Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

After Life - Ricky Gervais

Comments

• edited June 2020
    Finally got around to watching this over the last couple of days. Does play with the emotions quite a bit and thought it was very good overall.

As others have said Paul Kaye's character did jar a bit as he was so OTT (despite making me laugh). Thought the use of the C word was largely unnecessary too. Not sure why Gervais likes to use it so much unless it was in relation to recent owners of Charlton Athletic.
  • Recently just watched both series for first time

Enjoyed it.

Agree with others in that the therapist was annoying (intentionally so) but Paul Kaye seemed to play same character he always plays.
  • Yeah I recently just watch both series, thought they were brilliant.
  • Just finished both series and thought it was brilliant.

know I’m in a minority but I really liked Kayes character.
    He kind of latched onto Gervais’s BIL in series 2 who acted as his kind of therapist.

Be interested to know how this has gone down on the states. Real British humour edge to it ,like the office
  • I was watching something on youtube a few days ago, some hot wings challenge where celebs are interviewed whilst eating progressively hotter wings. Gervais done it and came across as a pretty clever bloke and his views on religion were bang on for me.
  • I watched the second series having quite liked the first and was massively disappointed. I thought it was poorly written and all a bit one dimensional - not convincing as a drama or a comedy.

• I thought it was great but I am a gervais fan in general , i loved the therapist & love that the character is so divisive.

It seemed pretty well wrapped up & given his history I was surprised to hear a third series but it seems crazy to suggest it doesn’t need one & would surely  be better to watch it & say it didn’t need one as we’ve no idea what questions it will answer & will probably answer some we didn’t know were there .

I couldn’t help but think of him in his role in Ghost Town when I started watching it & I don’t know why, although he didn’t write that I think he’s taken something from that & put it into this although I don’t know what it is! 
    P.S Derek not a comedy ??!! I laughed my balls off at some parts
  • I thought it was great but I am a gervais fan in general , i loved the therapist & love that the character is so divisive.

It seemed pretty well wrapped up & given his history I was surprised to hear a third series but it seems crazy to suggest it doesn’t need one & would surely  be better to watch it & say it didn’t need one as we’ve no idea what questions it will answer & will probably answer some we didn’t know were there .

I couldn’t help but think of him in his role in Ghost Town when I started watching it & I don’t know why, although he didn’t write that I think he’s taken something from that & put it into this although I don’t know what it is! 
    Derek is 100% a comedy but it's written in a touching way. Only fools and horses was the same, it wasnt always Del falling through a bar hatch 

• Carter said:
    I thought it was great but I am a gervais fan in general , i loved the therapist & love that the character is so divisive.

Derek is 100% a comedy but it's written in a touching way. Only fools and horses was the same, it wasnt always Del falling through a bar hatch 

Oh yes comedy has touching moments & sometimes these moments are even more touching because they are from a comedy , I was choked right up seeing del alone in the nags head function room after rodneys wedding reception ,also sticks in my head cos the vicer says rodneys middle name!
  • Carter said:
    I thought it was great but I am a gervais fan in general , i loved the therapist & love that the character is so divisive.

Oh yes comedy has touching moments & sometimes these moments are even more touching because they are from a comedy , I was choked right up seeing del alone in the nags head function room after rodneys wedding reception ,also sticks in my head cos the vicer says rodneys middle name!
    Del and Rodney is the lift after Cassandra had the miscarriage is the one the sticks in my head, proper emotional moment
  • Sponsored links:

• Carter said:

Del and Rodney is the lift after Cassandra had the miscarriage is the one the sticks in my head, proper emotional moment
    It's not often spoken about, but the episode where Del becomes a father figure to the son of the woman he is seeing is moving af. The one that begins and ends with 'Old Shep.' Probably my favourite episode.
  • The trailer nearly got me 

I'm glad he is still a lightening user of a c bomb when necessary 
  • Can't wait, don't really think the c word is necessary but I'll survive. 
  • edited January 2022
  • We watched it all as well, I think its fair to say a lot of stuff that was filmed during the pandemic has a slightly rushed feel to it and this I'll include in that

