Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Crewe Alexandra | Saturday 28th August | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    At least one team worse than us. In this game the keepers our the m o m for each team.
  • Options
    First game for ages, don’t know what you’re all moaning about, I had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon at the Valley (bear in mind I haven’t watched any streams since we got relegated!)

Thought Washington had a good game and DJ caused them some problems. Pretty solid performance all over. Shame Thomas isn’t still a Charlton player thought he looked good for Crewe although they were pretty poor side. Decent game though.
  • Options
    yes!!, much better all round , looked more of a team. Well done to Albie, his best 90mins this season, particularly the last 15 of the 1st half, if he makes that his worst level of performance he may prove me wrong. But one swallow as they say. Watson also surprised me a consistently effective 90 mins. Wish jayasiemi would take on his man a bit more when 1 on 1. Elewere reminds me a little of Richard rufus, would love to him to be half the player. Washington needs to sort his finishing!!.Well done lads finally got going.👍
  • Options
    Good perfoemances all over the pitch, and a deserved mention for Albie who cleared one off the line and was generally everywhere you needed him. Jayesemi looked tidy, and took his gola well, and the keeper pulled off a couple of great saves. All in all a good afternoon. Happy days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For a good penalty taker, Washington is a funny old finisher!
  • Options
    Turning point in our season.
  • Options
    Good performance all round and a good confidence builder - albeit against a poor side. 

There is still work to be done if we are to compete at top six level.
  • Options
    Much better all round back 5 excellent as was Deji when he came on quite a prospect Connor played well and a much improved Albie. Good to go into a international break on a win. Hope for a couple more additions including Harry Arter who will be excellent and we can look ahead with confidence 
  • Options
    Washington was immense and deserved a goal (but had left his shooting boots behind). DJ not far behind. Albi looked much better in the 442 than the 4231. Watson anchored the middle well, and both fullbacks did well. We should have scored more, but needed a couple of excellent saves from MacGillivray to stay safe. Really enjoyable game to watch!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Much better 
  • Options
    Curbs saying Arter incoming? Would be a good signing….coming home 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    So Curbs saying Arter is incoming, NIge tight lipped, but as we know... "When it's on the Official Ronnie Moore Site"  :)
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Good game. One of those matches that easily could’ve ended 6-3. We carried much more goal threat which is largely why we looked better. Some of that is undoubtedly because Crewe were not great but you beat what’s in front of you. You could see the confidence growing and that shone a light on some of the potential in this team.

Lots an lots still to work on… we needed 4 good saves from CM and two goal line clearances from Albie to preserve the clean sheet and, in particular, although we got in behind a lot we were very wasteful with the ball come the final pass, especially in the second half. There was one fantastic save from Stockley’s header and Washington should’ve done better with a couple of opportunities but other than that we didn’t covert enough of our good positions into shots. It was one of Bowyer’s main criticisms of the players last season as well.

The green shoots of recovery were there though. Hopefully a few more reinforcements in the next few days to complete the puzzle and this can become a launching pad for the rest of the season. 

I thought everyone had a decent game, my only slight disappointment was Kirk wasn’t more to the fore given how open the game was, but he wasn’t anonymous either. Morgan I thought had an excellent match and hopefully quietend some of the criticism which hasn’t been unfounded but has definitely been overblown. Gunter’s beat game for us as well, I think he largely been highest disappointing for us but was great today. CM looking much more like the good keeper we were told we’d be getting, some good saves, dealt with a couple of crosses and soils with his kicking. 
  • Options
    A good result but painting over the cracks as a poor Crewe team. Gunter had a great game but is lacking when up against an attacking threat. Conor had a great game. Albie played better in his natural position but still think we need an upgrade there. It will be a problem if Stockley gets injured so need backup there. 2 or 3 incoming would be ideal.