Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bunch of Amateurs

Comments

• Forget anything on netflix , this is the first thing i look out for every week. 

The Dorking Manager Marc White is fantastic. What a character. Being an owner /manager , i do wonder if he's winging it sometimes but he gets results and the players never question his tactics. In fact they seem terrified of him!

I bet you have some stories you could tell @JiMMy 85
    I’m not sure they’re terrified but it’s amazing watching them listen to him before the games and at half time. 

They clearly have a lot of respect for Marc and it’s worlds away from how Barks’ new players were treating him and Mike. 
  • Forget anything on netflix , this is the first thing i look out for every week. 

The Dorking Manager Marc White is fantastic. What a character. Being an owner /manager , i do wonder if he's winging it sometimes but he gets results and the players never question his tactics. In fact they seem terrified of him!

I’m not sure they’re terrified but it’s amazing watching them listen to him before the games and at half time. 

They clearly have a lot of respect for Marc and it’s worlds away from how Barks’ new players were treating him and Mike. 
    Indeed - Marc had a lot of advice for Barks. He saw it all coming a mile off. Big difference is that Holland's players don't care about progressing whereas the DW players are on the right path to get into pro football.   

I don't know much about the money at DW but I think the players are probably well looked after, and with it being a club on the up, they know they have to stay in line. He is absolutely ruthless. He has no qualms about dumping players if they don't do what he wants (they're had five goalkeepers this season alone!). He might be a park manager but his record - and ability to adapt - are undeniable. 

• edited January 2022
    @JiMMy 85 I'm in awe at your editing and how you put it all together.  I've been playing with video a bit in the last few months with a view to shooting short wedding videos to offer my B&Gs alongside the photographs.  What kit do you use?  I vaguely remember you said you shoot Sony previously?  I guessed you'd had more than one camera man and more than a few Go Pros dotted about.  I'm assuming you record all the audio totally separately with mics?

Oh and btw, do you do the voice overs?  I've done a few you tube videos on photo editing and stuff but my voice is ridiculously deep.  Any tips how I can fix it, other than kicking myself in the balls?  Can it be changed in post-production somehow?

Keep up the good work, its becoming essential viewing when the wife isn't about.
  • Thus has completely passed me by before, will have to give it a watch!  Any recommendations for which order to go in/which team first?
  • edited January 2022
    JohnBoyUK said:
    @JiMMy 85 I'm in awe at your editing and how you put it all together.  I've been playing with video a bit in the last few months with a view to shooting short wedding videos to offer my B&Gs alongside the photographs.  What kit do you use?  I vaguely remember you said you shoot Sony previously?  I guessed you'd had more than one camera man and more than a few Go Pros dotted about.  I'm assuming you record all the audio totally separately with mics?

Oh and btw, do you do the voice overs?  I've done a few you tube videos on photo editing and stuff but my voice is ridiculously deep.  Any tips how I can fix it, other than kicking myself in the balls?  Can it be changed in post-production somehow?

Keep up the good work, its becoming essential viewing when the wife isn't about.
    Thanks - i do love editing. I can't believe I get to do it for a living, especially as I am not trained.

Heres the kit list - I'm happy to talk on WhatsApp if you need any more info or if there's anything I can help you with @JohnBoyUK  - you were supportive to me a year or so back, I don't forget that shit. Just drop me a DM. I don't know much about sound mixing but you can look at this link for some tips (on Final Cut at least) - 

Panasonic GH4 x 3
    Panasonic GH5 (shooting at 50fps)
    Ninja V (for the GH5)
    Ronin-SC
    GoPro Hero 7 x 4 (one in each goal corner)
    GoPro 8 (dressing room)
    Mavic 2 Pro drone
    Zoom F1 x 4 (just set them recording and hope the batteries don't fall out)

Tons of other bits and pieces too but that's the main camera set up. Usually there's two of us filming so I have to look after 4-6 cameras! Although I am trying to take a step back from being public about what I personally do - people have started talking to me on social and in public as if they know me, and it's weird as fuck and I don't think I like it!! 
  • Thus has completely passed me by before, will have to give it a watch!  Any recommendations for which order to go in/which team first?
    If I may be so bold, I would suggest:

Charlwood S1 and S2.
    Dorking S1
    Holland S1
    Dorking S2

The Charlwood series were immense so I’d start there from Ep 1 and watch Dorking from the start alongside it and then Holland after you finish Charlwood

i guess there’s quite the back catalogue now but trust me when you’re a couple episodes in you won’t want to stop watching
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Forget anything on netflix , this is the first thing i look out for every week. 

