Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

After Life - Ricky Gervais

15678911»

Comments

• Taxi_Lad said:
    Just finished series 3. It’s all personal taste I guess but I do wonder if people just jump on the bandwagon and talk it down for the sake of it. I enjoyed it as much as series 1&2   Full of humorous and touching moments. Never really been a Ricky Gervais fan but he’s done a fantastic job with After Life
    I am with you, not a massive Ricky Gervais fan but really love the whole series. Wasn't underwhelmed on the last one, felt like he gave a bit more stories to those around him. All each to their own but i binged it and really enjoyed it. 
  • Yeah there’s only so much self-pity from Tony that the audience can take surely? Hence the other characters getting more air time or filler. Gervais has tried to turn Tony into the support, and pay back the attention and care to those that gave it to him in the first 2 series. That’s quite a hard thing to write and get into 6 episodes. I agree it wasn’t as good as the first two and I think Gervais would agree with you.
  • Yeah there’s only so much self-pity from Tony that the audience can take surely? Hence the other characters getting more air time or filler. Gervais has tried to turn Tony into the support, and pay back the attention and care to those that gave it to him in the first 2 series. That’s quite a hard thing to write and get into 6 episodes. I agree it wasn’t as good as the first two and I think Gervais would agree with you.
    Not sure about that! 
  • Big part of me thinks they could have wrapped it up with a feature length special / film rather than dragging it out for 6 episodes.

I really wanted to love that final season, but there’s just not enough there. 

One thing I will say though, I reckon that final scene in the park will end up being an iconic one that people will talk about for years. It does hit hard.
  • Stig said:
    I just read on Wiki that there are nine versions of The Office other than the British original and its infinitely better American follow up. Wondering if anyone has seen any of the other versions and what they made of them.

The American office is a hilarious sitcom. One of the best made.

The original and best UK version is a masterpiece and work of art.

Enjoyed Afterlife but to be fair am a massive Gervais fan and I would probably find him amusing doing the delay announcements for South Eastern.  

• edited January 2022
    Thought the series as a whole was weak compared to the first two, but still enjoyable. A fantastic final episode full of emotion. 

Felt like they should have had something about his alcohol abuse, as the series almost glorified it. 
  • Far too many filler scenes with him and his dog. One of them lasted the whole length of a song. If I wanted to watch a pooch fest I'd have gone on YouTube. 
  • Binged it on Sunday - not as good as other series thought the bit with Brian getting bullied at the fair was unnecessary. 

Leave it there I think 
  • Really disappointed so far, one episode to go and only keeping going because I've heard the last one is good. Thoroughly enjoyed the first two series but this is nowhere near as enjoyable. Two of the most likeable characters have gone, too many boring filler scenes of him watching old videos and a seemingly unending desire to be over the top vulgar,  just for the shock effect.  It became cringy and boring, and just wasn't very funny.  I had always warmed to the main character during the first two, yes he took the piss out of other characters but it was done in a humorous way. In this series he has  just been nasty and unkind to other people and I lost all sympathy for him. Last but not least, and I accept this might be a generational thing, but I really don't like the use of the C word. The first two series were so good it was easy to overlook, but it was used so liberally in this one that it just helped to remove any small enjoyment I was gaining from watching the series. Maybe the final episode will rescue the overall series somewhat but I already know that I will never watch it again. 
  • Agree with the C word, like i dont get offended by it and mates say it but not really a fan and RG overused it. Sometimes it was funny, sometimes cringeworthy. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Glosfan said:
    Really disappointed so far, one episode to go and only keeping going because I've heard the last one is good. Thoroughly enjoyed the first two series but this is nowhere near as enjoyable. Two of the most likeable characters have gone, too many boring filler scenes of him watching old videos and a seemingly unending desire to be over the top vulgar,  just for the shock effect.  It became cringy and boring, and just wasn't very funny.  I had always warmed to the main character during the first two, yes he took the piss out of other characters but it was done in a humorous way. In this series he has  just been nasty and unkind to other people and I lost all sympathy for him. Last but not least, and I accept this might be a generational thing, but I really don't like the use of the C word. The first two series were so good it was easy to overlook, but it was used so liberally in this one that it just helped to remove any small enjoyment I was gaining from watching the series. Maybe the final episode will rescue the overall series somewhat but I already know that I will never watch it again. 
    Agree with the C word, like i dont get offended by it and mates say it but not really a fan and RG overused it. Sometimes it was funny, sometimes cringeworthy. 
    The storyline of Kath not liking the C word and the way that developed was the one instance, in my opinion, where it was appropriately used, but even then they telegraphed the outcome. It was possibly the most predictable punchline I’ve ever seen.

