play out from the back. We’re probably not that good at playing out from the back yet, but he definitely got us the high press. That, in itself, considering we’ve probably got the best squad and the most depth in the league, got us some wins.

“This is more of a business decision, rather than a fans’ popularity decision. It’s not even so much about what he needs to do. He needs to keep doing a good job and making sure he and I have a good relationship. Everything is working well in regards to that.

• Options
    Oh dear. Not loving that interview. 
    Already saying JJ will go back to assistant if a new man is appointed and showing off about the calibre of coaches we're talking to. 
    Reading that, I don't think TS is convinced JJ is the man to lead the club. 
    And TS really comes undone when he starts to talk football tactics: “We wanted to play with a high press before and also play out from the back. We’re probably not that good at playing out from the back yet, but he definitely got us the high press.”
    All sounds a bit like he doesn’t rate JJ. 
  • Options
    Concidering we've probably got the best squad and the most depth in the league. 
    Really. 
    I just wish he would keep quiet on the football side of things and leave it to JJ.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Dont see much wrong with that. The alternative is that things could yet turn sour for Jackson on the pitch.

How will we all feel if we were to find out that Sandgaard has been sitting on his arse doing nothing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We are winning because we are running more........

Some of that is baffling. 
  • Options
    I can’t see anything wrong with the interview. At least it explains the delay in the appointment…..regardless of whether we all agree with it or not. 

He got burned with the NA appointment and he is (quite rightly) taking his time and trying to find the best candidate that HE believes will take the club forward. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Best squad in the league??? 
  • Options
    Dont see much wrong with that. The alternative is that things could yet turn sour for Jackson on the pitch.

How will we all feel if we were to find out that Sandgaard has been sitting on his arse doing nothing?
    If that's all he had said it wouldn't be so bad.    The options should be give Jackson the job and let him pick his assistant OR give someone else the job and then decide what happens to Jackson and Euall.  Has this approach ever worked anywhere? 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I think TS has dropped a bollock with that interview. Not read the room at all. I’m not sure many fans want a super ambitious ex Prem appointment, they want a ‘local’ hero they can get behind. Considering the near faultless results achieved, I can’t understand the tone of that article at all. Why do we still need to look when the answer is right in front of you 
    This. Similarly I thought his tweet following the Burton game was damning with faint praise:

‘Hard fought win today 0-1 💥 Definitely not the prettiest game #cafc’

He has the idealistic thing where we should be scoring 5 goals a game and pinging it around the pitch. Maybe he thinks an ex Prem manager will achieve that. 
    I hope Gallen or someone gets in his ear and tells him he’s already got the best bloke to lead the club. 
  • Options
    I too don’t see anything wrong with it…

jackson has done brilliantly, but as some others have pointed out - so did Kevin Nugent - who went on to have a absolute stinker managerially with Barnet! 

Having options is always the best choice, both in the short term and in the long term if/when Jackson leaves/is fired! 

It’s good we’re being ambitious, and clearly 100 candidates is a real sign of how far we’ve come since RD! 

Giving jackson another month arguably motivates him more, to do well and get the job, but also proves that others are out there and wanting the job! 

• Options
    edited November 2021
    “If there is a better candidate for the club in the near and medium term out there, we’ll simply just go back to the set-up like it was before. Johnnie is a great assistant manager, we already know that, and Jason Euell is a great coach.”

will they? 
    Perhaps they won’t appreciate being dicked around?
    Thomas is talking like he’s in a no-lose situation: he could still snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
  • Options
    “If there is a better candidate for the club in the near and medium term out there, we’ll simply just go back to the set-up like it was before. Johnnie is a great assistant manager, we already know that, and Jason Euell is a great coach.”

will they? 
    Thomas is talking like he’s in a no-lose situation: he could still snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
    If he doesn’t get the job there’s I’m sure another club will give him that chance.
  • Options

will they? 
    The Football version of being in the friend zone for Jacko.