Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Smart meters

As CharltonLife is the font of all knowledge I thought I'd ask here first.

If you have a smart meter fitted and you change suppliers does the new company carry on using your current smart meter or do you have to have a new one fitted?
Does your old supplier try to charge you for fitting the meter or take it out?
I suppose I'm asking are smart meters now universal just not sure how it works.

Comments

• edited February 2021
    The version 1 smart meters only worked with the company that installed them. The new version 2 smart meters can be used by any supplier. If you have a version 1 the new supplier may upgrade it or just ask you to send meter readings. Ie it becomes a dumb meter.

The supply company will normally install them for free when you switch suppliers
  • Word of caution with the 1st generation smart meters - changing supply company after installation of a 1st gen meter has turned into a monumental arse ache for many many consumers.  Existing meter keeps sending readings to 'old' supply company - ergo old supply company keeps billing consumer even after consumer has switched, is just one example of the monumental shitshow created.
    Take British Gas as an example, they still won't commit to which type of meter they will install.

Question for any gas fitters on here:  current gas meter is in a box on an external wall of the house - traditional style grey metal meter contraption where the gas flow turns the dials - obviously there's no electrical power supply in that meter box - "smart" meter that BG insist we 'absolutely definitely have to have installed, no option' has to have power to be able to send its messages to wherever it sends them, however it does that (mobile phone type comms?) 
    So: How the actual eff is an electronic gadget gonna get electricity when it's outside the house in a box with an effing gas supply - y'know methane, explosively volatile combustible fuel gas?
     Serious question that British Gas refuse to answer, they simply won't engage.
    To my mind - electricity on or off often = spark - even at tiny battery voltages, electricity can make sparks, methane + spark = no more effing house or inhabitants - BG "you have to have a smart meter or you have to be on the mega expensive muppet tariff"
  • I had smart meters fitted by BG couple of years ago, since then I switched to Octopus, I still have the same smart meters, I just use the app to put my meter reading in, each month.
  • Thanks for the replies.
    We had ours fitted in November so I'm guessing that we've got version 2.
  • MrOneLung said:
    There is no possible way a smart meter can save you money

Not the saving money bit just means you don't get estimated bills anymore.
  • I have a SMETS 1 (the older version) and switched from British Gas to EDF. 

First, the price per unit disappeared
    Then a few weeks later, all connectivity to my meters stopped. 

Apparently they are upgrading them to make it so they will work again soon. The letter I got a couple of weeks ago said "by the end of 2020" which was helpful... 

Basically, find out if you have a SMETS 1 or SMETS 2 meter, SMETS 2 is fine. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I had smart meters fitted by BG couple of years ago, since then I switched to Octopus, I still have the same smart meters, I just use the app to put my meter reading in, each month.
    That's kind of encouraging, as far as it goes:
    Who owns the smart meters?
    Who's responsible for their upkeep?
    Where do they get their power?

If you're now submitting your own meter readings, what precisely is the point of those gadgets?
  • edited February 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    They can and do. Our estimates from our provider are always higher than actual. I have stomached a few OTT bills as a result of not having one. Obviously when you eventually submit your readings they come down again, but never a nice surprise.

• Automatic meter readings. You get one meter for gas and one for electricity – they'll usually go where your existing meters are. They then send your usage information automatically to suppliers, so no more scrabbling around in dark cupboards or garages to read them.

• No more estimated bills. As your meters send your usage directly to your supplier, you should only pay for what you use. With a standard meter, you're often charged monthly based on estimated use and you send in a meter reading every few months to get an exact bill.

• In-home display showing usage in pounds and pence. Everyone who gets smart meters will also be offered an 'in-home display' – a real game-changer. It's a small gadget that communicates wirelessly with your smart meters, monitoring what energy you're using and showing you how much it costs, in near real time. It gives readings in pounds and pence, and kilowatt hours (kWh), so it can help you identify where you can cut back.
  • edited February 2021
    We had version 1 meters fitted by (I think) EDF then we moved to Economy Energy (EE). EE specifically told me that they were going to get readings from my smart meters (which they were totally incapable of doing). It was only when our deal with them was close to expiry and they asked for meter readings that this came to light. Cue a long and utterly frustrating battle with them which culminated in me taking the case to the Energy Ombudsman and winning. Even after all that EE were still trying to fuck us around, even after they went bankrupt, when they tried to collect on money they said I owed them despite never having taken any meter readings.

The version 1 meters were a) incapable of being used by anyone other than the company that fitted them and b) didn't actually work at all. I then moved to Bulb who fitted version 2 meters at no cost to me but they still don't actually work so I need to give them meter readings anyway.

