Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How Do You Decide As A Neutral?

13»

Comments

• stonemuse said:
    Question for you all, hypothetical game,  Millwall v Palace in the play off final to get to the premier league, who you supporting? 

Years back when it was palace v West Ham in the play off final, that was a bad day for me. Despise them both, couldn’t decide who I hated most. Plumped for palace in the end as at the time I hated west ham slightly more, and palace won, but it was bittersweet 
    As much as it hurts me to say it, I’d want you to win. 

Palaaarse … the only club I’ve ever wanted to go out of existence … at least it’s a proper South East London derby when we play you lot. 
    Forget postcodes, just look at a map, it’s the only true one. 
    Okay then.

But been around this bit since 1910. We’ve been a professional football club operating in SE London longer than Charlton have. 10 years longer in fact. You was still a boys club when we moved south. 

Touché 😉
  • stonemuse said:
    Question for you all, hypothetical game,  Millwall v Palace in the play off final to get to the premier league, who you supporting? 

Years back when it was palace v West Ham in the play off final, that was a bad day for me. Despise them both, couldn’t decide who I hated most. Plumped for palace in the end as at the time I hated west ham slightly more, and palace won, but it was bittersweet 

Palaaarse … the only club I’ve ever wanted to go out of existence … at least it’s a proper South East London derby when we play you lot. 
    Okay then.

But been around this bit since 1910. We’ve been a professional football club operating in SE London longer than Charlton have. 10 years longer in fact. You was still a boys club when we moved south. 

Touché 😉
    You f*** us on and off the pitch, you f*** us on a message board.
  • Question for you all, hypothetical game,  Millwall v Palace in the play off final to get to the premier league, who you supporting? 

Tricky one, as i hate both but i think it might have to be Palace based simply on the fact that Palace have been in the PL a lot and you guys never have, so i'd rather we still had that over you.

Also have a few Millwall mates and would hate to see them going to places likes Man City, United, Liverpool etc whilst we get turned over by fucking Cheltenham and MK Dons.
    We’ve been in the top flight. It just had a different name then 😆
    You have yes but no one really remembers that. Half your fanbase wasn't even alive.
  • Question for you all, hypothetical game,  Millwall v Palace in the play off final to get to the premier league, who you supporting? 

Millwall.
    They bring out the best neanderthal in me and for some reason I like their banter.
    A few years ago I travelled back from Cambridge on a train with a load of 'Walls' after they had beaten Cambridge in a pre-season friendly.
    An hour of top quality entertainment followed, although not everyone in the carriage may have agreed. When a lot of them entered the carriage from the adjoining one after leaving Cambridge to get some seats in a busy train, two student aged female tourists fled to the next carriage. 
    They made it very clear to all that they were Millwall and that no one should like them...
    They brought their own refreshment trolley on board - the nearest off licence to Cambridge Station may have been a bit short of stock after their visit.
    Throughout they tried to engage with the two coppers who were chaperoning them back to Kings Cross. The older sergeant was not amused, having none of it and clearly despised them. But his younger mate could see the funny side and spent the hour trying not to laugh and avoid an inevitable bollocking from his boss if he did. When the PC replied "Stevenage" after one of the Lions asked him which team he supported, the Walls erupted with laughter.
    I survived telling one of them that I followed Charlton, although he guessed before I could answer him.
    Never liked Palace, but was quite pleased when I saw their 3-0 scoreline against Spurs last Saturday.

• Underdog, play in red, or other family/mate/Charlton connections. Lower down soft spots for Cheltenham (which didn't help on Saturday), Orient, Bolton, Brighton  for those reasons. Of the Sky 6, it'd be Arsenal or United as a neutral. Hate Chelsea. 
    Millwall to beat Palace in play off final. Probably got as many mates from each, but Palace's wannabe thing really annoys me. And the diving. 

Tricky one, as i hate both but i think it might have to be Palace based simply on the fact that Palace have been in the PL a lot and you guys never have, so i'd rather we still had that over you.

