Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Smart meters

124»

Comments

• Options
    I have a smart meter. Didnt want one but needed one. Have taken then the above action. Although it's not switched off, its just chucked under the stairs. I havent looked at it since the 1st day I had it.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Whats wrong with an old bloke coming round twice a year, with a pencil behind his ear and a notepad in his hand, thats what I would like to know!? No corporate spying, less unemployment and I haven't got to lever my fat arse up from the settee every month.And the worlds never been right since the knocker upper stopped coming around i'm always late for work down mill now, and of course most importantly the demise of the "PEANUTS!!" seller on the East Terrace, plus the roads are much more dangerous without that bloke with the flag walking in front of your car......

I wanted that job (meter man) when I retired lol
  • Options
    Smart meters might represent a change, but it is not an advance or something that does any good.
    What might do some good is if people moderated their energy use, and they could do that without smart meters.
  • Options
    The questions about smart meters are:
    What kind of disruption do you have to suffer when they’re installed, and does the householder have to lift a finger in making space and cleaning up before and after installation?
    How long does installation take and do you have power during the process?
    Are they calibrated properly and how can the non technical know they are?
    Are they absolutely and completely reliable in working and accuracy?
    Do they need a power source to work, either battery or mains?
    Does the householder need a device or internet connection?
    What privacy protection is available when the energy companies can record, track and measure aspects of your lifestyle?
    What are the systems of dispute resolution? Do those systems if they exist vary from device type to device type or company to company?
    Can renters overrule landlords on matters of installation?
    What protections are there against cyber attacks?
    Does strong or weak ‘network coverage’ influence anything?
    Do energy suppliers offer exactly the same deals regardless of the make or generation of smart meters? What happens if you switch?

• Options
    edited March 2022
    The question around smart meters for us was:

Will it help us understand our consumption levels and drive us to reduce them?

The answer was/is an overwhelming yes.

FWIW the annual consumption of smart meters is about 1kWh. It costs less than £1 a year to run.
  • Options
    I doubt if many people think that leaving the heating on 24/7 would use less energy that only having it on between 6-11 pm, but possibly for some they might need a smart meter to learn that.
    Personally I don’t believe any upsides of having a smart meter outweigh the downsides.
  • Options
    Nobody has suggested that leaving the heating on 24/7 would use less energy than only having it on between 6 & 11pm. That's a straw man.

Your personal feelings are absolutely fine. Thousands of people that have smart meters and have started to adjust their consumption, realising some degree of savings at a time when energy prices are high, would undoubtedly disgree with you. I'm one such person. They're a great bit of inexpensive kit.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    What kind of disruption do you have to suffer when they’re installed, and does the householder have to lift a finger in making space and cleaning up before and after installation?
    Yes unsurpisingly, you have to make space for the engineer to work. If they make a mess, they'll tidy up. 

Took a few hours to install as my electric and gas meters were outdated. Obviously power cannot be running whilst they are changing the meters. 

They are likely better calibrated than an outdated one is. 

Is anything?

The smart meter display is powered yes, but will be a minuscule amount. 

You don't have to use the device and you do not need an internet connection, but it's 2022

What privacy protection is available when the energy companies can record, track and measure aspects of your lifestyle?
    They can measure your gas and electricity usage... that's it.

What are the systems of dispute resolution? Do those systems if they exist vary from device type to device type or company to company?
    Most meters are now universal. You complain to your energy provider. 

No. They can choose not to use the display device, but it is the landlords choice. 

LOL They're on their own network, don't use your internet. The only data is a code that includes a read of what the new meter reading is, it would all be in a disguised string of data.

Not that I have heard of.

Do energy suppliers offer exactly the same deals regardless of the make or generation of smart meters? What happens if you switch?
    Some will offer free upgrades to a newer one, but the cost of your deal will not change.  
  • Options
    So no real benefit then ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:
    Yes unsurpisingly, you have to make space for the engineer to work. If they make a mess, they'll tidy up. 

Took a few hours to install as my electric and gas meters were outdated. Obviously power cannot be running whilst they are changing the meters. 

They are likely better calibrated than an outdated one is. 

Is anything?

The smart meter display is powered yes, but will be a minuscule amount. 

You don't have to use the device and you do not need an internet connection, but it's 2022

They can measure your gas and electricity usage... that's it.

Most meters are now universal. You complain to your energy provider. 

No. They can choose not to use the display device, but it is the landlords choice. 

LOL They're on their own network, don't use your internet. The only data is a code that includes a read of what the new meter reading is, it would all be in a disguised string of data.

Not that I have heard of.

Some will offer free upgrades to a newer one, but the cost of your deal will not change.  
    So in summary and as is quite obvious to even the person that posed the question we are able to have installed an additional device that is non obtrusive and is designed to encourage you to adapt your consumption for the greater good.

No (direct) cost and very (very) moderate inconvenience whilst installed. No downsides of any importance.

I admire you for answering in the detail you have.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Hi, as I have had two smart meters I have some experience in this. 

Firstly, make sure you have a second generation smart meter...

Being keen on gadgets I had one when they first came out. I was with  British Gas ....

When I changed supplier as I do when better options occur the meter packed up working. 

The next supplier , Green Star could not or did not want to supply a meter .

My present supplier , Octopus supplies 2and generation meter.  This they tell me is transferable. 

Each time I had a smart meter I had new gas and electric meters . The reason is the measurement meters have to be able to link  to the smart meter.

So having two smart meters has cost a good deal of government funding. 

