Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Smart meters

Comments

• Huskaris said:k
    Saga Lout said:
    Saga Lout said:
    Was talked into a smart meter two suppliers ago. It hasn't worked since... Despite the current supplier asking for the serial number and assuring me it would work... My conclusion: a waste of time.
    Well, well, well 3rd supplier lucky! I was transferred to Shell Energy last year when my previous supplier went bust and out of the blue I got an email from Shell yesterday saying they'd got the smart meter working!
    Sounds like they might finally be updating the SMETS1 meters. I know a lot of people don't like them but I found it really useful and was disappointed when it stopped working after changing supplier.
    I had SMETS1 for gas and electric from Scottish Power (despite them saying they were SMETS2!!). I moved to Octopus and they have used software and have now taken over the meters. It took months but Old meters can now be taken over. 
  • edited February 2022
    Huskaris said:k
    Saga Lout said:
    Saga Lout said:
    Was talked into a smart meter two suppliers ago. It hasn't worked since... Despite the current supplier asking for the serial number and assuring me it would work... My conclusion: a waste of time.
    Well, well, well 3rd supplier lucky! I was transferred to Shell Energy last year when my previous supplier went bust and out of the blue I got an email from Shell yesterday saying they'd got the smart meter working!
    Sounds like they might finally be updating the SMETS1 meters. I know a lot of people don't like them but I found it really useful and was disappointed when it stopped working after changing supplier.
    I had SMETS1 for gas and electric from Scottish Power (despite them saying they were SMETS2!!). I moved to Octopus and they have used software and have now taken over the meters. It took months but Old meters can now be taken over. 
    Given that everyone is on standard variable tariff now, I would 100% switch to a supplier that could guarantee my smart meter would work.

I am with EDF at the moment, and it still isn't working. Switched from British gas, wondering if it would work if I switched back, can't see anything on it anywhere.
  • edited March 2022
    After a bit of advice as mine got fitted today so its new to me.

So my electricity is on a smart meter, they couldn't do the gas.

And I have been watching the display pretty much all evening.

Anyway my current usage was down at about 70 Watts and without me moving it suddenly jumped to 142 Watts.

Is this normal?
    What could cause this without me moving or anything extra being switched on?

Edit: as I was typing this it dropped back down to 80 so was only in the 140s for about 10 minutes, but still curious as to what may have caused it
  • Fridge or freezer kicking in I'd guess
  • EDF are a bunch of shisters.

After our previous supplier went bust and we got lumbered with a debt of £1,600 on ourba/c from being undercharged, we decided to get a smart meter with EDF who took our a/c over.

1st bill - estimated.

When my wife phoned up, she was told the smart meter wasnt connected and it was a known bug.

Like WTAF.  What is the f*cking point?!
  • EDF Every Day's a Fuck up 
  • The only benefit that I see from a smart meter is that it sends readings to your energy supplier rather than you having to do it.....oh, and it tells you how much gas & electric you've used that day, week, month etc etc.  It doesn't "save" you anything, but it can help you see where & when you are using your gas & electric. 

I'm with British Gas btw. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Guess what - if you turn on the dishwasher the reading on your smart meter goes up. 

If you put a load of washing on, the reading on your meter goes up. 

When they finish running, the reading on your meter goes down 

There is no possible way a smart meter can save you money 
    It's not designed to "save you money" in the way your talking.

Firstly the main point of it and why OVO asked me to get one was so that meter readings are sent direct to them daily, so my bill is more up to date.

Secondly to hub display shows accurate information as to how much you are using so if you look at it and feel the usage is to high switch a few lights of, or a few plugs, won't save a lot but will save a little and that's the savings its designed for, so you can monitor your usage
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    EDF are a bunch of shisters.

After our previous supplier went bust and we got lumbered with a debt of £1,600 on ourba/c from being undercharged, we decided to get a smart meter with EDF who took our a/c over.

1st bill - estimated.

When my wife phoned up, she was told the smart meter wasnt connected and it was a known bug.

Like WTAF.  What is the f*cking point?!
    I had the exact same. W'nkers! 

British Gas keep on about a smart meter for Gas but I wont bother. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I had them installed about 6 weeks ago and I think it’s a good thing. No more having to provide readings (which I know isn’t laborious but with 3 kids it’s easy to forget to do it). I can see exactly what is being used and more importantly so can the wife. If she had it her way the heating would be on 24/7 but now she can see the cost implications with that. 

It’s little changes to our routines that we have made as a direct result of the smart meter. For example we now switch the heating off an hour or two before we go to bed. The house still retains the heat but at least the meter stops. It does make a difference to the bill. I think it’ll be even more important come April and the price hikes.
  • The only benefit that I see from a smart meter is that it sends readings to your energy supplier rather than you having to do it.....oh, and it tells you how much gas & electric you've used that day, week, month etc etc.  It doesn't "save" you anything, but it can help you see where & when you are using your gas & electric. 

