Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parking near The Valley....

After getting away with it for a couple of years worth of CAFC games, I finally got slapped with a parking fine for parking in the retail park opposite the Valley for home games. Probably should of known better, but hey-ho...

Needless to say I wont be trying that one again!

Can anyone recommend a road/street/area thats OK to park in for home games? Preferably near to the Valley of course!

Comments

• edited August 2013
    5 quid near Makros theres a couple of car parks , cheaper than a fine , i got done same as you a few years back.
  • My brother got a ticket there too at the Boro game
  • the industrial estates towards Woolwich on the left have plenty of parking, all free, and an easy walk across the level crossing and past the Oak.
  • My brother got a ticket there too at the Boro game

Same here, think they've stepped up their patrols of the retail park....
  • theres a free car park opposite the fish and chips shop towards Charlton House
  • The estate at the top of Charlton church lane is free. Parked there for years with no bother.
  • £5 car park off Victoria Road - 10-15 min walk to ground but quick getaway back to A102M if heading that way.
  • £5 car park off Victoria Road - 10-15 min walk to ground but quick getaway back to A102M if heading that way.

...Sorry meant Victoria Way
  • going to be driving and parking for the first time for the Hudders game and thinking of parking round the industrial estate by the Thames Barrier, does anyone else park there or know if its ok?
  • Sponsored links:

• you'll be fine parking on street anywhere you can find a space on sunday , probably safer than leaving it in an industrial estate.
  • Plenty of parking up by the village Trev. Easy to get away afterwards as well.
  • going to be driving and parking for the first time for the Hudders game and thinking of parking round the industrial estate by the Thames Barrier, does anyone else park there or know if its ok?

Yes, park there all the time and no problems. Don't take my space!

• I use it all the time, no probs.
  • If you are going for a drink The Rose of Denmark has a small car park.
  • Makro car park. I've been doing it all season and been fine

I used to park on those retail parks and got 2 tickets in very quick succession (by the time the 1st one got to me the 2nd had been issued). All caught on digital cameras.
    Strange because it is always packed on a match day and you see fans walking to the ground
  • Hope you don't pay the fine. Just say you didn't notice the signs so didn't enter into a contract with Makro. No one has ever been prosecuted by a private car park operator. The law is unlikely to uphold the fines as fair or proportionate and I can't see them wanting that proved by losing a real case.
  • Plenty of parking up by the village Trev. Easy to get away afterwards as well.

Agree with this. Usually plenty of spaces in the parking bays. That said, it's probably more convenient to park in the Village for those, like me, who are in the East Stand. Short walk to the Bugle Horn, then down the alley by the co-op, short stroll down the hill and you're there.

• edited March 2014
    Get yourself a Makro card and if you come back to a ticket go in, buy a pack of Mars bars (or an industrial size tin of Bovril if that's your tipple), go to customer services and say "wtf!?"

Alternatively, park on the streets up the top of the park and wander down. Been doing it since the £5 car park across from Makro shut down about 18 months ago. Quick getaway too towards Shooters Hill.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nothing wrong with street parking in Delafield road. It has a 2 hour restriction, but never known anyone to get a ticket there or surrounding roads....................
  • edited October 2014
    Swisdom said:

Makro car park. I've been doing it all season and been fine

I used to park on those retail parks and got 2 tickets in very quick succession (by the time the 1st one got to me the 2nd had been issued). All caught on digital cameras.
    Strange because it is always packed on a match day and you see fans walking to the ground

Do you have a Charlton sticker at the back of your car or notice anyone else's and got away with it?

The £5 car park I normally go to has shut down so I am trying to find an alternative.
  • Hope you don't pay the fine. Just say you didn't notice the signs so didn't enter into a contract with Makro. No one has ever been prosecuted by a private car park operator. The law is unlikely to uphold the fines as fair or proportionate and I can't see them wanting that proved by losing a real case.

