Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

After Life - Ricky Gervais

Comments

• Excellent news, Ricky Gervais has a great eye for screen comedians who get it

David Earl, Joe Wilkinson, Kerri Godliman, Brett Goldstein, Diane Morgan, Tim Wray, Tom Basden 

• Series Two out now
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I haven't watched it yet, although I will.  My cousin died, from cancer, last year, she was only 38.  Her husband, himself only 33, has been interviewed about this show.  Its here

Check out @WidowedAndYoung’s Tweet:

https://www.unilad.co.uk/featured/ricky-gervais-after-life-is-painfully-accurate-portrayal-of-life-as-a-widower/
    I think if those who are widowed and young get some confort from it then theirs is the most important opinion.

As for me: I don't like Derek, didn't like what little I saw of The Office, never seen Extras, but loved this. 

It seems maybe too many's opinions of this series are influenced by what he's done before.

It's not really to be classified as a comedy, is it? In some ways it reminds me of series one of Breaking Bad. That too was about a man whose life had been turned upside down and he changed as a person. He also took this super hero attitude. As a result there were some funny moments.

As a sidenote about swear words  just being a word: I used to be of this opinion but two things have changed my mind:
    1. Having children
    2. Learning a foreign language
  • edited April 2020
    Thought the first series was meh, ricky gervais wandering around being a fictionalised version of himself (again). Predictable plots, couple of quirky characters but not much else and the old tried and tested methods of tugging on heartstrings (dead spouse story told in flashbacks, dog, father in care home etc). Will probably pass on the second series.
  • It’s worth watching for Brian Gittins alone. 
  • edited April 2020
    I liked it much more than I thought I would. Mrs JS wouldn’t watch it as she doesn’t like RG. 
    Looking forward to watching Series 2 when she’s at work ;-)
  • Carter said:
    That was fantastic, if you are not moved by this series then you are dead inside 

Some proper, real belly laughs followed up by your heart being wrenched. Exhausted 
    Spot on. Perfect review.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just watched all of season 2 . 
    Absolutely brilliant. Not especially funny but so , so moving . Still think the language is a little unnecessary but I can forgive it for that . 
  • It’s worth watching for Brian Gittins alone. 
    The only small criticism I have is Brian seems to have turned into Kev from Derek.
    More a continuity criticism as the character(s) are proper proper funny.
  • I really enjoyed the first episode. The nonce/dwarf scene in particular was very funny. 
  • Bulk watched season 2 last night. 

I like Gervais anyway but that was good and i like my humour on the cringeworthy side so ticked all the boxes.
  • Carter said:
    That was fantastic, if you are not moved by this series then you are dead inside 

Some proper, real belly laughs followed up by your heart being wrenched. Exhausted 
    Great summary. Was surprised to find the second series even better than the first. 

Where I think it really hits is the observation of grief. It's not the big things, it's relentlessly the little ones - and Gervais has this off to a tee. 

Shrink is lazily written and still overusing the C word like he's been dared, but couldn't believe I'd watched the whole series when I got to the end. Really really good. 
  • Just started watching this tonight, best thing I've watched for some time. 
  • Shrink changed so much from the last series and Tom the boss did also, but I spose he had a reason. 

Apart from that continuity, I thought the whole series absolutely brilliant.

Thought The Office was genius, couldn't stand Extras or Gervais' stand-up, this was really really good though.
  • Just watched all of season 2 . 
    Absolutely brilliant. Not especially funny but so , so moving . Still think the language is a little unnecessary but I can forgive it for that . 
    This.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just finished it. Have to say not a patch on series one but very moving. I am no prude but the completely unnecessary usage of the C Word in the first two episodes were cringe worthy. 
  • I don't mind the c-bombs, I'm just never convinced whenever Ricky is acting out crying or walking (for some reason), and it really distracts me.
  • Intended to ration myself to one a week, but ended up watching the first two back to back.  The episodes don't seem very long which I take as a sign on how immersive it is.
  • Loved Series 1 and 2, the scene with the breast milk being used for rice pudding was one of the funniest scenes I've seen for years. Being both moving and funny it ticks lots of boxes, but I'm afraid I really struggle with the constant use of the C word. I suppose I'm just from a time when it was just a no no on any programme and it just seems so unnecessary. I also found the shrink painful this time, almost like the writer was just trying to shock, rather than be funny. Apart from those two small gripes, I thought it was great television. Roll on series 3!
  • Just watched all 6 back-to-back and thought it was a masterpiece 
  • episode 5 was a real rollercoaster, the am dram scene with mother and son, genius 
    Gervais’ acting was incredible 

I actually thought it was funnier than series 1, had the right balance, like others, think Paul Kaye’s shrink character was over played/used although it was funny in parts, only negative for me was Kerry Godlimans overacting screeching and laughing in the home videos