Another benefit is that a lot of meters are in awkward places like under the stairs which can be difficult for elderly people to access or they're up in a cupboard over six feet up again making it difficult to read. No more of either of this is a massive benefit too.
  • edited March 2022
    Whats wrong with an old bloke coming round twice a year, with a pencil behind his ear and a notepad in his hand, thats what I would like to know!? No corporate spying, less unemployment and I haven't got to lever my fat arse up from the settee every month.And the worlds never been right since the knocker upper stopped coming around i'm always late for work down mill now, and of course most importantly the demise of the "PEANUTS!!" seller on the East Terrace, plus the roads are much more dangerous without that bloke with the flag walking in front of your car......

• Smart meters are great and are not detrimental to anyone. It enables people to see their consumption and also makes them aware of any potential wastage. Something most are completely unaware of.

Poor people probably get more of a shock when their bill turns up and they see the hike in prices, meaning they'll be unaware of their price-hiked consumption going forward. They'd be far more likely to sit in the cold and dark as a result of this. A smart meter enables everyone to cut their cloth accordingly.

Smart meters are the sensible persons choice.
  • Smart readers are good. They do not however save you money though but they save the suppliers money as no more meter readers to employ. The advertising should be banned as misleading. 

Another benefit is that a lot of meters are in awkward places like under the stairs which can be difficult for elderly people to access or they're up in a cupboard over six feet up again making it difficult to read. No more of either of this is a massive benefit too.
    Yep, mine is about 10ft high in the top corner of my garage. Absolute pain in the arse to read...Can't wait to get a smart meter!
  • Do smart meters run on electricity and does the householder supply it? Does the household have to be connected to the internet?
  • WSS said:
    seth plum said:
    Do smart meters run on electricity and does the householder supply it? Does the household have to be connected to the internet?
    Nope. With every smart meter you get a hamster and a wheel that powers it all.
    Is it the hamster that tracks what time you wash your y fronts? 
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought it might be an everlasting battery powered by solar and a direct connection to a satellite that means you don’t need the internet.
  • Champs85 said:
    I had them installed about 6 weeks ago and I think it’s a good thing. No more having to provide readings (which I know isn’t laborious but with 3 kids it’s easy to forget to do it). I can see exactly what is being used and more importantly so can the wife. If she had it her way the heating would be on 24/7 but now she can see the cost implications with that. 

It’s little changes to our routines that we have made as a direct result of the smart meter. For example we now switch the heating off an hour or two before we go to bed. The house still retains the heat but at least the meter stops. It does make a difference to the bill. I think it’ll be even more important come April and the price hikes.
    Exactly this.

Lets you see or better appreciate what is triggering the activity on the meter and hence your bill. Your choice (no compunction) to make small adjustments if you wish to.

Addresses the previous criticisms of energy companies sitting on your credit balances due to forecast and not exact bills. Clearly this wont be  a threat for anyone going forward to due current market conditions.

No conspiracy theory just a useful application of technology.

• seth plum said:
    I thought it might be an everlasting battery powered by solar and a direct connection to a satellite that means you don’t need the internet.
    You're not far wrong, you don't need the internet.
  • Well went over to Octopus, and have no regrets! Been a year now with no issues, and receive, two £50 credits for referring  family. Some sound energy advice, and applied for a new boiler through one of there partner schemes, apparently at a  greatly reduced amount ( we shall see!). What is refreshing is that normally you can get through pretty quickly, and the staff are both polite, and helpful. My only regret is that I did not leave BG Years ago. I think we are all going to be in for  dramatic price rise's  not only in April, but October as well. Frankly I have no idea what most folk will do.!. Our SMET2 meter, has helped us control the energy usage, and with our Hive that has been a benefit. We also get an advance warning about next months  bill, via email so least you get time to prepare for the payment date.  
  • battery lasts maybe 2 hrs unplugged though!
  • About 10 years ago Mrs Plum got British Gas in to quote for a boiler.
    He said £3200. I looked up the cost of the suggested boiler. About £900.
    So I asked what the other £2300 was for and he said the ‘control panel’ (about £50 retail).
    now two blokes fitting and taking the old one away would be generous to price that at £500.
    So that would be about £1450 for a job they wanted over three grand for.
  • Smart readers are good. They do not however save you money though but they save the suppliers money as no more meter readers to employ. The advertising should be banned as misleading. 
    Not necessarily true, meter readers re-train within the same company to install smart meters and/or electric vehicle charging points.
    They make you aware of how you're using your gas and electric enabling you to make changes that will save you money. 

The meter is simply a tool 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Smart readers are good. They do not however save you money though but they save the suppliers money as no more meter readers to employ. The advertising should be banned as misleading. 
    They make you aware of how you're using your gas and electric enabling you to make changes that will save you money. 

But I know how I'm using my gas and electric, I don't need to use something that consumes electricity to tell me this.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Smart readers are good. They do not however save you money though but they save the suppliers money as no more meter readers to employ. The advertising should be banned as misleading. 

But I know how I'm using my gas and electric, I don't need to use something that consumes electricity to tell me this.
    You actually do though.... It's not as simple as "heater on, heater off" it is a case of seeing how different things you do effect your daily price. It actually shows the impact of you turning down the heating by a degree, or reducing the flow temperature through your radiators.

On a side note, I never understand people who are so anti smart meters, although there is always a common theme with people who reject change and advances, if it were up to people like that we would still be living in caves and hitting each other with sticks. 

Worst case scenario, unplug the monitor and just be grateful that you don't ever have to submit readings.