Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Crowd Trouble at Portsmouth v Southampton (7 fans jailed for combined 12 years)

Comments

• dickplumb said:
    You’re right, but don’t recall us having much agg with them and last time they came to The Valley two years ago I remember thinking their trains and coaches must have left Plymouth around 1993!
    You were not around in the seventy's then. Loads of trouble with Pompey at the Valley and away.
    I remember a game in the 70s when I went to the Lincoln v Portsmouth game (cannot remember why), and after the game a crowd of Pompey fans ran down a narrow street and smashed a lot of house windows on the way. The houses had very little front area so it was easy to throw something at the windows
  • Been mentioned many times, that despite being one of the further trips in the away Calendar in the seventies, Argyle was always one of those that we would take a good firm turnout. They had a reputation and in those days at that level so did we. Xx 
  • Been mentioned many times, that despite being one of the further trips in the away Calendar in the seventies, Argyle was always one of those that we would take a good firm turnout. They had a reputation and in those days at that level so did we. Xx 
    😁😁
  • They hate each other due to a history of Southampton Dockers breaking a dock strike and working at Portsmouth docks, hence why they call Southampton fans Scummers, some say it's an urban myth but mates of mine who are Pompey fans recall stories from their dads & uncles who were dockers and claim it as fact. 
    Similar reason to the ‘rivalry’ of Nottingham Forest and Sheffield United. Miners strike in their case.
    Perhaps if Scargill had held a vote they would have joined the strike.....

always amazed me that Kent along with South Wales had the highest percentage on strike throughout the miners strike 
  • They hate each other due to a history of Southampton Dockers breaking a dock strike and working at Portsmouth docks, hence why they call Southampton fans Scummers, some say it's an urban myth but mates of mine who are Pompey fans recall stories from their dads & uncles who were dockers and claim it as fact. 
    Similar reason to the ‘rivalry’ of Nottingham Forest and Sheffield United. Miners strike in their case.
    Chesterfield v Mansfield ensures all police leave is cancelled.
    Chesterfield v Mansfield ensures all police leave is cancelled.
    Beat me to that one Elfsborg I now live in Chesterfield and that rivalry is fierce. Calmed down a wee bit now that Chesterfield are no longer in the EFL.
    In that case Southampton deserve everything they get.  Can't stand blacklegs.
    Nothing like an urban myth to perpetuate so 'true stories' for dads and uncles.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/portsmouth/news/16115/great-pompey-myths-debunked--no-1-the-origin-of-scummers/page:1/

Portsmouth is a mostly a Royal Naval dock and as such there is no Unionisation.

Indeed, in 1984 when the Southampton dockers went on strike and prevented the cross channel ferries that left from there to France and Spain, the ferry owners transferred the service to the non unionised docks in Portsmouth, who 'stole' the services and have used the routes from Portsmouth ever since.
  • Spanners stole this same strike breaking myth to justify their rivalry with hammers
  • Spanners stole this same strike breaking myth to justify their rivalry with hammers
    Bloody norveners......
    I wonder how many current Saints fans were actually involved in breaking the strike?
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:
    They hate each other due to a history of Southampton Dockers breaking a dock strike and working at Portsmouth docks, hence why they call Southampton fans Scummers, some say it's an urban myth but mates of mine who are Pompey fans recall stories from their dads & uncles who were dockers and claim it as fact. 

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/portsmouth/news/16115/great-pompey-myths-debunked--no-1-the-origin-of-scummers/page:1/

Indeed, in 1984 when the Southampton dockers went on strike and prevented the cross channel ferries that left from there to France and Spain, the ferry owners transferred the service to the non unionised docks in Portsmouth, who 'stole' the services and have used the routes from Portsmouth ever since.
    Interesting read, particularly some of the comments. Portsmouth docks don't come out of that well, despite exferryman's best efforts to justify it all!
  • Addickted said:
    They hate each other due to a history of Southampton Dockers breaking a dock strike and working at Portsmouth docks, hence why they call Southampton fans Scummers, some say it's an urban myth but mates of mine who are Pompey fans recall stories from their dads & uncles who were dockers and claim it as fact. 

What I mainly took away from that article is how appallingly it's written. It looks like the sort of thing a GCSE student would get a 'D' for
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?edufilter=NULL&v=Bl_aevuam8k

This is worth a watch for anyone who is interested in the history of the rivalry. Basically uncovers the majority of the reasons are myths - including the docker strikes.
  • I know when Truro play St Ives, it all tends to kick off. I think a Truro fan called a St Ives fan 'a damn rascal' the last time they played. And, no one forgets when a St Ives threw the match programme at a copper from 25 yards.
  • Clubs like that should be closed down.

At least Truro behaved themselves when they visited us a couple of years back.
  • Not an aficionado on these things, but always thought these were the two non-local clubs we’ve had grumbling with over the years.

Classed them as our riviera version of northerners, and with Bristol probably the three toughest areas south of Birmingham. Must be the docks culture. 
    Correct, Pompey goes way back to the 80’s, Southampton last 20 years
  • DA9 said:
    Not an aficionado on these things, but always thought these were the two non-local clubs we’ve had grumbling with over the years.

