Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

After Life - Ricky Gervais

Comments

• Options
    Carter said:
    Tell you what though, I'm really intrigued with what hencomes up with next. He seems at his most creative when he has a bee in his bonnet or something to get off his chest. 

He is such a talent and we will all miss him when he decides its time to retire 
    I know he’s signed the deal with Netflix for 3 shows so shouldn’t have to wait too long. 
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    Thoroughly enjoyed Season 3, look forward to the next (hopefully)
    It’s definitely finished now. 
  • Options
    loved it - the game of squash was brilliant as was the scene in the cafe
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I just read on Wiki that there are nine versions of The Office other than the British original and its infinitely better American follow up. Wondering if anyone has seen any of the other versions and what they made of them.
    Interesting, didn’t know there are 9 others.
    surely none of them can top the US office though
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    We've watched 4 episodes so far, enjoying it but the  David Earl character is wearing very thin.  Shame Roisin Conaty isn't in it either, her scenes were usually good.

The Tim Key part was brilliant, Diane Morgan is fantastic.
  • Options
    Binge watched series 3 on Saturday.  As others have stated, it was a struggle to see the point at times. As a casual user and supporter of the "C" word myself, I found its use excessive and unnecesary, after all the english language has plenty of alternatives.

The ending scene was poignant. My interpretation of it was that we all eventually die, the already passed wife faded, then the faithful dog and of course finally Gervais himself.

Enjoyed it, no need for another series and i look forward to other projects.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited January 2022
    I don’t think it was as strong as series 1-2, but still enjoyed it, I clicked what was going to happen (spoiler alert) with the life insurance early on. A couple of takeaways for me, thought the two podcaster idiots were overplayed, they were genuinely funnier with Paul Kayes involvement, and although mentioned quite a bit in the storyline we never got see Roxy, not needed? Couldn’t agree a deal with Conaty? She left of her own volition? 
    Biggest message for me was the kids ward, as someone who is going through my own battle right now, it really brought home the message that there are others far worse off than I, and we should be grateful for the things that appear small to us, but huge for others. 
  • Options
    I like a lot of what Gervais does but think After Life like Derek is pretty poor. A lot of the characters seem very one dimensional and I think he struggles with the subject matter in his writing.
  • Options
    I think it’s basically a series to far for me. The narrative simply hasn’t evolved from the last two series and a storylines are basically repeating themselves. It’s a shame because the character remain strong and funny but I feel like something new needed to happen when in actual it just followed a very predictable path , maybe the twist was that there was no twist , hmmm no .. loved the other two this was disappointing 
  • Options
    Up to him, but I personally don't think he should always rotate a batch of actors from his other shows. Maybe just one or two...not every single character!
    It reduces the depth.

It's probably good for himself and the people around him, but for an audience...I think it reduces originality and it just seems lazy.

Was good to see keith from the office though 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like a lot of what Gervais does but think After Life like Derek is pretty poor. A lot of the characters seem very one dimensional and I think he struggles with the subject matter in his writing.
    His skill is joke writing, for sure. Any time he tries to tackle serious subject matter he just swings straight for the nose. Coincidentally Mackenzie Crook is really skilled at writing and directing shows that are funny, but layer in drama and melancholy with subtlelty. #teamgareth
  • Options
    Was a big fan of the first two series and generally like his stuff, but this felt unnecessary. It became formulaic and whilst there were some laughs and some emotional bits, by and large I found my attention wandering away from it. IMO he should have left it with 2 series.

It annoyed me that they referred to Roxy and fair bit and she wasn't in it, similarly why bring back Paul Kaye's mates but not his character?

6/10 wouldn't bother watching again.
  • Options
    If you're a Gervais fan it was decent and worth watching.
    I enjoyed it but it was a 6/10 for me.
  • Options
    The scene in the cafe was my favourite bit of series 3.  Absolutely hilarious
  • Options
    Some laugh out loud moments and some genuinely touching scenes; just not as many as in the last series.

The script and character development, plus the continuity of the plot was nowhere near as spot on as it had been with some interesting plot lines unexplored and others over-exploited.  Still some great performances from the usual suspects, but the whole thing started to feel a tad repetitive.

