Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

After Life - Ricky Gervais

12345679»

Comments

• End of season two was the perfect end. Lots of storylines tied up. Doesn't need another.
  • I’ve really enjoyed it.

Been hit horribly by cancer over the past few years (not me personally) and he captures the mood and angst very well. Ultimately, you feel hopeless and useless but, I think unwittingly he’s making other people happy despite his own despair.

Looking forward to the 3rd series.
  • Might have to binge watch Derek.

Wasn't great but it's pretty much the same show and has some entertaining bits. A comfortable show Netflix binge.

Ricky probably just needs to remind himself that deep down, everyone is most likely to be an Atheist.

They just wish they could live forever or hope there actually is some sort of "AfterLife".

It might be because they enjoy life.

The constant I'm an Atheist reminder is a bit dull and patronising. It's not needed. Why simply just naturally assume everyone watching the show is not aware of this? Or is religious?

We all know it and we are all in the same boat.

• edited May 14
    Glovepup said:
    I think you don't like the psychiatrist because that is his character and how it is to be intended?
    I'm not sure about Series 2 so far (just one episode in) bit I like the psychiatrist. Both he and the postman are so awful at their jobs, so it's funny.

Surely this is done on purpose. It's like Gervais asked 'what's the most ridiculous person you could find to do that job?' and then set it up like that.

A bit like me as a holiday rep actually.
  • edited June 16
    Finally got around to watching this over the last couple of days. Does play with the emotions quite a bit and thought it was very good overall.

As others have said Paul Kaye's character did jar a bit as he was so OTT (despite making me laugh). Thought the use of the C word was largely unnecessary too. Not sure why Gervais likes to use it so much unless it was in relation to recent owners of Charlton Athletic.
  • Recently just watched both series for first time

Enjoyed it.

Agree with others in that the therapist was annoying (intentionally so) but Paul Kaye seemed to play same character he always plays.
  • Yeah I recently just watch both series, thought they were brilliant.
  • Just finished both series and thought it was brilliant.

know I’m in a minority but I really liked Kayes character.
    He kind of latched onto Gervais’s BIL in series 2 who acted as his kind of therapist.

Be interested to know how this has gone down on the states. Real British humour edge to it ,like the office
  • I was watching something on youtube a few days ago, some hot wings challenge where celebs are interviewed whilst eating progressively hotter wings. Gervais done it and came across as a pretty clever bloke and his views on religion were bang on for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• I watched the second series having quite liked the first and was massively disappointed. I thought it was poorly written and all a bit one dimensional - not convincing as a drama or a comedy.

• I thought it was great but I am a gervais fan in general , i loved the therapist & love that the character is so divisive.

It seemed pretty well wrapped up & given his history I was surprised to hear a third series but it seems crazy to suggest it doesn’t need one & would surely  be better to watch it & say it didn’t need one as we’ve no idea what questions it will answer & will probably answer some we didn’t know were there .

I couldn’t help but think of him in his role in Ghost Town when I started watching it & I don’t know why, although he didn’t write that I think he’s taken something from that & put it into this although I don’t know what it is! 
    P.S Derek not a comedy ??!! I laughed my balls off at some parts
  • I thought it was great but I am a gervais fan in general , i loved the therapist & love that the character is so divisive.

It seemed pretty well wrapped up & given his history I was surprised to hear a third series but it seems crazy to suggest it doesn’t need one & would surely  be better to watch it & say it didn’t need one as we’ve no idea what questions it will answer & will probably answer some we didn’t know were there .

I couldn’t help but think of him in his role in Ghost Town when I started watching it & I don’t know why, although he didn’t write that I think he’s taken something from that & put it into this although I don’t know what it is! 
    Derek is 100% a comedy but it's written in a touching way. Only fools and horses was the same, it wasnt always Del falling through a bar hatch 

• Carter said:
    I thought it was great but I am a gervais fan in general , i loved the therapist & love that the character is so divisive.

Derek is 100% a comedy but it's written in a touching way. Only fools and horses was the same, it wasnt always Del falling through a bar hatch 

Oh yes comedy has touching moments & sometimes these moments are even more touching because they are from a comedy , I was choked right up seeing del alone in the nags head function room after rodneys wedding reception ,also sticks in my head cos the vicer says rodneys middle name!
  • Carter said:
    I thought it was great but I am a gervais fan in general , i loved the therapist & love that the character is so divisive.

Oh yes comedy has touching moments & sometimes these moments are even more touching because they are from a comedy , I was choked right up seeing del alone in the nags head function room after rodneys wedding reception ,also sticks in my head cos the vicer says rodneys middle name!
    Del and Rodney is the lift after Cassandra had the miscarriage is the one the sticks in my head, proper emotional moment
  • Carter said:

Del and Rodney is the lift after Cassandra had the miscarriage is the one the sticks in my head, proper emotional moment
    It's not often spoken about, but the episode where Del becomes a father figure to the son of the woman he is seeing is moving af. The one that begins and ends with 'Old Shep.' Probably my favourite episode.