Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

“Essential Travel”

Comments

• Options
    Maybe everyone should just act like adults and use common sense. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    I haven't left the house for two weeks now because I don't need to do any "essential" travel. The missus gets the food shopping in - as one of her apparently many "essential" trips out each day (a sore point) - and the whole thing is really starting to fuck me off now when you hear about people out sunbathing, driving to take their dog for a walk, etc.

We get the society we deserve and as I guess we have a society full of selfish pricks who wont even make small sacrifices to save other peoples lives, we've got what's coming to us.  The utter bastards.
    I thought the advice was to shop as little as possible, i.e. just weekly or less if you can. ANd you shoul dbe going out as little as possible, not several times a day?

Yep, that's what I thought too.

Not that we have had many rows about it .......
    Oh dear. Hasn't she read the advice? You don't need to shop every day!!! Why would you in these circs? Is there anyone who can explain in a differtent way? Show her this thread - it isn't fair on you, for one! Good luck!
  • Options
    I think the problem is that common sense is too subjective.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I think the problem is that common sense is too subjective.

It's that common sense is sadly uncommon.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    I haven't left the house for two weeks now because I don't need to do any "essential" travel. The missus gets the food shopping in - as one of her apparently many "essential" trips out each day (a sore point) - and the whole thing is really starting to fuck me off now when you hear about people out sunbathing, driving to take their dog for a walk, etc.

We get the society we deserve and as I guess we have a society full of selfish pricks who wont even make small sacrifices to save other peoples lives, we've got what's coming to us.  The utter bastards.
    I thought the advice was to shop as little as possible, i.e. just weekly or less if you can. ANd you shoul dbe going out as little as possible, not several times a day?

Oh dear. Hasn't she read the advice? You don't need to shop every day!!! Why would you in these circs? Is there anyone who can explain in a differtent way? Show her this thread - it isn't fair on you, for one! Good luck!
    Bit rich Off It moaning about selfish pricks in the circumstances he describes.
  • Options
    Confusion on this here too to be honest -

Essential, as in your work is essential, or it's essential that you have tyo go to work as you cannot work from home? 
      No confusion.

The government has said you must work from home unless you absolutely cannot.

Which is a huge part of the problem.
    We know that, but I'm talking about how the masses read it. 
     Pretty much how you and I read it.
     Go to work but try and stay away from people.
    They've made no exceptions for essential or non essential work.
    Just work that can or can't be done at home.
    But this is contributing to the overcrowding on the tube and some key workers have no option but to travel on packed tubes
  • Options
    On way home from food shopping today I was forced to go into the small Post Office just off Swingate Lane in SE18. Two in queue in front of me. Both outside with one customer at a time inside. All queuing to social distancing guidelines. There’s a chippy two doors along. Constant stream of builders and lads in working clothes all piling in and not a hint of distancing in sight. I really don’t get it. Is it stupidity, arrogance or the feeling of invincibility? 
  • Options
    Saw a woman this morning while en-route to work getting off a train with her dog. 

Not one to shame people but what justification would she possibly have to be on the train with her dog? 
  • Options

Essential, as in your work is essential, or it's essential that you have tyo go to work as you cannot work from home? 
      No confusion.

But this is contributing to the overcrowding on the tube and some key workers have no option but to travel on packed tubes
     I agree and I see t as a kind of scaled down herd immunity.
  • Options

No confusion.

I don't think the herd immunity agenda ever went away.  

Even at the outset they said it would be ratcheted in terms of lockdown in line with NHS capacity.

I think the narrative has changed to become more palatable after the uproar weeks ago but if there was true desire to lockdown then people like me working in offices wouldn't have the scope to be classified as key financial workers and they would put not vital building projects on hold etc.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

No confusion.

I don't think the herd immunity agenda ever went away.  

Even at the outset they said it would be ratcheted in terms of lockdown in line with NHS capacity.

I think the narrative has changed to become more palatable after the uproar weeks ago but if there was true desire to lockdown then people like me working in offices wouldn't have the scope to be classified as key financial workers and they would put not vital building projects on hold etc.

I think Herd immunity has always been seen as the solution as a vaccine is likely to take over a year at least. The issue is about controlling the numbers so they don't ever get out of hand.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Saw a woman this morning while en-route to work getting off a train with her dog. 

