Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Fulham | Wednesday 22 January 2020 Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Great hard earned point against a very expensive Fulham side.
    We’ve a lot of decent, hard working players, and Cullen, Taylor and Williams. 
    If ESI could bring in two or three more of their quality we’d be absolutely flying.
    Pleeeeeease?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Those Fulham highlights were good on Sky.  Could we not at least of had the worst corner this decade in there?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    Sky voted Tom Blockyer as Man of the Match.

"Fulham had only failed to score in one of their previous Championship games before Wednesday night, but they were held at arm's length for the majority of the night at The Valley.

Charlton's defence was exceptional and no one showed more commitment at the back than Lockyer - who tackled, headed, blocked and cleared everything that came his way."

Well I never Oggster I made Lockyer my MOM as well
    with a 7.5 (I don't give 8+ away lightly) but what do I know about the beautiful game 😉.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Oggy Red said:
    2121 said:
    Fulham did miss a sitter we were lucky with that. Defender hector came round the back and headed wide
    That's why he's a defender.  :smiley:

Who was supposed to be picking him up then because Hector should've buried that and it was almost Bauer at Preston again 😡.
    Pearce is marking him and then completely loses him

https://www.skysports.com/football/charlton-vs-fulham/report/409688
    Blimey, none of our attacks were included in the highlights! A bit harsh, I thought the Taylor cross to Williams was one of the best bits of football in the match

Fulham really should have been ahead by that stage though.
  • Options
    To further underline Cullens importance to us.

We were 2-0 up against cardiff when he got injured in October? (Or early november?) We drew 2-2 and have won 1 game since.
    Very good performance after a long lay off, possibly a yard off the pace the longer the game went on but to be expected. He's has been a massive loss, great to have him back. He can now have a nice 10 day recovery with time to increase his fitness levels to face Barnsley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It wasn't the most entertaining game but what a shift the boys in red put in , what more can you ask. Great fighting qualities , from the team as always. Lyle , Williams and Cullen coming back things are looking up
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Oggy Red said:
    2121 said:
    Fulham did miss a sitter we were lucky with that. Defender hector came round the back and headed wide

Who was supposed to be picking him up then because Hector should've buried that and it was almost Bauer at Preston again 😡.

Blimey, none of our attacks were included in the highlights! 
    Yeah ..... I watched the highlights and thought Fulham had won 5-0.

• Options
    Good result given uncertainties off the pitch and recent form on it. We got better and 0-0 was fair in the end. However - we must start a run of getting results.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    RedChaser said:
    Oggy Red said:
    2121 said:

Blimey, none of our attacks were included in the highlights! 
    Yeah ..... I watched the highlights and thought Fulham had won 5-0.

To be fair they had 11 shots to our 4, 4 on target to our 1 (the Doughty shot I assume)
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    PAR....(Posted after reading)....so thanks for all the mentions lads  😊. Now onto my thoughts of the game.

Didnt realise how much we missed Cullen. No chance in hell we'd be able to afford him (transfer fee and/or wages) but we've had for 2 years which is about the going rate for players these days.

Which brings me to Taylor. I admit I was one of those doubting that we'd ever see him in a CAFC shirt again & I now think he wont be leaving in this window......although I dont think he'll sign a new contract & will be off in the summer. Just make the most of him now as he could be the difference between relegation & staying up. 

Dougherty needs to practice with a slipper on his left foot as currently the fact he cant use his right is the only thing letting him down. 3 times he had a chance to do something with the ball (first after he ran the length of the pitch only to falter on the edge of the box as he couldn't cross it......second when he got into the box and being closed had to pull it back to Oztumer (who shot wildly)......and third when in a similar position he shot into the side netting). Can't fault him otherwise & I would have him in the team permanently even when all the others are back fully fit. JUST PLAY HIM ON THE LEFT.

Dont get the love for Oztumer or Hemed tonight. I appreciate that both are not fully first but neither really gave us much & are squad players at best. 

Finally, I can only wonder how bad other teams must be at set pieces if we were (supposedly) one of the top scorers in the league at corners. Absolutely woeful & I'd have them practicing them all next week until someone can drop the ball into the box without hitting the first defender, or overhitting it or (Yes you Oztumer) not even getting the ball over at all. 

• Options
    Sarr dropped to the bench... First clean sheet since October...coincidence?
    Cullen back and finally able to play 4 at the back has definitely helped. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Sarr dropped to the bench... First clean sheet since October...coincidence?
    Sarr played in our previous clean sheet. But then, so did Cullen, and as everyone has pointed out, he's why we were so much more solid today

Scored that day as well. If Naby had played yesterday we'd have won!

• Options
    Really pleased with that, 

The terrific news about Bowyer, and his "I'm delighted" interview just fills you with joy, he is the man!

The performance was so much more solid, Cullen makes all the difference, and Taylor's cameo just shows how good he is and what a threat he can pose. 

We need about 5 wins, I think with senior players coming back we can really achieve that, we want the first one asap, get the confidence going. 

So, we need the backroom staff signed, 3 bodies in on the last day, one of which is beyond expectation, a solid 2-0 against Barnsley and we will be properly rocking again. 

Happy from Melbourne 

• Options
    Solid point.

I was the bloke that caught that big looping ball on the halfway line. WSE Block.

Good game, think we could have nicked it had we brought Green on with Taylor, Ozzy was knackered.

Real shift by everyone.
  • Options
    Surprised that a lot of them seem unhappy with Parker.
    ""Essentially we've Premier League players and a League One manager. "" made me laugh.

Anyway,great point for us and feels like light at the end of the tunnel. Fingers crossed no new injury concers before Barnsley game
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Fulham were a decent team without an end product because they didn’t have a natural striker on the pitch. They looked like a bunch of really good players but they only had one game plan, pass it to somebody else. All charlton had to do was harass them. At half time I thought we were going to win and was saying we just needed to bring Williams and Taylor on to take the game. Personally, I think LB left it a bit late with the changes. Williams, Cullen, Oztumer and Pratley were in their element together and when Lyle came on it totally fucked Fulham’s composure. Not quite where we were before the injuries started to occur but shades of the team that started the season so well definitely showed last night. A nice little break now to get ready for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    How do we fit Williams and Doughty on that far left? I don't think we can. 
  • Options
    Great point against a far better technical side...what a difference taylor and Williams make when their in the side. ..
    As well as Taylor, so important to sign up Williams.  As soon as he came on a very composed Fulham defence  looked nervous and rattled