Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

“Essential Travel”

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2020
    I think @DOUCHER posted this link on the other thread.  

It is really useful and gives pretty clear answers on many FAQs that we all likely have

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do#how-can-i-find-out-if-my-work-is-essential-or-not 

Point 14 addresses the thread question.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Rob said:
    Does your official directive specifically mention anything about driving to an exercise spot?
    No.

Indeed, the Health Secretary said 'a 5 minute drive' was acceptable.
    It's a bit like here, they've brought in permits, but the options cover just about anything you'd do normally eg - go to work, go shopping, to the Dr's, help out someone at risk and exersise. Going to the restaurant / pictures etc obviously isn't on there, but they're closed anyway, so they're basically relying on people to show common sense and not abuse the system put in place. 
  • Options
    On Question Time, the week before last, Matt Hancock said it was okay to drive 5 minutes then go for a walk. This was a stupid thing to say as it gave many the green light to take their car out. 
    I believe the 5 min / 5 mile thing is still ok. But I wouldn't. Cant you stick to Dartford heath for the next 4-6 weeks. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I haven't left the house for two weeks now because I don't need to do any "essential" travel. The missus gets the food shopping in - as one of her apparently many "essential" trips out each day (a sore point) - and the whole thing is really starting to fuck me off now when you hear about people out sunbathing, driving to take their dog for a walk, etc.

We get the society we deserve and as I guess we have a society full of selfish pricks who wont even make small sacrifices to save other peoples lives, we've got what's coming to us.  The utter bastards.
    I thought the advice was to shop as little as possible, i.e. just weekly or less if you can. ANd you shoul dbe going out as little as possible, not several times a day?

• Options
    iainment said:

Even though I have been completely on me j since the 14/03, with only one trip out to the blood test lab the other week, reading this type of thing in these times does make me feel very privileged that I'm currently hold up on just over 3 acres of isolated woodland, with just the 3 dogs as company. Makes me wonder why I’m so eager to get back into the thick of it, but I am

You’re very lucky. I think what I’ve learnt from this is how much I want to go back to our place in Ireland. We have a reasonably isolated old farm house with plenty of land to use for exercise or just loafing around. 
    I think once this is over if our finances stack up we might let our house out here and go back.
    Hard being completely on me own though mate, my Mrs is still stuck in UK.

It comes to something though when you gotta be grateful for not living within a couple of miles of anyone because you'll probably cop it if you get this virus lol.

And I can't see these rules being relaxed anytime soon. I was saying to Dave 123 on Facebook messenger the other day, it ain't like they're gonna say after another 2 weeks, right that's it folks, you can all go back to normality now.. Reckon this is gonna last for a good few months yet 
    I don’t envy the being on your own part but having a bit of space sounds wonderful.
    Like you I don’t think things will be back to normal for a good few months, maybe not until next year.

Look after yourself.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I haven't left the house for two weeks now because I don't need to do any "essential" travel. The missus gets the food shopping in - as one of her apparently many "essential" trips out each day (a sore point) - and the whole thing is really starting to fuck me off now when you hear about people out sunbathing, driving to take their dog for a walk, etc.

We get the society we deserve and as I guess we have a society full of selfish pricks who wont even make small sacrifices to save other peoples lives, we've got what's coming to us.  The utter bastards.
    I thought the advice was to shop as little as possible, i.e. just weekly or less if you can. ANd you shoul dbe going out as little as possible, not several times a day?

Yep, that's what I thought too.

Not that we have had many rows about it .......
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

Even though I have been completely on me j since the 14/03, with only one trip out to the blood test lab the other week, reading this type of thing in these times does make me feel very privileged that I'm currently hold up on just over 3 acres of isolated woodland, with just the 3 dogs as company. Makes me wonder why I’m so eager to get back into the thick of it, but I am

You’re very lucky. I think what I’ve learnt from this is how much I want to go back to our place in Ireland. We have a reasonably isolated old farm house with plenty of land to use for exercise or just loafing around. 
    I think once this is over if our finances stack up we might let our house out here and go back.
    Hard being completely on me own though mate, my Mrs is still stuck in UK.

It comes to something though when you gotta be grateful for not living within a couple of miles of anyone because you'll probably cop it if you get this virus lol.

And I can't see these rules being relaxed anytime soon. I was saying to Dave 123 on Facebook messenger the other day, it ain't like they're gonna say after another 2 weeks, right that's it folks, you can all go back to normality now.. Reckon this is gonna last for a good few months yet 
    I don’t envy the being on your own part but having a bit of space sounds wonderful.
    Like you I don’t think things will be back to normal for a good few months, maybe not until next year.