Not one to shame people but what justification would she possibly have to be on the train with her dog? 
    Assistance dog?
    As in a guide dog? No it definitely wasn't. 
  • Options
    I find now is a time when too many people are jumping to judgement out of some, probably well intentioned, ignorance.
    It’s probably best for your own blood pressure to assume the best of people when you can. And keep well away if you can.
    As said there are many types of assistance dogs out there.
  • Options
    We street walk our dogs during the week, but on sunday I drove them to the local dog park (2 very large fields) so they can be let off the lead and have a good run. Yes, I could have walked them there, as it's only a 15 minute stroll, but it's country lanes, most not having any footpath and they would've been too tired out to walk back (They're both small dogs). As long as social distancing is kept, I see no problem
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Sorry?
  • Options
    I have not used my car now for nearly 4 weeks, I was thinking about going for a 10 minute run around the local area, not stopping and with windows up, as I hate to think will the car start if left for 3 months without a run. It is a 2012 Ford, for you experts who would know of any problems
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Sorry?
    Think you’ve called that wrong @LargeAddick. Off it also stated he’d had disagreements with his wife about it? What’s he meant to do? Lock her in the house? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Sorry?
    Think you’ve called that wrong @LargeAddick. Off it also stated he’d had disagreements with his wife about it? What’s he meant to do? Lock her in the house? 
    Reckon Off Its missus will be more concerned that he’s got a wife!
  • Options
    We street walk our dogs during the week, but on sunday I drove them to the local dog park (2 very large fields) so they can be let off the lead and have a good run. Yes, I could have walked them there, as it's only a 15 minute stroll, but it's country lanes, most not having any footpath and they would've been too tired out to walk back (They're both small dogs). As long as social distancing is kept, I see no problem
    I do. You're describing taking an unnecessary journey. It's not the biggest crime or most heinous act, but you shouldn't do it.  
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I have not used my car now for nearly 4 weeks, I was thinking about going for a 10 minute run around the local area, not stopping and with windows up, as I hate to think will the car start if left for 3 months without a run. It is a 2012 Ford, for you experts who would know of any problems
    Just start it up on your drive or wherever it is parked and let it run for 15 to 25 minutes mate, it shouldn't need that but it will put your mind at rest. Fords are predictably unpredictable!

No need to go out for a drive and panic yourself
  • Options
    Carter said:
    ross1 said:
    Just start it up on your drive or wherever it is parked and let it run for 15 to 25 minutes mate, it shouldn't need that but it will put your mind at rest. Fords are predictably unpredictable!

Isn’t it against the law, in London anyway, to let your car idle?
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Carter said:
    ross1 said:

Why is it that whenever somebody tries to give some advice, there is always someone who will knock the advice back. By the way, I do not live in London, in fact in a small village miles away
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Modern petrol doesn’t last that long before it starts to degrade. You’ll probably be ok after 3 months but top it up as soon as you start using it again.

You can use a fuel stabiliser, they aren’t that expensive.
  • Options
    If you left your car for 3 months, then the main issue would be the battery running flat unless you have a charger
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    iainment said:
    Carter said:
    ross1 said:

Why is it that whenever somebody tries to give some advice, there is always someone who will knock the advice back. By the way, I do not live in London, in fact in a small village miles away

I’m sorry if you didn’t like what I said. But I am regularly effected by people idling their car outside my house, my road ends as a dead end by a pond. And people think it’s ok to sit in their cars at all hours with the engine running and playing music loudly.
    Maybe I’m just overreacting but it drives me wild being subject to noise and engine pollution several days a week.
    I didn’t know you lived outside London  and hope you don’t cause any problems to your neighbours by just idling your car. I’m sure you don’t want to make your problem their problem.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Sorry?
    Apologies to Off It, I see that he obviously disagrees with his wife’s actions and of course locking her in the house isn’t a sensible option. However, the new patio seems a very good idea .....
  • Options
    When the lockdown first started we too drove to a remote local wood so the dogs could have a good run around and expend some energy. We never see anyone else in there because they are well off the beaten track. We didn’t see anything wrong in doing so. It was only later on reflection that I thought ‘what if we’d had an accident’ and so needed the emergency services or ‘what if we’d broken down’ and had needed to call out the RAC? We’d have been unnecessarily putting others at risk. So there is a problem in doing what you suggest.