Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

“Essential Travel”

Comments

• Options
    Don’t think so but may be wrong.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    ross1 said:
    I have not used my car now for nearly 4 weeks, I was thinking about going for a 10 minute run around the local area, not stopping and with windows up, as I hate to think will the car start if left for 3 months without a run. It is a 2012 Ford, for you experts who would know of any problems
    Just start it up on your drive or wherever it is parked and let it run for 15 to 25 minutes mate, it shouldn't need that but it will put your mind at rest. Fords are predictably unpredictable!

No need to go out for a drive and panic yourself
    To keep the battery charged you should let it idle at 2,500 rpm. Any less and it won’t charge properly, any more and you’re just wasting fuel. 
  • Options
    I go and see my kids every 3 days just for a dog walk. Not sure if that’s allowed but would tell the police that’s what I am doing if stopped and only a 4 mile journey. 
  • Options
    I go and see my kids every 3 days just for a dog walk. Not sure if that’s allowed but would tell the police that’s what I am doing if stopped and only a 4 mile journey. 
    In theory not as more than the allowed distance from home. Maybe different if they are under 18? And do you stay 2m+ apart when you get there? But in context, far less than others are doing driving further to walk dogs they can do closer to home etc. I see the issue being that individual non-compliance seems ok e.g sunbathing 2m from anyone else for half an hour whilst out in the park for daily exercise. However, the problem is if more people tried to do it, it wouldn't be ok. So no one should as others are adhering to the guidance
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    My missus has just gone out again. Third time today.

I'm changing the locks.
    Seriously, why is she flouting the rules, why is she continually going out?
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Carter said:
    ross1 said:
    I have not used my car now for nearly 4 weeks, I was thinking about going for a 10 minute run around the local area, not stopping and with windows up, as I hate to think will the car start if left for 3 months without a run. It is a 2012 Ford, for you experts who would know of any problems
    Just start it up on your drive or wherever it is parked and let it run for 15 to 25 minutes mate, it shouldn't need that but it will put your mind at rest. Fords are predictably unpredictable!

No need to go out for a drive and panic yourself
    Isn’t it against the law, in London anyway, to let your car idle?
    Do t think so.
    The Road Vehicle Regulations (1986) give authorities the power to fine people who let their cars idle unnecessarily.
    The fine is £20 I think.
  • Options
    I’m not familiar with those regulations so can’t comment on what unnecessarily may mean.

While of course under normal circumstances running the car while not moving is unnecessary and indeed most modern cars automatically shut the engine off when static, keeping the battery of cars alive could well be considered necessary and will produce significantly less emissions than their standard (probably also partly unnecessary) use. 
  • Options
    I am a key worker and am fortunate that I have parking at my place of work, but I am amazed at the amount of people out and about in groups as I travel into London. My wife is a teacher and they are on a rotational base going into work for key worker children and apart from when she has to go into work she has not left the house. Its not difficult to stay inside just takes self discipline and a bit of common, yes go for your daily exercise take a walk round the block then back home. Go and do a shop that will last you 3-4 days but please stay inside  
  • Options
    Exactly. Although should be possible to shop once a week unless maybe there is a problem carrying or transporting the shopping. Absoultely no need to do out several times a week let alone a day
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    It is much safer to drive anywhere than walk because you are in an insulated capsule.  The two metre rule is rubbish because sneezes can travel up to eight.  Was out yesterday and some kid about three metres from me coughed. Parents hadn't taught him to put hand to mouth. Wanted to berate them but hurried away. Hope for no repercussions.

The Scottish politician in press put nobody at risk.  Too much non impact news out there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Took my daily exercise in the form of a dog walk this morning.
    Dog did it's business in a small grass patch on the edge of the pavement.
    Family of  4 (2 adults, 2 small kids) following along behind, clearly saw me stopped to deal with dog doo - made no attempt to stop or cross the road,  just proceeded to amble by within 3 feet of me rabbiting away to each other. 
    Later on a different Street chanced to look behind and a fellow dog walker with dog off lead gaining on me quickly, obviously no intention of deviating, got within 15 feet before I had to make the effort to cross the road.
    Finally, on the way home suddenly confronted with another family of 4, coming towards me on bikes, 4 abreast ffs.
    I stood stock still staring at them before Dad whispered to mum and the 2 kids and they switched to single file before continuing past within 3 feet of me.
    By the time I got home my blood was boiling.
    What is it with people.
    Every day that I go out it feels like it is only me crossing and re-crossing roads and generally making an effort to maintain social distancing.
    Sorry if it is the wrong thread for this.
    Sympathise with you @Six-a-bag-of-nuts.  I take a daily exercise walk - only about a mile and half - but it is most unenjoyable as I constantly try to avoid people.  A couple of weeks back I made the mistake of taking a phone call while on my walk.  Whilst my eye was off the ball, two joggers ran past me not a fag paper distant.  Both were overweight, sweating profusely, blowing hard and smelly. 

