Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Masters 2020 Thread

Comments

• We’re the greens as they were yesterday because the weather in the morning or time of year? The joy of the Masters for me is how difficult it is on and around the greens which didn’t look that way yesterday.
    The weather mainly. As Bob says they'll get them quick for the weekend but surely they need to keep them the same as yesterday today for those who haven't finished their rounds. That will mean rounds 1 and 2 played on soft greens. 

Have to wait and see if that is actually the case but huge disadvantage for those yet to finish round 1 if the greens are drastically quicker today
  • We’re the greens as they were yesterday because the weather in the morning or time of year? The joy of the Masters for me is how difficult it is on and around the greens which didn’t look that way yesterday.
    I think it was primarily the downpour.

It is mostly dry for the weekend I believe and they are fanning the greens overnight. Sunday won't be the speed of normal Sunday Augusta greens but will still be fast - and certainly fast enough to give even a single figure club golfer nightmares!
  • Players with 27 holes or so to play today, soft greens the rain, artificial dryers, mud balls, so the stats, time of the year etc make this a much different Masters compared to any other.

I agree that anybody within 5 shots at end of round 2 has a chance.   I wouldn't go much on many things currently, EXCEPT I've backed both Casey and Webb Simpson to finish top 10.  Both 5/4 - one of them should, so I would make money if that happens.   If they both do it, that'll be a tidy upside.

Going to be a fascinating day.   The ones I wished I'd also tipped being JT and Schauffele ....

• Oh Rory...

• ROUND ONE SCORES

Bryson DeChambeau   -2

Matt Wolff (DESPITE BEING A ROOKIE THIS YEAR)           -2

Brooks Koepka  -2

Tyrell Hatton +1 

Ian Poulter  EVEN

Bubba Watson  +2

Dustin Johnson  -7

John Rahm  -4

Tony Finau  -3

Lee Westwood  -4

• Only three players in the past thirty years have won The Masters from being out of the Top Ten after the 1st Round and two of those were Woods and Mickelson.If that trend continues I would count out anyone who has already finished first round and is not four under or better and would then look at players that still are still out on the course.I’ve backed D.Johnson again this morning

Into joint leader... 7 under after his first round
  • edited November 2020
    Well DJ is playing very scary atm, 2 under through three holes in the second round and now has a two shot lead.
  • DJ now -10 with a three shot lead.
  • Bogey on the next hole so he is human after all it turns out.
  • Bogey on the next hole so he is human after all it turns out.
    Another bogey.
    Now 8 under. 
    I still fancy him to win though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cantlay is flying
  • Don't understand why there are no tee times now scheduled until 6:35 our time which means that again quite a lot of the field won't finish tonight which will cause complications with the cut tomorrow morning.
  • Play was suspended yesterday at 5:30pm local time so that'll give them four hours to complete the rounds. Should be enough if they all get a shift on.
  • The last group doesn't go out until 7:52 our time. They will barely get half way round.
  • edited November 2020
    Two tee starts always have to go off in two waves. You can't send the second wave out too soon as you need the first wave all thru 1 & 10. So that's 2.5ish hours for a nine+1 more hole+1hr15 of tee times=4ish hours.

There is 4hr5 between the start of each wave so the first afternoon guys will only be a hole behind the last morning guys once teed off.
  • If they all play at the pace of Cantlay they won’t finish till next. What a faffer. Must drive his playing partners bonkers. 
  • philcafc said:
    The last group doesn't go out until 7:52 our time. They will barely get half way round.
    Fair enough I hadn’t caught that. Still should get two and a half hours in. Not ideal but hopefully enough for the last pair to have played at 13/14 holes...
  • edited November 2020
    Danny Willett steaming up the leaderboard. Five under through 14 holes and now solo 7th.

Not looking so great for Mr Hatton right now, two over par today and three over for the tournament.
  • Absolutely classic Mcilroy. Awful first round, excellent second to get us all excited but probably too far back.

Bryson having another interesting day....Had a little wager for him to miss the cut, mainly as it would be quite funny but now looks like it could happen! 
  • Under 45 minutes until they call it for the day. Last group is only on the 7th hole!
  • Sponsored links:

• DeChambeau showing that there is much more to golf than just being able to hit your driver 350 yards.

Really hope that he misses the cut. Might make him think a bit more about the rest of his game 
  • That's a bit unfair. He was really good around the greens at Winged Foot and deserved his win based on his all around game there. The fact that he has that in him is what made him so scary pre-tournament.
  • edited November 2020
    I just don’t get how he can hit his driver so straight whilst being so twitchy on the tee
  • Doesn’t seem fair to have a 500+ yard par 4
  • Does when you can hit it 350yds!
  • I just don’t get how he can hit his driver so straight whilst being so twitchy on the tee
    Hit his driver straight....?   Not on the 3rd he didn't.......twice.  
  • edited November 2020
    Surprised to see Cameron Smith and Abraham Ancer as long as 28/1 and 37/1 on the exchange.

Not saying they’re nailed on winners but certainly deserve a lot more respect than they are getting. Think it may be a symptom of all the big guns at the top of the market sucking up the money!

Should be closer to 18s or 20s in my book.
  • Poulter at 2 under is going along quite nicely. 
    I'd love him to shoot a 66 or close on Saturday. 

• Come on Patrick!