TLDR: Just give them a bloody meter reading and don't worry about the so-called smart meters. If British Gas say you have to have them, move supplier.
  • I received a couple of letters from NPower advising my meter was past its sell by date & had to be replaced. I assumed that it would be a smart meter as they had been sending me letters to say they were installing them in my area. (I didn't want one) When I phoned for an appointment they asked if my meter was in or outdoors As it's outdoors they said I can't have a smart meter.
  • I received a couple of letters from NPower advising my meter was past its sell by date & had to be replaced. I assumed that it would be a smart meter as they had been sending me letters to say they were installing them in my area. (I didn't want one) When I phoned for an appointment they asked if my meter was in or outdoors As it's outdoors they said I can't have a smart meter.
    I have an outdoor smart meter in a cabinet. 
  • Smart meters are an utter waste of time - they're certainly not smart.
  • Huskaris said:
    I received a couple of letters from NPower advising my meter was past its sell by date & had to be replaced. I assumed that it would be a smart meter as they had been sending me letters to say they were installing them in my area. (I didn't want one) When I phoned for an appointment they asked if my meter was in or outdoors As it's outdoors they said I can't have a smart meter.
    I have an outdoor smart meter in a cabinet. 
    I'm not bothered as I didn't want a smart meter anyway  :D
    That's kind of encouraging, as far as it goes:
    Who owns the smart meters?
    Who's responsible for their upkeep?
    Where do they get their power?

If you're now submitting your own meter readings, what precisely is the point of those gadgets?
    I only reason I got them in the first place, was that the tariff I was on at the time, was cheaper if you agreed to having smart meters installed. Not sure who owns them, much like the old one when I changed suppliers, the smart meters have internal batteries that send signal (via bluetooth) to the display unit.

All the smart meter does, is show you how gas /electric you have used in any particle time frame. If you are using too much, it replies on you doing something about it.
  • https://youtube.com/watch?v=gYPwrbpAHbk&feature=share

Always a good idea to research things like smart meters. This video has some good links attached, even if some of the concerns seem far fetched they are worth thinking about.

• Sponsored links:

• Word of caution with the 1st generation smart meters - changing supply company after installation of a 1st gen meter has turned into a monumental arse ache for many many consumers.  Existing meter keeps sending readings to 'old' supply company - ergo old supply company keeps billing consumer even after consumer has switched, is just one example of the monumental shitshow created.
    Take British Gas as an example, they still won't commit to which type of meter they will install.

Question for any gas fitters on here:  current gas meter is in a box on an external wall of the house - traditional style grey metal meter contraption where the gas flow turns the dials - obviously there's no electrical power supply in that meter box - "smart" meter that BG insist we 'absolutely definitely have to have installed, no option' has to have power to be able to send its messages to wherever it sends them, however it does that (mobile phone type comms?) 
    So: How the actual eff is an electronic gadget gonna get electricity when it's outside the house in a box with an effing gas supply - y'know methane, explosively volatile combustible fuel gas?
     Serious question that British Gas refuse to answer, they simply won't engage.
    To my mind - electricity on or off often = spark - even at tiny battery voltages, electricity can make sparks, methane + spark = no more effing house or inhabitants - BG "you have to have a smart meter or you have to be on the mega expensive muppet tariff"
    Tell them you're changing supplier.
  • edited February 2021
    seth plum said:
    No reason to have a smart meter.
    It is possible to monitor your energy use yourself.
    Some meters are installed in very awkward to reach places, some are above 6 feet high and some in places like under the cupboard stairs where people have all kinds of stuff in the way of the traditional meter.

Plus you have vulnerable and elderly customers who can't access there meter so there are plenty of good reasons for having a smart meter although I do agree they don't actually save you money. It's having the IHD accessible to people which can help them to change lifestyle habits which ultimately saves them money.
  • Rizzo said:

TLDR: Just give them a bloody meter reading and don't worry about the so-called smart meters. If British Gas say you have to have them, move supplier.
    This.

Just read your own bleddy meter. What's difficult  about writing down a few numbers?
    Go to your online account and send them. 

And if they send you an estimated bill, just read your meter - and they will re-bill you with the reading you gave them.

• bobmunro said:
    MrOneLung said:

Not the saving money bit just means you don't get estimated bills anymore.
    I get an email from Scottish Power every quarter asking to submit my meter reading. I read it, log into my account and enter the details.

No Smart meter, and no estimated bills!
    100% this, who gets estimated bills anymore unless you choose to ignore the communications sent from your energy supplier. Smart meters are a waste of time and save you zippo.
  • seth plum said:
    No reason to have a smart meter.
    It is possible to monitor your energy use yourself.
    Some meters are installed in very awkward to reach places, some are above 6 feet high and some in places like under the cupboard stairs where people have all kinds of stuff in the way of the traditional meter.

Plus you have vulnerable and elderly customers who can't access there meter so there are plenty of good reasons for having a smart meter although I do agree they don't actually save you money. It's having the IHD accessible to people which can help them to change lifestyle habits which ultimately saves them money.
    Okay, good point with elderly and disabled people.

But even if they live on their own, most have a family member, friend or neighbour happy to help them.

• edited February 2021
    The old gas meters are best.

Some 15mm cooper tubing, a couple of Yorkshire fittings, a blow torch and the whole meter by passed.

Image result for by passed gas meter
  • bobmunro said:
    Addickted said:
    Prefer the old style meters where if you put a magnet on the side it slows down the speed of the spinning discs.
    I remember the old pay meters that my mum had when I was a kid - with supplies of two bob bits kept on top of the meter for when it ran out! 

When it was emptied there used to be a rebate and the collector worked it out and left piles of coins on the kitchen table, I always knew my pocket money would be good that week!!
    The only problem was he wouldn't take the Irish coins that we put in.
  • 'They' can learn a lot about your life if you have a smart meter.
    Your habits routines or whatever.
    Personally I think 'they' know enough anyway. Especially as now I've had the Bill Gates jab.