Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bands/Artists you never got to see.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Willie Dixon. 
    Muddy Waters 
    Jimi Hendrix. 
    The Band. 

I’d love to have seen the Beatles doing some of their later stuff live, but I’m pretty sure they never did tour with that material. 

Apart from that, I’ve managed to see most bands I like, but there are some I wish I’d seen earlier in their careers

Hanoi Rocks
    Blondie
    Santana
    Van Halen
    Jefferson Airplane

There are plenty of others I want to see, but they are still touring. At least I hope they are once we get past COVID. 
  • Options
    Mostly the ones that had split up by the time I was old enough to go to gigs.....

The Beatles
    Led Zep
    The Who (with Moon)
    The Doors (with Jim)

I have seen the last 2 - The Doors with Ray & Robbie (can't remember who was lead singer- Eddie Veader ?) and The Who with Zac Starkey on drums (with Joe Strummer as Support act)
  • Options
    I would’ve given anything to see Otis Redding but he sadly passed away five years before I was born.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    cblock said:
    Jimi Hendrix

One of my very, very, very few claims to fame!
     Mine is Bowie  and Frampton!
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    bobmunro said:
    cblock said:
    Jimi Hendrix

Saw him at The Bromel Club (Bromley Court Hotel).
    Sad to say that being a full on  mod ( which the majority of the audience were), I was really into soul and ska at the time I didn’t fully appreciate what I was seeing and hearing....it was the first gig he did in The UK outside of one or two he had done in central London, he had just signed a promotional deal with The Gunnel brothers management/circuit ......dodgy couple of bastards they were. 🤨🤨🤨
    Of course, it wasn’t very long before I and many others realised his immense talent, things changed and we started to take notice.
    Feel a bit guilty about it to be honest.....but I was a devout Geno Washington fan at the time......who, incidentally was also signed up by The Gunnels.
  • Options
    Would have loved to have seen The Sex Pistols with Glen Matlock (first time atound) and X Ray Spex
  • Options
    Queen W/ Freddie Mercury.

Regardless of what nonsense some people will say about them being terrible or Freddie being a ‘terrible singer’, they are regarded as one of the ultimate live bands of the last 50 years. 

Would love to have seen Pink Floyd too.

Being born in 87 meant I missed out on both. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Queen W/ Freddie Mercury.

Regardless of what nonsense some people will say about them being terrible or Freddie being a ‘terrible singer’, they are regarded as one of the ultimate live bands of the last 50 years. 

Would love to have seen Pink Floyd too.

Being born in 87 meant I missed out on both. 
    They were superb mate. Was at Knebworth for their last gig in ‘86 (along with Quo & Big Country) with one on my uncle’s mates. He was a proper rock fan and had been to countless gigs in the 70’s including both Who shows at The Valley, Humble Pie etc and he said that it was one of the best shows he’d seen.

Floyd were great too, saw them on their last tour at Earls Court.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    cblock said:
    Jimi Hendrix

Sad to say that being a full on  mod ( which the majority of the audience were), I was really into soul and ska at the time I didn’t fully appreciate what I was seeing and hearing....it was the first gig he did in The UK outside of one or two he had done in central London, he had just signed a promotional deal with The Gunnel brothers management/circuit ......dodgy couple of bastards they were. 🤨🤨🤨
    Of course, it wasn’t very long before I and many others realised his immense talent, things changed and we started to take notice.
    Feel a bit guilty about it to be honest.....but I was a devout Geno Washington fan at the time......who, incidentally was also signed up by The Gunnels.
    Great that you saw him but not quite right, he played Chislehurst Caves on the 16th December, and the Guildhall Southampton on the 22nd, Hillside club Folkestone, (see my sign inlogo )on the 31st December, stayed at Greatstone, and during the day was at Noel Redding's mothers house, and you saw him at the Bromel club (Bromley court Hotel) on the 4th January,before going to Manchester on the 7th.Folkestone is a little distance from my home in Hythe, he practised at the  Scout hut, and the Youth club, sadly no longer there, as well as the Hillside club in Folkestone, but Noel  was a local lad, and he practised there and knew the venues, he went to the primary school in my road. In normal times I am part of the Hendrix weekend down here, quiet a few locals knew Noel, and I have got to know the Reddings being a keen fan. I never  saw Hendrix, but met Mitch and Noel a few times. The photo is  myself with Linda Eastman's photo when I was in the 6th form at school, always great to hear stories of Jimi, by people who saw him , there is so much bullshit written about the guy, but I am sure he would be cool about it. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    cblock said:
    Jimi Hendrix