If this strikes you as bad planning because the first generation meter would not transfer then you are not alone. Government screw up comes to mind.  

Whether it actually helps you save money a lot of  is open to conjecture. A better way is a smart mobile temperature regulator you can take into any room and each radiator having a flow regulator is more effective. 

Make sure you get a 2nd generation meter. 

I fund it useful as I can see what I use as I use it and the cost. 

The government is compounding its idiocy by stipulating that companies  must fit these devices and have set targets.  

It is not called the stupid party without good reason.
    Smart meter just on your electric?  Have you had one for gas supply too?

Question for anybody:
    Occurs to me that a smart meter needs a power supply, it's an electronic gadget after all and probably broadcasts on a cellular phone network.
    There's no electricity supply anywhere near the gas main or meter on this property
    Having an electrical gadget with power supply near a gas main seems to be explosively idiotic.
    Am I missing something?
    The smart meter itself does not use a power supply.

What you're thinking of is the IHD in home display which is separate from the meter itself and not even a requirement to have. It's a visual to give you an indication of how much energy and money you're consuming.
    If the smart meter ain't got a power supply, how are its measurements communicated to wherever/however they go?  The "smart" bit needs electricity doesn't it, however tiny?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
     What privacy protection is available when the energy companies can record, track and measure aspects of your lifestyle?”

Peak tin foil stuff right here, as if these companies just guess your usage if you don’t have a smart meter xD
  • Options
    I was thinking about measuring the time you use things, not only the amount.
    A pattern might suggest when you’re at home or when you’re not. Data that can be hacked wouldn’t you say? 
  • Options
    But that data would already been widely available, assuming you have a router at home, which is going to be much, much easier to hack. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Smart readers are good. They do not however save you money though but they save the suppliers money as no more meter readers to employ. The advertising should be banned as misleading. 
    They make you aware of how you're using your gas and electric enabling you to make changes that will save you money. 

The meter is simply a tool 
    But I know how I'm using my gas and electric, I don't need to use something that consumes electricity to tell me this.
    You may know how your using but are you 'aware'

There is a difference which I have noticed.

Before I would leave my phone on charge over night or a few things plugged in that I didn't need plugged in.

But staring at the smart meter screen and seeing it keep ticking over and moving up made me change a few things
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    A pattern might suggest when you’re at home or when you’re not. Data that can be hacked wouldn’t you say? 
    It doesn't know what you're using.

If someone is so intent on robbing you, they'll watch your movements. It's a lot easier to do that than it is to hack all the different energy providers to figure out which one has your data.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Just out of interest, Seth - do you have the internet at home?
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Yes.
    There was far more chance of you being hacked as you typed 'yes' than ever having your electricity usage hacked from a smart meter.
  • Options
    It looks as if the pressure for citizens to accept smart meters does have a dark side after all.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-11457237/Homes-smart-meters-plunged-darkness-REMOTE-CONTROL.html
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Had mine put in a few months ago (both Gas and Electric) - clean and tidy job, and all working great. No more meter reading!

With Octopus who have offered some hour-long saving sessions already and more to come. Only saved a few quid so far but as my Wife said every penny off your bills is a result.  Hopeful that in the future there may be more attractive tariffs available - though with the current state of the market I feel this may be long-term.

I have unplugged the smart display thing as I save where we can and don't want to micromanage/worry anymore!

• Options
    I would interested to hear some examples of what people have done to save money after having smart meters installed. 
    Aren't the actions to save energy use obvious anyway? Be interestede to hear some examples
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    It looks as if the pressure for citizens to accept smart meters does have a dark side after all.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-11457237/Homes-smart-meters-plunged-darkness-REMOTE-CONTROL.html
    Big brother isn't watching you.

Because he can't see you in the dark.
  • Options
    redman said:
    I would interested to hear some examples of what people have done to save money after having smart meters installed. 
    Aren't the actions to save energy use obvious anyway? Be interestede to hear some examples
    Its easy to have things plugged in in various parts of the house and drawing energy without actually using them or being aware of them. If my usage is higher than id expect based of what we are doing at that point in time then I can hunt for whatever my missus has left switched on somewhere and sort it out.

Other ways its helped us. We've worked out that switching the heating off a little earlier in the evening and running the electric blanket for 20 mins before bed can save a significant chunk of cash a day. Using the Ninja foodi instead of oven/hob saves a couple quid for a big meal. Wouldnt be able to calculate the differences and without the smart meter, it puts the savings into perspective and makes the changing habits seem worth it. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:

They way they pressure sold (or tried to), made me stay with my old dial meter.
    Who in their right mind would want someone able to remotely dictate whether your meters on or off.
  • Options
    They also plan on doing something similar with home car chargers.
    Only being fully active in off peak periods
  • Options
    Got one two weeks ago. I've put it off for a while. I work in the industry and know the trouble they've had with them but things have improved over the last year or so.
    My main reason for getting one was to have the portable in home display to show my kids who take showers for days and like leaving every light in the house on, just how much it costs.
    Install was fine. Meters work and I can see everything on the app.... Guess what. The bloody IHD is about as much use as a chocolate teapot at the moment. I've got to wait 11 days before I can get on at them. It was my main reason for getting one!
    I didn't hold much hope when the fella who fitted itsaid the signal to it wasn't great because the meter was in a bit of a poor signal area.
    ...Yeah. The cupboard under the stairs where 99 f****g % of meters are located!
  • Options

Faulty smart meters rise to nearly four million

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz9zqn77ezno