Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Going the whole hog.

Comments

• I don't wish to derail your thread, Chris, and this will be my final comment.
    Numerous times I've had to shut windows - on a hot day, when I would rather not have the windows closed - but the reeking, stomach-churning stench gets in anyway.  
    The odour of dead animal parts being heated makes me feel physically sick and on so many occasions over the years  I have been forced to leave the house. 
    Cook the poor creature in the kitchen, perhaps? No! We'll do it outdoors - because we can. And sod anyone that doesn't like it. (Or, more likely, no 'Sod'. Because the BBQ maestro - often male -  didn't think of the affect on others at all, ever). 
    So can you not eat in restaurants that aren’t 100% vegan for fear of getting a whiff of animal ?

That must be a right pain
  • Better let my neighbours know to close their windows tonight as I chuck some lovely mouth watering flesh onto my barbie.

Minted lamb steaks, burgers, sausages, prawns, halloumi, peppers & some big old mushrooms. Lovely jubbly.
  • Better let my neighbours know to close their windows tonight as I chuck some lovely mouth watering flesh onto my barbie.

Minted lamb steaks, burgers, sausages, prawns, halloumi, peppers & some big old mushrooms. Lovely jubbly.

I'll round about 8.
  • Went veggie in January. Every feckin neighbour is having a BBQ lately. I can taste it on the breeze. I'm like a Labrador licking the air whilst watching somebody eat.
    You can turn back you know.......

Meat is lovely.  

I find the smell of heated flesh, fat, grease and sinew quite nauseating. The stench gets in the curtains, clothes on the line, bedding, etc. Same as garden bonfires. It's all about the person doing the thing - whether cooking or burning green 'waste'; the private becomes the public and it's a stinking, antisocial nuisance that many find truly offensive.

There are many many more that don’t though.
  • seth plum said:
    WTF do they sell at stations late on a Friday or Saturday night?
    The stench of whatever the meat based thing a person eats pervades the whole train carriage.
    Makes me gag.
    Burger King Bacon Double Cheeseburger

How dare you pollute the air with the stench of peppers and mushrooms  ;)
  • seth plum said:
    The stench of whatever the meat based thing a person eats pervades the whole train carriage.
    Makes me gag.

Thanks! I won't get that thought out of my head now.

I so want a Bacon Double Cheeseburger.

Have just spoken to my wife and we're having one ourselves tonight.
    Numerous times I've had to shut windows - on a hot day, when I would rather not have the windows closed - but the reeking, stomach-churning stench gets in anyway.  
    The odour of dead animal parts being heated makes me feel physically sick and on so many occasions over the years  I have been forced to leave the house. 
    Cook the poor creature in the kitchen, perhaps? No! We'll do it outdoors - because we can. And sod anyone that doesn't like it. (Or, more likely, no 'Sod'. Because the BBQ maestro - often male -  didn't think of the affect on others at all, ever). 
    It's been derailed in a funny way though.
    I probably have 4 or 5 barbecues a year, your post yesterday did make me think though what it's like for someone like yourself.

• Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    Makes me gag.

Stench is the right word, Seth.

God knows what's in the crap they are eating, but the stench is nauseating and overpowering throughout the whole carriage - and there is no escape.

No chance of fresh air. These days, you can't even open the train window.

• I reckon it is the contents of some kind of pie Oggy.
    Really unpleasant to me.

• seth plum said:
    I reckon it is the contents of some kind of pie Oggy.
    Really unpleasant to me.

Oggy would know all about pies living in Plymouth 
  • seth plum said:
    I reckon it is the contents of some kind of pie Oggy.
    Really unpleasant to me.

Hairy?
  • bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    Makes me gag.

Thanks! I won't get that thought out of my head now.

I so want a Bacon Double Cheeseburger.
    Supersized, extra large bacon double cheeseburger please. A phrase I've repeated so many times in my life I can manage it when basically passed out drunk.
  • edited June 2020
    Some of the comments in this thread would suggest one or two people have a psychological problem.....we humans have eaten meat since we were on earth and are programmed to be able to eat it and thrive in doing so.
    As such I feel no shame in eating meat products.
    As for getting physically sick and mentally disturbed from smelling meat being cooked.....get help if it really affects your life to that degree, that smell has been around for many many thousands of years and was welcomed and greatly loved by our forefathers, again a smell which programmed us in a warm sensory fashion, it was a unifying process...hungry....as a group go out hunting for food....as a group bring it back to your cave (or wherever)......as a group cook it ....as a group watch and smell .....and as a group consume, in reality nothing has changed when you think about it.
    Back in the day you may well have starved to death and you would have without question been shunned by your peers for not embracing the ritualistic scenario.😳
  • Some of the comments in this thread would suggest one or two people have a psychological problem.....we humans have eaten meat since we were on earth and are programmed to be able to eat it and thrive in doing so.
    As for getting physically sick and mentally disturbed from smelling meat being cooked.....get help if it really affects your life to that degree, that smell has been around for many many thousands of years and was welcomed and greatly loved by our forefathers, again a smell which programmed us in a warm sensory fashion, it was a unifying process...hungry....as a group go out hunting for food....bring it back to your cave (or wherever)......cook....watch and smell .....and as a community consume, in reality nothing has changed when you think about it.
    Back in the day you may well have starved to death and you would have without question been shunned by your peers for not embracing the scenario.😳

The argument from some (maybe most) vegans is a moral one rather than it being unnatural to eat meat.
    I choose to eat meat because I like it - others may choose to not eat meat either because they don't like it or they have a moral objection. That's all fine to me and I see it as a question of personal choice, and the only time I get annoyed with vegans is when they accuse me of being immoral and get all preachy because I choose to do something that is in my view a natural thing and entirely lawful. Each to their own is fine.

