Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bands/Artists you never got to see.

edited November 2020 in Not Sports Related
I'm in a fortunate situation where I have seen most of my favourite bands or solo artists. However, a lot were dead, long split up or had simply disbanded by the time I was either old enough to go to gigs or had discovered them. A couple on the list I could have seen, but at the time turned the opportunity down. Who would play your imagery festival?

Pink Floyd
The La's
George Harrison
The Clash
Neural Milk Hotel
The Who (with Keith Moon)
The Kinks
Queen (with Freddie)
Aztec Camera
Radiohead (pre 2000)
Pulp
T-Rex
Lou Reed
The Wailers

Comments

• The Clash
    The Kinks
    Queen (with Freddie)
    Aztec Camera

Saw all of these, all of these were great other than obviously Queen.

Never saw and wish I had:
    Velvet underground (did see Lou Reed)
    The Band
    The Wailers

• Johnny Cash
    Cream
    Small Faces
    Sweet(70s version)
    David Bowie
    Marvin Gaye

• The Clash
    The Kinks
    Queen (with Freddie)
    Aztec Camera

The Band
    The Wailers

Lucky you, I've updated my list with a couple i stole from yours. I love Nico, but i love Transformer more.

What is it with your hatred of Queen? Is it Brian May's hair?
  • PopIcon said:
    The Clash
    The Kinks
    Queen (with Freddie)
    Aztec Camera

The Band
    The Wailers

Lucky you, I've updated my list with a couple i stole from yours. I love Nico, but i love Transformer more.

His hair is the least offensive part of that band.

Freddie OTT singing and stage act, his terrible voice and lyrics, the way they'd ripped off other bands (Chic Le Freak = another one bites the dust, Bo Rap (sic) being the most pretentious song ever that makes the also terrible Stairway to Heaven seems almost bearable,  that their many fans struggled to see that FM was both Asian and gay, both of which I'm fine with but they often were not (talking 1970/80s here), that it winds up so many people when you say they are crap is a bonus but they truly are crap  😁
  • PopIcon said:
    The Clash
    The Kinks
    Queen (with Freddie)
    Aztec Camera

The Band
    The Wailers

Freddie OTT singing and stage act, his terrible voice and lyrics, the way they'd ripped off other bands (Chic Le Freak = another one bites the dust, Bo Rap (sic) being the most pretentious song ever that makes the also terrible Stairway to Heaven seems almost bearable,  that their many fans struggled to see that FM was both Asian and gay, both of which I'm fine with but they often were not (talking 1970/80s here), that it winds up so many people when you say they are crap is a bonus but they truly are crap  😁
    Phew @PopIcon.

Lucky you didn't say anything about the dirty knife.
  • PopIcon said:
    The Clash
    The Kinks
    Queen (with Freddie)
    Aztec Camera

The Band
    The Wailers

Your dislike of Queen is pretty intense - I can only achieve this with U2, Genesis and Coldplay.

• Bill Haley. Had tickets to the tour that was cancelled due to illness, he died soon after. 

Literally hundreds that split or were dead before I was old enough to see them.   
  • Led Zeppelin.  I was obsessed with them as a teenager and a so called friend told me he could get tickets for their Earls Court Arena gigs in 1975...lying little toerag.
  • Led Zeppelin.  I was obsessed with them as a teenager and a so called friend told me he could get tickets for their Earls Court Arena gigs in 1975...lying little toerag.
    It was brilliant  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
  • edited November 2020
    Led Zeppelin.  I was obsessed with them as a teenager and a so called friend told me he could get tickets for their Earls Court Arena gigs in 1975...lying little toerag.
    Seconded on Zep. At least in Prague I got to see both Page and Plant together and Plant a couple of years earlier when he went solo.

And Traffic. I was a bit too young to catch them. Welcome to the Canteen is a fantastic live album. That version of Gimme Some Lovin’ , I still play. It’s wild, the band sounds like they are all off their tits, Winwood just about manages to hold it together. Just. Wonderful.
  • edited November 2020
    Those I've never seen live that I would have given anything to see:

The Beatles
    Led Zep (with Bonzo)
    Pink Floyd (with Syd)
    The Who (with Moonie) - edit: I did as a 13 year old
    Small Faces
    Frank Sinatra
    The Rolling Stones (with Brian Jones)

and above all

Bob Marley

• Hank Williams.
  • Ramones
    Soft Cell
    Roxy Music
    Squeeze
  • The Beatles
    Queen
    REM
    Bowie

If could magically see a performance from one of those live again, I would find it very very difficult to decide which, but would probably be Queen with Freddie at the helm, as he was beyond a performer on the stage. His presence and performance at Live Aid all those years ago was an absolute stand out for me.
  • Too young for many of the acts I like now: those I regret not making the effort to see in no particular order

Johnny Cash (actually this is probably my biggest regret, when he reinvented himself after Rick Rubin, he played here and I was too preoccupied with other stuff to sort out seeing him)
    Leonard Cohen
    Bobby Womack (he was due to play at a festival I had tickets for when he died)
    David Bowie 
    Eric Bogle
    Kate Bush
    Dolly Parton
    Old Crow Medicine Show
    firehose

There are almost certainly loads more but I don't really want to dwell on regrets. And obviously for some of them it's not too late, part of the problem is I'm not a fan of very large venues. 

