Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who is the next 'best player in the world'?

Comments

• edited September 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Pedri will become the best in the world.
    Shoo-in for the Golden Boy award this year surely.

Looks a huge talent.
  • edited September 2021
    De bruyne! Pedri looks decent. 
    Gonna be hard to reach cr7 messi zidane levels. 
  • A fully fit firing on all cylinders KDB is the world best midfielder I know that much.  A champions league medal or two under his belt and it’s hard to argue against him being the best in the world.

Up and coming you’ve gotta look at Mbappe and Haaland, both have bundles of confidence almost like they know they’re destined to be the best.  I don’t quite put any of our youngsters in there category currently but who knows maybe this is season where Foden goes up a gear.

Not sure we’ll see any of them reach Messi/CR7 levels though, they are a pair of freaks.
  • edited September 2021
    A fully fit firing on all cylinders KDB is the world best midfielder I know that much.  A champions league medal or two under his belt and it’s hard to argue against him being the best in the world.

Up and coming you’ve gotta look at Mbappe and Haaland, both have bundles of confidence almost like they know they’re destined to be the best.  I don’t quite put any of our youngsters in there category currently but who knows maybe this is season where Foden goes up a gear.

Not sure we’ll see any of them reach Messi/CR7 levels though, they are a pair of freaks.
    Was going to say problem is he missed too many games with injury, and then realised he still played 40 games last year.
  • A fully fit firing on all cylinders KDB is the world best midfielder I know that much.  A champions league medal or two under his belt and it’s hard to argue against him being the best in the world.

Was going to say problem is he missed too many games with injury, and then realised he still played 40 games last year.
    He does seem to pick one up then take a while to get back on form, or maybe that’s just cos City have so many options they don’t have to rush him.  One for the purest when on song. 
  • I watch Mbappe and dream of what could have been for Kevin Lisbie 
    Mcacke
  • Hardly anyone agrees with me but Raheem Sterling has elevated himself this year, doesn't look as slick as Messi or as dynamic as Ronaldo but he is so, so effective and understands the game so well now 

If people are chucking Lewandowski in the mix then Kane is also a shout, without standing out and anything in particular he has become a complete forward and also capable of playing as a 10 

Pedri clearly has something about him and if nothing else is physically robust to have played the volume of games he has in the last 12 months, I didn't rate him as highly during the Euros, doesn't mean I think he is shit just that he is as much of a prospect as Foden or Sancho, definitely has the potential 
  • Salah is a great player and think he will continue to improve.

Italian and Spanish national squads have good prospects 

• Anyone said Kante? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Mbappe surely, especially if he is a success at Real Madrid.

A bit hard to judge at the moment given he plays in the farmers league
  • Carter said:
    Hardly anyone agrees with me but Raheem Sterling has elevated himself this year, doesn't look as slick as Messi or as dynamic as Ronaldo but he is so, so effective and understands the game so well now 

If people are chucking Lewandowski in the mix then Kane is also a shout, without standing out and anything in particular he has become a complete forward and also capable of playing as a 10 

Pedri clearly has something about him and if nothing else is physically robust to have played the volume of games he has in the last 12 months, I didn't rate him as highly during the Euros, doesn't mean I think he is shit just that he is as much of a prospect as Foden or Sancho, definitely has the potential 
    I'm a big fan of Sterling and I thought he was outstanding at the Euros but that was coming off his worst season at City for a few years. Towards the back end he was struggling to get in the side. Has definitely improved in some areas but wasn't quite as sharp for me last season, struggled to get into the right position in the box, which is backed up by his goals tally. 
  • Dave2l said:
    Salah is a great player and think he will continue to improve.

Salah has been fantastic over the last few years, just turned 29 so not sure he'll improve personally, but think he's got a few more years at his current level. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyone said Kante? 
    Good shout, played a huge role in Chelsea's transformation under Tuchel. I guess the thing going slightly against him is the fact the bloke next to him outshone him (based on Euros too). 
  • Dave2l said:
    Salah is a great player and think he will continue to improve.