I don't completely disagree with what @Dave2l says (Ricky Gervais always reflects a lot of himself in his characters and their dialogue) but I do have a slightly different view in that it's closing the book on the After life world that contained some really good characters who got some great lines and I think that was fair reason for a final series. He also seemed to directly answer a lot of fans questions regarding how Tony lives in that house and is able to afford to continue to do so whilst working about 2 hours a day for a free paper 

This series for me didnt hit me as squarely in the chest which I'm not unhappy about as it had some genuine moments of hilarity, however that doesn't mean you won't find something in your eye in at least 2 episodes 
  • There was definitely someone cutting onions near me during the last episode
  • Ross said:
    There was definitely someone cutting onions near me during the last episode
    Yes that was very touching especially the dogs Trust tent 
  • Brian’s ‘why did the chicken cross the road’ joke had me in bits.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2022
    Dave2l said:
    Just watched all 6.

There are some funny moments and it is emotional viewing. It is well edited and certainly has some atmospheric sad moments.

But, unfortunately, it is pretty much simply just the same shit, via the 1st and 2nd series. The 3rd season didn't seem necessary in my opinion. 

As much as I mostly really like the work of Ricky Gervais, he's a great funny unique person and a really good writer....the continuous need to use characters to be open about his own opinions does get boring and repetitive.

We already know he is an atheist who loves dogs and loves David Bowie. Almost every character he plays will always include a chunk of his own beliefs and personality. We don't need to constantly hear a patronising continuous reminder of common sense. We're not stupid. Most of us are at least aware about death! 

Sad stories don't do much for me personally. It's only good when delivered in patches.
    The office and Extras are billion times better than After Life and Derek. The office was perfect at delivering the detailed sad parts.

I also thought the acting was pretty piss poor in some cases.
    The main characters are good and experienced enough...but some of it was pretty numb and bland. 

I don't think it was really much of a decent story and I could just see through it. 

It was sad but we all need cheering up a bit.

I understand it is more in direct relation towards people who have recently lost loved ones and are currently going through an emotional painful experience.
    I've not watched season 3 yet, but I've always felt Ricky's best work was with Stephen Merchant.
  • For me series 1 and 2 both had LOTS of laughs and LOTS of crying/emotional moments. 

Series 3 had a few of both but not enough of either. 

It always seemed unneeded to me. His previous work has always been 2 series and a special. Surprised he went with a full 3rd series. 

It was ok. But I only watched it yesterday and I’m already looking back thinking “not much happened”
  • If any series didn't really need a third it was this.

Ironically, The office felt like it had at least another two or three.
  • Just finished it.  Not as good as the first 2 series, but still some LOL moments.  Some equally sad & emotional moments too.

He's a clever man that Gervais!!
  • Half decent third season but felt unnecessary. The first 4 episodes were a waste of time, enjoyed doing the final two more which wrapped everything up. 
  • Half decent third season but felt unnecessary. The first 4 episodes were a waste of time, enjoyed doing the final two more which wrapped everything up. 

Just watched the first four and I'm glad you've said this as it doesn't seem to be going anywhere from what I've seen so far. Mildly amusing, too many attempted laughs from the c word, a couple of very funny moments but less poingnant than before.....so far. I'll post an addendum after watching the last two.
  • Tell you what though, I'm really intrigued with what hencomes up with next. He seems at his most creative when he has a bee in his bonnet or something to get off his chest. 

He is such a talent and we will all miss him when he decides its time to retire 
  • Thoroughly enjoyed Season 3, look forward to the next (hopefully)

Just watched the first four and I'm glad you've said this as it doesn't seem to be going anywhere from what I've seen so far. Mildly amusing, too many attempted laughs from the c word, a couple of very funny moments but less poingnant than before.....so far. I'll post an addendum after watching the last two.
    Exactly how I felt, the laughs are too similar, in fact it’s almost like the end of season 2 didn’t happen and this is the replacement. Hopefully you’re satisfied with the ending at least. 
  • I just read on Wiki that there are nine versions of The Office other than the British original and its infinitely better American follow up. Wondering if anyone has seen any of the other versions and what they made of them.