Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Masters 2020 Thread

Ok, so I am doing my research today and will post later.    If you read the general betting thread, I've had a bit of decent form and am spending quite a bit of time on golf bets... some players during COVID times have dropped off a cliff (McIlroy) and definitely younger players are not as intimidated with less crowds (Morikawa, US PGA in particular).

Sky Bet is paying 1/5 odds for the TOP 11.   I will take a look at other offers and post up also by the end of today.

Early thoughts - Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka and Tyrell Hatton all finished this weekend strongly and Bryson DeChambeau played a practise round at August over the weekend and had nothing longer than an EIGHT IRON in to any hole.   He MIGHT brutalise the course and particulary the par 5s.

Anyway, thoughts to come and good luck all!

Comments

• Watched Tyrrell Hatton quite a bit recently.
    Think his game will suit.
    That's Where my money's going.
  • Koepka and Adam Scott both e/w
  • Dustin Johnson for me . 
  • Koepka and Adam Scott both e/w
    Scott would have been a choice for me up until Saturday back nine where he fell apart and then yesterday he was very average.   
  • DJ,Koepka and an e/w on Rory. McIlroy has the game to win at Augusta but i think he's so desperate to that it just stops him from doing so if that makes sense? I think its a mental thing from when he blew up in the final round all those years ago and maybe that was,in his mind,his biggest chance of winning,who knows. Hope im wrong as i would love him to do it.
  • I fancy Jon Rahm, but it seems like there's a lot of very good players with very good chances this year. Expecting to see Hatton, Schauffele, Thomas, Cantlay all there or thereabouts come Sunday. Would love to add Rory to that list as well but is not playing well since the return. 

DJ is in a seriously good run of form, but I just don't fancy him at Majors. He'll no doubt prove that wrong at some point soon though.

As much as Bryson is fascinating, I really hope he doesn't manage to completely overpower it and run away with it. 
  • Matsuyama, Finau and Fleetwood all E/W 
    DJ to win it I reckon
  • Will be interesting to see how the course is set up & if the greens & fairways are the same in November as they are in early April. It would be different it it was a UK course  - playing a links course in July is completely different to one in November, but I have no idea if that is the same for Georgia.

Reed looked good last month when he was over here & you can never look past Dustin Johnson or Woods. DeChambeau may be able to blast it 330 yards off the tee but playing Augusta you have to be cute on the greens & if you miss on the wrong side you are looking at bogeys galore.
  • edited November 2020
    Always too much hype around DJ and Brooks ahead of a major, you can probably lump Bryson in that group too after the way he performed at Winged Foot. Can’t see the bookies offering any value in their prices. They are automatically off my shortlist.

Rory, JT or Xander either not in form or getting a reputation for coming close but not being able to seal the win. Won’t be following them either.

Only golfer from the top group I’m struggling to build a case against is Rahm. 11/1 with nine places e/w at William Hill.

Other prices that are interesting to me:

Matsuyama 28/1 8 places at Betfred
    Simpson 33/1 10 places at Paddy/Betfair
    Scheffler 60/1 8 places at Betfred/Bet365
    Fitzpatrick 66/1 8 places at Betfred/Bet365
    Munoz 150/1 11 places at Sky
    Hun-An 225/1 8 places at Bet365 / 200/1 11 places at Sky

With less than 100 golfers and a handful of amateurs/retired ex-winners, I don’t fancy following all seven of them but will do a bit more reading on the above players before I cement a final four/five.

• Sponsored links:

• I have backed for the win, main bet-Matt Woolf, also Koepka and Morikawa
  • Seen a few fair mentions for Hatton so will back him.

Have backed Cantlay so far.
  • Sergio Garcia not playing, Corona virus
  • A lot of people mentioning Hatton but I just can't see it. Dustin looked impressive the weekend and perfect warm up for him. Rahm is solid and will be there or thereabouts but just not sure if he will win. Bryson I can see either tearing the course up or a complete blow out because of Augusta's tricks on and around the greens. Xander is a player I like and think Augusta will suit him.Will go through the field tomorrow and decide where my money is going. Did hear they expect the greens to play as fast as they do in April, will be interesting to see if the course does play differently. 
  • do a comp at work where you pick 1 golfer from 
    uk & ireland
    europe 
    rest of world 
    america
    £20 buy in pot is around 4k minus 150 for 2nd 100 for 3rd and 50 for 4th and 5th

my picks are
    hatton
    molinari
    matuyama
    reed

my bets are

fowler ew - 55/1 - just always back him
    wallace ew - 150/1 
    hatton ew - 22/1
    cantlay ew - 18/1

all 11 places 1/5 odds with skybet
  • I only really bet majors, dip in and out of golf so not really that clued up. 

