Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cover to Cover: Whitney v Dolly

Comments

• Options
    Witney all day long.

I love Dolly as a person but country music can get in the bin, it makes my ears bleed 😩
    I know what you mean about country music but visiting Nashville a few years ago changed my mind. Hearing country music in the right context makes such a difference. Maybe it's because of countless films I've seen but the music just fits the landscape of the States. Listening to it in Blighty doesn't come close. I agree with Off_It, try Wichita Lineman. Surely you don't hate 'Take me Home, Country Roads?'
    Having moved to Ireland I seem to spend my entire time trying to avoid it.
    They're obsessed with it.
    And Irish country is the very worst 😩😩😩😩
    Love a country & Irish band at a wedding
    Oh dear god, I’ll be having nightmares now 😩😩😩
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Witney all day long.

I love Dolly as a person but country music can get in the bin, it makes my ears bleed 😩
    I know what you mean about country music but visiting Nashville a few years ago changed my mind. Hearing country music in the right context makes such a difference. Maybe it's because of countless films I've seen but the music just fits the landscape of the States. Listening to it in Blighty doesn't come close. I agree with Off_It, try Wichita Lineman. Surely you don't hate 'Take me Home, Country Roads?'
    What about this?

https://youtu.be/98Ow_Jav_eo
    I’m too scared to listen before bed.........I’ll try it in the morning & let you know 🤣🤣
  • Options
    Witney all day long.

Good! Partly makes up for all those offensive images you sent me via email 😂
  • Options
    Witney all day long.

Good! Partly makes up for all those offensive images you sent me via email 😂
    😳 you said you’d keep them to yourself 😳

you brut!
  • Options
    Witney all day long.

What about this?

I’m too scared to listen before bed.........I’ll try it in the morning & let you know 🤣🤣
    Love Gram but he's as much pop/rock as country imo.

Sweetheart of the Rodeo is a good example and a very good LP.

Maybe I'll do a cover to cover of To Love Somebody
  • Options
    Witney all day long.

What about this?

God almighty! What's happening to you, man? Pull yourself together.

Is this one of the nastier side effects of the pandemic?

Bad enough with the missus having Smooth Country set on the radio in her car.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Witney all day long.

What about this?

I was trying to lure him in...
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Witney all day long.

What about this?

While you were handbanging to Purple Zeppelin those of us with taste were listening to Joni and The Band and still are.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Witney all day long.

What about this?

While you were handbanging to Purple Zeppelin those of us with taste were listening to Joni and The Band and still are.

No problem with listening to and loving both!

Oh Joni, my Joni.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not even a close call. Of course it's Dolly. 

"Country" music covers such a wide area, most never go beyond hearing the kind of "Smooth country" Addickted mentions - that's all they will ever hear. In reality the genre is as diverse as rock music. 

Some of it bores me - some of it is among the best music ever made.  

Very true.

Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson - up there with the greats in the Pantheon.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Addickted said:
    Witney all day long.

What about this?

Oh Joni, my Joni.
    Bob, Addickted hates Joni
  • Options
    Interesting challenge. I was expecting to go with Dolly, as my memory of the Whitney version was that it was too overblown, overproduced and too much melismatic phrasing. And I like country*, have been in acts that covered Dolly songs.... but on an honest listen, Dolly's version is great, but I find the backing too schmaltzy. I'd love to hear her do it bluegrass style, there's a time and place for pedal steel and this isn't it.  Whitney's phrasing, and above all, her voice, win out, once I'd listened again. The part where she goes up a gear about two thirds of the way in is spine tingling.
    I think it is a great song and it's good to have two really good versions of it.

* obviously as an awkward English person when I say country, I mean Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Flatt and Scruggs, old timey stuff and certainly not Garth Brooks or that bland Nashville pop sound. 
  • Options
    Witney all day long.

What about this?

I got to 19 seconds, the guitar nearly did me but then some guy came in screeching about a goose..................wtaf? 😩😩😩😩😩😩😩
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Addickted said:
    Witney all day long.

What about this?

Oh Joni, my Joni.
    I never liked him.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Has to be Dolly for me. 

This is mainly because a number of years ago I was persuaded to go to a Karaoke afternoon (yeah, that's right, afternoon!) in some pub in Maidstone. Two girls were butchering the Whitney Houston version to such a degree the management actually pulled the plug as other customers were starting to leave. 
  • Options
    Witney all day long.

What about this?

I got to 19 seconds, the guitar nearly did me but then some guy came in screeching about a goose..................wtaf? 😩😩😩😩😩😩😩
    Skip Bayless No GIF

There's no hope for you.
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    Interesting challenge. I was expecting to go with Dolly, as my memory of the Whitney version was that it was too overblown, overproduced and too much melismatic phrasing. And I like country*, have been in acts that covered Dolly songs.... but on an honest listen, Dolly's version is great, but I find the backing too schmaltzy. I'd love to hear her do it bluegrass style, there's a time and place for pedal steel and this isn't it.  Whitney's phrasing, and above all, her voice, win out, once I'd listened again. The part where she goes up a gear about two thirds of the way in is spine tingling.
    I think it is a great song and it's good to have two really good versions of it.