Classed them as our riviera version of northerners, and with Bristol probably the three toughest areas south of Birmingham. Must be the docks culture. 
    Looking forward to your post on the pie thread  :D
  • Pompey fans always numerous and noisy, the away at their ground is a total disgrace, Hampshire Constabulary's attitude to visiting supporters even worse, but never had an issue with the pompey fans themselves.
    Saints fans in any sort of number have always been intent on kicking off, even amongst themselves, in my 30 odd years experience.
    Anybody that kicks off at all, in or around football is a worthless scumbag who can't serve long enough inside.  Using football as an excuse just marks you out as a scumbag in a polyester shirt.  Sling em all in the same wing, close the door, turn off the lights and let nature take its course.  Society and the gene pool will benefit for ever.
  • Pompey fans always numerous and noisy, the away at their ground is a total disgrace, Hampshire Constabulary's attitude to visiting supporters even worse, but never had an issue with the pompey fans themselves.
    Saints fans in any sort of number have always been intent on kicking off, even amongst themselves, in my 30 odd years experience.
    Anybody that kicks off at all, in or around football is a worthless scumbag who can't serve long enough inside.  Using football as an excuse just marks you out as a scumbag in a polyester shirt.  Sling em all in the same wing, close the door, turn off the lights and let nature take its course.  Society and the gene pool will benefit for ever.
    Liberal candidate for Floyd Road?
  • Sponsored links:

• DA9 said:
    Not an aficionado on these things, but always thought these were the two non-local clubs we’ve had grumbling with over the years.

Trouble at Pompey and Southampton goes back to the 70s. 
  • stonemuse said:
    DA9 said:

I’m talking more about afkas question over charlton “Hoolie” run ins with them.
    No doubt there was trouble before, as any game has potential for it, no matter who the club, but Pompey trouble rose significantly early to mid 80’s, a near on riot at selhurst in 85/86 at the ship pub in Norwood junction, to golf balls and flare guns in Leicester Square.
    Saints games became more of a hoolie rivalry due to maze hill (although that wasn’t the catalyst, their home fixture in Nov 2001 was) and subsequent incidents at st Mary’s and outside the liberal club after these dates 
    Blimey 
    Indeed. I wouldn’t be seen dead in a polyester shirt.
    Probably because they no longer fit .
    🤣
  • edited October 2020
    stonemuse said:
    DA9 said:

From when I started going (late 60's), probably until we left The Valley, the chief source of problems down there other than certain London clubs, were Pompey and Cardiff. Southampton and Forest used to go in the Covered end and make a pest of themselves as well. This dates back to when people could walk around the ground at will, which seems bizarre now.

I'm not an fan of this stuff particularly, but there was a long running story that when Chelsea came down to Div 2 in the 70's, Plymouth turned up in the shed and were "pwoper norty" - this in the days when pwoper norty was pwoper norty if you see what I mean. Must be all that cider they drink.

Blimey 
    Indeed. I wouldn’t be seen dead in a polyester shirt.
    Probably because they no longer fit .
    🤣
    Yes i must admit my manly chest is now resting on my trousers.

• edited October 2020
    stonemuse said:
    DA9 said:

Pompey goes back to the 60s, my first away game outside of London 1967. It was the day Scotland beat England at Wembley 2-3 & called themselves World Champions. I think it was the first game England lost after winning the world cup.
    Went on Lewis coaches & when we got there I just followed everybody else ( I was on my own) ............... into the Fratton end ! There was already a mob of Charlton there, I don't mean all lads but a mix of people. There was no away end in those days of course & I think in those relatively innocent times people just wanted to stand under cover all together to make more noise cheering the team on. Anyway at some point it kicked off & although I don't think there was that much too it, it continued occasionally throughout the game. It's so long ago & my memory isn't so great but by the end of the game I'm sure there was quite a big gap between the Pompey & us so maybe the police pushed both mobs apart I can't remember. Pompey was always a very popular awayday & we often took good numbers at least in the late 60s early 70s. 1 year in the 70s I'm sure we took 2 football specials & a lot of us went on an earlier train plus loads of coaches, it was a bit mad that day ! There was  nearly always trouble when they came to the Valley. 
  • @charltonbob

I was at that game with my dad and younger brother, we’d gone in a Lewis coach and just followed everyone else into the ground. Being young i didn’t understand about ‘end taking’ but we certainly did. The same happened at Cardiff as well.
  • @charltonbob

I was at that game with my dad and younger brother, we’d gone in a Lewis coach and just followed everyone else into the ground. Being young i didn’t understand about ‘end taking’ but we certainly did. The same happened at Cardiff as well.
    Yes it was certainly an interesting experience for a young bob on his own ............. & we won 2-1, what a day !
  • stonemuse said:
    DA9 said:

From when I started going (late 60's), probably until we left The Valley, the chief source of problems down there other than certain London clubs, were Pompey and Cardiff. Southampton and Forest used to go in the Covered end and make a pest of themselves as well. This dates back to when people could walk around the ground at will, which seems bizarre now.

I'm not an fan of this stuff particularly, but there was a long running story that when Chelsea came down to Div 2 in the 70's, Plymouth turned up in the shed and were "pwoper norty" - this in the days when pwoper norty was pwoper norty if you see what I mean. Must be all that cider they drink.

Funnily enough I don't remember Southampton coming down & causing any problem ever (I don't think they caused a problem at Maze Hill apart from some Charlton getting nicked) until a small group went in the Connie club & after getting lairy were told to leave & they smashed a glass pane in the door as they went which was a big mistake on their part. Just thought, didn't a group go in the Lib before the game & start throwing glasses at people ?