Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sam Lavelle - gone to Carlisle on a 2year deal (p22)

Comments

• Sam_777 said:
    Deji Elerewe come on down, son. 
    We simply can’t play a youth player who won’t sign a contract when we have other fit defenders. 

Sign a contract, become a regular in League One and get your big move in the summer. I have no idea why these kids are so desperate to fast-track before even proving themselves.
    Easy. MONEY.
    Of course. I just don’t understand being so married to the idea of not signing when you have…

Option A: Sign a contract, play professional football and secure a fee for the club that supported your development as a player and human being, becoming very rich once you move. 

Option B: sit on the bench and leave at the end of the season having barely played any first team football, becoming very rich once you move. 

With so many examples of us selling youngsters who go on to succeed, particularly in his position, you can’t help but question the lads character. 
    Wonder who is advising him, and who his agent is?
  • edited October 2021
    We really waving fingers at Deji already when the reality is we’ve no idea what’s going on behind the scenes, ffs he’s a kid who’s just turned 18.
  • Gutting. I think he’ll be excellent.
    We really have bizarre luck with injuries. Leaves us light at the back. DE straight on the bench for the inevitable dip in form from Pearcey. 
  • It is really amazing how this keeps happening ! Nobodies fault but it is unreal how often we get key injuries all the time
  • What's happening to Innis? 
  • Now we have a glut of wingers and midfielders, you can guarantee our next injury will be to another CB or to a striker
  • Sponsored links:

• This is why we need someone less injury prone than Innis. Great player and bloke but could really leave us short at the back...
  • edited October 2021
    "Barely missed a game for a few years"

Just ridiculous luck on our part - We could sign Superman and he'll still get injured with a dodgy knee or something no phone box nearby to change in.
    Oh hang on minute you’re right there’s hardly any these days 😁.
  • 2 left footed Centre backs here we go  :#
  • mendonca said:
    2 left footed Centre backs here we go  :#
    To be fair they did ok last Saturday as a three mind, with Matthews on the right 😉.
  • vffvff
    edited October 2021
    A contributing factor to another key injury is likely down to the botched last minute transfer window. If we get the players in early, the new and improved medical team can then better tailor their fitness and make them ready for the season. Sandgaard really needs better advisors / football people in the building.

I sincerely hope that whoever arranged the start of the season  is learning the lesson / being accountable for it. Also that Sandgaard is reconsidering the whole get the players in at the last minute approach for next season.  Charlton might have a proper go at promotion then.
  • Oh bollocks. That’s bad news. I am really warming to Sam and think he’s going to be a great player for us long term. Hope he gets fit ASAP. I know Pearcy played well Saturday but he isn’t the answer although needs must.
  • I thought Lavelle had a full pre season with Morecambe 🤷‍♂️
  • RedChaser said:
    mendonca said:
    To be fair they did ok last Saturday as a three mind, with Matthews on the right 😉.
    They did on Saturday but we know all 3 have in them to implode as and when they fancy!
  • RedChaser said:
    I thought Lavelle had a full pre season with Morecambe 🤷‍♂️
    Dont be silly. It's down to our transfer window.
  • Sponsored links:

• https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/injury-setback-for-charlton-as-ryan-inniss-and-ronnie-schwartz-both-sidelined-for-months/

Looking up what was said about Inniss (on the 16th September)

“Ryan Inniss is going to be out for a couple of months, at least, with a thigh injury,” said Adkins.

As this is (a) Charlton and (b) Inniss, he'll probably be out until Christmas
  • edited October 2021
    mendonca said:
    RedChaser said:
    mendonca said:
    They did on Saturday but we know all 3 have in them to implode as and when they fancy!
    That’s the spirit 😉. Hobson's choice we just have to get on with it I’m afraid.
  • RedChaser said:
    I thought Lavelle had a full pre season with Morecambe 🤷‍♂️
    He did and played in their first few games. 
  • https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/injury-setback-for-charlton-as-ryan-inniss-and-ronnie-schwartz-both-sidelined-for-months/

“Ryan Inniss is going to be out for a couple of months, at least, with a thigh injury,” said Adkins.

I'd bet on him not playing another 10 games this season

Pearce and Famewo won't be able to go Saturday-Tuesday to the end of the season and if we're not playing Deji until he signs a contract (which he won't - if he was going to he would've done already and it didn't sound positive on the CAST call with Roddy & Adkins) then that means we're back to playing players out of position at CB

Imo it was crazy to leave the window with Pearce as the only backup to Lavelle and Famewo when we knew Inniss wouldn't make it through the season without a serious injury
  • edited October 2021
    Difficult to play three at the back when you have two fit CBs. If one more gets injured, it's going to be a right mess. The squad needs rejigging in January if Jackson wants to stick with this formation. 
  • Redrobo said:
    Sam_777 said:
    Deji Elerewe come on down, son. 
    We simply can’t play a youth player who won’t sign a contract when we have other fit defenders

Sign a contract, become a regular in League One and get your big move in the summer. I have no idea why these kids are so desperate to fast-track before even proving themselves.
    We don't though.

Famewo and Pearce will start. Inniss and Lavelle are injured, Gunter is a liability. Who else is there?
    Mathews, Famewo, Pearce. Just like we did at Sunderland when Lavelle went off.
    Gunter played centre back for us and Wales and Dobson has also played there for Sunderland 

I'd bet on him not playing another 10 games this season

Pearce and Famewo won't be able to go Saturday-Tuesday to the end of the season and if we're not playing Deji until he signs a contract (which he won't - if he was going to he would've done already and it didn't sound positive on the CAST call with Roddy & Adkins) then that means we're back to playing players out of position at CB

Imo it was crazy to leave the window with Pearce as the only backup to Lavelle and Famewo when we knew Inniss wouldn't make it through the season without a serious injury
    It's not when crazy when there's a 22 player squad limit (excluding GKs and u21s). With Deji we had 5 senior CBs. If you want more then you have to leave yourself short elsewhere in the squad. We couldn't cover it with u21 loans as they sign expecting to play.

The answer for me is to release injury prone players like Inniss in the summer, sign players earlier so they have a full preseason (though not an issue with Lavelle who had a preseason with Morecambe) and do what we can to improve our medical/sports science setup.

Even doing that doesn't mean we won't get any longer term injuries. We usually have a few more by now so hopefully it's going to be better than in previous years.