I have gone for the following:
    Bryan Dechambeau 8/1 Hotshots £10 outright, Hotshots you get £1 every birdie on the first round
    Patrik Reed 28/1 , £5  first round leader, personally i think it will favour a long hitter just a punt really looks reasonable price
    Tony Finau, £2.50 ew 30/1 first round leader, course should suit him and usually starts majors quite well (no facts), used to bet him EW alot before he was more fancied and did ok
    For now, always have half an eye on in play market if i feel someone is due to hit form and good value.
  • I’ve gone for Brooks, DJ, Bryson and Hatton. Bet365 as they had slightly better odds when I made the bet than Skybet did.
  • Ok i have just added 3
    £2.50 ew on rose outright @ 55
    £2 ew on Schneideker  @ 125
    50p ew on Nate Lashley @ 500 - I simply just choose one long odds where i didnt really know much, looked him up looks reasonable. yep a punt but its £1 stake 
  • A lot of people mentioning Hatton but I just can't see it. Dustin looked impressive the weekend and perfect warm up for him. Rahm is solid and will be there or thereabouts but just not sure if he will win. Bryson I can see either tearing the course up or a complete blow out because of Augusta's tricks on and around the greens. Xander is a player I like and think Augusta will suit him.Will go through the field tomorrow and decide where my money is going. Did hear they expect the greens to play as fast as they do in April, will be interesting to see if the course does play differently. 
    Hatton's last few starts ....

WENTWORTH (BMW PGA - Flagship European Tour Event) WON
    CJ CUP 3RD (straight off the plane after BMW)
    ZOZO CHAMPIONSHIP 28th (3rd week in a row of playing golf and straight from UK to US the week before)

HOUSTON (after a week's break) 7th

Most in form European golfer in the world, who's been in the US for three weeks now to acclimatise and is NOW NUMBER NINE IN THE WORLD.....

And you can't see it... oh well.... don't say I didn't say he has a chance....
  • I know the form he is in and it's all about opinions. I just don't believe he has what it takes at the top level. Bit like Monty won many tournaments World wide but not a major. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I know the form he is in and it's all about opinions. I just don't believe he has what it takes at the top level. Bit like Monty won many tournaments World wide but not a major. 
    28/1 1/5th price Top 11.  I didn't believe he had it in him until he won at Wentworth last month.
  • edited November 2020
    Can this be the Masters thread? Betting and non betting? Want somewhere to put this...
  • Can this be the Masters thread? Betting and non betting? Want somewhere to put this...
    I showed that to Golfie Jnr last night. Amazing shot.  
  • Can this be the Masters thread? Betting and non betting? Want somewhere to put this...
    I showed that to Golfie Jnr last night. Amazing shot.  
    It might aswell, no reason to have another thread and more interest. That was ridiculous, never seen anything like it.  I thought at first it might be his bunker shot he did on sky before when he was doing it with a 4 iron to get out of a massive bunker, so much talent!
  • Looked like he thinned it a bit to me 😉
  • I've done Schauffele to win and Casey, Fowler & Kokrak e/w. Going to be interesting to see how a November Masters plays out especially with some rain expected. Good luck to all.
  • Day and Koepka to win. I've been struggling to find much value.

So Mickelson, Schwartzel, Glover, Leishman, Walker, Weir, Olazabel, Mize all to miss the cut is 37/1.

Finau & Kokrak for first round leader.

Bryson to beat Xander and DJ in separate forecasts.

Sounds like a lot of rain is coming tomorrow so there may be some delays.
  • I’m going to be really boring and say I can see the winner coming from this group of players and can’t see any outsiders that have a chance of winning.DeChambeau,Johnson,Rahm,Thomas,McLlroy,Schauffele,Koepka and Matsuyama.But the only three from the above I can’t find any negatives are Johnson,Rahm and Koepka so these are the three I have backed.
  • I’m going to be really boring and say I can see the winner coming from this group of players and can’t see any outsiders that have a chance of winning.DeChambeau,Johnson,Rahm,Thomas,McLlroy,Schauffele,Koepka and Matsuyama.But the only three from the above I can’t find any negatives are Johnson,Rahm and Koepka so these are the three I have backed.
    No Hatton?  ;-)
  • Rain is forecast for all 4 days so may suit the European players more as they are more used to such conditions