Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton TV - free end of season show Tues 18th May 7pm (p7)

Comments

• And in the Championship, we could watch Charlton using out sky subscription without a further fee.
    Absolutely spot on.

Do you know that in 2019/20 we were on Sky 17 times (including the red button.) 10 of those games were home ones. 

Should that coverage have been banned too? 
  • The EFL being sold as a package means that Sky get two leagues that they don't really want. Clubs below the championship don't really get a showing.

It would be great if the EFL could put their own streaming service together and do away with Sky to allow all clubs to get decent coverage.
  • I appreciate it is not as simple as this due to contractual complications, but I don't think streaming away games would impact on away support too much. How do you stop home fans using the away fans' stream?

We were a season late to the streaming party originally and I signed onto opponents' I Follow accounts before Valley Pass whilst attending our home games. At the start of this season I got e-mails telling me I had to stick to one account and wouldn't be able to use another. There may have been something about opening up away games in the future behind this.
    I take it you dont do many aways Muttley?
  • I used to do more, but there has to be a balance with family life. On average I pick two or three a season.
  • CAST have simply agreed with the club that we will provide some thoughts / have a discussion regarding streaming in future. Thomas himself said at Bromley Addicks meeting, I believe, that he would like to continue Charlton TV.

We are fully aware of the commercial aspects- it can only be a possibility if structured in a way that makes sense for clubs/EFL, fans and broadcasters. I can envisage something making more sense in L1/2 - where few games are broadcast live so it is potentially an incremental revenue opportunity - than it does in the Championship. 

Feel free to email thoughts to secretary@castrust.org.

PS We have been actively supporting the season ticket campaign and CAST is open to all Charlton fans from Plumstead to Prague or Sevenoaks to Stockholm via Shetland.
    I would exclude Prague if I was you :wink:
  • CAST have simply agreed with the club that we will provide some thoughts / have a discussion regarding streaming in future. Thomas himself said at Bromley Addicks meeting, I believe, that he would like to continue Charlton TV.

We are fully aware of the commercial aspects- it can only be a possibility if structured in a way that makes sense for clubs/EFL, fans and broadcasters. I can envisage something making more sense in L1/2 - where few games are broadcast live so it is potentially an incremental revenue opportunity - than it does in the Championship. 

PS We have been actively supporting the season ticket campaign and CAST is open to all Charlton fans from Plumstead to Prague or Sevenoaks to Stockholm via Shetland.
    Yes, he did say that. And he also looked extremely annoyed when the Chair of the meeting said it might not be possible to do it next season because of the 3.00pm blackout. His response to that was "we'll have to see about changing that then"

He's a highly successful businessman and can see which way the wind is blowing.
    I think that hits the nail on the head. 
  • Sponsored links:

• to desert

(verb)  
    abandon (a person, cause, or organization) in a way considered disloyal or treacherous.

Seriously? @clive         

So, all fans who have moved from south-east London are disloyal in your eyes. We have failed the club. We have all treacherously gone supporting other clubs. 

What if we go to see Charlton three or four games a season still, but a Charlton fan who lives in South-east London only goes to one or two?

What about Charlton fans who live near Charlton who go occasionally to Bromley or Welling, as opposed to those who live elsewhere and don't go to any of their local matches?

• @jimmymelrose I can only assume the bloke is on the wind up ! If not he needs his head checking out. Deserter my asre 

Yes, he did say that. And he also looked extremely annoyed when the Chair of the meeting said it might not be possible to do it next season because of the 3.00pm blackout. His response to that was "we'll have to see about changing that then"

Do you see the likes of Rochdale, Accrington, Cheltenham etc voting for streaming to continue next season?  
  • If it benefits clubs it will happen and if it doesn't it won't. Of course, a forward thinking club may look at ways it could benefit, even if it doesn't already do so. We have a forward thinking owner so it is natural he will do this. And he is the sort of person who will find a way to make it work in the best interests of everybody. Ignoring it and hoping it goes away is not the answer.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    CAST have simply agreed with the club that we will provide some thoughts / have a discussion regarding streaming in future. Thomas himself said at Bromley Addicks meeting, I believe, that he would like to continue Charlton TV.

Do you see the likes of Rochdale, Accrington, Cheltenham etc voting for streaming to continue next season?  
    Why not?

How many fans do you think we will take to Accrington next year, particularly if its played midweek? 400 top?.

How many of our fans do you think would pay £10 to watch a stream? 2/3,000?  Maybe more if we are doing well. 

3,000 buying a stream at £10 (and who knows, the price may go up next year) is worth a lot more than 400 diehards paying £20. 