Great that you saw him but not quite right, he played Chislehurst Caves on the 16th December, and the Guildhall Southampton on the 22nd, Hillside club Folkestone, (see my sign inlogo )on the 31st December, stayed at Greatstone, and during the day was at Noel Redding's mothers house, and you saw him at the Bromel club (Bromley court Hotel) on the 4th January,before going to Manchester on the 7th.Folkestone is a little distance from my home in Hythe, he practised at the  Scout hut, and the Youth club, sadly no longer there, as well as the Hillside club in Folkestone, but Noel  was a local lad, and he practised there and knew the venues, he went to the primary school in my road. In normal times I am part of the Hendrix weekend down here, quiet a few locals knew Noel, and I have got to know the Reddings being a keen fan. I never  saw Hendrix, but met Mitch and Noel a few times. The photo is  myself with Linda Eastman's photo when I was in the 6th form at school, always great to hear stories of Jimi, by people who saw him , there is so much bullshit written about the guy, but I am sure he would be cool about it. 
    Thanks for putting me right there ken.....maybe it was the first gig he did in London other than a few in The West End......I know it was the first something or another......the Bromel Club was run by Tony Hayes who told me so himself some years later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Galaxie 500
  • Options
    Great to hear what you said about Geno, my friends were always seeing him in Woolwich, I also  got dragged along to quite a few Reggie nights,and Tamla\Soul,  but I dropped the Ben Sherman's and Fred Perry's and sadly some of my friends, as I got into  the Art college scene, and going from the Fox under the Hill, to The Three Tuns in Blackheath. They were all working and had money, (or so it seemed) When I did have money, I was at the Lyceum, and the Marquee to see Rory Gallagher. In those days you could see the Likes of Roxy music, and Free  in Croydon as I went to art college there.   

• Options
    Viola Beach 
    Suede 

• Options
    Having watched bohemian rhapsody tonight I agree on Queen. So many brilliant songs and what a performer Freddie seemed to be. 

Also another one I don’t think I’ve read so far on here: Michael Jackson. For all his demons his music was and always will be legendary. He was a game changer in the music industry. 
  • Options
    Champs85 said:
    Having watched bohemian rhapsody tonight I agree on Queen. So many brilliant songs and what a performer Freddie seemed to be. 

Also another one I don’t think I’ve read so far on here: Michael Jackson. For all his demons his music was and always will be legendary. He was a game changer in the music industry. 
    The Freddie Mercury tribute concert from Wembley Stadium is currently on Sky Arts. 

So many big name artists who paid their respects that night covering Queen songs - George Michael, David Bowie, Elton John, Guns N Roses, Rob Plant, Roger Daltry etc. If the question was "name a single gig you with you'd attended", then it would be right up there for me. 
  • Options
    Has anyone seen The Verve live, especially up to and including the Urban Hymns time? I loved that album. But they seemed to be a problematic band. I watched their Glastonbury reform headline (2008?) and you could see and feel the tension. 
  • Options
    Has anyone seen The Verve live, especially up to and including the Urban Hymns time? I loved that album. But they seemed to be a problematic band. I watched their Glastonbury reform headline (2008?) and you could see and feel the tension. 
    Yeah seen them a few times only ever since Urban Hymns, load of us went up to Wigan to see them years back. Saw them at the O2 in what must have been 2008 and they were fine didnt sense any tension at all 

Richard Ashcroft will be missed when he is gone
  • Options
    I would’ve loved to have seen Fela Kuti.
  • Options
    Again, would have loved to have seen The Clash but I saw Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros three times.
  • Options
    I saw the Verve at the O2 - I'm not a huge fan but they were excellent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Steely Dan
    The Jam
    Tears for Fears
  • Options
    Sex Pistols
    The Clash 
    The Jam
    Nirvana
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Champs85 said:

Well said. He is also the only singer to be inducted into The Dance Hall Of Fame.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Yeah seen them a few times only ever since Urban Hymns, load of us went up to Wigan to see them years back. Saw them at the O2 in what must have been 2008 and they were fine didnt sense any tension at all 

Richard Ashcroft will be missed when he is gone
    I agree, have most of his solo albums and there's a lot of good stuff there. The personal issues within the Verve are pretty well documented though, and I guess it means I'll never get to see them.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Those I've never seen live that I would have given anything to see:

The Beatles
    Led Zep (with Bonzo)
    Pink Floyd (with Syd)
    The Who (with Moonie) - edit: I did as a 13 year old
    Small Faces
    Frank Sinatra
    The Rolling Stones (with Brian Jones)

and above all

Bob Marley

Bob is the only act I regret never having had the chance to see.

Was fortunate enough to see Queen live and, as always, they were amazing.
  • Options
    AC/DC with Bon Scott would’ve been decent.
  • Options
    His death in East Dulwich was such a sad and bizarre way to go. 
  • Options
    Syd's Pink Floyd - shoulda gone to the 100 club.
  • Options

Dying alone in a Renault 5, choking on my own vomit on a cold February night is not a way I’d like to end my days on this Earth.
  • Options

Dying alone in a Renault 5, choking on my own vomit on a cold February night is not a way I’d like to end my days on this Earth.
    Desperately sad - I was really shocked by it at the time.