Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is anyone else not fussed about Englands progress in the euros?

Comments

• Options
    I love Charlton -  it’s ingrained in me. But England always come first for me. 
  • Options
    I am and always will be club over country when it comes to football but you just cant beat the euros and world cup. 2018 was pukka.

Cant wait for friday. It's coming home.
  • Options
    I love the tournaments themselves, will watch as many games as I possibly can, but not fussed about England. With the Copa America on too it's going to be wall to wall football.
  • Options
    For the first time we actually have a likeable team to atoutsiders. Struggling to name any polarising figures at England. Most of the squad are likeable alongside Southgate to the wider audience.
  • Options
    The apathy has clearly become apparent in some English fans due to our constant lack of success and poor performances.
    Win a big tournament here and there and the levels of interest will rise accordingly.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I just watch it for the entertainment and am not unduly upset if we fail. The last time I really got upset was 1970.

I was upset in 1970 too - but probably more so in 1990.
    It took you four years to get over the Battle of Hastings? 
    I was half expecting that - hence I edited the post very, very quickly!!
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    For some reason over the last few years i've just been bothered about Englands progress in the euros/world cup.

I still watch them for the entertainment aspect but the feeling of wanting to win like when i watch Charlton just isn't there when watching England. I think the last time I was that interested was when we got knocked out to Germany and Lampard had that goal disallowed.
    Anyone else or am i just a weirdo, i'm 32.

Weirdo 

• Options
    I find it difficult to identify with England as "my" football team.

Often in these tournaments, I find myself "supporting" one of the underdogs or just a team that have a few players I like for no particular reason.

It would certainly be interesting to investigate why some people are passionate about their nation's team while others are not. Don't think there's anything sinister about it - just interesting!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I always like to see England do well but I've learnt over the years never to expect too much. 
  • Options
    euros dont care so much about, world cup summers always have a special spice in the air, though. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Massively fussed.

Apart from me wanting to see England win a tournament in my lifetime, I’d love for my 21 year old son and all of his mates see us win something. 
  • Options
    Not really bothered about football apart from Charlton obviously. May watch some of the games if there nothing else going on. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Macronate said:
    Massively fussed.

Apart from me wanting to see England win a tournament in my lifetime, I’d love for my 91 year old son and all of his mates see us win something. 
    70 years on ….
  • Options
    I am very bothered although Charlton get my attention all year round when England lose it feels the same. 
  • Options
    A tournament summer is fantastic. 

The only thing that spoils it for me is when the fans/media over hype England. 
    Let it play out And enjoy it

we had a lucky route to semis in Russia, and would be seriously impressive to get that far this time. We are historically a top 10 team so no surprise we often reach quarters and not further. 

Be brave Gareth, let the other teams wonder how they can change THEIR set up to match up with our attacking talent. if they score two we can score three 

COME ON ENGLAND !  

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    A tournament summer is fantastic. 

The only thing that spoils it for me is when the fans/media over hype England. 
    Let it play out And enjoy it

we had a lucky route to semis in Russia, and would be seriously impressive to get that far this time. We are historically a top 10 team so no surprise we often reach quarters and not further. 

Be brave Gareth, let the other teams wonder how they can change THEIR set up to match up with our attacking talent. if they score two we can score three 

COME ON ENGLAND !  

Oh the absolute tosser fans that turn up for these tournaments, particularly if you watch a match in the pub, spouting off even though you know they have only a peripheral interest in football the rest of the year are the worst part of every major tournament.  

None of that choreographed beer throwing this time round, that was horrendous.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    England are very much the Millwall of international Football so I can understand English football fans not wanting to be associated.
  • Options
    England are very much the Millwall of international Football so I can understand English football fans not wanting to be associated.
    Now Now
    Play nicely 😙
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Doesn't make you cool or edgey to not support England either, which seems to be a weird trend on twitter atm. Like all that 'scouse not english' bollocks.
    Exactly, like is something to be proud of.
  • Options

Difficult to disagree with that unfortunately. It's a real shame.

The supporters we had in Russia, the ones that travel to further afield destinations, are generally a credit to this country. Good humoured, respectful to their hosts, and no less likeable than the Irish and Scottish supporters that are always welcomed when they travel abroad.

Unfortunately, whenever we play somewhere closer to home - Portugal, France, Spain etc - the good ones are generally overshadowed by the massive amount of divs that can't handle their drink and like to spend the day before the game standing outside an Irish pub chanting abuse at the locals. 

Nevertheless, I'm well up for this tournament. 

• Options
    You were doing so well there Jean until you got to number three  xx😙