Not convinced there - a lot of his game relies on his pace (and great composure), he's 29 now so it'll start to go.
  • Carter said:
    Hardly anyone agrees with me but Raheem Sterling has elevated himself this year, doesn't look as slick as Messi or as dynamic as Ronaldo but he is so, so effective and understands the game so well now 

Sterling is a great player, sometimes crosses over to the world class category. But i dont think we will be saying he is the best in the world unfortunately.

Mbappe/ Haaland are the obvious ones, Lewandowski is quite old so he wont be around any longer although seems too be getting better every year still. 

Foden will be there abouts too , always thought that just depends if City can dominate Europe then he could be up there. 

Pedri is a great shout, mix of Xavi/Iniesta for me such a clever player. Barcelona might actually hold him back ironically when they haven't got the rich of talents that Messi had to play with.

Noone will ever get near to Messi/Ronaldo just for sheer stats and broke every record, will be a shame when there is no debate between the two anymore. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyone said Kante? 
    Good shout, played a huge role in Chelsea's transformation under Tuchel. I guess the thing going slightly against him is the fact the bloke next to him outshone him (based on Euros too). 
    I started think about picking a world 11 and it jumped out to me he would be the 1st player I would pick.  If I was trying to pick a team to win games as opposed to shoeing in everyone I would pick the other bloke as well.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyone said Kante? 
    I started think about picking a world 11 and it jumped out to me he would be the 1st player I would pick.  If I was trying to pick a team to win games as opposed to shoeing in everyone I would pick the other bloke as well.
    I think he'd get into any midfield in the world. I think he's a better player than Jorginho, just that the Italian had the season of his career last year. I remember watching the Champ League semi though, Kante was unreal against Real Madrid. 
  • Carter said:

Sterling is a great player, sometimes crosses over to the world class category. But i dont think we will be saying he is the best in the world unfortunately.

Mbappe/ Haaland are the obvious ones, Lewandowski is quite old so he wont be around any longer although seems too be getting better every year still. 

Foden will be there abouts too , always thought that just depends if City can dominate Europe then he could be up there. 

Pedri is a great shout, mix of Xavi/Iniesta for me such a clever player. Barcelona might actually hold him back ironically when they haven't got the rich of talents that Messi had to play with.

Noone will ever get near to Messi/Ronaldo just for sheer stats and broke every record, will be a shame when there is no debate between the two anymore. 
    I think it'll be nice, after about 12 years if it!!
  • None of the young players coming through are at the level of Messi or CR7, but that's a pretty unfair way of judging them. It's like being the best batsman after Bradman retires, it's impossible to be as good!
  • Sponsored links:

• None of the young players coming through are at the level of Messi or CR7, but that's a pretty unfair way of judging them. It's like being the best batsman after Bradman retires, it's impossible to be as good!
    Exactly, arguably there was no one that good between Maradona and these two (original Ronaldo had a chance until the injuries), and we still had some incredible players.
  • If they have long careers then i think we'll see Haaland and Mbappe post similar goalscoring numbers to Ronaldo and Messi.

Mbappe is 22 and closing in on 200 career goals, Haaland only just turned 21 and has close to 150 goals.
  • What does help those players not in the Premier league is the amount of games their side can feasibly win 7-0 Spain and France definitely Germany less so
  • edited September 2021
    Carter said:

Sterling is a great player, sometimes crosses over to the world class category.
    I think Sterling is solidly world class. 
  • Jude Bellingham is going to be a bit special 
  • Agree with the comments on Pedri he looks special. Another Barca player - Ansu Fati could also be a good shout. He is incredible but will be interesting to see if his injury has affected him
  • edited September 2021
    I’m biased, but although Damsgaard might not end up as the very best in the world, he’s young and will be right up there near the top in a few years time.
    What a player.
  • Scoham said:
    It doesn't show you who was the best player ever, it shows you who had the best career.

Best I would say is absolute peek of their powers.

Greatest is best x length IMO.  If that makes sense.

Best: Maradona (86), Ronaldo (96/7), Platini (84)

Greatest: Messi, Ronaldo, Pele.