* obviously as an awkward English person when I say country, I mean Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Flatt and Scruggs, old timey stuff and certainly not Garth Brooks or that bland Nashville pop sound. 
    I think when you write it, you can do what the **** you want...  :D
  • Options
    Whitney for me and the link below is worth a watch if you like the Whitney version, Candy Dulfer on the sax takes it to another level.

Glennis Grace feat. Candy Dulfer - I Will Always Love You - YouTube
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd never heard the Dolly original before. On balance I think I prefer it, ironically it sounds more "soulful"
    It’s the only song of hers I can actually bare to listen to all the way through.
    But but but country 😩😩😩😩😩
    I used to hate country music when I was younger but as I've got older I've really started to appreciate it. I think it's an age thing. 
    OMG! Don’t let me get any older then 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳
    I think he’s saying you’re young.
  • Options
    I'd never heard the Dolly original before. On balance I think I prefer it, ironically it sounds more "soulful"
    It’s the only song of hers I can actually bare to listen to all the way through.
    But but but country 😩😩😩😩😩
    I used to hate country music when I was younger but as I've got older I've really started to appreciate it. I think it's an age thing. 
    OMG! Don’t let me get any older then 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳
    I think he’s saying you’re young.
    I’ll take that all day long 🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Addickted said:
    Witney all day long.

What about this?

Oh Joni, my Joni.
    I never liked him.
    You should know not to listen to the Queen, Led Zep & Rush hating fake news merchant.

Just prefer Janis to Joni.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Addickted said:
    Witney all day long.

What about this?

Oh Joni, my Joni.
    I never liked him.
    You should know not to listen to the Queen, Led Zep & Rush hating fake news merchant.

Just prefer Janis to Joni.
    He hates Led Zep and Rush?

I never liked him.
  • Options
    rananegra said:

I think when you write it, you can do what the **** you want...  :D
    Lol, I like that - tickled me.

Reminded me of that line in The Dambusters when the bloke asks Barnes Wallis why on earth he thinks the RAF would lend him a Wellington bomber for his tests;

"Would it help if you told them I designed it?"
  • Options
    Led Zeppelin are what musical genre anyway?
    I would be surprised if Deep Purple or Motörhead came up with stuff like the Battle of Evermore or the folksy Gallows Pole.
    In my view Led Zeppelin stand to the side of pigeon holing and they were their own drivers in their own musical creative journey.
    I wouldn’t suggest they were to everybody’s musical taste, but as individuals and as a collective they were something very special indeed in my view.
    Incidentally only musical snobs would roundly dismiss a whole category of music as rubbish, like classical or jazz or country or pop. Doesn’t music need to be judged on it’s own merits piece by piece?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I would be surprised if Deep Purple or Motörhead came up with stuff like the Battle of Evermore or the folksy Gallows Pole.
    In my view Led Zeppelin stand to the side of pigeon holing and they were their own drivers in their own musical creative journey.
    I wouldn’t suggest they were to everybody’s musical taste, but as individuals and as a collective they were something very special indeed in my view.
    Incidentally only musical snobs would roundly dismiss a whole category of music as rubbish, like classical or jazz or country or pop. Doesn’t music need to be judged on it’s own merits piece by piece?
    If you're looking for one genre then most definitely rooted in the blues.

But the reality is that they varied their style - heavy rock one track, followed by country/folk - and then followed by pure delta blues. All three and more genres could appear in a single track. 

Page described it as wanting to produce 'light and shade'. 

They were very special in my opinion also - as special as it is possible to be.

Jazz, by the way, can be roundly dismissed as rubbish - unless produced in a home studio.
  • Options
    I agree that what initially united Zeppelin as a band was the common (to them at the time) musical currency of the blues. They soon realised that as a creative foursome they could extend and explore in other musical directions. If Zep have a weakness it would be in terms of 'statements' in lyrics compared to others, mainly the stuff would be about love and loss and bonking, they were even described as 'cock rock' for a while, and in terms of feel, the passion in a lot of their music was intense and sexual. Or it was storytelling in the folk/blues tradition.
    I am not saying they're lyrically weak, but in terms of cultural commentary they were a long way from a masterpiece such as 'Won't Get Fooled Again'. However if you don't want to be lectured to, but enjoy an aesthetic musical experience then few are better than Led Zep.
    I have discovered that Jazz is also great, as is country.
    'This is the way to make a broken heart' by Johnny Cash's daughter Roseanne, is as beautifully crafted a song as anybody could find.
  • Options
    Witney all day long.

What about this?

Skip Bayless No GIF

There's no hope for you.
    I'm with KB on this one, those vocals need euthanising.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Absolutely.  Each and every piece of modern jazz is complete and utter, up itself, bolox.