Look after yourself.
    Cheers mate, you too
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I think what we all have to do is look at the guidance and instructions and understand as much as we can about the virus and apply that to our actions. What should not be a factor is what we would prefer to be the case.  So whilst it goes against the guidance, I am not going to get too angry at somebody who lives somewhere where they can go out two or three times without getting near anybody or touching anything.

This is based on what I understand to be the case and what I think is behind the guidance. That is, if you have one family having a BBQ on the beach and you let that happen, others will follow. It is unlikely they were infecting anybody although there may be a risk of somebody later sat on the same spot. Likewise the Scottish chief medical officer. I suspect her knowledge told her that her family getting in their car and driving from one house to another would not pose a great risk. But of course the issue is the example it sets.

So in our household we are getting 15 minutes a day walking exercise (including the dog) and going nowhere near anybody (far more than 2 metres or touching anything). But if somebody is doing that for a bit longer, I am not going to foam at the mouth over it. But if they are getting close to people, sitting on benches etc...they shouldn't and I will. The danger is, if we think what we are doing is safe, we may be wrong or have different ideas and there is an element of common sense in this.

I personally don't think people should be cycling or jogging without face masks. Surely you are more likely to shed the virus doing these activities. And certainly any person doing these must never get anywhere near anybody else or they are being extremely selfish. The most sensible advice I heard is when you go out, assume you have it. Whilst yo probably haven't, that mindset should affect how you go about it. Surely nobody wants to infect anybody. I would be mortified if I did so. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2020
    I think what we all have to do is look at the guidance and instructions and understand as much as we can about the virus and apply that to our actions. What should not be a factor is what we would prefer to be the case.  So whilst it goes against the guidance, I am not going to get too angry at somebody who lives somewhere where they can go out two or three times without getting near anybody or touching anything.

This is based on what I understand to be the case and what I think is behind the guidance. That is, if you have one family having a BBQ on the beach and you let that happen, others will follow. It is unlikely they were infecting anybody although there may be a risk of somebody later sat on the same spot. Likewise the Scottish chief medical officer. I suspect her knowledge told her that her family getting in their car and driving from one house to another would not pose a great risk. But of course the issue is the example it sets.

So in our household we are getting 15 minutes a day walking exercise (including the dog) and going nowhere near anybody (far more than 2 metres or touching anything). But if somebody is doing that for a bit longer, I am not going to foam at the mouth over it. But if they are getting close to people, sitting on benches etc...they shouldn't and I will. The danger is, if we think what we are doing is safe, we may be wrong or have different ideas and there is an element of common sense in this.

I personally don't think people should be cycling or jogging without face masks. Surely you are more likely to shed the virus doing these activities. And certainly any person doing these must never get anywhere near anybody else or they are being extremely selfish. The most sensible advice I heard is when you go out, assume you have it. Whilst yo probably haven't, that mindset should affect how you go about it. Surely nobody wants to infect anybody. I would be mortified if I did so. 

I frequently see people jogging and cycling side by side on the pavement, going past my house.
  • Options
    Confusion on this here too to be honest -

Essential, as in your work is essential, or it's essential that you have tyo go to work as you cannot work from home? 
  • Options
    If I see two people jogging I assume they are from the same household. But they have to be doing it somewhere where they are not close to anybody. I don't think anybody should be cycling side by side. It can be too hard to avoid people given the speed they mat be going. To be honest, I am not comfortable with anybody cycling now I think about it.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
  • Options
    If I see two people jogging I assume they are from the same household. But they have to be doing it somewhere where they are not close to anybody. I don't think anybody should be cycling side by side. It can be too hard to avoid people given the speed they mat be going. To be honest, I am not comfortable with anybody cycling now I think about it.
    I cycle on cycle paths or the road. Never a pedestrian only space. If someone chooses to walk in the spaces I use, and they do, I can’t see why I’m in the wrong.
    There are as many, proportionally, idiots who walk, jog or cycle. I always cycle with the assumption that people will do stupid things either through ignorance or malice and try to be as far as is possible from them. I really don’t like fearing or having a collision.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Until the guidelines are made less interpretive or we work out a consensus then there will be some people annoying others (on both sides of the argument) with their interpretation of essential.
    Personally I just walk to the shops when needed and go for a daily exercise ride on my bike. If either or both are taken away I fear for my mental health.
    I appreciate that getting out is important but is it more important than perhaps being responsible for someone’s death ? Staying home really is very important. Would being denied access to exercise for a couple of weeks and only being allowed out to food shop or get medicine really impact your mental health ? I understand that we are all very different and have our different mental health histories but taking all things being equal, I have to say that not being allowed out to walk and exercise the dog wouldn’t bother me one jot in the real scheme of things. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Essential, as in your work is essential, or it's essential that you have tyo go to work as you cannot work from home? 
      No confusion.