Also have a few Millwall mates and would hate to see them going to places likes Man City, United, Liverpool etc whilst we get turned over by fucking Cheltenham and MK Dons.
    We’ve been in the top flight. It just had a different name then 😆
    You have yes but no one really remembers that. Half your fanbase wasn't even alive.
    Even less of your fan base (if any) was around when you won the FA Cup, doesn’t stop your fans mentioning it though (and rightly so)
  • Interesting comments.
    I've lived here in Norfolk since 1971 and have watched many Norwich city games.
    Using my neighbors or brother in laws season ticket's when they can't attend games.
    Sometimes freebies and sometimes hospitality from my mates company.
    I say watched because I'm totally unemotionally attached to Norwich City, so actually watch instead of just seeing the game.
    When I go to the Valley I only see the red and white of my Charlton hero's, regardless of my best intention of studying the other team.
    When watching games at Carrow Road I'm convinced I'm watching a different game to the home supporters and this is true when visiting other grounds.
    I used to travel for work around the U.K. and tried to take in a match wherever I was. 
    I hope I've explained the difference between watching and just seeing a game and other posters may have the same experience when attending as a neutral.

• rananegra said:
    Underdog, play in red, or other family/mate/Charlton connections. Lower down soft spots for Cheltenham (which didn't help on Saturday), Orient, Bolton, Brighton  for those reasons. Of the Sky 6, it'd be Arsenal or United as a neutral. Hate Chelsea. 
    Millwall to beat Palace in play off final. Probably got as many mates from each, but Palace's wannabe thing really annoys me. And the diving. 
    The ‘try hards’ as I call them. 
  • I’ve got a pecking order for when the big teams are involved, but basically City (and maybe Spurs) are the only ones I can tolerate. After that it will depends on the personalities of the players/managers and I will sometimes be influenced by an incident or an injustice. 
    As for a Palace v Millwall play off final, I wouldn’t watch the game until the final moments. Then I would use all my mind power to filter out the celebrations and just enjoy the Palace fans crying/Millwall fighting each other, depending on the result. 
  • Sponsored links:

• After our result, the next result i look for is millwall losing - palace a long distant third. I would be willing Palace to win if they played Millwall in a play off final. I have plenty of Millwall mates and acquaintances, very few Palace but millwall losing is the only thing that can take the edge off a Charlton loss.
  • rananegra said:
    Underdog, play in red, or other family/mate/Charlton connections. Lower down soft spots for Cheltenham (which didn't help on Saturday), Orient, Bolton, Brighton  for those reasons. Of the Sky 6, it'd be Arsenal or United as a neutral. Hate Chelsea. 
    The ‘try hards’ as I call them. 
    I call them c****!
    Yeah that as well 
  • This post is actually quite relevant to me.

Been really getting into the NFL recently given it's the only thing on for me in the evenings, but I have no great affinity to any particular team. 

Local side is the Seahawks but they come across as a bit metrosexual to me.

I really enjoy watching the Kansas City Chiefs because Patrick Mahomes is unbelievable, but it goes against my nature to support a successful team, plus I could never get to the games.

Quite like the Dallas Cowboys because I love visiting Texas and I suspect there's a bit more atmosphere visiting a game down there with a locals.
  • Interesting comments.
    I've lived here in Norfolk since 1971 and have watched many Norwich city games.
    Using my neighbors or brother in laws season ticket's when they can't attend games.
    Sometimes freebies and sometimes hospitality from my mates company.
    I say watched because I'm totally unemotionally attached to Norwich City, so actually watch instead of just seeing the game.
    When I go to the Valley I only see the red and white of my Charlton hero's, regardless of my best intention of studying the other team.
    When watching games at Carrow Road I'm convinced I'm watching a different game to the home supporters and this is true when visiting other grounds.
    I used to travel for work around the U.K. and tried to take in a match wherever I was. 
    I hope I've explained the difference between watching and just seeing a game and other posters may have the same experience when attending as a neutral.

