Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Crewe Alexandra | Saturday 28th August | Post-match Thread

By hook or by crook we needed a good result today. And we got it. Our first win of the season. Three points and the all-important clean sheet at a happy Valley.

Jaiyesmimi and Stockley with the goals, but it was a team effort with improved performances all round. 

The first fifteen minutes was all Addicks. Our shock-and-awe attack was effective in taking Crewe out of the game, but we failed to convert any of the opportunities. Crewe worked their way back into the game until we scored from a Jaiyesmimi bullet header from an attack down the right. Stockley must have been envious of the finish. He had his own goal minutes later, besting the keeper in a one-on-one finish (with his foot!).

Gunter and Washington were my standout players. Their work caused many of our opportunities. An effective cameo from Elliot Lee.

We never looked truly troubled, though Crewe had their chances. Two off the line, including a header from our own Famewo!

Perhaps we should have converted a few more of our chances, but soak up the winning feeling and let’s hope we can make the most of this jolt of confidence.

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    Not dog shit. That's better, even if it was only Crewe, who were mainly poor.
  • Options
    A clean sheet win!
    Stop it!
  • Options
    Hot doggity dawg an actual win! Astonishing! Makes an English beach holiday is the freezing wind pleasurable for a moment!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Solid performance, looking like we might sneak mid table at this rate. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Much better performance but you have to temper that with how poor Crewe were. 
    We should have had 5 or 6 and would have if Washington had his shooting boots on today but he still played well. 
    I do wish we would have totally killed off Crewe which we had the chance to do but I can see why the players didn’t want to risk going all out attack near the end . . 
    At last , a happy Saturday night after a win . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just 6 points off an outright - what’s not to like?
  • Options
    18 SHOTS!! Great 3 points and looking a better team. Can only get better if we get a few more players in before the Window closes. 
    An enjoyable weekend at last.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    From creating no chances... To creating about 20 in one game! It all came together today. Thought we looked good down either wing with the wing-backs overlapping and getting people into the box (something CL has been calling out). 

Some great performances in there. Gunter with his best in a Charlton shirt. Stockley leading the line well. DJ unplayable at times. Lee did great when he came on. Morgan much improved. 

If I had to pick out a negative, we don't look like a team who will get a lot of clean sheets this season. There's a lot of holes at the back. 

A great victory to build on. 
  • Options
    As long as we are above the league winners Ipswich we should be playing in the Premiership next season 🤓
  • Options
    If we play this formation, who will cover Stockley and Washington when rested/injured, Lee perhaps for Washington, but still need a Stockley type forward in, for the game itself today, big shout out from me to the players that get slated on here such as Watson and Gunter, not too sure what to make of Kirk, doesn't seem to be too involved, early days maybe.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    So that's now 4-0, 3-0, 5-2 and 2-0 in the last 4 home games I've missed, anyone know if you can get a refund a season ticket 
    No…!!!,but stay away a lot more please…😂😂😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Much better display! Players getting into the box and more shots at goal. Decent defending too. We controlled the ball more a lot more today, midfield better. Couple/few more players and some luck with injuries and we'll do OK. 
  • Options
    Much much better. No real negatives, so can't complain.
  • Options
    Effectively 442 until near the end and we looked much better for it. Stockley was not as isolated.
    Its still not going for Kirk tho, hopefully he will click soon.
    This formation with Arter and Lee in the centre would work well.
  • Options
    Mental playing 442 Crewe just walked through and what was DJ doing coming in at far post and scoring he needs to stay out on the wing.I’m mental don’t know what I’m  on about we should play 433 like everyone else. Good go see so many players in then box COYR 
  • Options
    It's a start in a long season, nobody gets promoted in August. A few more players in before the window closes  and see where we are in January. We'll done to the players as pressure was starting to build on them. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    The little I saw of the second half, I thought Lee looked excellent and was involved in the majority of our attacks through the last 15.

Clare was also heavily involved down that right side and gives us solidity there if for example we need him to tuck inside to form a three (with Kirk an outlet on the left) on a tough away day at Sunderland/Sheff Wed.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Let's support and encourage DJ. He has a high ceiling but am already hearing too many typical Charlton comments on him. For example, people slagging him off on the match thread then suddenly saying how well he played in the post match thread.
    I doubt he cares what's said in the match thread. He got a great reception after he left the pitch