Indeed - Marc had a lot of advice for Barks. He saw it all coming a mile off. Big difference is that Holland's players don't care about progressing whereas the DW players are on the right path to get into pro football.   

I don't know much about the money at DW but I think the players are probably well looked after, and with it being a club on the up, they know they have to stay in line. He is absolutely ruthless. He has no qualms about dumping players if they don't do what he wants (they're had five goalkeepers this season alone!). He might be a park manager but his record - and ability to adapt - are undeniable. 

I can’t get my head around why the Holland players didn’t want to progress. Clearly a great opportunity for them and turning up to training clearly isn’t a massive ask.
  • edited January 2022
    You've made a remark in a recent commentary about the mystery of how Marc White can afford to own and run a club. How he made his money may not be clear, but you can see exactly why he has been successful - a very driven and ambitious bloke.

Brilliant series, @jimmy 85, really look forward to them on a Sunday evening before listening to the charltonlive podcast, of course
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:
    Thus has completely passed me by before, will have to give it a watch!  Any recommendations for which order to go in/which team first?
    If I may be so bold, I would suggest:

Charlwood S1 and S2.
    Dorking S1
    Holland S1
    Dorking S2

That's great, cheers.  
  • I had a drink with some of the Holland Sports lads over Christmas, Jimmy.

Might be one for the inbox but I don’t think you're on a few of their Christmas card lists after your final game commentary!

Also randomly saw Mark at Godstone Farm yesterday. Wasn’t the best time to say hello unfortunately as his daughter had just tripped and he was sorting that.

Hoping wherever Barks and Mike end up you can follow them. Holland was always going to be a tough gig for them.
  • edited January 2022
    Joe being poor in front of goal is an understatement. He looks great on the ball and has good technique but put a goal in front of him and he goes to pieces . There is no way that man is a striker 
  • Hahaha. Love it "JiMMy 85" keep doing your work mate, it’s brilliant. 

See you soon I’m sure. 

I’ll be sure to be on top form come the 22nd at Holland away 
  • I'll echo what I've already said, these videos are wonderful. Big difference between these and the others I've seen for clubs that record their games is the quality of the camerawork, the angles, sound, commentary is all top end on your part 

Gutted for Barks and Mike as they are clearly two very decent men who care, and in Barks' case someone who has taken the tme to properly understand the game and what works at what level 
  • Had an interesting day today thanks to last night's Tweet/ TikTok. I'm keen to get feedback from anyone on here who is willing to talk about it. 

I posted a video from this weekend's episode of Marc (Dorking manager/ owner) giving the linesman a bit of stick for asking a sub to sort his socks out. I thought the whole thing was terribly amusing, he wasn't being very serious and I think the lino laughed at one point. Didn't even occur to me that the refereeing guild would get upset. But they are! 

So rather than just take the views of the polarised on Twitter, I'm wondering if anyone here thinks that the treatment of officials on BoA is unfair. Are we harsh on them? Is Marc harsh on them, and by extension us? I might have been a bit naive on this point. I've always been as positive as possible in terms of trying to interview them and not undermining their decisions (unless they are horrendous). 

Here's the Tweet in question. 

• Managed to finish Charlwood season 1. Excellent stuff. Couldn't stop laughing at the fella turning up feeling a bit "under the weather", Lippet was it? Barks' reaction is classic...."bang some lucozade, bang some water, you'll be fine mate" haha as if managing isn't difficult enough without having to deal with hungover players! The effort these guys put in to get these games on is unreal tbh.
  • I think Marc does go way over the top with Officials as did Barks sometimes  . Marc was having a real go at a linesman a few episodes ago and I felt sorry for him . I sometimes wonder how managers get away with the way they talk to officials. If it was me I’d be dishing out red cards all the time . Having said that , it’s thoroughly entertaining so don’t stop ! 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Had an interesting day today thanks to last night's Tweet/ TikTok. I'm keen to get feedback from anyone on here who is willing to talk about it. 

