Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Crewe Alexandra | Saturday 28th August | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Seemed to be a lot more efforts at goal and more on target than previous games. 

Got the first win monkey off our back. 

Onwards and upwards. 
  • Options
    Played the red red red when the team walked out for the first time in the league this season and we won. QED.

Much better performance albeit v a poor team missing Lowry and Tate as well as Kirk 

The often overlooked Washington made the difference but lots of solid performances.

Just as there were huge overreactions to the poor results and performances it's only one win v a bottom four side but it's three points and a start.
    Yes agreed, as much as the poor performances deserved criticism, the good deserve praise. Both individually and collectively. Today deserves plenty of praise.👍
  • Options
    like everyone else here, it was much better. onwards to crawley in the cup
  • Options
    Saturday night sarcasm!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Season started today. That’s what we’ve got to believe. We’ve given top spot an 8 point start and sixth place a 6 point start. That’s our fault but it’s in our hands to claw that back. My goal is top six by Christmas then see where we are.
  • Options
    I really saw this as a green chutes of recovery performance. I thought we were solid rather than impressive. We need 3/4 more bodies still but hopefully that will be sorted soon. We need to be much more clinical and again hopefully that will come. Was also pleased to see a different formation as I was starting to worry that NA was too obsessed with starting 4-2-3-1. 

I think Kirk will get better in the coming weeks. Really can’t lose sight of how much the lad has gone through in the last few weeks. Wouldn’t mind him getting a game on Tuesday night. 
    I really really want Albie to make it and think NA will keep trying to get him in the team whenever he can. I’m sure others saw Euell speaking to him at length at the end of the game. 
    I thought Gunter was good today and Matthews ok but I still think both need to be consistently better and stronger/better teams will continue to cause us/them issues. 
    Watson was solid today but again against the level of opposition I expected that.
    Famewo was quality today and I still don’t believe we’ll sign him on a permanent. Inniss was very solid and hopefully he’s ok but Deji was solid when he came on and we really really need him on a long contract. 
    Washington is such a hard worker but he really should have scored at least one today.
    I love Stockley and he won everything today. We dare not lose him despite my desire for us to have an alternative style if he’s not playing. 
    DJ was good today and bagged. Think he’s a rough diamond and still needs plenty of polishing but think he’ll learn and improve hopefully. 
    Really liked the cameo from Lee who I think could be a very good signing. 
    McG made some good saves and hopefully he will continue to improve. Really wanted that clean sheet!

With regard to Crewe I feel sorry for them as they’ve had their team ripped apart in about a season. I would happily have Mandron at the Valley as think he could be a good understudy to Stockley.
    Fully expect them to be relegated this season but hope they stay up. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    MattF said:
    So that's now 4-0, 3-0, 5-2 and 2-0 in the last 4 home games I've missed, anyone know if you can get a refund a season ticket 
    No…!!!,but stay away a lot more please…😂😂😉
    Rotherham October 9th is the next one 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Thought it was a sensible decision to take him off at the time - Deji dealt well with MK a few weeks ago, we were 2-0 up so absolutely no point in risking Ryan when he now has two weeks off
  • Options
    Much better, more attempts at goal and some goals.

Much better playing two up top and a couple of wingers working back.

Thought we looked all at sea when he took the two wingers off and changed formation.

• Options
    Before the game would have taken any type of win. Personally, I thought Crewe were terrible and am certain they will be relegated.

Thought Gunter was brilliant today playing out of position. Washington’s movement makes a big difference and was unfortunate to not put the game to bed with his 1 on 1.

However, pleased we got the win. Plenty to work on but got a two week break until Cheltenham at home. We still need quality to come in the window, but there is enough out there to make a good team in this division.
  • Options
    Funny that "will get better" seems the polite way of saying "had a quiet game".
  • Options
    Always a pleasure to leave work to find out we’ve picked up three points, especially today with them being the first of the season. Thought things had gone wrong again because I usually have someone keeping me up to date. I guess no one wanted to shock me with the good news but their loss, they would’ve got extra duff at tea. 
  • Options
    RRR loud and clear in the Covered End.
    Nice chat with @shine166.
    Sebs song gets better.
  • Options
    It’s a start. Every point is a prisoner. Goodness knows what the bloodletting would have been like if we’d blown it today. We didn’t. Onwards and hopefully Upwards. Left back and striker required on Monday please. 
    You are right.

But if we had lost today the bloodletting would have been justified. 

Arter, Kirk, Jaiyesimi, Stockley will hopefully be enough.

How Solly at his best would have bolstered this team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A much better performance than last week, albeit against much worse opposition, a team plundered of its star home grown talents

It was more the formation, rather than new signings, which made the difference today. Stockley is so much more effective when he has a willing runner alongside him, while Morgan is much more effective in a deeper position, but with the opportunity to break forward, than permanently up behind Stockley. Washington is such a nuisance for defenders with his movement.

I was really impressed with both full backs, both carried far more of an attacking threat than usual, which makes such a difference. If Gunter is able to stick the ball in with his left, it makes us far less predictable, that cross for the goal shows he can do it. Watson is past his best, but still has a decent football brain. I can't see Adkins going in with Morgan and Watson against the best teams, but in a game like today, they're far more progressive footballers than Dobson, who I'm not convinced by.

DJ was hot and cold as ever, but the hot bits were excellent, which is ultimately what matters. Clare showed he can be very effective out wide on the right, which makes me wonder how much game time CBT will see.
  • Options
    What a difference Washington made playing central running in behind making gaps. 

DJ played well and looked a threat. Morgan much better playing further back and did a lot of the ugly stuff.

crewe poor but positive signs 
  • Options
    Gunter my MOTM
  • Options
    I've been disappointed with Morgan so far this season, but today he came through for the team and saved our bacon. His two goal line saves kept the points safe. Otherwise we'd have been staring at two points dropped and all hell would've broken loose on here tonight.

Two tickets to the moon please Nigel!
  • Options
    Got to give a bit of credit to Adkins - he's come under some (probably justifiable) criticism for a lack of tactical flexibility sometimes but he mixed it up today to good effect. 

Might not work against a really good attacking side (which Crewe really were not) bit at least it gives a plan B, albeit we're still far too reliant on Stockley for my liking.
  • Options
    20 years ago we were complaining at only getting a point against Arsenal . Tonight we are giving it the proverbial large for managing to broach Crewe Alexandra's woeful defence twice in an hour and a half. 

In my dictionary this is the definition of the word tragic. 

The players came to work and ...did their job today. And no more. As Roy Keane would say "should we congratulate the postman for posting the letters!!?" 

And bringing injury prone Arter in is a strange one. If he suddenly becomes fit for the first time in 5 seasons ... Then it is another master stroke from the Gallen. 
    No. I don't think we ever complained about only getting a point against Arsenal.

Bringing Arter in would be strange if he was an injury prone 3rd division player.

Are you just generally unhappy or is there something specific going on?
  • Options
    RRR loud and clear in the Covered End.
    Nice chat with @shine166.
    Sebs song gets better.
    Good to see you mate 
  • Options
    So after being told by one poster when I suggested 4-4-2, that Nigel knows better than me; pleased to see that Nigel Adkins went with 4-4-2 today.