Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bunch of Amateurs

Comments

• Hey @JiMMy 85 - I watch the Charlwood videos weekly with my boys here in Oz and we are all huge fans!

From my POV it’s brilliant to be able to show them what proper English grass roots football is all about and they love seeing the old style English park pitches.

You have done an amazing job with the videos mate, you should be very proud of yourself.
  • edited May 2021
    I love watching these vids. They make my working from home days go quicker. If ever they make a TV series, Ricky Gervais as the manager of Charlwood. 
  • Thanks for the kind comments. It really helps to motivate when I’m standing at the bottom of a mountain/ edit, and I need to get working! This week’s episode has so much in it I don’t know where to start! 
  • I’m late to the party here. Over the last week I’ve watched every episode . Loved it . Totally addictive. 
    I prefer the Charlwood videos because they feel more fly on the wall . 
    My only criticism is that it’s almost impossible to find them in order but that probably down to Youtube.
    Well done Jimmy . I’m really impressed. Great stuff 
  • @Bedsaddick If you go onto his profile, he's set up playlists for the different clubs: https://www.youtube.com/c/BunchOfAmateurs/playlists
  • aliwibble said:
    @Bedsaddick If you go onto his profile, he's set up playlists for the different clubs: https://www.youtube.com/c/BunchOfAmateurs/playlists
    Cheers . I wish I’d have known that a week ago ! 
  • I've really enjoyed the whole Charlwood series. Having played poor standard Sunday league football, so much of it is relatable, especially the whinging about playing out of position, prima donna behaviour, shit refs and little tantrums.
    Very watchable and the perfect length to watch one or two before going to sleep. Have recommended to mates, and feedback is all good. Well done!
  • Thanks for the feedback! Really nice to hear. I’m right in the middle of an epic edit right now for the Dorking finale and there are plenty of times when I question myself - what the hell am I actually doing here? - so reading nice comments makes me feel like it’s worth persevering. 

Good point re. The playlists. I thought they were widely known but even the Dorking manager had that issue, so as much as I can’t redesign the YouTube layout, I can probably find a way to tell people. 
  • Just watched an episode. Must say very well produced. Great work mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Crying in laughter at the pirouette in the latest episode

https://youtu.be/9KybqVUf1TQ?t=332

5:30 for anyone who hasn't seen it
  • Have you got any other clubs approaching you to be covered in the future? 
  • Been approached by about 20 clubs - plus a rugby team - so far. There's no real reason to change at the moment. Because Marc is both the manager and the owner at DW it's less complicated for me to be involved, plus he's really supportive and we're friends now so it works fine. Also, it's local! One club approached me and it would be 200 miles for me to cover their home games! 

Charlwood season two spoiler alert - What I do regarding Barks and Charlwood remains to be seen. It's likely I will follow Barks at another club and check in on Charlwood for a handful of episodes. But Barks needs to find a suitable club before that can happen, otherwise I've got a decision to make. From what I can tell, I can pretty much choose any club right now, they all want to be on film! 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Been approached by about 20 clubs - plus a rugby team - so far. There's no real reason to change at the moment. Because Marc is both the manager and the owner at DW it's less complicated for me to be involved, plus he's really supportive and we're friends now so it works fine. Also, it's local! One club approached me and it would be 200 miles for me to cover their home games! 

Charlwood season two spoiler alert - What I do regarding Barks and Charlwood remains to be seen. It's likely I will follow Barks at another club and check in on Charlwood for a handful of episodes. But Barks needs to find a suitable club before that can happen, otherwise I've got a decision to make. From what I can tell, I can pretty much choose any club right now, they all want to be on film! 
    I hope you are cashing in Jimmy!. You deserve it. They are brilliant videos and i imagine they are hard work.
    Out of curiosity how many of you are involved because i'm guessing that isn't you who does the commentary or the interviews ?  
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Been approached by about 20 clubs - plus a rugby team - so far. There's no real reason to change at the moment. Because Marc is both the manager and the owner at DW it's less complicated for me to be involved, plus he's really supportive and we're friends now so it works fine. Also, it's local! One club approached me and it would be 200 miles for me to cover their home games! 

I hope you are cashing in Jimmy!. You deserve it. They are brilliant videos and i imagine they are hard work.
    Out of curiosity how many of you are involved because i'm guessing that isn't you who does the commentary or the interviews ?  
    Thanks Beds. Not quite paying off just yet but it is beginning to get somewhere. There are multiple revenue streams that I’m trying to build up to make it viable. 

Barks helps out with some social stuff and my mate has learned to point one of the cameras for me. If he’s not around my girlfriend will do it instead. Otherwise it’s just me, narration and all! I’m writing the script for Sunday’s episode right now and trying to record as a I go, but my voice is croaky so have to wait for the morning to finish it off. 
  • TD Shipley are complete wankers aren’t they. I’ve lost my head just watching it. 
  • TD Shipley are complete wankers aren’t they. I’ve lost my head just watching it. 
    I usually try to not upset anybody. But those two annoyed me so much at the time I figured, it won’t take much effort from me to make them look bad. 

Although I actually pulled back a bit - I had a clip of one of them saying they wouldn’t sign a bad apple like Jamie (a week before they signed Jamie!). Jamie didn’t deserve to be called a bad apple so I cut it. 
  • edited June 2021
    Wait Gary Tomlinson is with Charlwood now? One of my best mates from school 🤣 played together on and off til we were 24/25

Was a fantastic player until he screwed his back up.