I posted a video from this weekend's episode of Marc (Dorking manager/ owner) giving the linesman a bit of stick for asking a sub to sort his socks out. I thought the whole thing was terribly amusing, he wasn't being very serious and I think the lino laughed at one point. Didn't even occur to me that the refereeing guild would get upset. But they are! 

So rather than just take the views of the polarised on Twitter, I'm wondering if anyone here thinks that the treatment of officials on BoA is unfair. Are we harsh on them? Is Marc harsh on them, and by extension us? I might have been a bit naive on this point. I've always been as positive as possible in terms of trying to interview them and not undermining their decisions (unless they are horrendous). 

Here's the Tweet in question. 

I don’t get what they’re upset about? It was a bit petty from the lino but that’s it? 

There have been some shocking decisions in some of Barks games at a lower level but can’t really think of a time you’ve been that scathing of them - just taking the piss. Same as Sky Sports commentators questioning ridiculous decisions
  • Sponsored links:

• Marc is a different kettle of fish to Barks! 

For context when I played I never opened my mouth to referees, mainly because I didn't see the point as they wouldn't change their minds but also because it would invariably cost me money or doing it to the wrong referee (Geoff Ford, anyone who has played Rochester and District will attest) it would affect the whole team as he would just send you off and I had an appreciation that without the referees we had no football 

When I had my stint managing that changed enormously, you see a different game and whilst my problem was normally with whatever idiot the opposition had got to run the line who was either totally incapable of keeping up with play, didn't know the rules or worse would blatantly cheat but the referees got a lot of noise from me telling them when they missed things, questioning them but never abusing them. 

When I have reffed games I've been ruthless with managers and especially parents not just for gobbing off at me but for telling their kids to kick someone (at under 12s ffs) or generally being unpleasant so I was a bit of a hypocrite. Dont know, its a hard job and I genuinely do not understand why anyone would choose to put themselves through it what I do know is I've always appreciated good referees 
  • I filmed some promo stuff for a soccer school in Purley a few months back, and it opened my eyes to what parents can get like. I had heard about it, but seeing it in person was something else. An under 7s game nearly got called off because the away side thought the home side were cheating and the ref was letting them. It was insane. They got aggressive and it's only when they noticed me filming that they piped down. Under fucking 7s. The kids were just happy to be kicking it about, none of them knew how to take a throw-in and it wasn't even as though there was a league or anything - yet the parents were acting like it was a cup final. The poor ref was just some bloke hired in. 

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I do think the referees on Twitter have gone a bit overboard. We try to interview any refs that we can and give them a platform. We just tend to run out of time - by the time Marc has finished talking post-match they've gone home! 
  • Have it pretty much every week at my sons U15s. Some of the parents are bloody disgusting and the cheating that goes on with the lino's is unreal. Feel sorry for the refs who are giving up their own time for very little gain and sometimes doing two or three games in a day. Had one bloke accuse me of being a cheat and employing the ref (I'm just a dad watching his son ffs), a mum try to square up to me after her son had punched one of our players, opposition parents verbally abusing our boys right in their faces and countless other incidents this season. Drives me mad, but sometimes you have to just laugh it off and tell the boys to get used to it if they want to play at any decent level lol
  • I'm going up to watch Dorking this Saturday. I managed to miss this the first time you posted but i'm absolutely hooked now! Just voted
  • I'm going up to watch Dorking this Saturday. I managed to miss this the first time you posted but i'm absolutely hooked now! Just voted
    Oooh ! Look out for our son & grandkids who stand close to the dugout, I believe. Perhaps you'd say hello.

6ft+ dark haired son, Tim with Chloe & Louis ( 9 & 14) also very dark. 

And from the kids, I understand the apple doesn't fall far from the tree (Tim) where loud shouting etc is concerned....
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Looks like we could get ourselves in contention for an award - if you don't mind voting for us in any category you see fit I would be very grateful! 

https://nonleaguebible.weebly.com/nlbible-awards.html

Which category, please ? 
    Me and a work colleague who's also loves the show are planning on going to the last home game of the season on Bank Holiday Monday against Dulwich Hamlet . It will hopefully be the day they lift the league trophy.  We are both closet Dorking fans now !
    Say hello if you see me wandering around with the handheld mate. Can’t usually stop for long but would be great to say hello! 
  • As for category - best YouTube or best content creator would be great! Feel free to go for multiple! Just not small business - that’s the category I ended up in for the Football Content Awards and I lost to a kid who Tweets news stories!