I dont really mind the use of the C word, personally. Doesn’t bother me. But I do appreciate that it bothers a lot of people (so I limit my own use of it) and I can see that it was used more than it needed to be in the show. Then again, maybe RG is trying to contribute to removing the taboo by normalising it?
  • Watched the final two episodes last night. I can see why people liked these as there were some touching moments but, as particularly seen in the final scene, there were a number of characters that didn't really add anything and seemed to be there just to fill time.

As a big fan of Ever Decreasing Circles, I did appreciate the fact that Ann (Penelope Wilton) hooked up with Paul (Peter Egan). I believe this was Ricky Gervais's own tribute to that rather underrated series.
    He has openly said he does this a lot in his shows, paying homage to certain scenes from his favorites shows by using parts from them, its also noticeable that the ending is a carbon copy of how Still Game ended with the main characters disappearing into the distance, I can't imagine this was a co-incidence either
  • The scene with the kids in the hospital done me 😭

Ratty and nonce were pointless and annoying this series even the small part they played.
  • See everyone's on a bit of a downer with the 3rd series.

I'm only 1 episode in but thought it was as funny as any other previous episode I've watched.
    Some genuine belly laughs with some serious bits thrown in. 

Struggling to see the hate so far?

I'm only 1 episode in but thought it was as funny as any other previous episode I've watched.

I don't think there is any hate. Just a bit of disappointment.

Ratty and nonce were pointless and annoying this series even the small part they played.
    Some of the outtakes clips have appeared online, which are always good fun with RG stuff, but one thing they showed was that Gervais gave the guy playing Ratty some license to ad-lib and freestyle his über-offensive geezer-patter. 
    RG obviously finds this hilarious and some of the terminology he came up with is kind of funny, but those two characters just didn’t work this series. They were a small, amusing diversion for a couple of minutes in season 2, but here they were just revolting wankers who got in the way of the storylines.
  • If the best parts of season 3 had been assimilated into the 2nd season, then I genuinely think you’d have one of the undisputed best British sitcoms of all time. 

Some of the outtakes clips have appeared online, which are always good fun with RG stuff, but one thing they showed was that Gervais gave the guy playing Ratty some license to ad-lib and freestyle his über-offensive geezer-patter. 
    RG obviously finds this hilarious and some of the terminology he came up with is kind of funny, but those two characters just didn’t work this series. They were a small, amusing diversion for a couple of minutes in season 2, but here they were just revolting wankers who got in the way of the storylines.
    I think a number of aspects of the last season weren't as RG would have wanted due to losing various actors. In an ideal world I'm sure he wouldn't have wanted to lose Roisin Conaty, Paul Kaye and Mandeep Dhillon. I'm sure 2 "geezers" were thrown in to fill the void left by Paul Kaye, whilst the array of side character stories were there to make up for the loss of more satisfying endings for Roisin and Mandeep's characters.
  • cafctom said:
    If the best parts of season 3 had been assimilated into the 2nd season, then I genuinely think you’d have one of the undisputed best British sitcoms of all time. 
    His usual format of 2 series then a feature length special would have been ideal imo 
  • I hadn’t watched After Life at all before picking up on this thread. Although I generally like RG’s work without having a lot of time for his public persona, I thought the subject matter was potentially a step too far for enjoyment. I binged all three series over the last few days and I have to say I laughed and cried in equal measure. An excellent series that really makes you think as well as laugh. Like others, an overly gratuitous use of the C bomb and some stupidly OTT characters were unnecessary and symptomatic of RG trying to shock for the hell of it because he can. But these were minor distractions. On the whole the third season was pretty superfluous and a little twee. There was no need to round off (generally happily) the lives of the main characters because, to me, that turned a hard hitting piece of realism into a fairly tale. The whole point of the programme in the first place was to show how shit bereavement is and it would have been better left without the sugary ending. That’s not to say that series 3 wasn’t enjoyable. It just felt a bit like an unnecessary afterthought. 
  • Sponsored links:

I really enjoyed it personally, i know people have been digging it. But it didn't fail in my expectations, yes there are certain bits which seem pointless or characters. But overall its great the whole series and the last one tied up a few loose ends. 
  • Carter said:
    Excellent news, Ricky Gervais has a great eye for screen comedians who get it

David Earl, Joe Wilkinson, Kerri Godliman, Brett Goldstein, Diane Morgan, Tim Wray, Tom Basden 

Is Tom Basden a Charlton fan?