To make matters worse I have a vivid imagination and thanks to those bloody vaper smokers, I now know exactly how far and how dense germs can carry - as the vaper trails from their mouths graphically demonstrate.  I used to imagine that little covid germ emerging, but even that has got out of proportion for me.  :(

bigstock-Floating-mines-at-sea-21450776 - Second Line of Defense  
  • Options
    Exactly. Although should be possible to shop once a week unless maybe there is a problem carrying or transporting the shopping. Absoultely no need to do out several times a week let alone a day
    a single weekly shop and managing to get all the things you need for the next 7 days ?

• Options
    It is much safer to drive anywhere than walk because you are in an insulated capsule.  The two metre rule is rubbish because sneezes can travel up to eight.  Was out yesterday and some kid about three metres from me coughed. Parents hadn't taught him to put hand to mouth. Wanted to berate them but hurried away. Hope for no repercussions.

The Scottish politician in press put nobody at risk.  Too much non impact news out there.
      She put many many people at risk.
  • Options
    a single weekly shop and managing to get all the things you need for the next 7 days ?

Not having a car I shop most days. For the paper if nothing else.
  • Options
    Got a call from a mate last night, sent me a RangeRover quick jaunt up to Manchester to meet up with him and the BITCHES!

If this isn't essential travel then the government are clueless!
  • Options

Ideally yes or less frequently if possible. In fact as infrequently as possible. Appreciate that those without a veihle may be limited to what they can manage
  • Options

She put many many people at risk.
    Exactly! SL are you missing the point on purpose?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Yeah, let's all go out. And in our cars. If I keep my distance I'm fine. No issue. If I want to travel to my holiday home then I can.

Except if everyone did that then nobody would be able to keep their distance would they? If it was business as usual then it would be spreading like wildfire. That's why people are being told/asked to stay indoors.

But some people just think of themselves. They think they are a special case and the rules/guidelines dont apply to them. They go out when they dont need to. They drive in their cars. They go to their holiday home. They sunbathe in the park. It's not a problem.

As people die around them.

This
  • Options

That’s what we’ve done for the last three weeks. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I have now modified my shopping to once a fortnight. There nothing that I can’t make last for 14 days with some care and planning. Stay home is the best advice you get get right now.
  • Options
    Is it wrong to want to report bellends from driving to my road, parking outside my house and unloading dogs and children to walk down the river footpath opposite my house? It's bloody annoying how people ignore the advice.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Is it wrong to want to report bellends from driving to my road, parking outside my house and unloading dogs and children to walk down the river footpath opposite my house? It's bloody annoying how people ignore the advice.
    Slash their tyres Daz
  • Options

Shouldn't be covering your mouth with your hand when coughing, you should cough into a tissue and bin it. If you don't have a tissue the advice is to cough into your elbow. 
  • Options
    Are dogs allowed off their leads in parks and recs?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Absolutely.

Mine would get next to no exercise if I kept him on the lead as I meander around Mote Park.
  • Options
    Not all parks.
    In parks managed by RBG there are parks and areas within parks that are no dogs or dogs on leads zones.
    used to be dog control order legislation but now is falls under public space protection orders.
  • Options

Shouldn't be covering your mouth with your hand when coughing, you should cough into a tissue and bin it. If you don't have a tissue the advice is to cough into your elbow. 
    Don't care as long as they don't cough at me. But highlights government misinformation about two metre rule, along with inconclusive antibody tests, failure to isolate clear communities and quarantine overseas returnees for 14 days plus, and take on board lessons from countries coping better than us.
  • Options
    I live on the flight path to Biggin Hill. There still a lot of private jets taking off and landing.
    I suppose some people’s needs are more essential than others.