Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How Do You Decide As A Neutral?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/sep/14/how-do-you-decide-which-football-team-to-support-as-a-neutral

Beyond the obvious what will benefit Charlton and hinder the spanners and the stripys, for me it's who are the underdogs, who plays in red, which team has supplied Charlton with the best players - or least duds.

Comments

• edited September 2021
    Stig said:
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/sep/14/how-do-you-decide-which-football-team-to-support-as-a-neutral

Beyond the obvious what will benefit Charlton and hinder the spanners and the stripys, for me it's who are the underdogs, who plays in red, which team has supplied Charlton with the best players - or least duds.
    I will generally support London teams over northern opponents (Millwall and Palace aside, obvs). 

Edit - “support” might be overdoing it, “prefer” is more like it
  • edited September 2021
    Whichever team whereby a win would create a more compelling, tight story for the ongoing season. That way it creates more games that are enjoyable as a neutral to watch.

• Dont really support any other teams when games are on, just want to see a good game.

Although it helps the team that are facing Palace / Millwall
    Or if one team has an ex-Charlton player involved, yet depends whether they were a c**t or not
  • Either support the underdog, or want the team whose manager will throw a funny wobbly to lose.
  • As a neutral I tend to favour the smaller side, the underdog, especially if they're likeable - play good football, nice players, nice manager etc

Thus the likes of Barnsley when they were in the PL, and indeed us, would get neutral support, whereas the old Wimbledon wouldn't
  • Any London team over anyone else with the exception of any team over Palace and Millwall is my general rule of thumb.

After that its supporters I have known over the years through school or work and whether I liked them or not, i.e. Newcastle and Leicester good blokes so want them to do well, Barnsley and Luton a couple of knobheads I knew so still snigger a little when they lose.     
  • edited September 2021
    Generally if I’m watching a game I’ll have a little bet to give me an angle into the game . I wouldn’t support a team just because they were from London - ok maybe West Ham ( family ties ) & Leyton Orient , the rest can do one . 

Anybody against Palace or Millwall ( but mainly Palace )  and I have an irrational dislike of Luton and Sheff Wed so anyone against them too. 

• Away teams that have travelled furthest and are underdogs in the fixture, (including palace and millwall and occasionally even west ham as I grow older)
  • Couldn't care less about how other teams get on (unless it affects our season), exceptions are:

West Ham
    Palace
    Arsenal
    Leeds
    Liverpool
    Celtic

Hate the above 6 with a passion.
  • edited September 2021
    I'll generally hope teams that my mates support do well (apart from an obvious couple).
  • Sponsored links:

• I'll generally favour the team with the most English players in the starting line up. I tend to find myself rooting for Burnley quite a lot...
  • Quite often I want the team to lose who's fans will get the most upset on twitter.

• edited September 2021
    Not that bothered unless is a result that has an impact on us.

That said, I always want Palace, Chelsea  Arsenal and Celtic to lose.
  • Prem games are all about me FF team so it's players rather than teams. I used to support the underdog but now like seeing madly mismanaged teams like Wednesday, Derby, Forest get beat. I realise that other's who look on it the same way would have looked at us as one of these teams for quite a few recent years 
  • Dont really support any other teams when games are on, just want to see a good game.

Although it helps the team that are facing Palace / Millwall
    Or if one team has an ex-Charlton player involved, yet depends whether they were a c**t or not
    Absolutely no need to use such a word - please can you say Lyle Taylor in the future. 
  • The team that has the prettiest players.
  • I’m quite surprised by the London bias some would have.

Especially considering a lot of the big clubs from London are made up of players and fans that are not from London whatsoever.

I enjoy seeing Arsenal and Chelsea lose more than I should, largely because of the level of entitlement their armchair fans have.
  • When I was a young'un, I would want any London club to win apart from Millwall. Over the years I've added Palace , Arsenal and West Ham to the lose list for various reasons.

Right now, I always want Chelsea and Spurs to win, am indifferent to QPR and Fulham, and hope the others all lose.

For some reason, I don't mind the Manc teams, Everton or Leicester, but I detest Liverpool and Newcastle.
  • edited September 2021
    palace to lose, millwall to lose, hibs to lose and both the old firm to lose.

other than that i tend to think that at least one of the twenty two starting the game is a c#nt (often for no real reason) and will pick a side that way
  • Sponsored links:

• I can't watch a televised match without inwardly supporting one of the teams.

As an example, kept an eye on the Forest v Cardiff game yesterday & supported the Blues due to both Lyle's & Dillon's participation. 
  • Whoever is winning the Premier League, obviously. 
    But only if I was still eight...
  • I find these days I'm just not a big football fan, Charlton absolutely all the others I just don't give a sh*t about, don't like to see the small guys struggling financially but the premier league has really put me off.
  • cafctom said:
    Whichever team whereby a win would create a more compelling, tight story for the ongoing season. That way it creates more games that are enjoyable as a neutral to watch.

This. Obvious exceptions of course. I wanted Everton to win last night as they have some decent players (some who actually play for England) and wanted the top of the table to be as crowded as possible.
  • I can't watch a televised match without inwardly supporting one of the teams.

As an example, kept an eye on the Forest v Cardiff game yesterday & supported the Blues due to both Lyle's & Dillon's participation. 
    I’m exactly the same. If I don’t have a ‘dog in the fight’ I can get bored watching football as a neutral. 
  • Question for you all, hypothetical game,  Millwall v Palace in the play off final to get to the premier league, who you supporting? 

Years back when it was palace v West Ham in the play off final, that was a bad day for me. Despise them both, couldn’t decide who I hated most. Plumped for palace in the end as at the time I hated west ham slightly more, and palace won, but it was bittersweet 
  • Question for you all, hypothetical game,  Millwall v Palace in the play off final to get to the premier league, who you supporting? 

Years back when it was palace v West Ham in the play off final, that was a bad day for me. Despise them both, couldn’t decide who I hated most. Plumped for palace in the end as at the time I hated west ham slightly more, and palace won, but it was bittersweet 
    Palace all day.  I live amongst no palace fans in blackfen/welling area, I’ve millwall mates, and my go-to is “come back when you’ve seen your team win against Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal etc in the PL”. So easy to answer that.

With us in the third tier, palace.

with us in the prem, Millwall 
  • Stig said:

Man City.  I’m done with this shit, I want in on the glory hunter scene.