Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover: Whitney v Dolly

Two versions of the same song.

Listen to both without prejudice and say which you prefer and why. No other versions allowed.

The 1974 original by Dolly Parton was written about her professional break up with TV show host Porter Wagoner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKsQR72HY0s

The song was covered by Whitney Houston, cousin of Dionne Warwick, for the 1992 film The Bodyguard and was a huge hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JWTaaS7LdU

Comments

• Not a lover of the song to be honest, but Whitney purely for her unbelievable voice.

Dolly's done alright with royalties from both versions, especially Whitney's!
  • Going with Dolly on this one, but both very good in their own way
  • edited March 2021
    Whitney's version is awful, just overblown.  Dolly's is sublime.
  • Witney all day long.

I love Dolly as a person but country music can get in the bin, it makes my ears bleed 😩
  • Whitney for me. 
  • Can’t stand Whitney, all style no substance.
    Love Dolly.
  • It was written by dolly for linda ronstadt and that's the best version 
  • edited March 2021
    She wrote it in 1973.  It was a ht for Dolly in 1974.  Linda R didn't record it til 1975.
  • I'm a very old romantic and love the song.
    Forgive me Dolly who I think is a smashing person but it's Whitney's version for me.
    Whitney's is a more polished arrangement and that sax is haunting. 
  • edited March 2021
    Dolly for me, beautifully sung.
  • Sponsored links:

• Whitney far too over produced.

The Dollmiester for me.
  • Whitney all day long. 
  • Dolly for me - Whitney murders the song.
  • Good one, this.

Lots of contrasting views and fairly even so far with Dolly in a slight lead.
  • I'd never heard the Dolly original before. On balance I think I prefer it, ironically it sounds more "soulful"
  • I'd never heard the Dolly original before. On balance I think I prefer it, ironically it sounds more "soulful"
    It’s the only song of hers I can actually bare to listen to all the way through.
    But but but country 😩😩😩😩😩
  • This is actually quite tough. Both versions impressive but different enough to warrant comment. I think what tips me in the direction of Dolly Parton is that she wrote the song.
    It’s the only song of hers I can actually bare to listen to all the way through.
    I used to hate country music when I was younger but as I've got older I've really started to appreciate it. I think it's an age thing. 
  • I think the two versions are so different, it's possible to like them both. Having said that, Dolly slightly shades it for me.
  • Just picking up on the general vibe from the H&M thread, if you are a middle aged white man and dislike either Whitney or her version does that make you a racist? (Just kidding!)

Either way, I like Dolly's version better. Seems more heartfelt and meaningful. Subtle. As someone else said, Whitney's version is a bit overblown - although that's understandable as it was the big song from a blockbuster movie. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dolly 
    I used to hate country music when I was younger but as I've got older I've really started to appreciate it. I think it's an age thing. 
    OMG! Don’t let me get any older then 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳
    I think it's far too late for me. I was listening to a bit of Glenn Campbell yesterday. Have a little listen to "Wichita Lineman" - it could turn you! 
    You're missing out. There's a huge range of music in country and bluegrass - we don't get to hear most of it.
  • Dolly all day long.  
  • Witney all day long.

I love Dolly as a person but country music can get in the bin, it makes my ears bleed 😩
    I know what you mean about country music but visiting Nashville a few years ago changed my mind. Hearing country music in the right context makes such a difference. Maybe it's because of countless films I've seen but the music just fits the landscape of the States. Listening to it in Blighty doesn't come close. I agree with Off_It, try Wichita Lineman. Surely you don't hate 'Take me Home, Country Roads?'
  • Witney all day long.

I know what you mean about country music but visiting Nashville a few years ago changed my mind. Hearing country music in the right context makes such a difference. Maybe it's because of countless films I've seen but the music just fits the landscape of the States. Listening to it in Blighty doesn't come close. I agree with Off_It, try Wichita Lineman. Surely you don't hate 'Take me Home, Country Roads?'
    Having moved to Ireland I seem to spend my entire time trying to avoid it.
    They're obsessed with it.
    And Irish country is the very worst 😩😩😩😩
  • Witney all day long.

What about this?

https://youtu.be/98Ow_Jav_eo
  • Witney all day long.

Love a country & Irish band at a wedding
  • Witney all day long.

Love a country & Irish band at a wedding
    I imagine it's a right hoot, "My wife left me, my dog died and the bastard Brits have stolen half my country".