As I've said, the challenge is to make streaming as profitable as possible. Pretending you can stop it now it has happened will not happen. 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    CAST have simply agreed with the club that we will provide some thoughts / have a discussion regarding streaming in future. Thomas himself said at Bromley Addicks meeting, I believe, that he would like to continue Charlton TV.

Why not?

How many fans do you think we will take to Accrington next year, particularly if its played midweek? 400 top?.

How many of our fans do you think would pay £10 to watch a stream? 2/3,000?  Maybe more if we are doing well. 

3,000 buying a stream at £10 (and who knows, the price may go up next year) is worth a lot more than 400 diehards paying £20. 

As I've said, the challenge is to make streaming as profitable as possible. Pretending you can stop it now it has happened will not happen. 
    The question is how many would pay  £10 but not pay £20 or £25 to stream the game?
  • JohnnyH2 said:

Why not?

So you think we would take 400 to accy midweek if the game was to be streamed.
  • That is a good question. I suppose that level will be tested when things are considered established.
  • clb74 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Why not?

The question is how many would pay  £10 but not pay £20 or £25 to stream the game?
    And that's the 64,000 dollar question. 

I don't know the answer but I'm sure any competent marketing firm could soon come up with a figure. And the answer they will come up with is what people are prepared to pay for a quality product.

Personally, if we are doing well next season I'd quite happily pay more for the standard of coverage we have had this year. (Shouldn't say that in case the marketing guys at the club are reading this!) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Streams only to be made available once the home areas for home games are sold out or the away allocation is also sold out. 

Or you pay exactly what the maximum price of what the home/away ticket is that day.

Overseas fans as you are at present. 

• edited May 2021
    Sandgaard has certainly turned it into a quality product. I was thinking about the Accrington game in that their fans would have paid £10 for a crap camera only.
  • shirty5 said:
    Streams only to be made available once the home areas for home games are sold out or the away allocation is also sold out. 

Or you pay exactly what the maximum price of what the home/away ticket is that day.

I see where you're coming from but totally unworkable now. People will just use a VPN.

More worrying is the expansion of IPTV sticks. I don't have one - wouldn't even know what it was if i saw one! - but you do know that you can pick up coverage of any match on them? If you make it impossible to view a stream legally people who are far more technically savvy than me will do it illegally, thus depriving the club of income.  
  • clb74 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Why not?

And that's the 64,000 dollar question. 

I don't know the answer but I'm sure any competent marketing firm could soon come up with a figure. And the answer they will come up with is what people are prepared to pay for a quality product.

Personally, if we are doing well next season I'd quite happily pay more for the standard of coverage we have had this year. (Shouldn't say that in case the marketing guys at the club are reading this!) 
    For me the problem is even if the club is generating more money , you cant have a decline in the crowds.
  • JohnnyH2 said:

Why not?

Would they look at it from the away supporters perspective, I think they would look at ensuring their already low home gates were not affected further. Wpuod there be much demand from their fans for this product particularly as nearly all clubs use the inferior 1 camera loads ilof adverts product.

It is an interesting debate and you are right we are in a different world than before we went into lockdown. I just at this point cannot see Leagues 1 and 2 voting for this and certainly not at £10 per stream
  • Continuing to allow streams of games post covid lockdown for uk based fans would long term be a disaster for the club and local areas. 

People would get comfortable sitting at home watching the game giving up 2 hours of there Saturday rather than the day going to the game spending money at the bar/shop. 

• JohnnyH2 said:

Why not?

The revenue currently goes to the away team after something like the first 500.

So Accrington would receive 500x£10 =£5K from CAFC fans.
    If 500 fans went at say £20 =£10K plus money spent on food/drink. 
  • If it could be made to work to financially benefit clubs it might happen.
    But currently they are worse off with streams in place of fans.
    I'm surprised people have forgotten the amount of clubs teetering on the brink. 
    It was headline news only a few months ago. 
    I do understand why fans that don't /can't attend many games are keen to be able to watch a stream. 
  • shirty5 said:
    Streams only to be made available once the home areas for home games are sold out or the away allocation is also sold out. 

I see where you're coming from but totally unworkable now. People will just use a VPN.

More worrying is the expansion of IPTV sticks. I don't have one - wouldn't even know what it was if i saw one! - but you do know that you can pick up coverage of any match on them? If you make it impossible to view a stream legally people who are far more technically savvy than me will do it illegally, thus depriving the club of income.  
    Which people were doing long before Covid started. It won’t stop them doing next season especially if they love a pound note