• rananegra said:
    Too young for many of the acts I like now: those I regret not making the effort to see in no particular order

Johnny Cash (actually this is probably my biggest regret, when he reinvented himself after Rick Rubin, he played here and I was too preoccupied with other stuff to sort out seeing him)
    Leonard Cohen
    Bobby Womack (he was due to play at a festival I had tickets for when he died)
    David Bowie 
    Eric Bogle
    Kate Bush
    Dolly Parton
    Old Crow Medicine Show
    firehose

There are almost certainly loads more but I don't really want to dwell on regrets. And obviously for some of them it's not too late, part of the problem is I'm not a fan of very large venues. 

Like you I deeply regret not going to see Johnny Cash when I had the chance - his work was interesting across his career. Amazing work with Rubin.
  • Johnny Cash
    Roy Orbison
    Peter Tosh
    Velvet Underground

• edited November 2020
    Would have loved to see Humble Pie. Saw Steve Marriott at the tramshed in the 80’s and the other 3 original members plus Clem Clemson at the Marriott memorial gig. 

Have been lucky enough to see pretty much all of the bands I’m into but The Who with Moon would have been fantastic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Would have loved to see Humble Pie. Saw Steve Marriott at the tramshed in the 80’s and the other 3 original members plus Clem Clemson at the Marriott memorial gig. 

Have been lucky enough to see pretty much all of the bands I’m into but The Who with Moon would have been fantastic.
    I think Marriott was criminally underrated as a vocalist - never really got the credit he deserved.
  • The Jam 
  • Been lucky enough to see all the bands I'd ever like to see (and many that I wish I hadn't) .....apart from Talking Heads...would dearly have loved to have seen them...  Have 'made do' with David Byrne a couple of times and the man is flipping awesome...
  • Bob Marley and Joy Division are by far the ones I most regret not seeing as in both cases I could have. 
  • Nirvana 
  • edited November 2020
    The Beatles.
    Steely Dan.
    Zeppelin.
    Stevie Nicks.
    Little Feat.
    Camel.
  • edited November 2020
    stonemuse said:
    Johnny Cash
    Roy Orbison
    Peter Tosh
    Velvet Underground

Well I never......I was stadium manager at a Bob Marley gig in Ibiza in June 1978.....I was working for some promoters from London at the time who had put the money in to bring them from Paris at the last minute, as a gig elsewhere in Scandinavia had been cancelled.
    They flew me out a week earlier to set up ticketing outlets and be their stadium manager (Plaza de Toro’s) on the night.
    Having been part of the party who met them at the airport we  loosely set about seeing their needs were met (I won’t go into specifics about that 🤭) and to see if there was anything that they specifically wanted to do.
    Peter Tosh wanted to do a bit of shopping, so I was duly delegated to take him into town and chaperone him and then get him back to their villa.
    It turned out that he had somehow learned that flick knives were legal in Spain and he had his heart set on getting one......nothing else, just a flick knife!
    Well there were some cheapo touristy tat ones available in almost every gift shop, but you could see the quality was very poor.
    After asking around I was told there was a local hunting/fishing type shop, so we went there and eventually tracked down some pucker ones. He was pleased as punch and to my amazement he actually bought three or four!
    Don’t remember too much about him to be honest, other than he was friendly enough and in the short time we were together we got on well.
    Seem to remember he paid in US$.
  • Jimi Hendrix
  • Would have loved to see Humble Pie. Saw Steve Marriott at the tramshed in the 80’s and the other 3 original members plus Clem Clemson at the Marriott memorial gig. 

I think Marriott was criminally underrated as a vocalist - never really got the credit he deserved.

Ask Robert Plant what he thinks of Marriott? Plant was a self-confessed Small Faces groupie and he modeled his vocals on Stevie.
    Small Faces overall, not just Marriott, are the most underrated of the big groups of the 60s - for me The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks and Small Faces are the big five that changed everything.
  • cblock said:
    Jimi Hendrix

One of my very, very, very few claims to fame!