Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton TV - free end of season show Tues 18th May 7pm (p7)

Comments

• sammy391 said:
    Personally believe the best way around it, is to still offer the valley pass/Charlton TV to overseas fans- but whilst keeping the pre and post match chat with curbs still going - just having it played on the big screen and make an event out of the game! 

Instead of music that’s played currently whilst fans wait in the stadium, give them a reason to get in early! Give them something to watch on the concourse and in their seat aka the Charlton TV show! 

Keeps production costs at the same rates whilst getting fans in their seats and included in on the action! 
    What’s the real difference with someone living abroad and someone living in Carlisle ? Not being able to get to games is the same issue. Perhaps in order to get a stream you need to buy a season ticket. Obviously not as much as a season ticket into The Valley but perhaps £15 per match paid in advance. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Continuing valley pass while people can go to games in my opinion will be detrimental to attendances and is therefore a bad idea. Sorry if you live in Yorkshire etc, where you wouldn’t go anyway but thats just tough luck. 
  • sammy391 said:
    Personally believe the best way around it, is to still offer the valley pass/Charlton TV to overseas fans- but whilst keeping the pre and post match chat with curbs still going - just having it played on the big screen and make an event out of the game! 

Instead of music that’s played currently whilst fans wait in the stadium, give them a reason to get in early! Give them something to watch on the concourse and in their seat aka the Charlton TV show! 

Keeps production costs at the same rates whilst getting fans in their seats and included in on the action! 
    What’s the real difference with someone living abroad and someone living in Carlisle ? Not being able to get to games is the same issue. Perhaps in order to get a stream you need to buy a season ticket. Obviously not as much as a season ticket into The Valley but perhaps £15 per match paid in advance. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Interesting idea but I think the genie is out of the bottle now and current consumption demand is on a pay  as you go basis. Particularly  for away games a demand can be satisfied that otherwise would not generate any extra income. 

Society today is time poor with numerous demands on us all and importantly many are now less able to commit to all / as many matches even if they are at the more traditional kick off times. Many people no longer work a traditional 9 to 5. 

If you charge too much you may as well have a Sky subscription and hope the red button service is extended. 

Continue as we are today. It can work I think. 
  • People want more shared revenue in football, but don't realise televising 3pm kick offs will just keep the rich richer. More money for sky, more money for the 'big teams', less money for the locals. Live match streams/broadcasts should be banned at 3pm, as they were before. 
  • clive said:
    all i want is to see a full Valley & as many people as possible follow the team to away matches to try & get the club back up the leagues asap.
    You and me both sir , we can but dream 
  • If people want to watch streams there are ways. Assuming the streams will remain open to international fans, we all know that a number of people have previously used VPNs to access these. It's also common knowledge that Android devices exist wher you can get access to EFL games for a minimal one-off payment. It's also well-known that these are illegal and also can be unreliable.

But, despite not making the play-offs, these are the most exciting times for a Charlton fan for some time. If fans want to be a part of it, the best way is to turn up regularly at The Valley and support the team. And I'm sure most fans that are able will be doing so next season.
  • edited May 2021
    It is incumbent on a well run club to look at the opportunities. Can it be made to work for the benefit of the game? Can it be made to work for the benefit of Charlton? And maybe even more to the point, is it inevitable? If so, all the more reason to make it work for you.

When a certain number of us were young, the only live football on TV was internationals and the FA Cup final. We can't go back there even if we want to and I am sure a number would say it would be better to. We have to look at what is coming and embrace it and manage it as that is how to secure the best outcome for our club. 
  • Charge more if continued.
    Make the wireless commentary separate from the television commentary.
    Sorted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:

And I just don't accept that if Man Utd v Liverpool is on live, Charlton supporters will pay to watch that rather than our own game. That surely is a red herring

I don't think the danger is about losing current fans. It's about the next generation of fans, and those on the fringe.
    Especially for the smaller clubs than ourselves

"Do you fancy watching Stockport this afternoon?"
    "No thanks Dad, I'll be watching City play Aston Villa instead"
  • Croydon said:

And I just don't accept that if Man Utd v Liverpool is on live, Charlton supporters will pay to watch that rather than our own game. That surely is a red herring

I don't think the danger is about losing current fans. It's about the next generation of fans, and those on the fringe.
    Especially for the smaller clubs than ourselves

"Do you fancy watching Stockport this afternoon?"
    "No thanks Dad, I'll be watching City play Aston Villa instead"
    With respect, I don't think for the last 30 years kids growing up in Stockport, Bury, Rochdale have been supporting their local club.
  • Be nice if they kept it for some matches .
  • Another thing for a bit if context. The Sunderland game was where we sold most streams (UK purchases) for us which was 5,795. We have already sold more season tickets than that.  Is the cost setting this up when we are back in the ground going to be justified for even lower numbers than we have had this season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• W can in not be continued with the pre mid and post match shown live at the ground with the commentary also available for those not at the ground ? A reasonable compromise ?
  • Would lose a lot of subscriptions covering costs of course but may be made up for with extra bodies drinking and watching at the ground before and after 
  • I expect the ever popular cahones to lead discussions on what to do with fans that have “deserted “ SE7 over the years. To make matters worse I’ve done it twice and I’m often at the Valley and don’t stay for the game so I’m at least worthy of a good kicking😳😳😳

• I remember the Middlesbrough home game last season. It was the week before lockdown and I was torn. I wanted to go as per usual, but I felt it was not safe. I am grateful I had been watching away games I definitely wouldn't have attended using a VPN as it persuaded me to watch that one via a VPN. 

The point is, it wasn't hard at all to watch games even before lockdown. You buy a good VPN for £3.99 a month and you can buy and watch games. That fact has to be factored in.  I have managed to buy a couple of games for Greg and Terry's commentary when they were not available due to sky transmission with my VPN transporting me to a dark market. Money the club wouldn't have got without a VPN, although to be fair, I only bought the Doncaster away game because I mistakenly thought there would be some sort of pre-match show! 
  • I've long wondered if the future for lower league clubs might be to set the match ticket price at whatever level is required to fill the stadium, and then on top of that charge a premium price for a live stream for anyone who wants to watch it - particularly away supporters. The people in the ground would then be part of the product, helping to enhance its value and in doing so helping to increase sales of the stream.
  • I've absolutely loved it, living abroad it has been so good, ask the in jokes, all the heroes coming through. 

Its been absolutely terrific. 
  • I've long wondered if the future for lower league clubs might be to set the match ticket price at whatever level is required to fill the stadium, and then on top of that charge a premium price for a live stream for anyone who wants to watch it - particularly away supporters. The people in the ground would then be part of the product, helping to enhance its value and in doing so helping to increase sales of the stream.
    I do think that is a possibility if the numbers work and clubs benefit from it.
    I do think that is a possibility if the numbers work and clubs benefit from it.
    Can’t agree with this. It shouldn’t  be more expensive than being at the ground in my opinion. Whilst that would be good value still when more than 1 person watching it wouldn’t be attractive for a single view. It’s a lesser product than in person / at the ground after all. 

The reason it’s popular now is partly price related. 
  • Agree that for those of us living abroad  
    its a great service 
    To fill our stadium at the moment you would regrettably have to pay people to attend.