• Sorry @Anna_Kissed just one more question. 

Did the smell offend you before becoming a vegetarian/ vegan ?

thanks 
  • Talking of smells I remember this from Only Fools and Horses:-

Derek and Rodney were being pursued through the Florida swamps by the local Mafia. They were up to their necks in, but were rescued by Boycie and Marlene, who suddenly appeared out of nowhere, on a propeller driven craft. They had just been hauled aboard when Boycie started sniffing the air, and then he came out with a wicked one liner.
    " Gawd blimey Del Boy. You smell just like a vegetarian's fart."

• Smoked lamb ribs, 4 hours in.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2020
    People used to complain about the smell of burning human flesh in circumstances where they came across it.

I am not sure that people are at liberty to eat absolutely anything they want, although sometimes they feel obliged to ingest what they would rather not.

An example from history could be:

https://www.historyextra.com/period/cannibalism-at-sea-sailors-ate-the-cabin-boy/

Probably uncooked though.

There is also:

https://www.theguardian.com/law/shortcuts/2015/dec/16/eating-people-is-wrong-but-is-it-against-the-law

And:

https://www.ranker.com/list/shipwrecks-ended-in-cannibalism/chase-christy
  • seth plum said:
    People used to complain about the smell of burning human flesh in circumstances where they came across it.

I am not sure that people are at liberty to eat absolutely anything they want, although sometimes they feel obliged to ingest what they would rather not.

An example from history could be:

https://www.historyextra.com/period/cannibalism-at-sea-sailors-ate-the-cabin-boy/

Probably uncooked though.

There is also:

https://www.theguardian.com/law/shortcuts/2015/dec/16/eating-people-is-wrong-but-is-it-against-the-law

And:

https://www.ranker.com/list/shipwrecks-ended-in-cannibalism/chase-christy

Cannibalism's fine but don't bother eating anyone Chinese, you'll be hungry again after an hour.

You'll be alright with it though Seth, you could eat a Swede. 

so no one can enjoy a BBQ because you've decided not to eat meat? 

can't stand the Veggie/vegan folk who act like they are better than those who eat meat. If you don't wont to eat meat fine! but the vast majority of the world do.....and have done since day dot. 

create you're own vegan thread to piss and whine about meat eaters if you must, but let us discuss our dinner without being preached to.
  • edited June 2020
    Some of the comments in this thread would suggest one or two people have a psychological problem.....we humans have eaten meat since we were on earth and are programmed to be able to eat it and thrive in doing so.
    As for getting physically sick and mentally disturbed from smelling meat being cooked.....get help if it really affects your life to that degree, that smell has been around for many many thousands of years and was welcomed and greatly loved by our forefathers, again a smell which programmed us in a warm sensory fashion, it was a unifying process...hungry....as a group go out hunting for food....as a group bring it back to your cave (or wherever)......as a group cook it ....as a group watch and smell .....and as a group consume, in reality nothing has changed when you think about it.
    Back in the day you may well have starved to death and you would have without question been shunned by your peers for not embracing the ritualistic scenario.😳
    I mean, it's not hard is it? Some people are affected by things more when it means more to them. 

As Veganism is not a diet but a personal choice based on beliefs, it seems easy to understand they may dislike the smell of meat cooking. They are more humane towards all animals than non-vegans. 

Today we do not need meat or at least not to the amount we currently eat of it, but choose to eat it.

To better understand the health benefits of a plant based diet watch this: 
    https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/81157840

then swiftly follow it up with this podcast: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0zgNY_kqlI

where Chris Kresser (a professional in ancestral health and medicine) attempts to debunk myths spread by vegans about eating meat and then James Wilks (presenter and producer of The Game Changers) challenges his points and debunks meat eaters myths about veganism... Whilst Joe Rogan basically mediates the discussion.

It's made me want to switch to a mostly plant based diet, not entirely but mostly. If my partner felt the same we would have already made the change, but we cannot afford to cater for multiple dinner types each night.

In January I went FULLY vegan and lost 3-4kgs in weight, since eating more animal products, the weight has come back. That's not correlation, it is causation. Meat is calorie dense and fatty. Vegetables, beans, nuts and pulses are nutrient dense and can contain plant fats to support burning of excessive stored fats. It takes more food to fill up on a vegan diet than it does a meat diet, but will be far lower calorie than the meat diet. 

Plant based or herbivore diets are mostly healthier, but will need supplementation of certain vitamins. But vitamin supplementation is recommended for herbivores and carnivores alike. 

• My vegetarian diet is chite because I eat a lot of biscuits and chocolate.

can't stand the Veggie/vegan folk who act like they are better than those who eat meat. If you don't wont to eat meat fine! but the vast majority of the world do.....and have done since day dot. 

create you're own vegan thread to piss and whine about meat eaters if you must, but let us discuss our dinner without being preached to.
    You are an absolute ignorant arse.
  • edited June 2020
    iainment said:
    I don't wish to derail your thread, Chris, and this will be my final comment.

But he kind of does have a point about not being lectured on this thread (saying this after I shared support for a plant based diet on this thread. Will my hypocrisy end?)
  • chicken on the rotisserie 
  • iainment said:
    I don't wish to derail your thread, Chris, and this will be my final comment.

why am I ignorant? because i don't want to be lectured about what I eat. think we'll agree to disagree on that one!