The government has said you must work from home unless you absolutely cannot.

Which is a huge part of the problem.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

No confusion.

We know that, but I'm talking about how the masses read it. 
  • Options
    Never realised how many dogs there are.

Half of them must hardly ever get walked. Now they probably feel like they are training to walk the Great Wall of China. 

You weren't up The Miller Of Bexley in the early 00's then mate. There's poodles of em

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Yep, that's what I thought too.

Not that we have had many rows about it .......
    Lock the doors and hide the keys. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    We are still doing the Joe Wickes PE session every morning at 9am and I’ve been recommending it to everyone. 

If you do all the exercises (normally A warm up, 10 lots of 30 sec exercises with a 30 sec gap, a 2 minute gap and either repeat the cycle or a new set of 10) you will have a very decent workout no matter how fit you are. The fitter you are, the faster and harder you can do the exercises. 

I’ve felt great after doing the workout most days (I was a bit ill and the breathing issues made it harder).

Both me and my son are getting stronger as a result of doing it daily. My 30 second press-up and burpee numbers are climbing daily.

Im not sure I’d have started it if my 10 year old hadn’t been isolating with me but now we are through that and he is seeing his mum again, I’ll do it ever y morning he isn’t at mine as well.

Ive been really impressed. 

Nothing to be proud of - I can easily do a press up in 30 seconds, most of the time.
    No one likes a show off Bob. 😉
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    We are still doing the Joe Wickes PE session every morning at 9am and I’ve been recommending it to everyone. 

If you do all the exercises (normally A warm up, 10 lots of 30 sec exercises with a 30 sec gap, a 2 minute gap and either repeat the cycle or a new set of 10) you will have a very decent workout no matter how fit you are. The fitter you are, the faster and harder you can do the exercises. 

I’ve felt great after doing the workout most days (I was a bit ill and the breathing issues made it harder).

Both me and my son are getting stronger as a result of doing it daily. My 30 second press-up and burpee numbers are climbing daily.

Im not sure I’d have started it if my 10 year old hadn’t been isolating with me but now we are through that and he is seeing his mum again, I’ll do it ever y morning he isn’t at mine as well.

Ive been really impressed. 

Nothing to be proud of - I can easily do a press up in 30 seconds, most of the time.
    Yeah, but a 30 second burp is pretty impressive. 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Until the guidelines are made less interpretive or we work out a consensus then there will be some people annoying others (on both sides of the argument) with their interpretation of essential.
    Personally I just walk to the shops when needed and go for a daily exercise ride on my bike. If either or both are taken away I fear for my mental health.
    I appreciate that getting out is important but is it more important than perhaps being responsible for someone’s death ? Staying home really is very important. Would being denied access to exercise for a couple of weeks and only being allowed out to food shop or get medicine really impact your mental health ? I understand that we are all very different and have our different mental health histories but taking all things being equal, I have to say that not being allowed out to walk and exercise the dog wouldn’t bother me one jot in the real scheme of things. 
    I’m following the guidelines as far as I can see. And yes if they got more restrictive I think because of the context my mental health would suffer. 
  • Options
    Never realised how many dogs there are.

Half of them must hardly ever get walked. Now they probably feel like they are training to walk the Great Wall of China. 

You weren't up The Miller Of Bexley in the early 00's then mate. There's oodles of em
    And not many of them were toilet trained either.
  • Options

No confusion.

We know that, but I'm talking about how the masses read it. 
     Pretty much how you and I read it.
     Go to work but try and stay away from people.
    They've made no exceptions for essential or non essential work.
    Just work that can or can't be done at home.
  • Options
    And I think that is fair, As long as people are following the guidelines as they understand them and not how they want to understand them, they are doing all they can. My understanding is that you can cycle so you are not disobeying the rules. I am not comfortable because I have seen some inconsiderate cyclists, but then there are inconsiderate walkers.