Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

“Essential Travel”

Comments

• ross1 said:
    I have not used my car now for nearly 4 weeks, I was thinking about going for a 10 minute run around the local area, not stopping and with windows up, as I hate to think will the car start if left for 3 months without a run. It is a 2012 Ford, for you experts who would know of any problems
    ross1 said:
    I have not used my car now for nearly 4 weeks, I was thinking about going for a 10 minute run around the local area, not stopping and with windows up, as I hate to think will the car start if left for 3 months without a run. It is a 2012 Ford, for you experts who would know of any problems

I run the engine for a few minutes every couple of days and check the tyre pressures once a week .. modern cars should be OK especially now that summer is on the way 
  • Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    I haven't left the house for two weeks now because I don't need to do any "essential" travel. The missus gets the food shopping in - as one of her apparently many "essential" trips out each day (a sore point) - and the whole thing is really starting to fuck me off now when you hear about people out sunbathing, driving to take their dog for a walk, etc.

We get the society we deserve and as I guess we have a society full of selfish pricks who wont even make small sacrifices to save other peoples lives, we've got what's coming to us.  The utter bastards.
    I thought the advice was to shop as little as possible, i.e. just weekly or less if you can. ANd you shoul dbe going out as little as possible, not several times a day?

Yep, that's what I thought too.

Not that we have had many rows about it .......
    Oh dear. Hasn't she read the advice? You don't need to shop every day!!! Why would you in these circs? Is there anyone who can explain in a differtent way? Show her this thread - it isn't fair on you, for one! Good luck!
    Bit rich Off It moaning about selfish pricks in the circumstances he describes.
    Sorry?
    Think you’ve called that wrong @LargeAddick. Off it also stated he’d had disagreements with his wife about it? What’s he meant to do? Lock her in the house? 
    And if he did, she wouldn't let him back in.

That's why a man needs a shed. :smile:

• Paris has banned daytime jogging (10 -7) 

The Paris authorities have banned daytime jogging in a bid to reduce contact between people and help slow the spread of the virus.
    Going out for a run is permitted under France’s lockdown rules, but in Paris doctors fear too many people are going out during daylight hours and not keeping the correct distance apart.
    The authorities also suspect some people are claiming to be taking their daily exercise, but in fact are just getting out of their homes. So it’s been decided to ban jogging between 10 in the morning and seven in the evening.
    Paris has seen a surge of cases of coronavirus in the last week, with no sign yet of the wave having peaked.
  • Took my daily exercise in the form of a dog walk this morning.
    Dog did it's business in a small grass patch on the edge of the pavement.
    Family of  4 (2 adults, 2 small kids) following along behind, clearly saw me stopped to deal with dog doo - made no attempt to stop or cross the road,  just proceeded to amble by within 3 feet of me rabbiting away to each other. 
    Later on a different Street chanced to look behind and a fellow dog walker with dog off lead gaining on me quickly, obviously no intention of deviating, got within 15 feet before I had to make the effort to cross the road.
    Finally, on the way home suddenly confronted with another family of 4, coming towards me on bikes, 4 abreast ffs.
    I stood stock still staring at them before Dad whispered to mum and the 2 kids and they switched to single file before continuing past within 3 feet of me.
    By the time I got home my blood was boiling.
    What is it with people.
    Every day that I go out it feels like it is only me crossing and re-crossing roads and generally making an effort to maintain social distancing.
    Sorry if it is the wrong thread for this.
    not only you mate, I do the same, even when out walking the dogs in our small rural village. In Bexhill this morning there were about 10 people gathered outside Boots waiting for it to open, all within an area about ten metres squared. What is it with some people that they just can't seem to understand the need for social distancing. 
  • Saw a woman this morning while en-route to work getting off a train with her dog. 

Not one to shame people but what justification would she possibly have to be on the train with her dog? 
    is it an issue though? Some people take their dogs to work. We normally have as many as three in the office some days, though due to furloughing we are currently just one a day.
    Family of  4 (2 adults, 2 small kids) following along behind, clearly saw me stopped to deal with dog doo - made no attempt to stop or cross the road,  just proceeded to amble by within 3 feet of me rabbiting away to each other. 
    Later on a different Street chanced to look behind and a fellow dog walker with dog off lead gaining on me quickly, obviously no intention of deviating, got within 15 feet before I had to make the effort to cross the road.
    Finally, on the way home suddenly confronted with another family of 4, coming towards me on bikes, 4 abreast ffs.
    I stood stock still staring at them before Dad whispered to mum and the 2 kids and they switched to single file before continuing past within 3 feet of me.
    What is it with people.
    Every day that I go out it feels like it is only me crossing and re-crossing roads and generally making an effort to maintain social distancing.
    Get yourself a Shep, people have social distancing with me for over ten years now! 
    What is it with people.
    Every day that I go out it feels like it is only me crossing and redressing roads and generally making an effort to maintain social distancing.
    I feel for you there mate I really do.
    My experience is pretty much the opposite. 
    I walk my dog in order to get my daily exercise and almost everyone I come across is respectful of keeping a safe distance. 
    Hopefully you just had a bad day and encountered some idiots. 
    Better luck tomorrow  👍
    I am sure you're right mate.
    I guess like everyone I am in a heightened state of stress and anxiety.
    My wife is in total lockdown due to auto-immune issues - really don't want to get it and pass it on.
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:
    ross1 said:

