Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is anyone else not fussed about Englands progress in the euros?

For some reason over the last few years i've just been bothered about Englands progress in the euros/world cup.

I still watch them for the entertainment aspect but the feeling of wanting to win like when i watch Charlton just isn't there when watching England. I think the last time I was that interested was when we got knocked out to Germany and Lampard had that goal disallowed.
Anyone else or am i just a weirdo, i'm 32.

Comments

• I just watch it for the entertainment and am not unduly upset if we fail. The last time I really got upset was 1970.

• no, I'm not really bothered about how England do. Why I'm not sure but probably due to 50 years of being let down time and time again by underperforming highly paid players who a lot of the time don't look like they give a toss. And I've always said if I had the choice of England say winning these Euros or Charlton taking a point in the first game of the season then I'd take the point all day long.
  • I dont get too upset when we lose, nor do I overly go bonkers like I do when England score compared to Charlton.

Certainly enjoy watching England play though, cant ever be bothered to think that they SHOULD be getting to this stage of the competition or that stage of it - If they get to the Semi-Finals then great, if they dont, well they dont
  • I dont get too upset when we lose, nor do I overly go bonkers like I do when England score compared to Charlton.

Certainly enjoy watching England play though, cant ever be bothered to think that they SHOULD be getting to this stage of the competition or that stage of it - If they get to the Semi-Finals then great, if they dont, well they dont
    I hate Charlton losing but with England each tournament seems to follow the same pattern. Hype outweighs reality.
  • edited June 2021
    I'll admit there has been a little apathy from me in previous tournaments but I've still wanted us to perform well.

I think this is one where I really want us to show what we can do. We've always been told how much better other countries are technically (and still are to a degree) but we're starting to get some real talent coming through. There are still better teams than us at this tournament (France etc) but on paper there arent many of them. There is no reason we couldn't go all the way as its not always the very best team that wins it, as proved by Portugal in 2016. I'll be cheering us on and will only be disappointed if we don't go out and play to our strengths with attacking players.  Although that's a possibility judging by Southgate's selections!
  • edited June 2021
    I just watch it for the entertainment and am not unduly upset if we fail. The last time I really got upset was 1970.

I was upset in 1970 too - but probably more so in 1990.
  • edited June 2021
    bobmunro said:
    I just watch it for the entertainment and am not unduly upset if we fail. The last time I really got upset was 1970.

I was upset in 1970 too - but probably more so in 1990.
    It took you four years to get over the Battle of Hastings? 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    Haven't watched premier league football for a while now so don't really know who's good and who's not. I've heard most of the squad are right backs?
    Will watch but not overly fussed. 
  • The problem that i find is that i rarely like the players or the managers who represent England. 

I don't get particularly upset when we inevitably lose to a team who are better than us. (Iceland game aside. we were an embarrassment and none of those players should of been allowed to return home) though i was a bit upset after losing to Argentina in 98. Thought that would be our year. 

since 98 my feeling towards the team had drained. Don't get me wrong as soon as i see a glimmer of hope that maybe just maybe we could do it i'll be out on the streets like eveybody else. 
  • edited June 2021
    The last WC was the hardest since that 2002/2004/2006 era for me. Too much mediocrity in the years in between had always tempered expectations. 

Taking the lead in that semi final three years ago finally had me believing something might happen for us and you know the rest.

Will I care about this summer’s progress? Yes, at least a bit to begin with. How invested will I be? More so as each round passes.
  • I'd like to see us go far playing well but zero expectations. Just enjoy the journey for me.
  • Talal said:
    Haven't watched premier league football for a while now so don't really know who's good and who's not. I've heard most of the squad are right backs?
    I think this plays a part. I will watch highlights of some prem games on youtube but unless I'm in a pub or round someone's house who has sky sports then I don't watch prem football so i'm well out of the loop of whos good ect.
  • Yup, feel no affiliation to the national team and it's players. I'm far more interested in how ex Charlton players will get on, and if any of the minnows can cause an upset
  • edited June 2021
    My attention span doesn’t stretch to watching other clubs or the national team. My only interest is CAFC
  • Sponsored links:

• Not as fussed as I would be about Charlton... but summer tournaments can be great, and I'll be pretty emotionally committed I reckon! 
  • edited June 2021
    First time there's been players in the team that I've never heard of... all part of the loss of love for top flight football. Il stick a game on in the background, but I certainly wont be planning my time around them. 
  • Over hyped and never as good as we think we are is how I usually end up feeling, last major tournament I really enjoyed was the WC back in 90.
  • SamB09 said:
    For some reason over the last few years i've just been bothered about Englands progress in the euros/world cup.

I still watch them for the entertainment aspect but the feeling of wanting to win like when i watch Charlton just isn't there when watching England. I think the last time I was that interested was when we got knocked out to Germany and Lampard had that goal disallowed.
    Anyone else or am i just a weirdo, i'm 32.

Snap, 32

The digital age
    Money
    Repetitive crappy media
    Coronovirus
    FIFA - money and ignoring tradition/constantly changing things
    Politics
    Lack of personality

Are factors.

I feel the same. I partially just don't really give a shit about it. I'm not 100% sure what is actually missing.

Heart isn't really in this to be honest, although I'm pretty sure that is going to change soon as kick off happens against Croatia.

It is ridiculous we are 2nd favourites to win this tournament... according to sky bet. Why on earth are we 2nd favourites. We haven't won anything for over 50 years.

I don't know much about the depths of the squad. Lot of names I've never heard of before.

The routine is usually getting knocked out in the QF and feeling hurt by it. Yawn.

I simply don't give a crap about friendlies and qualifiers. 

The FA are useless 
  • Absolutely no interest, I knew the Euros were on this summer & I saw that England played Austria & (I think) Romania & assumed it had started, seems it hasn't so guess they were warm ups. Did check one of the line ups & have to say I hadn't heard of half of the players. I'm going to burn in hell !  :D  
  • Talal said:
    Haven't watched premier league football for a while now so don't really know who's good and who's not. I've heard most of the squad are right backs? left wingers