Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Going the whole hog.

So a couple of weeks ago i decided on purchasing half a lamb £70 delivered from Yorkshire.
Going down a treat at the moment.
Next on the list im thinking of going the whole hog.
Has anyone on here in the past or currently bought a whole pig or even a side of beef?

Comments

• clb74 said:
    So a couple of weeks ago i decided on purchasing half a lamb £70 delivered from Yorkshire.
    Going down a treat at the moment.
    Next on the list im thinking of going the whole hog.
    Has anyone on here in the past or currently bought a whole pig or even a side of beef?

Bought an 1/8th of a steer from a local farmer friend, filled the fricking freezer up.
  • Bought one!  I feckin married one!!

only kidding Mrs SB
    Now we know why your called SillyBilly...
  • Went veggie in January. Every feckin neighbour is having a BBQ lately. I can taste it on the breeze. I'm like a Labrador licking the air whilst watching somebody eat.
    You can turn back you know.......

Meat is lovely.  
  • Can’t beat quorn ribs

falls off the bone. 
  • Went veggie in January. Every feckin neighbour is having a BBQ lately. I can taste it on the breeze. I'm like a Labrador licking the air whilst watching somebody eat.
    Sorry prince but i dont get some of this veggie lark.
    The boy decided 3 weeks ago to go veggie, vegan whatever.
    Met up with him today i asked him whats he having for dinner.
    It was some beef thing that tastes like beef but is some veggie beef.
    If i was to turn veggie ,vegan or armardilo tomorrow i wouldnt be eating anything that tastes like meat.
    Id be sticking to the lettuce leaf
  • clb74 said:
    Went veggie in January. Every feckin neighbour is having a BBQ lately. I can taste it on the breeze. I'm like a Labrador licking the air whilst watching somebody eat.
    Sorry prince but i dont get some of this veggie lark.
    The boy decided 3 weeks ago to go veggie, vegan whatever.
    Met up with him today i asked him whats he having for dinner.
    It was some beef thing that tastes like beef but is some veggie beef.
    If i was to turn veggie ,vegan or armardilo tomorrow i wouldnt be eating anything that tastes like meat.
    Id be sticking to the lettuce leaf
    I don’t know why it annoys me But, it annoys me when pubs/restaurants advertise things like “vegan fish and chips” 

there is no such thing, it’s tofu in batter and chips 
  • Sponsored links:

• Bit like tripping over at school when running down the corridor, only to find you had burnt a hole in the knees of your polyester trousers. Now that was not a nice smell, and not to good a look either.
  • Love the smell of a lit bbq. Always feel envious when a neighbour fires one up. Have had a fair few whilst on lockdown. 
  • Love the smell of a lit bbq. Always feel envious when a neighbour fires one up. Have had a fair few whilst on lockdown. 
    I feel the same when our neighbours are burning human remains. 
  • Vegetarian food is often criticised when it likens itself to a traditionally meat product like sausages, or burgers.
    Seen as a bit hypocritical.
    Is that balanced out by calling a dead hen a chicken, or a dead pig bacon?
  • seth plum said:
    Vegetarian food is often criticised when it likens itself to a traditionally meat product like sausages, or burgers.
    Seen as a bit hypocritical.
    Is that balanced out by calling a dead hen a chicken, or a dead pig bacon?
    See, I’m not bothered by Sausage and burger because they can be made up of anything. 

Fish is fish is fish is fish, you can’t have vegan fish and chips.
  • edited May 2020
    Went veggie in January. Every feckin neighbour is having a BBQ lately. I can taste it on the breeze. I'm like a Labrador licking the air whilst watching somebody eat.
    You can turn back you know.......

Meat is lovely.  

I find the smell of heated flesh, fat, grease and sinew quite nauseating. The stench gets in the curtains, clothes on the line, bedding, etc. Same as garden bonfires. It's all about the person doing the thing - whether cooking or burning green 'waste'; the private becomes the public and it's a stinking, antisocial nuisance that many find truly offensive.

Glad you posted that Annakissed , ive never thought what its like for someone having to put up with the smell of a barbecue. Probably having to shut doors and windows if they choose not to smell the barbecues.
  • edited May 2020
    Since this is the veggie thread I might as well put in my thoughts.