I run the engine for a few minutes every couple of days and check the tyre pressures once a week .. modern cars should be OK especially now that summer is on the way 
    Would be a good idea to pump the tyres up above their normal pressure and move the car a bit every now and then to avoid them flat spotting.
    What is it with people.
    Every day that I go out it feels like it is only me crossing and redressing roads and generally making an effort to maintain social distancing.
    I walk my dog in order to get my daily exercise and almost everyone I come across is respectful of keeping a safe distance. 
    Better luck tomorrow  👍
    My wife is in total lockdown due to auto-immune issues - really don't want to get it and pass it on.
    We live in stressful times that's for sure. 
    Good luck to both you and your wife. 
    Stay safe. 
  • edited April 2020
    ross1 said:
    Modern petrol doesn’t last that long before it starts to degrade. You’ll probably be ok after 3 months but top it up as soon as you start using it again.

You can use a fuel stabiliser, they aren’t that expensive.
    Also (and it's worth pointing out that I know almost nothing abut cars, but this gem comes from sad and expensive experience) you should move your car, from time to time, at least a few inches.  

Sounds weird, but there's a good reason for it.  If you leave your car in exactly the same position, the tyres will remain in contact with the ground at the same point, meaning the full force of the car will be placed on the same part of each of the four tyres.  After a while, this will impair degrade them unevenly, causing an issue similar to "flat spots".  If you move the car by less than the circumference of a wheel once every few days, it should prevent that issue. 
  • My missus has just gone out again. Third time today.

I'm changing the locks.
  • edited April 2020
    Off_it said:
    My missus has just gone out again. Third time today.

I'm changing the locks.
    But on the plus side, at least I can go out in the garden now for some fresh air and sunshine, because she's not sat out there.

So, every cloud ...
    What is it with people.
    Better luck tomorrow  👍
    We live in stressful times that's for sure. 
    Good luck to both you and your wife. 
    Stay safe. 
    And to you and yours mate. Cheers
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2020
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

I'm changing the locks.
    But on the plus side, at least I can go out in the garden now for some fresh air and sunshine, because she's not sat out there.

So, every cloud ...

www.relate.org.uk

• Off_it said:

I'm changing the locks.
    Did she get a call from Kyle Walker?
  • T_C_E said:
    Took my daily exercise in the form of a dog walk this morning.
    What is it with people.
    Get yourself a Shep, people have social distancing with me for over ten years now! 
    Are you certain it the dog ?

;0)
  • Mad video of London in Lockdown. It really is like a film - 

https://youtu.be/zK6oFsZNR5Q
  • T_C_E said:
    Took my daily exercise in the form of a dog walk this morning.
    What is it with people.
    Are you certain it the dog ?

;0)
    Maybe not, I prefer it that way. But Sheps are sociable animals  :D 
  • Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    I haven't left the house for two weeks now because I don't need to do any "essential" travel. The missus gets the food shopping in - as one of her apparently many "essential" trips out each day (a sore point) - and the whole thing is really starting to fuck me off now when you hear about people out sunbathing, driving to take their dog for a walk, etc.

We get the society we deserve and as I guess we have a society full of selfish pricks who wont even make small sacrifices to save other peoples lives, we've got what's coming to us.  The utter bastards.
    I thought the advice was to shop as little as possible, i.e. just weekly or less if you can. ANd you shoul dbe going out as little as possible, not several times a day?

Yep, that's what I thought too.

Not that we have had many rows about it .......
    Oh dear. Hasn't she read the advice? You don't need to shop every day!!! Why would you in these circs? Is there anyone who can explain in a differtent way? Show her this thread - it isn't fair on you, for one! Good luck!
    Bit rich Off It moaning about selfish pricks in the circumstances he describes.
    Sorry?
    Think you’ve called that wrong @LargeAddick. Off it also stated he’d had disagreements with his wife about it? What’s he meant to do? Lock her in the house? 
    Apologies to Off It, I see that he obviously disagrees with his wife’s actions and of course locking her in the house isn’t a sensible option. However, the new patio seems a very good idea .....
    Anything that makes her see sense!
    What is it with people.
    I really don't understand how or why people can't understand and adhere to basic advice. 

Is there anyone on here who is prepared to admit to not adhereing to it that could possibly explain why?
  • edited April 2020
    Off_it said:

I'm changing the locks
    Really, by early afternoon? Why are her trips 'essential'? Is she immune to the situation? Seriously I am struggling to understand but want to
  • iainment said:
    Carter said:
    ross1 said:
    Just start it up on your drive or wherever it is parked and let it run for 15 to 25 minutes mate, it shouldn't need that but it will put your mind at rest. Fords are predictably unpredictable!

No need to go out for a drive and panic yourself
    Isn’t it against the law, in London anyway, to let your car idle?
    Do t think so.