Sure it's not all about Deliah's pies at Norwich?
  • Want Milwall, Palace, Chelski, Spurs to lose. Don't mind Hammers, lived in Essex for 20 years, so have lots of Hammers mates. Like to see Brighton do well as live in Hove now. Obv would like to see Palace go down and hopefully Burnley, think they've outstayed their welcome now. Never think i'll watch this game Burnley are playing..

• Didn't used to like Burnley. My opinions changed after one game.
  • stonemuse said:

Okay then.

It's arguable that Millwall is an East London club, although I suppose such logic would mean that Arse are South London.

Millwall.
    They bring out the best neanderthal in me and for some reason I like their banter.
    A few years ago I travelled back from Cambridge on a train with a load of 'Walls' after they had beaten Cambridge in a pre-season friendly.
    An hour of top quality entertainment followed, although not everyone in the carriage may have agreed. When a lot of them entered the carriage from the adjoining one after leaving Cambridge to get some seats in a busy train, two student aged female tourists fled to the next carriage. 
    They made it very clear to all that they were Millwall and that no one should like them...
    They brought their own refreshment trolley on board - the nearest off licence to Cambridge Station may have been a bit short of stock after their visit.
    Throughout they tried to engage with the two coppers who were chaperoning them back to Kings Cross. The older sergeant was not amused, having none of it and clearly despised them. But his younger mate could see the funny side and spent the hour trying not to laugh and avoid an inevitable bollocking from his boss if he did. When the PC replied "Stevenage" after one of the Lions asked him which team he supported, the Walls erupted with laughter.
    I survived telling one of them that I followed Charlton, although he guessed before I could answer him.
    Never liked Palace, but was quite pleased when I saw their 3-0 scoreline against Spurs last Saturday.

Good post until the last sentence. Did someone else whack you over the head and finish the post for you? Wtf?
  • @Redhenry has West Ham mates so wants them to win.

@DOUCHER has Millwall mates so wants them to lose.

I'd like to hear the two discuss the psychology of this.
  • Sorry for 4th consecutive post on this thread :) but to answer the question I'd want Millwall to win.

If the two clubs were people:

Mr Millwall would be very direct to the point of being rude and obnoxious. He would come across as impolite and arrogant. However when you talk to him, he wouldn't be so bad and although you might not agree with him, you'd respect him.

Mr Palace would initially seem at first like a great guy but gradually you'd realise that behind the well presented act, he's fake and full of shit.

I prefer the first kind of person.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry for 4th consecutive post on this thread :) but to answer the question I'd want Millwall to win.

Mr Millwall would be very direct to the point of being rude and obnoxious. He would come across as impolite and arrogant. However when you talk to him, he wouldn't be so bad and although you might not agree with him, you'd respect him.

Mr Palace would initially seem at first like a great guy but gradually you'd realise that behind the well presented act, he's fake and full of shit.

And probably does nasty things with animals.
  • edited September 2021
  • @Redhenry has West Ham mates so wants them to win.

@DOUCHER has Millwall mates so wants them to lose.

I'd like to hear the two discuss the psychology of this.
    quite simple really - having grown up in Eltham, i've had to listen to all this nonsense about how great Bermondsey etc is and how hard they are - most have lived in the suburbs all their life, most couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag and most didn't realise they were millwall fans til they got to about 15 years old (quickly discarding the west ham and arsenal kits) and most don't go to games - all that, yet i have to field the banter when they get another lucky win against us - it grates and i don't mind admitting it  
  • edited September 2021
    stonemuse said:

Okay then.

It's arguable that Millwall is an East London club, although I suppose such logic would mean that Arse are South London.
    If you follow the cardinal points and not the river Thames then Millwall the area is actually in SE London. (Ok I’m clutching at straws here)

Good post and pretty much how I see us and them. 

Millwall, all day long. I don’t like Millwall, but I respect them. Genuine support. No gimmicks. No tourists. Just plain horrible.