All this has changed when the law did to allow private parking companies to go after the registered keeper in the event that the driver's identity was not known.
    First, sure, you will not get prosecuted. It's a civil contract. But you might get taken to court for the non-payment of their speculative invoice - it's not a fine but a penalty charge.
    The cases are dealt with by a low-ranking Judge, so the matter is NOT precedent setting. Results are very different and some judgements make it clear what the Judge thinks about the company. BUT companies like Parking Eye are not really worried when judgements go against them as they sometimes do. They will still win enough to make it worth their while. Presently it is estimated that Parking Eye might be commencing legal proceedings for around 1,000 cases a week. Of course many never get that far because people pay up and some are lost because of the various legal complexities like whether they are claiming for monies they are entitled to or claiming an exorbitant penalty. Or whether the signage was accurate, legal and readable. Or whether they are actually entitled to claim at all because they have no rights to the land.

The current wisdom appears to have changed from "just ignore all letters" to either paying up or appealing the matter to POPLA before considering incurring the cost of fighting the matter in Court and getting a somewhat random judgement. But here's quite a good one: debtrecoveryplus.co.uk/debtor/ParkingEye%20v%20Beavis%20and%20Wardley%20Judgment.pdf

• @CAFC, you are not correct to say it is a "penalty" charge.

Private companies cannot issue penalty charges. Any document that uses the word penalty in connection with private land is not valid.

Don't pay it, and don't contact them under any circumstances.

Let them take you to court.

They won't bother.
  • @CAFC, you are not correct to say it is a "penalty" charge.

Private companies cannot issue penalty charges. Any document that uses the word penalty in connection with private land is not valid.

Don't pay it, and don't contact them under any circumstances.

Let them take you to court.

They won't bother.

I am correct. It's just that they don't call them that that for the obvious reason you have stated! But that is what anyone who defends a case calls it because they hope that by doing so it will be unenforceable. Whether the Judge agrees with them is another matter. In my view, in a car park that is otherwise free unless you exceed two hours parking or whatever, it can only be a penalty rather than a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

In any event, while luck might well be on your side do you want to take the risk when there is clear evidence that some cases are going to court. The judgement I posted above shows that. It is common sense that a further larger number are dealt with before they get that far (but at a higher cost to the parker). As does a FoI request which showed that several hundreds of cases had gone that far for Parking Eye alone from a period before their lawyers really got up a head of steam. Then there's the people on here forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30; who have received court papers, ignored them and now find they've got a CCJ which has stuffed their credit rating. So do you think you advice is sensible and are you still sticking with it?

For anyone inclined to take it, I'd point out that it's very easy for you to say let them take you to court - it's not you who will be a few hundred quid out of pocket if they do is it? Or do you intend to provide some form of warranty?
  • Usually get the train to save the hassle but looking to bring my 5 year old boy who has a learning disability so would struggle with the travel plus match. Any suggestions for parking that is walkable to the ground? Don't mind paying for a car park, just want to make sure I can find a space for a transporter van! Thanks all.
  • IanJRO said:
    Usually get the train to save the hassle but looking to bring my 5 year old boy who has a learning disability so would struggle with the travel plus match. Any suggestions for parking that is walkable to the ground? Don't mind paying for a car park, just want to make sure I can find a space for a transporter van! Thanks all.
    Parking around the ground is hopeless.....unless you get there 2 hours early. South of the ground (Charlton Park area) is residential & pot luck if you manage to get a space anywhere. No chance if you have a big van. No fee paying car parks or schools like around most other grounds. South of the ground (lower road) has parking around the industrial estates but not parked there for a couple of years. Again, not really any fee paying car parks and I think the retail parks are highly policed if you are gone 3 hours like you would be for a match. 
  • IanJRO said:
    Usually get the train to save the hassle but looking to bring my 5 year old boy who has a learning disability so would struggle with the travel plus match. Any suggestions for parking that is walkable to the ground? Don't mind paying for a car park, just want to make sure I can find a space for a transporter van! Thanks all.
    I park at the rear of Charlton Park,along Woolwich Road from blackheath,turn right by Charlton House,then left ,if you get there early ,this normally ok.It is 10-15 minute walk.
  • @golfaddick and @thickandthin63 thanks for the replies, much appreciated 👍
  • IanJRO said:
    When we took my girlfriends grandfather who is blind and doesn't walk very well, we were able to park in the Valley car park. Worth maybe looking at that?