I'm glad that this is the last series; it has definitely run its course.

Looking forward to seeing what he does next.

P.S have to agree that the chicken joke scene had me in stitches; I would love to see Brian get his own spin-off series - the guy has funny bones...
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I just read on Wiki that there are nine versions of The Office other than the British original and its infinitely better American follow up. Wondering if anyone has seen any of the other versions and what they made of them.
    Would love to see a scandi version…
  • Options
    I haven’t watched any of these at all (struggle to watch RG).
    Are all 3 series on Netflix?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    Spolier Alert - if you haven't watched it all yet

As others have said - loved series 1 and 2.  Series 3 a little disappointing missing Roxy and Sandy... still some touching and funny moments.   I thought right at the end, after he'd given away all or most of the insurance money that he gave a final looking wave to Lenny...it left you wondering if he wasn't going home to end it all...
  • Options
    CafcWest said:

As others have said - loved series 1 and 2.  Series 3 a little disappointing missing Roxy and Sandy... still some touching and funny moments.   I thought right at the end, after he'd given away all or most of the insurance money that he gave a final looking wave to Lenny...it left you wondering if he wasn't going home to end it all...
    Same re spoilers!! 

I actually had to Google it to double check the meaning of the ending, as I thought it could suggest the same.  Ish.  I didn't think that Tony had gone home then to end it (although the salute was concerning there), but as the season changed to autumn maybe they were saying come a few months later, the dog snuffed it and that pushed him to suicide!

Ricky Gervais has come out and said not though, it's just supposed to show we all go at some stage, the dog would die in a few years, Tony a few years after that, and the park would still be there etc etc, life goes on.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:

Same re spoilers!! 

I actually had to Google it to double check the meaning of the ending, as I thought it could suggest the same.  Ish.  I didn't think that Tony had gone home then to end it (although the salute was concerning there), but as the season changed to autumn maybe they were saying come a few months later, the dog snuffed it and that pushed him to suicide!

Ricky Gervais has come out and said not though, it's just supposed to show we all go at some stage, the dog would die in a few years, Tony a few years after that, and the park would still be there etc etc, life goes on.

Feel mildly emotional reading that last paragraph haha.

Overall, afterlife is and was a great sitcom/drama. If including every aspect of it, not just the 1st season.

It was probably a very tough task writing that show just by himself. May have been better if he allowed some help sweeping in.

I might watch it all again in roughly a year or 2

• Options
    Yes.
    Thank you 🙏🏻 
  • Options
    Just finished the 3rd season.

Glad I’m not the only one who found it underwhelming.

I had a feeling the final episode would be a strong one, as Gervais knows how to wrap up a story in a heartfelt way. It’s just that the 5 episodes leading up to it were just filled with very few memorable moments - unlike Season 1 and to an extent Season 2.

The focus on the supporting cast added very little and was just to fill time.

I happily rewatched Season 1 and 2 but won’t  feel the need to do it with Season 3.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Just finished series 3. It’s all personal taste I guess but I do wonder if people just jump on the bandwagon and talk it down for the sake of it. I enjoyed it as much as series 1&2   Full of humorous and touching moments. Never really been a Ricky Gervais fan but he’s done a fantastic job with After Life

I think there are four distinct groups who hold a particular view and won’t be shaken from it:
    1) Gervais fans who think everything he does is brilliant
    2) Gervais haters who think everything he does is shit
    3) People who like Gervais, but prefer his old stuff with Stephen Merchant and find his new stuff inferior.
    4) People who don’t really like Gervais but think his more recent stuff is his best work.

Then I think there are a lot of people who liked bits, didn’t like other bits and from that have come to a conclusion. I don’t think it’s a bandwagon really.
    Personally, I thought it was ok. But not great. Some funny moments, some heart wrenching moments and some shite.
  • Options
    Am I the only one that thinks it’s cloying, mawkish, clichéd and overly sentimental?
    Still gets me every time though. The last episode was ridiculous, but still made me blub. 
  • Options
    Watched it over the last two days. 

Me and the missus often laughed out loud but also found Ratty and Nonce and also Brian’s ever weirder ramblings to be a bit shit. 

Might as well not had postman in this series and Ashley Jensen underused as well.