I'm not veggie full time but I eat veggie meals 4 or 5 times a week.  dont go in for meat replacements, I prefer to have meals that either don't need meat (pizza is a great example) or stuff designed to be vegetarian (veggie tray bakes with halloumi is my favourite, butternut squash chilli is great). I also try and cut down on processed meat as much as possible particularly processed red meat such as mince. Great ways to do this is that any meal that requires mince (bolognese, chilli, lasagne) use a quarter of the amount you would usually use and make up the rest with lentils, beans, pulses, diced mushrooms or onions even grated carrot work well. Cook it all as normal. You'll get the same flavour but be so much better for you. Also wont eat meat with nitrates in (supermarket bacon is out - go to a butchers) as its horribly bad for you.

My main reasons for this are health, my dad had cancer a couple years ago and have been much more careful what I put in my body ever since. Also the environment and conservation are important and cutting down on red meat is good for this.

My issue with veggie or vegan food you get when out is that it is usually 'technically vegan' in that it contains no animal products but for me it also has to be 'vegan in spirit'. For me this is about the health benefits and also the wider environmental or conservation impacts of the food. Was it produced sustainably? Was a disproportionate amount of water used in its production?(big issue for a lot of vegan food) was it produced locally? Personally I would much rather have a meal including chicken if it had been farmed ethically and sustainably, with conservation in mind and locally than a vegan meal that was bad for the local environment overused water, didn't account for conservation and then was shipped halfway round the world.

Having said all that I am currently designing an outdoor kitchen for when I get a house complete with bbq, wood burning pizza oven and rotisserie.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't wish to derail your thread, Chris, and this will be my final comment.
    Numerous times I've had to shut windows - on a hot day, when I would rather not have the windows closed - but the reeking, stomach-churning stench gets in anyway.  
    The odour of dead animal parts being heated makes me feel physically sick and on so many occasions over the years  I have been forced to leave the house. 
    Cook the poor creature in the kitchen, perhaps? No! We'll do it outdoors - because we can. And sod anyone that doesn't like it. (Or, more likely, no 'Sod'. Because the BBQ maestro - often male -  didn't think of the affect on others at all, ever). 
    To be fair, would you say the same about someone cooking spicy food. Even when cooked indoors, the smell of curry does tend to travel. As indeed does the smell of garlic
  • edited June 2020
    "but the reeking, stomach-churning stench gets in anyway.  The odour of dead animal parts being heated makes me feel physically sick".

Is this reaction to the smell of a BBQ widespread amongst vegetarians / vegans? I've had plenty of BBQs with vegetarian friends, who get fish, veg, haloumi kebabs etc using a different side of the BBQ and their own tongs, who have never mentioned the impact on them of me cooking a chicken breast. 
  • Be interesting to know if he had the same thoughts to the smell before becoming a veggie then vegan or if the smell only churned his stomach once he turned away from meat. 

• I don't think its solely the smell of meat cooking. It could be any type of food cooking, including, I suppose, vegan food, as its apparently the process of creating any smell that moves beyond your own space that is offensive. I have to admit I hadn't considered this before.

"It's all about the person doing the thing - whether cooking or burning green 'waste'; the private becomes the public and it's a stinking, antisocial nuisance that many find truly offensive."
  • "but the reeking, stomach-churning stench gets in anyway.  The odour of dead animal parts being heated makes me feel physically sick".

Is this reaction to the smell of a BBQ widespread amongst vegetarians / vegans? I've had plenty of BBQs with vegetarian friends, who get fish, veg, haloumi kebabs etc using a different side of the BBQ and their own tongs, who have never mentioned the impact on them of me cooking a chicken breast. 
    It doesn’t make me feel sick but I don’t like it. Mainly because I know if I can smell it I’m taking in dead animal when I breathe.

As to veggie products labelled as being fish, chicken etc I see them as transitional foods. They help a lot of people wean themselves  off their old diet and into their new one. Can’t see the harm in this personally.

• My first go at beef brisket on my kamado.
    A little dry, but the taste 😋
    My mouth is watering at those photos. I'll be thinking of them when I have my lunchtime cheese sandwiches and apple  :D
  • WTF do they sell at stations late on a Friday or Saturday night?
    The stench of whatever the meat based thing a person eats pervades the whole train carriage.
    Makes me gag.