Was managing the Horley Town reserves last I saw him.
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Wait Gary Tomlinson is with Charlwood now? One of my best mates from school 🤣 played together on and off til we were 24/25

Yes that's right mate, amazing that you know him. I played 6-a-side with him a month or two back, and he was UNREAL. I have never seen finishing like it. He scored 5 without breaking a sweat. Meanwhile, it was my first game in goal for nearly 12 years (Zach wasn't available) and I broke two ribs stopping a shot! 

In other news, I'm doing a sponsorship deal right now that means I can do BoA as a full time job. Cannot believe it. I have had a mostly horrendous five year period in life and finally it looks like things are finally turning around. Can't wait to announce some of the things the sponsor wants to do with us. And I have a fucking big mouth so it's really hard not to tell everyone!
     Ah sounds good that things are turning. I am certain Terry would have loved seeing how you've grown BoA in such a short time and given the locality I am sure he'd have been along week in, week out.

I noticed there's a Charlton fan playing for Charlwood in this series too, along with as many Charlton references as you can squeeze in.  

It's awesome to see how well it's doing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2021
    In addition I have to say I am really pleased Gary is back playing, he changed as a person when he couldn't play anymore. Has always remained a nice lad, but became a bit introverted (compared to how he used to be). 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Yes that's right mate, amazing that you know him. I played 6-a-side with him a month or two back, and he was UNREAL. I have never seen finishing like it. He scored 5 without breaking a sweat. Meanwhile, it was my first game in goal for nearly 12 years (Zach wasn't available) and I broke two ribs stopping a shot! 

In other news, I'm doing a sponsorship deal right now that means I can do BoA as a full time job. Cannot believe it. I have had a mostly horrendous five year period in life and finally it looks like things are finally turning around. Can't wait to announce some of the things the sponsor wants to do with us. And I have a fucking big mouth so it's really hard not to tell everyone!
     Ah sounds good that things are turning. I am certain Terry would have loved seeing how you've grown BoA in such a short time and given the locality I am sure he'd have been along week in, week out.

I noticed there's a Charlton fan playing for Charlwood in this series too, along with as many Charlton references as you can squeeze in.  

It's awesome to see how well it's doing. 
    Well that got me in the throat! I wouldn’t be doing it without his influence that’s for sure. He used to turn up on his motorbike and park behind my goal to watch me play. 
  • Enjoyed the new series on Holland this morning. They’re my local club and most of the lads I went to school with. I train on the track around the pitch.

Not sure how much research you’ve done on the players before the series @JiMMy 85 but very interested to see how the manager handles some of the players. Lots of talent but terrible attitudes, some with very ‘iffy’ pasts. Will be really interesting to see how the relationship between manager and players develop. I think there might be trouble ahead if they struggle for results.

Not sure if it helps, but some of the players play 5 a side on Monday night at Oxted school if it’s useful extra content for you.
  • Enjoyed the new series on Holland this morning. They’re my local club and most of the lads I went to school with. I train on the track around the pitch.

Not sure how much research you’ve done on the players before the series @JiMMy 85 but very interested to see how the manager handles some of the players. Lots of talent but terrible attitudes, some with very ‘iffy’ pasts. Will be really interesting to see how the relationship between manager and players develop. I think there might be trouble ahead if they struggle for results.

Not sure if it helps, but some of the players play 5 a side on Monday night at Oxted school if it’s useful extra content for you.
    DM incoming! 
  • Look forward to welcoming you to Westfield Jimmy. Hope you can make that one. Won’t be playing this year due to injury in pre season but your certianly to hear my fog horn from the sidelines. 

First time I’ve had to touch the m25 for an away game since my Hastings days. Minibus pending for that one I think. 

• edited December 2021
    Big episode coming up this Sunday…

Trailer: 
    https://youtu.be/HSJZrMcELuo

I’ve been covering Dorking’s FA Cup run. It’s an epic journey! 
  • Hi, Jimmy.

I hadn't read this thread until tonight & only discovered it in a roundabout way.

Our son, Tim, & his family have lived in Dorking for the past 15 years & recently, our youngest granddaughter, Chloe ( 9), has started playing & enjoying football. All 4 of the family came to the Play Off Final in 2019 with us. 

Anyway, Tim & Chloe have started supporting DW & since the start of this season, have attended most home games. 

When we saw them over Christmas, Tim said he would forward to me some YouTube videos about the club which he felt I'd enjoy. And added that the guy producing the series is a Charlton fan....

Tonight, I finally started watching & enjoying them and am currently on S1 E4.

I decided to share the links I received with a dear friend, @GlassHalfFull, and he emailed me back immediately saying THAT Charlton fan is you and pointed me towards this thread! 

Serendipity, and a small world indeed ! 

Having started my love of football watching Dartford FC at pretty much every home game, and some aways, from around 1958-1964, when I "discovered" CAFC, it's really interesting for me to see both on the pitch & behind the scenes footage of another non league club who currently are on a similar journey to The Darts. 

Looking forward to savouring the remaining 18 episodes & hoping that you will be able to document the end of season triumph of Dorking Wanderers' promotion to the National League. 

Wishing you continued success...onwards & upwards ! 

Jean
  • edited January 2022
    @JiMMy 85 just watched the first three Charlwood episodes. Top stuff, really enjoyed them.
  • edited January 2022
    Forget anything on netflix , this is the first thing i look out for every week. 

The Dorking Manager Marc White is fantastic. What a character. Being an owner /manager , i do wonder if he's winging it sometimes but he gets results and the players never question his tactics. In fact they seem terrified of him!

I bet you have some stories you could tell @JiMMy 85